Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good movie reviewers,blogs,websites???

• 03-02-2012 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi I'm looking for some good film websites or blogs or even YouTube channels with movie news and reviews and all that kind of stuff. any suggestion much appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I currently have these two in my feeds.

http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/

and

http://www.firstshowing.net/

Also it depends what you're in to.

I also have this for my horror updates: http://www.dreadcentral.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Buddly

I like Mark Kermode. A lot of his radio review are on youtube. I find he gives a good no-nonsense review

BBC review show:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00lvdrj

He also has a blog:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I have a few reviewers subscribed - look for "RSS" on each site:

Leonard Maltin: http://blogs.indiewire.com/leonardmaltin/
    Roger Ebert: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/
    plus: Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/movies

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

For a funny take, check out http://thecinemasnob.com/. The gang there do Midnight screening reviews during the summer months. Plus there's the Snob's reviews of absolutely awful films :D
    I'm still disturbed by Gestapo's Last Orgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭AoifeCN

thanks everyone! I like the usual comedy dramas war and historic films not really into horrors :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ColumnLunch

Hi, similar question here.

As a child I used to love the Dave Fanning Movie Show and to a certain extent the Popcorn Movie Review show on TV3.
    Are there any similar (good) weekly movie review shows similar to Mark Kermode but not podcasts. I like having something to watch and listen rather than to listen.

Long time lurker here but would like to start contributing.

Can the great folks here suggest any good movie related books? Some easy reading would be great?

Along those lines, what's everyone's favourite site for movie news and reviews. I used to read empire.co.uk and filmforce on ign but they are more miss than hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

15116395_500x500_1.jpg

Absolutely brilliant reading and very funny in places. Definitely worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭blue note

That_Guy wrote: »
    15116395_500x500_1.jpg

I thought it was crap for the most part. He seems to go on forever about the lack of projectionists in modern cinema's and the bad experience he had trying to purchase tickets online / getting them when he got there. We've all had an experience or two where we've had trouble getting tickets online / over the phone or picking them up when we get there. Then we tell the next person we see about how annoying it was. They politely listen to our little rant and that's it. I don't want to read 20 pages of it!

And were cinema's really all that great with when they had projectionists? How much of a problem is the current situation? Very rarely, there's some sort of a problem with the screen / picture / sound. I would bet other, bigger problems were more common back when projectionists were in every cinema.

And he seems to come back to the same few points time and time again over the course of the book.

There was some good in it - I thought the blockbusters always make money stuff was quite interesting, I enjoyed reading the parts about foreign films.

But overall, I wouldn't pass it onto anyone unless they asked me for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I think Kermode has kind of gone of the boil recently but he's still the best film critic around in my opinion. Used to love his podcast, but can't listen to it now because of that prat Simon Mayo. He's way too obsessed with reading out twitter trite from randomers rather than letting the Kermode go on rants - which is what he's best at.

Sad to say, but wikipedia is my go to spot for movie related news!

• Advertisement

Richard Roeper does good quick reviews too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

kermode's blog is absolutely fantastic. I tend to leave it a couple of months and then blitz through everything he's uploaded since then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

My favourite is Rotten Tomatoes. While quite a US-centric site it has good critic and fan reviews for most (if not all) current releases and also has a good section on upcoming movies.

I will give the Mark Kermode book a go. It looks like exactly what I want.
    The reviews on amazon look promising although I can see where blue note is coming from regarding some of those rants.

I'm not a huge Rotten Tomatoes fan tbh but I have never checked out their video reviews. I take it it is some aggregator of critic's video reviews?

Giruilla wrote: »
    Sad to say, but wikipedia is my go to spot for movie related news!

Things must be bad. ;)

www.imdb.com is a hell of a lot better and probably more dependable than Wiki. ;)

I will give the Mark Kermode book a go. It looks like exactly what I want.
    The reviews on amazon look promising although I can see where blue note is coming from regarding some of those rants.

I enjoyed it but hey, different strokes and all that.

If you have a Kindle you can get it for £6.50 on Amazon. Saw it in Eason's yesterday for €16.

Things must be bad. ;)

www.imdb.com is a hell of a lot better and probably more dependable than Wiki. ;)

Yeah imdb is good of course! I don't like there rating system though... the top 100 films are strange to say the least. Well, as is rotten tomatoes.

I always go to wikipedia straight away after watching a film and end up having a million tabs open to read related articles.
    Then it's imdb to follow up and add more to my watchlist. I think they both complement each other to a certain extent.

However, my problem is, I don't want to go near either regarding a film until after I watch it for fear of spoilers.
    That's why I'm looking for something in the vain of empireonline or filmforce but which you guys consider better.

I always go to wikipedia straight away after watching a film and end up having a million tabs open to read related articles.
    Then it's imdb to follow up and add more to my watchlist. I think they both complement each other to a certain extent.

However, my problem is, I don't want to go near either regarding a film until after I watch it for fear of spoilers.
    That's why I'm looking for something in the vain of empireonline or filmforce but which you guys consider better.

I'm not a fan of IGN's reviews at all, or empire for that matter. For film hype I suppose they are the way to go though.
    Donald Clarke from Irish Times also gives a good review.. and almost never gives out 5 stars.

• Advertisement

Cheers, I will check out Donald Clarke.
    On the flip side, does he rarely give bad films 0 or 1 stars? Some newspapers and magazines/sites (empire) seem to go easy on bad films and that drives me nuts.
    So they could review a great film and a terrible film and the former would get 4 stars and the latter 3 or 2 stars.
    However, the difference between the two films has to be more than just 2 stars if you follow? That's a rant for another day.

I do like the reviews in Day & Night magazine each Friday in the Irish Independent although not so much in the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Strychninism

Easy Riders, Raging Bulls is a must-read if you've any interest in hollywood movies of the 70's.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Easy-Riders-Raging-Bulls-Sex-drugs-/dp/0747544212/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329145306&sr=1-1

Cheers, I will check out Donald Clarke.
    On the flip side, does he rarely give bad films 0 or 1 stars? Some newspapers and magazines/sites (empire) seem to go easy on bad films and that drives me nuts.
    So they could review a great film and a terrible film and the former would get 4 stars and the latter 3 or 2 stars.
    However, the difference between the two films has to be more than just 2 stars if you follow? That's a rant for another day.

I do like the reviews in Day & Night magazine each Friday in the Irish Independent although not so much in the last few years.

Ha, he pretty much gives a film 1 star almost every week! What you said is basically the reason I don't like Empire or the other magazines. I think they're too tied in with the 'business', and are afraid of severing their contacts or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭blue note

I do like Donal Clarke - wouldn't necessarily agree with him, but find him worth reading. Not mad about the Day and Night guys.

What I do like a lot, is the Wednesday movie slot on the George Hook show. I like getting the view of a movie fan (George) along with the movie critic's (I can't think of his name - is it Philip Molloy?).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I really do miss Michael Dwyer though.

A great review book for older movies is Halliwells film guide ( no longer published). You can still pick it up on amazon though. Dont buy the last one or two years it was printed as it was a disgrace but 2008ish earlier should be OK (even though Halliwell was dead by then). The 4 star films are are a must see and the 3 star films are usually classics as well. It reallly helped me in discovering a load of films I would never have seen especially older and foreign movies.

http://www.lesliehalliwell.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

15116395_500x500_1.jpg

Audiobook all the way for his books. It's Only A Movie particularly would probably have been somewhat aimless as a book but as a story read by Kermode himself it was fantastically entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭brian_t

Things must be bad. ;)

I find Wikipedia usually gives a complete synopsis of the film including the Ending whereas the IMDb will usually warn if a review contains spoilers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,076 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Easy Riders, Raging Bulls / Down and Dirty Pictures are like tabloid journalism for film fans. I mean that in a mostly nice way. Gives you a real insight into the way the industry works. Sure, it's occasionally gossipy, but as a candid look at Hollywood they're compelling reads, and Biskind's enthusiasm for film seeps through constantly.

Frankly, there are very few websites that provide the level of insight I'd like. Senses of Cinema was something I discovered for academic purposes, but I tend to find it great for overviews of directors and the like, plus more in-depth analysis. I think Sight & Sound can be pretentious as hell, but I like revisiting their interviews, articles and reviews once I've watched the film, as well as to flag films that may otherwise have slipped under the radar. Empire treats films like a product. Sight & Sound actively engages with them as a medium and artform. It's telling that one has David Cronenberg on this month's cover, while the other has The Avengers.

Critics wise, I'm constantly surprised at the diverse opinions provided by The Ticket - it definitely goes above and beyond the call of duty in that regard. Similarly, Roger Ebert always writes thought provoking pieces even if I rarely agree with him. Twitch is usually the most diverse and engaging general news / review site.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Kermode is a clueless journeyman who
    has opinions of himself...

EASONS must like him, they always
    stock his drivel in multiples... :rolleyes:

Anyhow...THE KID STAYS IN THE PICTURE
    is a really great and fascinating book if you come across it...

And anything by KIM NEWMAN. ;)

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    I do like Donal Clarke - wouldn't necessarily agree with him, but find him worth reading. Not mad about the Day and Night guys.

What I do like a lot, is the Wednesday movie slot on the George Hook show. I like getting the view of a movie fan (George) along with the movie critic's (I can't think of his name - is it Philip Molloy?).

I must check out that movie slot some Wednesday although I can't stand Hook.

Easy Riders, Raging Bulls is here beside me as we speak and although I bought it years ago I never got around to reading it. I will start on that tonight.

Twitch looks like exactly the type of site I'm looking for although maybe a bit too obscure for my tastes. I just took a quick glance so I might be wrong. Anything else like that around?

Advertisement