Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

If you're computer works fine on your current OS why do you feel the need to update ?
    I'm running along happily on Snow Leopard.

Well for the new features the OS upgrade brings. Why else. Like for one I'm extremely happy to see the AirPlay Mirroring being added and it will solve a lot of awkwardness for me with watching films on my mac. I've been using my MacBook Pro as a DVD player connecting it up via HDMI but now I can just leave it on my desk where it is and watch the films using AirPlay.

Suppose Sad Professers right i'st still costing less to upgrade yearly for €24 instead of every 2-3 years for €129.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'd be ok with more frequent updates if they focused more on stability and less on cramming in as many new features as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Will AirPlay be restricted to certain apps or can we just mirror the entire screen at the click of a button?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

But yeah, this new update cycle has definitely been in the pipeline since Lion at least. Personally I'm delighted! €24 a year sure beats €129+ every two years, which is what most people paid for Jaguar, Panther, Tiger and Leopard.

Exactly. I'd rather get new features yearly for what is a relatively small price. Let's remember that new features cost Apple money. Software development is expensive. They won't do it without a fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

AdMMM wrote: »
    Will AirPlay be restricted to certain apps or can we just mirror the entire screen at the click of a button?

The demos I seen show the desktop being mirrored so doesnt look like there will be any restrictions. Software wise it is quite simple to implement. The thing apple have that Microsoft don't is the apple tv which enables this. I wouldn't be surprised if MS implement this to mirror to an Xbox.

Edit - then again I doubt windows software guys talk to Xbox guys ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The demos I seen show the desktop being mirrored so doesnt look like there will be any restrictions. Software wise it is quite simple to implement. The thing apple have that Microsoft don't is the apple tv which enables this. I wouldn't be surprised if MS implement this to mirror to an Xbox.

Edit - then again I doubt windows software guys talk to Xbox guys ha.
    That's a relief! I was pretty disappointed that it wasn't included in Lion anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Any word on whether there will be an option to upgrade from Snow Leopard to this or will you need to have Lion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Nothing yet. Wouldn't expect any until after the release announcement as the dev previews typically wouldn't be set up to allow this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Black Oil wrote: »
    Any word on whether there will be an option to upgrade from Snow Leopard to this or will you need to have Lion?

To upgrade to Lion I think you need to have Snow Leopard installed (10.6.6 or later). So i'd imagine it's probably the same here that you'll need the latest version of Lion.

Then again as it switched to a yearly upgrade process maybe they'll change it around as a lot of people still haven't upgraded to Lion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Just as I was thinking about upgrading to Lion now this, too many changes, should I hold off now until Mountain Lion?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There is, of course, one potentially major downside to the yearly upgrade cycle: How stable are dot zero releases? Not very. There’s usually bugs galore, plus the fact that Apple have changed and added things, meaning that third-party developers have to make substantial updates to their applications in order for them to work properly with the new OS, a process that can take months depending on how lazy the developer is. This has been an issue with every major OS X upgrade. But usually by around the third or fourth update Apple have sorted out these bugs and developers have caught up. As a result, by the time the late dot releases arrive a year or so later everyone has forgotten about all the disruptions they experienced with the dot zero release and are now basking in the warm glow of an ultra-stable OS.

However, all of this is about go out the window as we now face not one major upgrade every two or three years, but one every 12 months. Apple probably isn’t even going to get to the ninth or tenth update of bug fixes in most cases before the next major dot release arrives. I mean, ML is due in about five or six months and there are many people who are still afraid to upgrade to Lion either because they don’t think it’s stable enough or because they are still waiting on developers to update their apps. Now the whole apple cart is going to get upset again with 10.8 and then 10.9 only 12 months later.

So the shift to a year upgrade cycle is a potentially very risky move for Apple and they are going to have to learn to tread more carefully with each dot zero release in order to ensure they don’t end up pissing off users and developers. The yearly thing works with iOS, but OS X is a much more complicated system and even the smallest change can cause a lot of problems. But perhaps the implementation of sandboxing on the Mac App Store will make this process smoother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Agreed SP.

Personally I don't want to have to deal with these decisions every year. (disclaimer: should say i'm deliberately still on Snow Leopard and happy with it)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It should be added, however, that this is a problem that plagues Windows as well. I mean, how how often does MS release a new version of Windows? Every 3-4 years? And the take-up is very slow for precisely the same reason some people haven’t upgraded to Lion yet. People want to wait until all the bugs are sorted out and their programs will work. In fact, it’s not unusual to come across people still running XP all these years later. So the yearly upgrade cycle might just as easily turn out be a good thing as will mean more incremental improvements that won’t cause as much disruption as Lion or Leopard did. In fact, I think that’s exactly Apple’s thinking here, but whether it will work out that way we’ll have to wait and see. The biggest problem is with lazy developers who won’t update their apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

It should be added, however, that this is a problem that plagues Windows as well. I mean, how how often does MS release a new version of Windows? Every 3-4 years? And the take-up is very slow for precisely the same reason some people haven’t upgraded to Lion yet. People want to wait until all the bugs are sorted out and their programs will work. In fact, it’s not unusual to come across people still running XP all these years later. So the yearly upgrade cycle might just as easily turn out be a good thing as will mean more incremental improvements that won’t cause as much disruption as Lion or Leopard did. In fact, I think that’s exactly Apple’s thinking here, but whether it will work out that way we’ll have to wait and see. The biggest problem is with lazy developers who won’t update their apps.

I still run Windows NT on my bootcamp partition!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

Have just downloaded the Messages for Mac beta and sweet so far. I sent myself some messages, pics, etc...to and from my Macbook, and iPad and it worked seamlessly across the devices.
    And would like to test if the AirPlay Mirroring works well, hope I need to do less converting with enolsoft, just "stream what’s on your Mac to your HDTV via Apple TV" on the go!

Advertisement