Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Internal, non-boot disk spin down

Options
  • 15-02-2012 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

I have two HD's in my MBP 10.7.3: an SSD and a HDD. The OS is on the SSD and iTunes and Aperture libraries and stuff are on the HDD. When not in use, I usually eject the HDD from terminal, cos i'm kind of a neat freak like that.

Since installing iStatMenu, Even when I 'diskutil eject HDD' in terminal and it spins down, it spins back up for about 10 seconds every 2 minutes, which is annoying! It doesn't mount or anything, just spins up, then spins back down again.

Does anyone know of any software that stops this or can give me any advice? (preferably not kernel extensions, as I said, i'm kind of a neat freak!)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Don't use iStatMenu? It's probably trying to enumerate your disks hence the spin up.

With respect, you're being a bit too crazy about this sort of thing. Just leave the drive spinning unless you REALLY need to conserve battery! It's just not that important...

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

meh, there should be no reason why I can't use both... Yeah I suppose I'm probably being a bit crazy but thats not going to change anytime soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

How can you say there should be no reason? It's a pretty fair assumption to make about iStatMenus. Your sort of usage is something I would consider an edge case that might not have been addressed by the developer. How about contacting them and ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

Just sorted it! It was set to monitor S.M.A.R.T drive temps every 5 minutes, hence the spin up. Disabled, problem resolved

Advertisement