Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do you need to teach ECDL?

Options
  • 12-02-2012 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone could help me,

I've a Degree in animation and a cert in Train the Trainer (provided by fas).

I was wondering does anyone know what qualifications you need to teach ECDL?

I have a feeling 'another two fas courses that cost 1000 each' might be the answer there.

It totally infuriates me. I'll teach privately if I have to but I'd like to get the ECDL cert at least so that my students at least would feel assured that their money wasn't wasted.

My degree also included modules in Photoshop and I'd be interested to teach that too.

Oh, also I live in Kerry, so immediately imagine me surrounded by farmers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Contact your local VEC. They will know what requirements they have for teachers of adult classes doing the ECDL. They maight also have openings for teaching Photoshop in night classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭doc_17

Apply to he IRish Computer Society. They administer the ECDL in Ireland. They ask you for your past experience and qualifications and they make a decision as to whether you are qualified to teach it or not. I'd say though given your qualifications you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You need
    1) ECDL
    2) CTP (Certified Training Professional) or equivalent. JEB is an alternative though the CTP is preferred.

CTP costs about €2.5K and you can't get it from fás. That's doing it from scratch. Since you have a train the trainer course, you could just do the certification course which is shorter than the development course. This was €1.2/1.3K last time I checked.
    http://www.ics-skills.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55&Itemid=62

You can claim some of this back on tax too (20%).

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

If you wish to teach in a full-time position in a PLC college or be registered to teach in a secondary school you will need to be registered with the Tecahing Council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Carmie.

doc_17 wrote: »
    Apply to he IRish Computer Society. They administer the ECDL in Ireland. They ask you for your past experience and qualifications and they make a decision as to whether you are qualified to teach it or not. I'd say though given your qualifications you should be fine
    You need a CTP qualification, it's a though course but enjoyable. Getting the qualification is the easy part, getting work teaching is quiet difficult....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭doc_17

I was answering that from the point of view that the OP was a teacher ( should have read it more carefully) and I know that the ICS accept that as a CTP as long as you have suitabke IT qualifications as well

Advertisement