Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bad form and grunting

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

120kg is 60% of my 1rm. i agree with you on the cns, which is why i usually do it on a fri. the doms on a sat are savage though. i do a lot of stretching and rolling on a sat & sun tbh.
    the squats dont bother me or have too much of an effect on the d/l that ive noticed.
    GVT is only meant to be ran for 6 weeks at a time, and im already halfway through it, but its a great way to train and iv noticed changes in the size and shape of the areas im working on.
    what were the 6 uppr exercises you done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

It was pure volume so:

Inc DB press
    S/s with
    Lat pull down

Seated db shoulder press
    S/s with
    Seated row

Rolling DB triceps ext
    S/s with
    Hammer curls

All 10 x 10 with 60s rest between sets.

on the same day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

GASMANN wrote: »
    on the same day ?

Yeah, same workout like. In and out in about 75 mind that day

savage stuff, you will be seeing that workout in my log soon ...

• Advertisement

bench press 60kg 10x10 60sec rec.
    1. 10
    2. 10
    3. 10
    4. 10
    5. 10
    6. 10
    7. 10
    8. 10
    9. 10
    10. 10
    total 100/100

yes yes yes first time completing full set on the bench, i actually think i done 110 reps cos when i was finished i realised i hadnt marked off no.9 in my book so i done an extra set - or maybe i didnt who knows. what i do know is afterwards my triceps were b0llixed, still a bit hungover from yesterdays d/l's. asistance stuff was fairly limited cos of this.

inc. d.b press @ 25kg - 8,8,7

flat d.b flye @ 10kg - 8,8,8

d.b curl @ 18kg - 10,10,10

s.a d.b row @ 34kg - 8,8,8

im fairly tired today after sun&mon. little sleep, bad food ( 18" of subway nothing else since last night ) not really in the humour for it tbh then 1can of monster later this happened...

squat 100kg 10x10 75sec rec
    1. 10
    2. 10
    3. 10
    4. 10
    5. 10
    6. 10
    7. 10
    8. 10
    9. 10
    10. 10
    total 100/100 fairly strong 100 if i may say so myself

OH Press 35kg 10x10 60sec rec
    1. 10
    2. 10
    3. 10
    4. 10
    5. 10
    6. 10
    7. 10
    8. 10
    9. 10
    10. 10
    total 100/100 1st full set at pressing and im happy out.

iv deadlifts on friday and then im going to park this cycle of GVT for a few weeks. on squats today i felt strong, same with the press's - in the sense that when i was fading on the later sets i had the power to push to completion . in weeks 1+2 especially if i began to struggle i was gone end of story.

i didnt do any assistance work, it was late and i was phucked tired and various other excuses, but a good nights work still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Are the rest periods that you are using in the program? or did you pick them yourself?

by the book its 60 seconds between sets, iv allowed myself 75sec on squats and 90sec on deadlifts. im not sticking too a set programme as such, i just picked 4 basic moves that i want to improve on and made the rest up based on the GVT style.
    if i was going to continue a 5th week id bring the time on squats down to 60sec but leave the d/l's alone

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

That's class. I'd love to have a crack at 10x10 of 100kg. I can only imagine the hellish burn, 'specially with those rest times.
    I don't think I saw it in the rest of the log but what sort of 1RM would you be able for at the same time? do you think it has much of a bearing on being able for this GVT stuff?

• Advertisement

my 1rm squat was 165kg, the only bearing it had was that i was working on 60% of maxes on all lifts, so i dont think your max has to be huge as you'll be working off a % whatever your individual max is.
    as for the hellish burn - it got easier as it went on. you should try it for a few weeks, it works !

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Gasman did you have any goals for this cycle of GVT? Did you get any caliper measurements to determine any hypertrophy gains?

yeah my goals were basically undo all my december laziness and lay a good foundation for 2012. im not into the callipers or bmi's or any other modern witchcraft, i gauge it on how i feel and how i look ( eg - belly was big, belly now not so big ). i cant give exact hypertrophy gains but i know that iv made some. my main motivation in training is to be strong, not so much for single lifts but for a more functional strenght. the only gains that mattered to me were the ability to complete sessions, which i couldnt do in week 1 but could in week 4.

deadlifts 120kg 10x10 90 sec rec.

1. 10
    2. 10
    3. 10
    4. 10
    5. 10
    6. 10
    7. 10
    8. 10
    9. 10 hard set, nearly lost grip in right hand at #8
    10. 10
    total 100/100

i was tired again today, work, food blah blah. im still on 90 sec rest between sets. if i was continuing another week id reduce to 70/75 secs. no assistance work tonight.

so thats it for the moment GVT wise. next week im going to run a 5x5 on the same moves and bump up the weight. im also going to work in some light oly moves as part of my warm ups to work on my technique cos il be doing a bit more olympic work over the next month or so.

iv got a new programme to start next week which is going to be savage, its 8 weeks of stuff which will lead into another gvt cycle, with changes and additions to the gvt already done. for this i need to test my maxes so this week im fluting around for mon/tue and testing 1rm's later in the week.

BENCH (1rm 100kg)
    warm up
    bar x 10
    40kg x 10
    60kg x 8

working all x 5
    1. 80
    2. 85
    3. 85
    4. 85
    5. 90 ( x 4 )
    set my hands to wide on no.5 and missed last rep. last september my 1rm was only 85kg so im happy with the progress.

SQUAT (1rm 165kg)
    warm up
    bar x 10 x 2
    70kg x 8
    100kg x 8

working all x 5
    1. 120kg
    2. 125kg
    3. 125kg
    4. 130kg
    5. 135kg

BENT OVER BARBELL ROW
    warm up
    bar x 10
    30kg x 8

working all x 5
    1. 40kg
    2. 45kg
    3. 50kg
    4. 55kg
    5. 60kg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

What's the verdict on the GVT?

Dead Ed wrote: »

Well if it was good enough for Zee Germans...

Dead Ed wrote: »

short answer, verdict = win.
    i loved it, next time around im going to push it harder especially on recovery times, but it works. i wanted to improve endurance in the lifts - especially the uppr stuff. every week i improved on the previous. im testing maxes this week and have a feeling they will be up, if only a small bit.
    my new programme is going to be 4 weeks gvt(hypertrophy), 4 weeks build strenght, 4weeks max strenght, 1week deload. so im hoping to hit it 2/3 more times this year

i need to get my max's as accurate as i can for new cycle, although gvt isnt meant to improve strenght im hoping to push my numbers up a wee bit.

bench
    warm ups
    90kg x 2
    95kg x 1
    100kg x 1 (current pr)
    105kg fail
    102.5kg fail
    dissapointing, i felt on the 100kg that 105kg would be a puddin but no. failed very badly and blew whatever chance i had of 102.5kg. so 100kg it is for now.

squat
    warm ups
    155kg x 1
    160kg x 1
    165kg x 1 (current pr)
    170kg x 1 pr
    175kg x 1 pr
    180kg fail
    a bit dissapointed again, 175kg was comfortable enough, so much so i was looking to a 185/190 max but lost it at the bottom of 180kg i knew by my legs on the way down that i was staying down. well phuck that.

o/h press and d/l tomorow, maybe fri and i AM hitting pr's on both

i wanted to leave this to tomorow but work wont allow me.

OH press (pr 55kg)

warmups
    50kg x 3
    55kg x 3
    60kg x 3 pr
    65kg x 1 pr
    70kg fail - at this point i was called to work, i dont think id have got 70kg though.
    90 min later back from work
    re-warm up
    50kg x 2
    60kg x 2
    65kg x 1
    70kg fail
    65kg fail
    62.5kg fail
    happy with the 10kg pr but really thought i had 70kg in me. got a good pointer on hand position from daveyc21

DEADLIFT (current pr 200kg)
    warmups
    180kg x 1
    190kg x 1
    205kg x 1 pr
    210kg x 1 pr
    215kg x 1 pr
    big PR 15kg - again daveyc21 had a hand in it, good days work. happy happy.

• Advertisement

feeling fresh considering 2 x max effort days in a row. i just done some bar work snatchs + overhead squats, stretching. done 5 font squats too. big session. il need a extra few hours in the scratcher in the morning.

went down to ironside without much of a plan and ended up having a really good 5x5 sort of session.

BENCH - 2 min rec.
    warm ups
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    87.5kg x 5
    87.5kg x 5
    90kg x 5

OH PRESS - 2 min rec.
    warm ups
    50kg x 5
    55kg x 4
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    55kg x 5 felt good here so decided to chase the elusive 70kg again
    60kg x 1 bar moved v.easy, felt +10kg was achievable...
    70kg fail ...but it wasnt

CHINS - blue band - 1min rec.
    iv admitted defeat on the chin ups, so have gone back to band assisted chin ups.

B.W DIPS - 1 min rec.
    5 x 5

wayne put together a new programme today, here it is :

WARM UP
    snatch skills , oh squats , stretches , snatches up to 35kg in 5's.

CLEANS
    warm ups
    working sets x 5
    50kg
    55kg
    60kg
    65kg
    70kg
    i havent done any cleans since may so i took it easy but am pleased with how they felt. movement was ok.

BENCH
    warm ups
    working sets x 5
    80kg
    80kg
    85kg
    85kg
    90kg

BENCH PULL
    working sets x 8
    70kg
    70kg
    70kg
    70kg
    i might have to swap these with some sort of a standing row, hurt my ribs a few weeks ago and felt a lot of pressure there during these, even worse now 8hrs later.

FARMERS WALK
    40m x 4
    100kg
    100kg
    100kg
    100kg
    the grips on the logs tore the hands off me, i need to toughen up my hands for this. weight was handy though.

WIDE GRIP PULL UPS BLUEBAND

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

like i said yesterday havent cleaned since may, im feeling a bit tender today. the landing spots on each shoulder have 2 almost identical bruises which at at least prove my form was consistant as there pretty neat. the backs of my shoulders have pretty bad doms from something yesterday, i havent put my finger on what but they are there. whinge over heres todays work

WARM UPS
    stretches - lots, snatch skills, flexibility work, empty bar snatches

FRONT TO BACK OH PRESS 5x5
    35kg
    35kg
    40kg
    45kg - 4.5 missed second part of last rep
    40kg

INCLINE FLYES 4x8 w/10kg d.b e/s

CHINUPS W/BLUEBAND 4xmax
    7, 6, 6, 5
    (starting to think i might need the army band rather than the blueband)

BASEBALL SWINGS 4x8 e/s
    8.75kg
    11.25kg
    13.75kg
    16.25kg
    never done these before - phuckin love them

i dont know what these are called so for now they are:
    HAMMER-CURL-HAMMER
    16r hammer curl - 8r db curls(each hand @ same time) - 16r hammer curl x4
    w/8kg db

i picked a low weight for these as it a long set, i completed it but was really fighting with it on the last round. i might go to 10kg next week.

SNATCH SKILLS - 10min

CLEANS s/l 5x5
    50kg
    55kg
    60kg
    65kgl
    70kg
    my poor shoulder bruises...

BACK SQUATS
    5x5 @ 145kg
    145kg felt v.heavy early on but actually got a bit more comfortable in 2,3&4

H_BAR D/L s/l 5x5
    145kg
    150kg
    155kg
    162.5kg - meant to be 160kg, loaded wrong plate on 1 side
    180kg

very slow session for some reason, need to tighten up rest times and get through next week a bit more efficiently.

GASMANN wrote: »
    BASEBALL SWINGS 4x8 e/s
    8.75kg
    11.25kg
    13.75kg
    16.25kg
    never done these before - phuckin love them

I did these a few times they are great alright. I'm going to throw some in soon before hitting the golf course this summer.

token wrote: »
    I did these a few times they are great alright. I'm going to throw some in soon before [I]hitting the golf course this summer[/I].

not appropriate for s&ss forum tbh, il have to inform the mods. i dont even know where is appropriate to post about ladysports...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

token wrote: »
    golf.

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

• Advertisement

haha, point noted good sirs.

Advertisement