Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Navan Railway – Strange goings-on at Kilmessan

• 04-02-2012 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

This project has been deferred/suspended whatever but it remains very much a live issue for all landowners affected by the proposed railway order, in that their properties are devalued and presumably any planning applications along the route could be expected to be turned down. Well, that's what you'd think anyway, but it's not turning out quite like that for one planning application at Kilmessan.

First it might be helpful to consider Iarnrod Eireann's plans for the village.

191414.png

Second, the 2009 Kilmessan Local Area Plan

191415.gif

The flashing red area on the above map is the present proposed site boundary for a [URL=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/524936/191416.png[/URL] to see that generous provision was made to accommodate a wide elevated access onto the proposed realigned road. This is all the more surprising given the lands are in exclusively agricultural use at present with no existing dwellings/buildings.

Now, the Council did subsequently refuse the application (although the reasons given for refusal had absolutely nothing to do with the points raised above) and the applicant has appealed that decision to An Bord Pleanala. I am an observer on that appeal (hence the username!) and I highlighted these issues among others in my submission. I was reasonably confident that the Board would turn down the appeal however I'm beginning to feel my confidence was misplaced as the process has dragged on and the Board have requested revised plans which have made the whole thing even more bizarre than it was to begin with. To be honest, I can't understand how this got through pre-planning at the Council level never mind getting what at least appears to be a receptive hearing at An Bord Pleanala.

The Board requested proposals for safe pedestrian access to the village plus connection to the public sewerage network. Those revised plans are viewable below:

1009-PL-008.jpg
    1009-PL-009.jpg

Why are we even talking about gravel path nature trails with bollard lighting? Why has it got as far as this? Surely it makes no sense to grant permission for a development like this in such close proximity to a proposed major public transport project which has yet to go through an oral hearing. The site is also outside the Development Plan Boundary in unzoned agricultural land. Is this the correct way to decide the appropriate land use zoning for lands surrounding the proposed rail line and station?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

How big is the site?
    Is there a residence already on it?

If for arguements sake, the railway was built and I wanted to build, what would the downside for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The site is also outside the Development Plan Boundary in unzoned agricultural land.
    To me this is the crucial bit - there shouldn't be a square foot of land needing rezoning from agri at this stage, there's so much has been rezoned already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Observer2012

BrianD wrote: »
    How big is the site?
    Is there a residence already on it?

The site is a little over 8 acres in size not including the pedestrian walkway.

There are no dwellings or buildings of any kind there at present.
    BrianD wrote: »
    If for arguements sake, the railway was built and I wanted to build, what would the downside for me?

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you wanted to build the proposed dwelling + caravan park?
    I think if the railway was built it is very unlikely it would remain a caravan park for long. More likely to turn into a housing development. Once the land use is changed it's never going back to agricultural again.

If it is granted and operates as a caravan park I see considerable downside for the taxpayer in that during construction of the rail line (according to the current plans) the caravan park would not be able to operate and presumably that would result in a substantial claim for compensation for disruption to the business. Doesn't make any sense to grant it now if they're serious about bringing the railway. It complicates things needlessly.
    dowlingm wrote: »
    To me this is the crucial bit - there shouldn't be a square foot of land needing rezoning from agri at this stage, there's so much has been rezoned already.

Yes and I think it represents a very haphazard approach to zoning as well. Of course all this might be overlooked if the site was ideally suited for a caravan park but I don't think anyone familiar with the area could possibly argue that it is. The road network especially is so poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Ted Mosby

The site is a little over 8 acres in size not including the pedestrian walkway.

There are no dwellings or buildings of any kind there at present.

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you wanted to build the proposed dwelling + caravan park?
    I think if the railway was built it is very unlikely it would remain a caravan park for long. More likely to turn into a housing development. Once the land use is changed it's never going back to agricultural again.

If it is granted and operates as a caravan park I see considerable downside for the taxpayer in that during construction of the rail line (according to the current plans) the caravan park would not be able to operate and presumably that would result in a substantial claim for compensation for disruption to the business. Doesn't make any sense to grant it now if they're serious about bringing the railway. It complicates things needlessly.

Yes and I think it represents a very haphazard approach to zoning as well. Of course all this might be overlooked if the site was ideally suited for a caravan park but I don't think anyone familiar with the area could possibly argue that it is. The road network especially is so poor.

It is extremely moot if 1) the line will actually get built within the next ten years and 2) anything will be built anywhere near it in the next decade.

Seeing as Ag land is increasing in value perhaps the locals fancy scuppering the railway sooner to make a short term profit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Observer2012

Ted Mosby wrote: »
    It is extremely moot if 1) the line will actually get built within the next ten years and 2) anything will be built anywhere near it in the next decade.
    You'd like to believe the planning authorities would be able to think beyond a ten year time frame at least - I mean if planning is really about planning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 nells123

Ob2012, in your opinion, would this park affect the rear of the residents in the village - can't download planning application. Also, if the caravan park goes ahead, do you think it will be used for holiday makers or others.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

this caravan park has the go ahead, wtf these people who are doing this, think its a good idea????? FAILED B4 IT WILL START, bad roads and naf all around for so called holiday makers, the old saying?? a fool and their money are easy parted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nells123

My fear is the caravan park won't be for holiday makers!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Who gives a s*** though? Anyone looking to build in the area would need to have been living under a rock since 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

As far as I know there is no campsites at all in Co. Meath at present. I can see a market for it with Navan, Trim, Tara, Newgrange not a million miles away. If you visit campsites in the UK they are often in secluded locations, Kilmessan has a few shops and pubs. Would contribute to the local economy if it goes ahead IMO.

The roads are not that bad either, perhaps a little narrow in parts but they're nearly always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

nells123 wrote: »
    My fear is the caravan park won't be for holiday makers!!!!

LOL, YEAH WAS THINKING THAT MYSELF

Advertisement