Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Films about mental illness

• 15-02-2012 12:13am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

I've a morbid fascination with debilitating illnesses and how they're portrayed on film. I've seen the obvious ones like 'A Beautiful Mind', but maybe some people could offer forth some suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly perhaps, but its not about mental illness, but paralysis. It was received with glowing reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Anything with Daniel day Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Shine ('96)- with Geoffrey Rush as pianist David Helfgott ( in & out of psychiatric institutions for more than a decade)- oscar winning performance, a sad .well told story.

Helfgott played at the Oscar ceremony the year Rush won- and it certainly looked as though Rush had played the part incredibly well-they could've passed for twins.

Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Denerick wrote: »
    I've a morbid fascination with debilitating illnesses and how they're portrayed on film. I've seen the obvious ones like 'A Beautiful Mind', but maybe some people could offer forth some suggestions?

Might be a bit hardcore for you but "The Enigma Of Casper Hauser" by Hertzog, probably one of the most astonishing films I ever seen, the main actor was actually mentally ill. PS Not a mainstream Hollywood film!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

• Advertisement

And another one- "The Hours" (2002) - you could argue that most of the main characters were slightly touched- great film.

....could be posting all night, just google oscar nominated films over last 3 decades,you'll probably come up with a dozen.

Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Birdy (1984)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Rainman,didn't Dustin Hoffmans character have authism or something similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

<Ollie> wrote: »

Recently read the novel and watched the film last night for the (sixth) time. My favourite film ever, hands down.

Primal Fear- Ed Norton and Richard Gere. One of Norton's earlier films.

Book by William Diehl worth reading beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Lisbeth Salander, the main character in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and the rest of that series, is said to be somewhere on the autistic spectrum - most likely Asperger's. Never been confirmed in the books or the movies, but seems right. I would definitely recommend the Swedish language versions of the films rather than the English language version (though only first one released in English so far).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

• Registered Users Posts: 12,292 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

and remember - you never go full retard

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Skerries wrote: »
    and remember - you never go full retard

Sean Penn did in I am Sam and he went home empty handed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

"On the Edge" is a reasonable attempt at capturing what it means to be mentally ill in Ireland. And has a strong Irish cast (Cillian Murphy & Stephen Rea play the main characters). It is probably not the extremes of Beautiful Mind.... But then it shows that normal people can suffer mental illness (When will Ireland or the world realise this?)

I read somewhere that Sebastian Barry's "The Secret Scripture" was going to made into a film. While arguably not actually dealing with mental illness, that has the potential to be a mind blowing movie reveal a lot about pscyhiatric institutions in Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

number10a wrote: »
    Lisbeth Salander, the main character in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and the rest of that series, is said to be somewhere on the autistic spectrum - most likely Asperger's. Never been confirmed in the books or the movies, but seems right. I would definitely recommend the Swedish language versions of the films rather than the English language version (though only first one released in English so far).
    No. Lisabeth is not autistic. She is the victim of childhood abuse and mistreatment by the state, not a neurological disorder. There's a reason why she behaves toward certain people the way she does. Having said that, if she was a real person she would probably be misdiagnosed as autistic.
    Rabidlamb wrote: »
    I'd disagree about this as well. The film is about anxiety, not mental illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Surly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,581 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Not sure if it comes under the mental illness umbrella exactly, but would recommend 'The Machinist' with Christian Bale....very underrated movie imho.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Black Swan.
    That was some messed up girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Rabidlamb wrote: »

Is this out on DVD yet? would really like to see it.
    Shannon is great at playing nutballs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,763 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

msthe80s wrote: »
    Primal Fear- Ed Norton and Richard Gere. One of Norton's earlier films.

Book by William Diehl worth reading beforehand.

:confused:
    It was all an act by Norton's character there was no split personality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    :confused:
    It was all an act by Norton's character there was no split personality

Still a study on the
    split personality even if it was an act
    . Great film and the perfect character for Norton -
    smug little fecker
    and I mean that in the nicest possible way

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

"Some Voices" a movie from 2000 with Daniel Craig and Kelly McDonald features a lead character (Craig) with schizophrenia. I caught it on TV late one night and thought it dealt with the subject matter fairly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

No. Lisabeth is not autistic. She is the victim of childhood abuse and mistreatment by the state, not a neurological disorder. There's a reason why she behaves toward certain people the way she does. Having said that, if she was a real person she would probably be misdiagnosed as autistic.

Thanks for that one. Seems so blindingly obvious now that you've said it. It's like 2+2 really. *blushes at own simple-mindedness*

Still, amazing movies and book though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,763 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What’s Eating Gibert Grape - excellent performance from Leonardo DiCaprio as a mentally retarded person

Away From Her and The Notebook deal with Dementia

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

Quick mention for "What's Eating Gilbert Grape". I don't think DiCaprio, and to a lesser extent Depp, have been better in any role since.

When it first came out I had never heard of Leonardo DiCaprio (18 odd years ago). I can remember thinking that they had gotten a great performance from a young lad with mental problems, only to be shocked when he later turns up in Romeo+Juliet.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What’s Eating Gibert Grape - excellent performance from Leonardo DiCaprio as a mentally retarded person

Away From Her and The Notebook deal with Dementia

Damn it, 2nd by seconds :p

Fight club about a guy with possibly schizophrenia or some other split personality dissorder

As good as it gets, Jack Nicholson plays a man with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Fight club about a guy with possibly schizophrenia or some other split personality dissorder

Same goes for Secret Window (Stephen King adaptation with J.Depp)

• Advertisement

D-FENS wrote: »
    Same goes for Secret Window (Stephen King adaptation with J.Depp)

Couldn't think of the name of that one. Really enjoyed that movie.

What about the Shining, Misery, and to a lesser extent, Carrie?

Advertisement