Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DoE testing - The Last Word

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WildWater

superfly35 wrote: »
    I got my letter today and it does not make me happy to be honest. :mad:

The cost of it is ridiculous, and as my camper is more then 10 years old, and I don't think I do 2000 km a year it is a costy business.

Hi Superfly I don't like the cost any more than you do but it is not the RSA's fault that you only do ~2000km a year. Get out more man and get better value for your money :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭camper guy

hi wildwater
    From what you say that sounds correct but..the rsa letter says

"from 1st of march 2012 that they will accept crw's issued for motor caravans which are under ten years old as being valid,(even with an elapsed expiry date)provided that the date on which the test was carried out on the vehicle is not more than twenty four months from the date on which the demand is made ."
    same applys for vehicles which are over ten years old.

camper guy wrote: »
    hi wildwater

"from 1st of march 2012 that they will accept crw's issued for motor caravans which are under ten years old as being valid,(even with an elapsed expiry date)provided that the date on which the test was carried out on the vehicle is not more than twenty four months from the date on which the demand is made ."

You may have a point but I'm the kind of guy that prefers not to have to argue interpretative points with an Garda at the side of the road or worse later in court (especially if this is taking place in the aftermath of an accident). If it were me I would get it done but that's just me.

Hi Wildwater,
    I understand your point of view , you are probably correct to test your van this year just in case. I'm going to keep my letter with my old doe cert . And quiz the local Garda.
    and thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭niloc1951

hi wildwater

FWIW this is my interpretation
    To fall in line with the 4:2:2:2:1 system the first test under the new regs is due on the first time an anniversary of first registration occurs after the expiry of a cert received pre 1st March 2012.

So, the cert from January 2011 has an expiry date January 2012, your van is over 10 years old, therefore it needs to be tested on or before the next time the anniversary of its first registration comes around.

Example
    If it was first registered on 09/09/1999, its next due date will be 09/09/2012

:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Pjwal wrote: »
    The reports are on computer and sent electronicaly at the end of each month to the rsa. So once a test is done, the results are available to the rsa and guards at the start of the next calender month.

Yes, I did correct myself on this in a later post.

Hi all,
    tested my camper van last January2011, from what I have read in rsa letter yesterday this allows me twelve months till January 2013 .Am i correct .My camper is fifteen years old.

Read the letter again, page 2, paragraph 4.
    It starts off refering to the previous para. "The same will apply" meaning being asked to produce cert, "to motor caravans which over 10 years old provided that the date on which the last test was carried out on the vehicle is not more than 12 months from the date on which the demand was made".

So, sorry, you need another test.

thanks niloc1951,
    In the interim for motor caravans that are ten years old that have already past a test prior to the new regulations coming into force ,ie first of march 2012 , we are advising vehicles to retain their current crw for a further 12 months albeit that the expiry date on the actual cert may have passed . This will give the driver, vehicle and computer service division (dvcsd) a chance to carry out necessary updates to their IT system to allow them to issue crws with a two year expiry date. We have also been in contact with on garda siochana and they have advised that at roadside checks from 1st of march 2012 that they will accept crw's issued for motor caravans which are under ten years old as being valid,(even with an elapsed expiry date)provided that the date on which the test was carried out on the vehicle is not more than twenty four months from the date on which the demand is made ."
    same applies for vehicles which are over ten years old.
    i still think last years cert is valid .Please correct me if Im wrong .

thanks niloc1951,
    In the interim for motor caravans that are ten years old that have already past a test prior to the new regulations coming into force ,ie first of march 2012 , we are advising vehicles to retain their current crw for a further 12 months albeit that the expiry date on the actual cert may have passed . This will give the driver, vehicle and computer service division (dvcsd) a chance to carry out necessary updates to their IT system to allow them to issue crws with a two year expiry date. We have also been in contact with on garda siochana and they have advised that at roadside checks from 1st of march 2012 that they will accept crw's issued for motor caravans which are under ten years old as being valid,(even with an elapsed expiry date)provided that the date on which the test was carried out on the vehicle is not more than twenty four months from the date on which the demand is made ."
    same applies for vehicles which are over ten years old.
    i still think last years cert is valid .Please correct me if Im wrong .

We were typing at the same time.

You need to read the next para.

The first piece you have highlighted refers to 'vans 10 years old not OVER 10 years.
    Nothing needs a yearly test until it has passed its 10th birthday.

To quote page 2

"The same will apply to motor caravans which are over 10 years old provided that the date on which the last test was carried out on the vehicle is not more that 12 months from the date on which the demand is made."

If I understand your situation correctly then you are required to get it tested.

• Advertisement

"The demand"
    what does the demand mean is the demand when the garda asks to see your cert?

"The demand"
    what does the demand mean is the demand when the garda asks to see your cert?

That is my understanding of "the demand". As I see it all it does is accommodate some one who has a van of 10+ years who happened to have a DOE done say last Jan (2012). They would not have to get it retested under the new regulations until Jan 2013.

In any event, if you are driving a van over 10 years old and are stopped by the Guards on or after the 1/3/12 then you better have a cert that was issued sometime after 1/3/11 or you are looking at points and a fine.

WildWater wrote: »
    That is my understanding of "the demand". As I see it all it does is accommodate some one who has a van of 10+ years who happened to have a DOE done say last Jan (2012). They would not have to get it retested under the new regulations until Jan 2013.

In any event, if you are driving a van over 10 years old and are stopped by the Guards on or after the 1/3/12 then you better have a cert that was issued sometime after 1/3/11 or you are looking at points and a fine.

Correct.

Mine was tested 18/09/11 so I'm ok until 19/09/12.
    Except I will now have to get a cert from the motor tax office, which I hadn't bothered to do as it wasn't law at the time.

Just out of interest, there are just over 14k campers registered in Ireland but only just over 11k were taxed in the last year.
    As you don't need a test cert until you are bringing the camper out of winter hibernation, which for me will be another month or so, I don't think there will be lines of us at the testing stations.

Just rang Ballina Co Mayo . You guys are correct unfortunately . If your camper is more than ten years old then its yearly and that's from the RSA themselves.

Just rang Ballina Co Mayo . You guys are correct unfortunately . If your camper is more than ten years old then its yearly and that's from the RSA themselves.

I've got a very good contact at the RSA , that's where I get all of the info that I post on here. According to him, there are only around 500 campers that are pre 1980, mainly VW pop tops.

They are very helpful people.

The pre 1980 date is, as someone posted earlier, just to be in line with the NCT.
    Anything pre 1980 would still need at least an engineers report for insurance purposes so you might just as well get them tested, I would have thought.

I think that classic class vehicles, for road tax purposes, is over 30 years old but they would still need a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Just spoke to a DOE test centre and they are not ready to do these tests yet - they said they have to go trough the paperwork to understand the process, or something to that effect.

Have DOE test centres even been given sufficient notice to upskill their people to carry out these tests ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭niloc1951

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Just spoke to a DOE test centre and they are not ready to do these tests yet - they said they have to go trough the paperwork to understand the process, or something to that effect.

Have DOE test centres even been given sufficient notice to upskill their people to carry out these tests ???

In a word, yes.

The test is the same a the LGV test.

See HERE for circular to test centres

deadl0ck wrote: »

Seeing as how quite a few of us are already having regular tests done it's very strange that you should be told that:confused:.

Apart from glazing marks I can see very little difference, as niloc1951 says, from the L.G.V. test and the letters/instructions that were sent out to them look very clear to me.

Perhaps we can hear from Pjwal, as a tester what does he think?.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭vinniem

Hi All, have booked my test for Friday and told will cost me E96 + VAT because its over 3500kg, but notification from RSA says cost is on number of axels E70.86 + vat for 2 axels and E88.58 + vat for 3 axels or more and nothing with GVW, only that it will be tested in HGV lane. Can someone confirm what cost should be please? Also whats the story with beam benders, my camper in LHD but could I purchase benders and ask tester to install or are these guys like the robots in NCT centres :-)

vinniem wrote: »
    Hi All, have booked my test for Friday and told will cost me E96 + VAT because its over 3500kg, but notification from RSA says cost is on number of axels E70.86 + vat for 2 axels and E88.58 + vat for 3 axels or more and nothing with GVW, only that it will be tested in HGV lane. Can someone confirm what cost should be please? Also whats the story with beam benders, my camper in LHD but could I purchase benders and ask tester to install or are these guys like the robots in NCT centres :-)

I can only answer the first part of this.

Front page of letter you have received, states that fee structure is based on the number of axles. 3 means you pay the higher fee. Nothing to do with weight except as to which lane it has to be tested in as you have pointed out. So go back to them and argue if, as I assume, you only have 2 axles.

• Advertisement

Thanks Irishgoatman, as I tought nothing to do with weight and luckily mine is two axels :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Pjwal

there are age regulations for rear seat belts, cant tell you from the top of my head,but there is one very basic rule that always applys regardless of age or direction of faceing, and that is--if they are fitted, they must be checked and operational, but if they are lap belts and sitting underneath the cushions, then a tester who is not familiar with campers may not feel the need to go looking further.

yes your quoted prices are correct, but if the camper is over the 3500kg and is tested on the heavy lane, it must recieve a heavy cert, which costs e13 to change over at the tax office

I can only answer the first part of this.

Front page of letter you have received, states that fee structure is based on the number of axles. 3 means you pay the higher fee. Nothing to do with weight except as to which lane it has to be tested in as you have pointed out. So go back to them and argue if, as I assume, you only have 2 axles.

i would have no prob fitting beam bender, we would prefer to see it done correctly, we are mechanics, as opposed to robots

Thanks Pjwal

Seeing as how quite a few of us are already having regular tests done it's very strange that you should be told that:confused:.

Apart from glazing marks I can see very little difference, as niloc1951 says, from the L.G.V. test and the letters/instructions that were sent out to them look very clear to me.

Perhaps we can hear from Pjwal, as a tester what does he think?.

we have done many camper tests already this week, its all clear enough, all so far have no prob with glazing safety mark, local motorfactors have stocked up on beam benders and we have helped with fitting, we have put off testing the only camper for the heavy lane untill march 1st, so that he could avail of the new price structure rather then pay for a truck test and also the brake test, brakes will be tested against presented weight instead of against the gross vehicle weight,

vinniem wrote: »
    Thanks Pjwal

your welcome

Hi all,
    tested my camper van last January2011, from what I have read in rsa letter yesterday this allows me twelve months till January 2013 .Am i correct .My camper is fifteen years old.

you camper is more then 10 years old, so it was due again jan 2012

we have done many camper tests already this week, its all clear enough, all so far have no prob with glazing safety mark, local motorfactors have stocked up on beam benders and we have helped with fitting, we have put off testing the only camper for the heavy lane untill march 1st, so that he could avail of the new price structure rather then pay for a truck test and also the brake test, brakes will be tested against presented weight instead of against the gross vehicle weight,

None of the above affects me, apart from glazing but mine's ok on that point, but it's always good to see info straight from the horse's, mouth, so to speak.
    Well done.

• Advertisement

yes your quoted prices are correct, but if the camper is over the 3500kg and is tested on the heavy lane, it must recieve a heavy cert, which costs e13 to change over at the tax office

This is clearly very unfair.

Just because YOU have to use a different lane why should the tax office get more money?.

If this affected me I would be strongly objecting and getting on to the RSA and I suggest that this is what people do.

Advertisement