Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good movie reviewers,blogs,websites???

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

Just to add to the pile, here are a few sites I visit regularly:

The Playlist Super good for all the latest news, rumours etc.

Mubi.com Notebook All the news and reviews from the artier side of cinema

F-yeah Movie Posters Official and fan-made movie poster tumblr (you'll have to fill in the blanks yourself for the link to work)

The Film Experience
    Currently in Oscars overdrive but great the whole year round, regularly updated, especially good on actresses and awards

Outlaw Vern Where else would you find The Tree of Life and the latest WWE dtv effort reviewed with equal consideration? Frequently insightful and hilarious, some great discussions in the comments

The Sheila Variations Wide-ranging blog with some wonderful writing on acting- like this appreciation of Jeff Bridges

Observations on Film Art
    Fantastic, scholarly essays on film- I love this recent piece on Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy- if you're into Hong Kong cinema there's some great stuff here too

Scanners Critic Jim Emerson's blog, great on the nitty-gritty, see this article on the editing of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Are there any good Irish film sites? Most of the ones I visit are foreign so it'd be nice to get some homegrown perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ColumnLunch

Cheers SVG! Some great links there to keep me going.

I used to use Movies.ie for free screenings and competitions but haven't had a look in awhile so I can't vouch for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭AoifeCN

thanks everyone. Does anyone have any video review shows or any good YouTube channels that do film orientated videos? cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

post #3. mark kermode

his radio show is streamed live online and you can watch it later too. obviously since it's a radio show they dont show clips

and the blog has loads of video bits of him discussing movies

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,093 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Threads merged as they're more or less the same thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 CreativeChris

http://moviebuzzers.com/ is a great little site that's building in popularity. The reviews are honest and written in a simple yet effective style, none of that snobby film school talk! Also looks at a really wide range of movies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

http://moviebuzzers.com/ is a great little site that's building in popularity. The reviews are honest and written in a simple yet effective style, none of that snobby film school talk! Also looks at a really wide range of movies

You wouldn't happen to be a contributor or anything, eh? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

I use iMDB for a quick check on film information.

I use www.comingsoon.net to keep in touch with what is up and coming.

I use boards.ie for initial reaction on a film, the word on the street or a bit of banter. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

I forgot to mention one that two friends from college have just set up - http://spooool.com/

I think it's a very good site anyway - sure decide for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ben Moore

Am I allowed pimp my own blog here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,093 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ben Moore wrote: »
    Am I allowed pimp my own blog here?

Just take it for granted that you're not allowed pimp it anywhere, especially if you have to bump a year old thread to do so. If in the unlikely event an actually active thread seems to invite a pimp, then maybe.

A link in your signature will more than suffice if anyone is interested enough in your contributions to the discussion to seek out your own site.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ben Moore

Just take it for granted that you're not allowed pimp it anywhere, especially if you have to bump a year old thread to do so. If in the unlikely event an actually active thread seems to invite a pimp, then maybe.

A link in your signature will more than suffice if anyone is interested enough in your contributions to the discussion to seek out your own site.

Loud and Clear, appreciate the direction.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I very much prefer short videos for reviews as really I use them to see whether it piques my curiosity enough to see the film (and to hear it's not a horrifically bad movie!). I'd mention Michael Phillips from the Chicago Tribune but he's stopped, and I find Kermode too pretentious even for me.

My favourite movie reviewers on YouTube are...

Spill Reviews : Anarchic animated review which is a ~5 minute snippet/synopsis of a longer audio review from 4 guys who love movies and having fun.

IGN Reviews : They do both videogame and film reviews, I find they're much more considered opinions than previously.

Also give prettymuchit a goosie.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

There's one called 'Why So serious?' reviews which I watch now and then. The lad who reviews for entertainment.ie does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 victorpaul1

blue note wrote: »
    I forgot to mention one that two friends from college have just set up - http://spooool.com/

I think it's a very good site anyway - sure decide for yourself.

Yeah i have also subscribed it.

Advertisement