Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Day Milsim

• 04-02-2012 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

This is a 1 day milsim for all you out there who cant do a weekend session.

Date: 18th February 2012
    Time: 09:30- 20:30 aprox
    Price: €30 for members & €35 for non members

Approx 10 hrs of non stop fun

There is limited spaces. These will be given to a frst come first serve basis.

Registeration opens at 09:30... with gaming from 10:30 till 20:30.

The whole site will be used on this day thats the compound surrounding fields & the forest area.

Two teams will be in play on this day;

1st Team will be rebels (non combat / camo clothing with any type of non army baseball caps or hats)

2nd Team will be armed forces ( full combat/camo clothing)

Please email your details along with preferred team ie rebels or Armed forces to info@thecompoundairsoftclub.com

Game rules on website below

Price ONLY €30 for members & €35 for non-members

www.thecompoundireland.com for site details

Ok game rules are up on the website click here for details http://www.thecompoundireland.com/#!__master-page-1

PS Boards mods & everybody else: Just posting these details for general knowledge dont ask me any questions about the event email address is above for any questions :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

have you any connection to the site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 whyiotta

nope just my team is going and i love playing on the site wanna make it a good day for us all.

its really good site all real buildings and no tyres too, they are opening the whole site for this milsim so i have not played in the forest area before but they put up some footage and it has tunnels dug into the ground that are yrs old.

go team shrapnel! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dbestairsofter

sounds cool just checked website and phoned the owner too he seems sound, just put our name down for a few of us he said there is a crowd planning in coming down from the north too so should be fun, anybody ever played there before pictures look cool

sounds cool just checked website and phoned the owner too he seems sound, just put our name down for a few of us he said there is a crowd planning in coming down from the north too so should be fun, anybody ever played there before pictures look cool

hi dbestairsofter to be honest the pictures dont give it must justice its feckin great craic, loads of buildings and rooms to hide in, been there twice so far and have to say that my favourite site is redbarn but if u like the courtyard area you will love the compound i'm torn between 2 lovers now the compound or redbarn?

but have good & bad points cant wait to see what this milsim is like and use the forest & fields should be fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gerfishboy

whyiotta wrote: »
    T
    Price: €30 for members & €35 for non members

Hi Paul. Do you do team discounts for non-members? Site looks good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Decoy

Just read the rules:
    "There are no mag restrictions for high caps, mid-caps & low caps but unless you are using support gun automatic feed loaders with cap over 500 bb’s is not allowed."
    Obviously the rules are determined by the organisers, that is their prerogative BUT milsim rules typically specify ammo and/or magazine limits so I don't see how this can be classed as a milsim. This alone will put many regular milsimmers off so if they're the target audience the event is missing a major element of milsim here.

Best of luck with the event, it's good to see a new site doing well and trying to bring something different to the market, but if you're going to do milsim then it needs to be done right or it shouldn't be called milsim.

Decoy wrote: »
    Just read the rules:
    "There are no mag restrictions for high caps, mid-caps & low caps but unless you are using support gun automatic feed loaders with cap over 500 bb’s is not allowed."
    Obviously the rules are determined by the organisers, that is their prerogative BUT milsim rules typically specify ammo and/or magazine limits so I don't see how this can be classed as a milsim. This alone will put many regular milsimmers off so if they're the target audience the event is major element of milsim here.

Best of luck with the event, it's good to see a new site doing well and trying to bring something different to the market, but if you're going to do milsim then it needs to be done right or it shouldn't be called milsim.

I know what u mean but i think this is aimed for everyone so that way all can play never mind the people who just do milsims, i personally am happy there is no restrictions because i dont have low or mid caps and cant afford to go out and buy 5 or 6 of them to do a milsim just to see if i like it or not if you know what i mean! my friends are the same :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

so in reality it is just a skirmish then, the milsim title is a little off

whyiotta wrote:
    I know what u mean but i think this is aimed for everyone so that way all can play never mind the people who just do milsims

I don't know many players who 'just do milsims' but those who restrict themselves to milsim-type events won't be there because of the rules that are in place.

whyiotta wrote:
    i personally am happy there is no restrictions because i dont have low or mid caps and cant afford to go out and buy 5 or 6 of them to do a milsim just to see if i like it or not if you know what i mean! my friends are the same :cool:

I hear this a lot and I don't understand the reasoning. A box of 8 MAG mids are around €60, how much have you spent on hi-caps & other airsoft accessories? Playing with mids will actually improve your gameplay.

Puding wrote: »
    so in reality it is just a skirmish then, the milsim title is a little off

Exactly my point, it's NOT a milsim so why call it a milsim?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Milsim is a state of mind, not what capacity magazines you have.

That said, hi-caps make it all too easy to just 'spray' without thinking about your remaining ammunition count, or having to reload, and completely screw with the use of support guns. In a type of game where how you go about doing something is as important as doing whatever it is, hi-caps should be discouraged for removing those few important concepts I mentioned above. So I would not personally be enthusiastic about their use in anything with the label of "milsim", but like all tools they can and do have their place when needed; they just need to be limited/controlled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Although it mightn't be seen as Pure MilSim, one way to use hi-caps is to limit them to support guns. Those with a bipod, which are usually belt-fed, and which can't be fired on the move.

Less than ideal, to some of us ;), but a reasonable compromise.

OzCam wrote: »
    Although it mightn't be seen as Pure MilSim, one way to use hi-caps is to limit them to support guns. Those with a bipod, which are usually belt-fed, and which can't be fired on the move.

Less than ideal, to some of us ;), but a reasonable compromise.

No; Berget-events had it right for those guns where mid/lo caps weren't available. Take hi-cap, mark with blue (in this case) coloured tape, and fill to 100 round capacity.

The rule you suggested brings us back to that old chestnut of M4 stubby thriller support guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Xart

Is anyone from mayo (westport/castlebar area) going to that?

PM me please

Lemming wrote: »
    No; Berget-events had it right for those guns where mid/lo caps weren't available. Take hi-cap, mark with blue (in this case) coloured tape, and fill to 100 round capacity.

That sounds good in theory but doesn't work in practice, at least not here in Ireland. At the first Iraqi-themed event @ Red Barn there were more than a few players happily firing long bursts despite the fact that there was a 50-BB-per-mag limit irrespective of what type of mags you were using. Maybe it works @ Berget, but then again maybe there is a higher, more honourable standard of player over there compared to here?!?

If you insist on mids/lows and enforce the rule it leaves no room for messing.

That sounds good in theory but doesn't work in practice, at least not here in Ireland. At the first Iraqi-themed event @ Red Barn there were more than a few players happily firing long bursts despite the fact that there was a 50-BB-per-mag limit irrespective of what type of mags you were using. Maybe it works @ Berget, but then again maybe there is a higher, more honourable standard of player over there compared to here?!?

If you insist on mids/lows and enforce the rule it leaves no room for messing.

No point in any rule unless it comes with a risk of enforcement. Granted, there's rarely an issue at any TA-events games for example, with people carrying over the allocated 600 rounds (per rifleman; other designations vary) because everyone is there to get the most out of the game and most (at least) will make themselves aware of the rules. But such game events tend to require effort on the part of the player to attend; not just travel, but their personal kit & admin of same among other things. Some of the above does not apply to 'local' site events, and the marshals really do need to be carrying out spot-checks & emphasising the rules before the event to players.

I would ask just how much the rules around ammo limits were emphasised to players before the event dates for the Iraq game you mentioned Decoy. If we use Berget-Events again as example, in order to place a booking you have to have read the rules because you are asked a random question during booking. Similarly, the rules have been published at great length by TA-Events for their games, etc. same again for Stirling, etc. etc. But these being events companies have an advantage over sites in that they tend to use consistent rules between events and have a vested interest in publicising those rules well in advance. Most game-sites may have different rules for differing games & appealing to differing sorts of players on any given day.

I'm not laying this at the door of sites, but it's in their interest to ensure players know the score before setting foot on the field for an organised event. It is also up to players to know the score and show some cop-on & consideration because they are handing over hard money for an experience, and if they act like muppets they ruin it for everyone else.

Another suggestion - although it puts the kybosh on support guns a little - is simply restricting hi-cap players by magazine, e.g. for a game with a 600 round limit, you can have up to two 300 round hi-caps, one 450 round hi-cap, 6 100 round mid-caps, etc.

Coming back to my comments about milsim being a mindset; it ultimately comes down to the player acting like a complete berk (or not), not the magazine capacity they're using.

I'd agree with most of what you said there Lemming, it is down to the players to make sure the event lives up to its potential.

For clarity let me emphasize that the issues at the Iraqi-themed event were down to players taking the piss, not how the game was run. The rules were published well in advance on Facebook & gone through again on the day so there was no excuse for the players not to know the score, IMO those who broke the rules did so in full knowledge of how the game was meant to be played but decided they weren't bothered how their rule-breaking affected others. Some will say that Red Barn should have nipped it in the bud but the amount of blatant cheating was ridiculous and could not have been controlled irrespective of how many marshals were on-site so I don't see how RB were fault.

We're getting way off-topic on this but I hope this discussion will provide some guidance for those running this 1 day 'milsim'

I replay my question.
    Is there anyone going to that from mayo area? Please PM me guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Xart wrote: »
    I replay my question.
    Is there anyone going to that from mayo area? Please PM me guys :)

patience dude it was like 4 1/2 hours,,,,,,,,,,,,, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

is this the compound at the back of the airport with the wheat field and the farm buildings around the place. i played the test game there back in 2008 which went well thought it wasn't been opened. i think i have some pics i took for the openinig that were never used i'll try post some. st Margrets is that where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Varden

I wonder if there is a facebook fan page where you could get info as Iam seriously considering this... However the support gunner bb limit sucks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭ronan keane

Varden wrote: »
    I wonder if there is a facebook fan page where you could get info as Iam seriously considering this... However the support gunner bb limit sucks

I think it meant unless you were a support gunner you can't use mags that have a capacity over 500 rounds :)

jesus lads chill the f##k down i only put this notice up for people to know about it, wasnt expecting a massive debate ur all mad lol.

No the compound is not behind st.margarets in near navan

Yes they have a facebook page its irish airsoft expo or the compound but they have link on their web site.

I personally dont think its a skirmish what skirmish do u know that lasts 10 hrs??? most only last 30 mins its a fecking milsim and thats it so decoy relax take some deep breaths and if that doesnt work take some valium :D

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭OddysAirsoft

most only last 30 mins its a fecking milsim and thats it

Er no.....it's not really a milsim - not defined by what most people would consider a milsim anyway. An extended skirmish is more apt but sounds great !

Don't think anyone is trying to rain on your parade - just trying to clarify on your vernacular !

whyiotta wrote:
    its a fecking milsim and thats it

I hope it's a well-supported event that goes well and gets good feedback but it's not a milsim, not by any definition of the term is it a milsim, it may have some elements of a milsim but it's still just a longer-than-normal skirmish. That's fine as long as the players know what they are signing up for, the issue as I see it is that the title says one thing but the rules describe something different. :confused:

whyiotta wrote: »
    I personally dont think its a skirmish what skirmish do u know that lasts 10 hrs???

Any given skirmish day at Predator for one.

I've been to weekender events that have been essentially one giant skirmish; Ground-Zero 2007, & Op.Arc Angel (2008) at Fireball Squadron being the two that stick to my mind first & foremost.

They have never once been billed as milsim.

As Decoy has said, if it's not a milsim, don't try to bill it as one. Especially if you are not aligned with the event/site in question because that means you're doing a bit of a lone-wolf routine and speaking for nobody but yourself at risk of upsetting the organisers efforts. Nothing wrong with skirmishes, extended skirmishes, film-sim, mil-sim, historical sim, or whatever - just don't label an event as something its not and then people wont get irritated when they discover they've signed up for something they aren't getting.

Er no.....it's not really a milsim - not defined by what most people would consider a milsim anyway. An extended skirmish is more apt but sounds great !

Don't think anyone is trying to rain on your parade - just trying to clarify on your vernacular !
    Oddy will you be attending? It could provide a great opportunity for some game play footage for your channel...

Varden wrote: »
    Oddy will you be attending? It could provide a great opportunity for some game play footage for your channel...

Highly unlikely Oddy will attend, he works most Saturdays. Afaik he is playing @ Compound this Sunday, not sure if he is shooting any video.

Anyone going from mayo/sligo area?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Xart wrote: »
    Anyone going from mayo/sligo area?

You have already asked this question today please wait for a responce.

• Advertisement

Highly unlikely Oddy will attend, he works most Saturdays. Afaik he is playing @ Compound this Sunday, not sure if he is shooting any video.
    Either a friend of Oddy's or his professional stalker...haha only joking okay yes thank you for that info mate..

Advertisement