Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching abroad without TEFL

• 24-02-2012 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi,

I have worked as an English tutor in summer camps abroad and have some drama teaching experience and a degree in English. I do not have a TEFL. Are there any organisations that hire teachers without TEFL?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 eim19

Hi, sorry this doesn't really answer your question, I'm looking for a summer job abroad and I'm wondering what your previous job was? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 SSS2012

check out www.acle.org

• Registered Users Posts: 35 stephen.shortt

Hi SSS2012...

You won't be eligible to teach in any of the recognised schools in Ireland without a relevant TEFL/CELT qualification I'm afraid.

You can get a list of the criteria plus a list of providers on http://www.acels.ie.

We run TEFL/CELT courses regularly in Dublin.

Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 SSS2012

Hi SSS2012...

You won't be eligible to teach in any of the recognised schools in Ireland without a relevant TEFL/CELT qualification I'm afraid.

You can get a list of the criteria plus a list of providers on http://www.acels.ie.

We run TEFL/CELT courses regularly in Dublin.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen, but I am looking to teach outside Ireland. I have already worked for an organisation as a English tutor, and did not require a TEFL. I have heard of organisations where you only need a degree in English and not a TEFL. I am just wondering what are the names of such organizations?

I just do not see the point in paying for a TEFL when I have a three year degree in English and already have experience using TEFL techniques.

Also, in this economy, TEFL is just too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 stephen.shortt

I wouldn't know off the top of my head any organisations that don't prefer (if not require) a TEFL/CELT qualification to teach.

I have heard of some people going teaching in high schools in Japan and Korea without TEFL but wouldn't have the same prospects as someone who has done the course.

From speaking with a number of friends and former students of ours, I know going for interviews with the qualification is much easier than going without...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

In China you don't need a TEFL cert.

(I live in China, know lots of English teachers).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Berlitz in Germany only require that you are a native speaker and have a degree in something. I don't think it matters what the degree is. If they find that you are a suitable candidate then they will train you up in their methods of teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭See Ye

SSS2012 wrote: »
    Thanks Stephen, but I am looking to teach outside Ireland. I have already worked for an organisation as a English tutor, and did not require a TEFL. I have heard of organisations where you only need a degree in English and not a TEFL. I am just wondering what are the names of such organizations?

I just do not see the point in paying for a TEFL when I have a three year degree in English and already have experience using TEFL techniques.
    Basically the parts of the world with the highest demand are going to be those with looser requirements in terms of teachers. In Europe, as others have said Berlitz train you in their methods, Wall Street do likewise. The clue when looking for work is places advertising for "EMT" teachers (English Mother Tongue) rather than qualified teachers. The JET scheme in Japan.
    You could argue that "this economy" is the reason you do need a qualification - companies and individuals have less cash to spare and certainly want to see a solid return on investment, a lot presume they won't get that from someone without qualifications (and in a lot of cases they're right).

Basically the parts of the world with the highest demand are going to be those with looser requirements in terms of teachers. In Europe, as others have said Berlitz train you in their methods, Wall Street do likewise. The clue when looking for work is places advertising for "EMT" teachers (English Mother Tongue) rather than qualified teachers. The JET scheme in Japan

You could argue that "this economy" is the reason you do need a qualification - companies and individuals have less cash to spare and certainly want to see a solid return on investment, a lot presume they won't get that from someone without qualifications (and in a lot of cases they're right).

Basically the parts of the world with the highest demand are going to be those with looser requirements in terms of teachers. In Europe, as others have said Berlitz train you in their methods, Wall Street do likewise. The clue when looking for work is places advertising for "EMT" teachers (English Mother Tongue) rather than qualified teachers. The JET scheme in Japan

• Advertisement
Advertisement