Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Luas F line

• 27-02-2012 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

The proposed Luas F line to Lucan - what's the latest with that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Yeah - OK - so can you dumb it down a bit and explain what that is telling me?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

stoneill wrote: »
    Yeah - OK - so can you dumb it down a bit and explain what that is telling me?

costa_concordia_ship_wreck_a_l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Typewriter wrote: »
    costa_concordia_ship_wreck_a_l.jpg

That's what I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

What's the general consensus on the route though? If money were available, should it be built as shown? http://www.rpa.ie/Maps/Luas%20Line%20F/LuasLineFMapV2%20201008.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭cgcsb

IMO the route is ridiculous, it doesn't serve the centre of lucan village, there's way too many twists and turns through suburban sprawl. Sharing track with red line trams is bound to cause a capacity issue and the odds of getting the luas through lord edward st, slim I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Why would it serve Lucan Village?

The principal population centres of Lucan are all south of the N4 and that's where the route is designed to serve.

I was going to say something very naive there about encouraging urban sprawl, but sure never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Unfortunately that sprawl is already there!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lucan Village is underpopulated and the hill might challenge the trams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭Heroditas

MYOB wrote: »
    Lucan Village is underpopulated and the hill might challenge the trams.

Didn't the trams go up the hill in "ye olde days"?

Apart from that, I shall put on my "IMBY" hat and say that the route looks fantastic if I'm still living in the area in 40 years time and they actually get around to building it. Two of the stops will be a stone's throw away from me. :D

total journey time of 50minutes :-(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Heroditas wrote: »
    Didn't the trams go up the hill in "ye olde days"?

They did, but seeing as its known for eventually causing damage to buses (it and Dalkey being routes that cause the "roaring engines" on ALX400s) I'd be rather worried that it'd eventually stress the Citadis units badly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Luas to lucan would be a disaster. Look what it did for people on the red line out near kingswood and kilnamangh.

Bus service has dropped and luas takes longer to get into town.

Same for the Lucan one, it would take too long to get to town. We have decent bus service and lets not destroy that.

Lucan is a great spot in fairness with facilities out there, there is always something to do, loads of gaa and soccer pitches, big parks, running tracks, cycle lanes, tennis courts, skating centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Luas to lucan would be a disaster. Look what it did for people on the red line out near kingswood and kilnamangh.

Bus service has dropped and luas takes longer to get into town.

Same for the Lucan one, it would take too long to get to town. We have decent bus service and lets not destroy that.

Lucan is a great spot in fairness with facilities out there, there is always something to do, loads of gaa and soccer pitches, big parks, running tracks, cycle lanes, tennis courts, skating centres.

Maybe the Luas takes longer off peak, but if you've tried to use a bus service from Tallaght to town in the morning, it will easily be more than an hour, while the Luas is 40 minutes, and more importantly, is reliable. You'll never be waiting 40 minutes for a Luas, unlike any Tallaght bus.

The Luas was the best thing ever to happen to public transport in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Maybe the Luas takes longer off peak, but if you've tried to use a bus service from Tallaght to town in the morning, it will easily be more than an hour, while the Luas is 40 minutes, and more importantly, is reliable. You'll never be waiting 40 minutes for a Luas, unlike any Tallaght bus.

The Luas was the best thing ever to happen to public transport in Tallaght.

I get the bus every monday and tuesday from kilnamanagh and it takes less time that the luas at 7.30 am.

Going home it is also quicker!!

Luas to Kingswood is close to 50 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Would splitting the red line or building line F really relieve anything though? Isn't the plan for line F to merge with red line at some point? That would just mean that capacity on both lines will be restricted by the maximum capacity at the point where the two lines converge.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There's no current plan. It will be redesigned from scratch.

Merging with the Red line isn't an option anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,157 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Send the red line down Thomas Street to College Green is one option with every second red line tram interchanging at Heuston with Line F.

Advertisement