Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving To/Living In London Megathread - ALL QUESTIONS TO GO HERE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Hi just want to let people know that I have secured work contracting in a bank down the city and the security clearance requires me to have an actual utility bill in my name. I'm staying with my Girlfriends brother temporarily and I have bank accounts (Irish and UK), National Insurance No and a CRB all registered to my temporary address but they wouldn't accept this.

I found this FAQ good and thought that this may be an important point to add to it as the security clearance doesn't doesn't seem to allow for people in my situation or that have recently moved. Must get down to the phone shop now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

What do people think of Twickenham?

Thinking of moving there to get closer to the city from where I live out by the M25..

Quicker trains and Richmond has the tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Country lane

afatbollix wrote: »
    What do people think of Twickenham?

Thinking of moving there to get closer to the city from where I live out by the M25..

Quicker trains and Richmond has the tube.

Twickenham is not a bad area, but i've heard the train can be a pain in the butt. Richmond, Hampton Court or Kingston are better bets around that side i think. If you working in the city...train from that direction into waterloo..then waterloo and city line is your best bet. You could look along the southwest train line and pick towns out. Of course Surrey doesn't come cheap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Only 2 trains a hour from Hampton court. :( Nice area tho.

I work in Feltham so no need for Rush hour trains :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 River Boy1986

Hi there

I am moving to London this week, have a job secured but still searching for accommodation. My work is based in Bethnal Green in East London and from searching around Im not sure is it a good area. Can anyone recommend a nice area near by to live which is not to expensive? Going over alone so any help would be appreciated!

As regards getting a NI number what is the starting process. Is it like here, go into a social welfare office or is it different?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

You can call Job Centre Plus and they'll tell you the process, generally you apply and have to sit an interview.

I don't know East London well but I'd imagine Hoxton/Dalston/Shoreditch would be fun to live in

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Hi River Boy,

I would personally agree with your suspicion that Bethnal Green is not a "good area". Of course this is dependent on what you are used to.

The problem with surrounding areas are that they have small pockets of 'yuppie type' residents but in the main it's still rough.

Bethnal Green has good transport links with both a Tube and a Rail Station, therefore if your prepared to spend 10-15 mins commuting then you can widen your search for accommodation.

Try looking on http://www.rightmove.co.uk for accommodation and check the Transport for London website http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1106.aspx for Tube and Rail maps.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

My work is based in Bethnal Green in East London and from searching around Im not sure is it a good area.
    I wouldn't really agree with the previous poster who said Bethnal Green is a rough area, but then, as they said, it really depends on what you're used to. I would sort of agree with the yuppie comment though - Hackney in general has developed a reputation in recent years for being an "up-and-coming" area and this tends to attract a certain type of person seeking organic markets and the like.
    Can anyone recommend a nice area near by to live which is not to expensive?
    What's your budget like and what's the maximum commute you would tolerate?
    As regards getting a NI number what is the starting process. Is it like here, go into a social welfare office or is it different?
    Nah, it's pretty straightforward. Don't worry about it right now -get yourself sorted with somewhere to live first.
    duffarama wrote: »
    I don't know East London well but I'd imagine Hoxton/Dalston/Shoreditch would be fun to live in
    Depends how old you are - personally, I hate that whole area. It's like a giant, concrete Temple Bar.

There seems to be a lot of worrying about national insurance numbers around here in general, so here's all you need to know:
    When starting work or setting up as self-employed

If you're looking for work, starting work or setting up as self-employed you will need a National Insurance number. If you have the right to work in the UK, you will need to telephone Jobcentre Plus on 0845 600 0643 to arrange to get one. Lines are open 8.00 am to 6.00 pm Monday to Friday and are normally less busy before 9.00 am. They may require you to attend an 'Evidence of identity' interview - see the section 'What happens when you apply for a National Insurance number'.

Although you need to have a National Insurance number to start work you don't need to have a plastic National Insurance number card.

What happens when you apply for a National Insurance number

Jobcentre Plus will arrange an 'Evidence of identity' interview for you or send you a postal application. If relevant, they will confirm the date, time and location of your interview and what information/documentation you need to support your application.

What to expect at the 'Evidence of identity' interview

The interview will usually be one-to-one (unless, for example, you need an interpreter). You will be asked questions about why you need a National Insurance number, your background and circumstances.

You will also have to prove your identity. Bring as many 'identity documents' (originals, not photocopies) as you can to your interview. Examples of documents which count are:
    • valid passport (UK or foreign)
    • national identity card (UK or foreign)
    • residence permit or residence card including biometric immigration residency documents
    • full birth or adoption certificate
    • full marriage or civil partnership certificate
    • driving licence (UK or foreign)
    If you don't have any of these - or other - identity documents you still must go to the interview. The information you are able to provide might be enough to prove your identity.

During the interview a National Insurance number application form will be completed and you will be asked to sign it.

What happens next?

If you were asked to provide additional information you will need to do this by the agreed date. Jobcentre Plus will write and let you know whether your application was successful and, where appropriate, tell you what your National Insurance number is.

If relevant, tell your employer your National Insurance number as soon as you know it. Do not share your National Insurance number with anyone who does not need it as knowledge of your number might help someone to steal your identity.

It is important to keep the letter telling you what your National Insurance number is safe as it is a useful reminder of your number. However, the letter on its own cannot be used to prove your identity and you do not need it to start work. It's the National Insurance number itself that's important.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/BeginnersGuideToTax/NationalInsurance/IntroductiontoNationalInsurance/DG_190057

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

djpbarry wrote: »
    I wouldn't really agree with the previous poster who said Bethnal Green is a rough area, but then, as they said, it really depends on what you're used to.

A 'High Crime Area' may be a better description, as it is well above average according to the UK Police statistics for reported crime activity. 2,251 crimes for the month of November in the Bethnal Green postcode. http://www.police.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

RichMc70 wrote: »
    A 'High Crime Area' may be a better description, as it is well above average according to the UK Police statistics for reported crime activity. 2,251 crimes for the month of November in the Bethnal Green postcode. http://www.police.uk/

You need to take those figures in context, though - without a breakdown of the kind of crimes concerned it's difficult to get an accurate picture. Take Camden - 2051 crimes in the same period, but that doesn't stop a lot of people viewing it as a good place to live (especially if you pick the right parts, where it can get very posh indeed). However, if you use UpMyStreet.com and use the "My Neighbourhood" tools you can see how certain areas compare to the national averages and filter possible areas that way.

I'll be honest, though - I kind of expect any part of London to be a high-crime area to a certain extent - we're talking about a highly urbanised metropolis with a lot of wealthy high-earners living there. There's going to be crime all over the gaff, to a greater or lesser extent.

Thanks

Was through this recently, I just rang the jobcentre, told them I would take the interview anywhere just to get it done quickly. Interview was 9 days later and I got my number in the post 2 weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Hackney in general has developed a reputation in recent years for being an "up-and-coming" area and this tends to attract a certain type of person seeking organic markets and the like.

this is the funniest, and truest thing i've read in ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Stemtrex

Hey all!

This thread is great, i was totally lost when researching but my heads a bit more settled now.
    Well I'm really considering making the move to London towards the end of March/April.

I'm worried about work though. I have a city and guilds diploma in Sound Engineering but you generally have to know people to break into the sound engineering industry. That's why I'm heading to London in the first place i do a bit of DJ'ing and Production and London seem's to be the place to go for all that.

I'm not expecting to go over there and land a job in a studio or as a resident DJ or anything so I'm wondering if bar work/Nightclub work/Waitress work would be enough to pay the bill's for a fair amount of time over there. I'm willing to work at anything!
    Also when it comes to experience, I haven't got much. Iv'e worked in factories and did a good bit of work experience in some Hairdressers and that. Are places more willing to take on Noobies in London than they are in Ireland?

Thanks!

Stemtrex wrote: »
    I have a city and guilds diploma in Sound Engineering but you generally have to know people to break into the sound engineering industry. That's why I'm heading to London in the first place i do a bit of DJ'ing and Production and London seem's to be the place to go for all that.
    To be honest, based on my experience, that's something that's easier to "break into" in Dublin than London. Or, if you want to hit another UK city with a good music scene, Glasgow, Manchester and Bristol are all decent spots.

But, if you can narrow this down a bit I might be able to help you - I know people who know people, etc. What is it exactly you want to do (be as specific as you can)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Stemtrex

But, if you can narrow this down a bit I might be able to help you - I know people who know people, etc. What is it exactly you want to do (be as specific as you can)?

I have tried a good few places around Dublin and in Louth, iv'e got in contact with a handful of studios and have offered to work for free just for experience, no one want's to take me on though. I could just be trying the wrong places. What I would like to do exactly is get any studio experience. I'm pushed more towards electronic music but I'm not fussy right now. Thanks for the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

Hello all,

Looking for any advice people might have...

I work freelance, and MIGHT have an opportunity for temporary work in London. It might be for 3 months, it might be 6 - nothing set in stone right now.
    It would mean moving over there temporarily and I thought I might as well start looking in to renting if it does happen. It's not a permanent move, which makes things tricky enough.
    I will potentially be working in the Marylebone area, and I would like to rent on my own if I can afford it.
    Has anyone any advice on where about I should be looking to rent, and what the average price of a studio/ bedsit might cost?
    I've been looking a bit today, but am feeling a touch overwhelmed! I'm used to living in Dublin, and having daft.ie at my disposal. That, and the rents in London seem INSANE for what you get!

Thanks in advance for any help.
    F

Fiii wrote: »
    ...the rents in London seem INSANE...
    They are. There’s no getting away from it – London is an expensive place to live.

If you tell us what sort of commute you’re prepared to tolerate and how much you’re prepared to spend on rent, you might get a few suggestions of areas to search within? Anything in particular you’d like to have nearby?

They are. There’s no getting away from it – London is an expensive place to live.

If you tell us what sort of commute you’re prepared to tolerate and how much you’re prepared to spend on rent, you might get a few suggestions of areas to search within? Anything in particular you’d like to have nearby?

And I thought rents in Dublin were bad! :o
    I think I could manage a 40min commute - maybe more if I had to. No more than an hour though.
    I'm thinking a rough budget of £600-700. Not sure if even that's enough though.
    As far as nearby, I don't really mind. Truth be told, I will probably be working an insane amount of hours, and won't have a lot of time for anything else.
    As long as I have a tube stop nearby, that's the main thing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

As long as I have a tube stop nearby, that's the main thing really.

Don't get hung up on the Tube, there's a load of suburban/commuter rail lines as well, and they're usually less of a crush than the Tube in the mornings.

See www.nationalrail.co.uk for journey times/frequency/ticket costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 River Boy1986

You should check out spareroom.co.uk or gmmtree. I no you say your looking for a single room flat but you will find plenty of options here and some reasonable prices also.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

If you want to be near Marylebone, start looking out Northwest on the Bakerloo line or the Euston-Watford Overground line (it's Orange on maps). You can be in Marylebone or Euston (they're about a 15 minute walk apart) in 20 minutes on the train and it's also well served by buses (eg, No. 18 is every three minutes during the day)

Some of the locations wouldn't be deemed fashionable but that means rents are reasonable. Try Kilburn, Queen's Park, Kensal green, Kensal Rise, Willesden Junction/Harlesden (some people might think I'm mad to recommend the latter but it's where I live and I love it!). Try out the Jubilee line too.

If you want to be near Marylebone, start looking out Northwest on the Bakerloo line or the Euston-Watford Overground line (it's Orange on maps). You can be in Marylebone or Euston (they're about a 15 minute walk apart) in 20 minutes on the train and it's also well served by buses (eg, No. 18 is every three minutes during the day)

Some of the locations wouldn't be deemed fashionable but that means rents are reasonable. Try Kilburn, Queen's Park, Kensal green, Kensal Rise, Willesden Junction/Harlesden (some people might think I'm mad to recommend the latter but it's where I live and I love it!). Try out the Jubilee line too.

Thanks for that. I'm not at all worried about fashionable areas, so those suggestions are really helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Thanks for that. I'm not at all worried about fashionable areas, so those suggestions are really helpful :)

Anything on the Jubilee line would suit you as Marlebone is all in walking distance of Baker street

Look at Stratford, except for the madness in August it should be ok

You should check out spareroom.co.uk or gmmtree. I no you say your looking for a single room flat but you will find plenty of options here and some reasonable prices also.

Thanks. That is very much a 'Plan B' for me though. :)

Thanks. That is very much a 'Plan B' for me though. :)
    I had these units in mind but found somewhere else in the meantime, they are in Willesden Green. They do 3 month rentals and are in zone 2 on the jubilee line. Didn't actually go out to see them so unless anyone else can vouch for the area I don't know much about it. 105 a week for a single room which included cleaner, bed linen, internet etc

http://www.refreshaccommodation.com/london-apartments/north-west/willesden-green/willesden-green-long-term-apartments.aspx?sec=o

I had these units in mind but found somewhere else in the meantime, they are in Willesden Green. They do 3 month rentals and are in zone 2 on the jubilee line. Didn't actually go out to see them so unless anyone else can vouch for the area I don't know much about it. 105 a week for a single room which included cleaner, bed linen, internet etc

http://www.refreshaccommodation.com/london-apartments/north-west/willesden-green/willesden-green-long-term-apartments.aspx?sec=o

That's just the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks a million! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Country lane

For those planning on heading over, an interesting article on the new Irish areas of London namely Clapham

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Deadalus

Hi Folks,

I was gonna hijack another thread there but decided to start my own. So basically my better half and myself are moving to London at the end of March and don't have much cash to take with us. We would have about £650 pound max a month to spend on rent and was wondering where we should be focusing our search.

Also if anyone is looking for housemates we are clean, considerate people and would love to be considered.

I would also appreciate any advice you guys could provide regarding places to work and any decent recruitment consultants you might have come accross.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 reusable

Hi,

I moved over 6 weeks ago and found the advice on here pretty good. I used spare room.co.uk to find a room in Oval. Also right move.co.uk is good but they go quick. There is an option on their site/app that allows you to email all the agents in your price range and they will call/email you back. This is good as they don't put everything on the sites.

I've not found a good recruitment agency yet. Reed.co.uk seem to be one of the biggest, suppose it depends on what sector your looking in. I've also used monster.co.uk, totaljobs.co.uk and fish4jobs.couk.

There is also good advice in the moving to London thread.

Cheers,

Advertisement