Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Retraining as a programmer

Options
  • 07-02-2012 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi All

I'm a solicitor - as we all know law is dead in the water. IT seems the way to go and I actually always had an interest in programming from having lived with a programmer for 6 years. I was hoping to do the conversion masters in UCD but its only offered full time which I cant do with work. All the part time courses seem to state that you need significant IT experience or an undergrad/other IT qualification. I have a B1 in honours Maths and I am good at Maths so don't think that would be a problem for me.

So what I'm looking for is advice on what courses I should do. I am living in Dublin. I suppose a higher diploma and then masters is the way to go but I don't even know which H, Dip to do or if that is the right thing to do. I'd prefer to stick with Universities if possible or DIT is grand too.

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

You could do the MSc by Negotiated Learning in UCD part time.

It is said that you need do have done a Science degree, or a CS degree or some technical degree but it is not essential as long as you have the ability to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Jewelsmousey

thanks for that. I've emailed the senior lecturer about that to see whether I would be eligable. Its very frustrating trying to retrain while working.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

The University of Liverpool to a number of IT related masters online, one is specific to software engineering. You could have a look at them, I'm currently doing an MSc in Internet Systems with them and it's a good course. I transferred from another online course to this as it was a lot more challenging, which a MSc. should be really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

why not look at some of the FAS online courses .. they're free afaik

there is a demand for skilled IT resources but , and I'll stand corrected if this is not the case, the demand is for people with lots of experience and not just purely in programming.

Programmers are no longer people who just program in one language , they need to know about networks, hardware, databases.. to name but a few.

If you have a legal background and are familiar with the IT systems used within the legal profession perhaps look at getting into one of the companies that sell these systems or an IT consultancy firm based on the skills you already have.

also use your social network.. talk to the person who you used to live with , see what (s)he thinks.

just my 6c

Advertisement