Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabled Access Certificates

• 07-10-2010 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭

Has anyone prepared one yet ? ( I have not ) . Open invitation here to share early experiences of this new requirement .

link

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Yeah, it's a licence to print money imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Yeah, it's a licence to print money imo.

for whom?

the local authority definitely

us poor consultants definitely... not !

at the moment they are fairly straight forward, however if the revised Part M comes in as it was published.... it will be hardship for existing buildings.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

not yet but we've a few 'change of use's' in the pipe line which should be fun.

Im just wondering who in out LA will check these cos we have a non-existing building control section!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

I've prepared a couple. The local building control officer dealt with them.
    The process is very similar to FSC applications but a little simpler.

At €800/building, it is a bit of a money spinner for the LAs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

archtech wrote: »
    for whom?
    The LA, did you really have to ask......:p

The work load is small for them now as said, but talking to the BC officer about the applications under the revised regs, it is going to increase their work load as they will be visiting ALL application sites as a matter of form. I don't know if this applies to all BC departments or just the ones I spoke to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I am running a two day training course on them in november, see the news and event thread, all the places are just about gone for this one but if I have more numbers I will run another one, 370 for CIAT members, 400 for non CIAT members. Personally I havn't done any yet as there is no commercial work at all around here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Been out of the loop for a while so only preparing my first 2 disabled access applications at the moment, was wondering, is it standard practice to include an accompanying report similar to that required with a FSC? & if so how much detail is required? Looking at the 2010 TGD part M a report could be a lengthy undertaking if one is required!!
    Has anyone else prepared such a report? & if so would they be willing to forward a copy so i can see what level of detail is acceptable to the local authorities?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

DvB wrote: »
    Been out of the loop for a while so only preparing my first 2 disabled access applications at the moment, was wondering, is it standard practice to include an accompanying report similar to that required with a FSC? & if so how much detail is required? Looking at the 2010 TGD part M a report could be a lengthy undertaking if one is required!!
    Has anyone else prepared such a report? & if so would they be willing to forward a copy so i can see what level of detail is acceptable to the local authorities?

Depending on the local authority the level of detail and approach differs considerably. Dublin City Council are worst by all accounts, I had one experience of them to date and the sh!te they wanted to just validate the application, like the applicant personally certify and sign each individual drawing.Certainly did nothing for public service. From what I gather that application was eventually refused, as I wasn't around to see the outcome.

On the other hand I had a very nice experience in South Tipp, very practical approach taken.

In terms of presentation, I worked through the relevant TGD-M in a similar fashion to what I would do in preparing a fire safety certificate and illustrated on the drawings any relevant data such as critical dims for door opes, entrance lobbies etc.

quick question guys....

ive a case where a change of use happened about 3 years ago.. pub converted an off-license to a dining room. About to apply for planning.

I assume a DAC is required on this area, can anyone confirm?

Is the initialisation date the date planing is applied for / granted... or the date the change of use happens?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

sydthebeat wrote: »
    quick question guys....

ive a case where a change of use happened about 3 years ago.. pub converted an off-license to a dining room. About to apply for planning.

Is the initialisation date the date planing is applied for / granted... or the date the change of use happens?

I would guess it goes back to whether a fire cert is required, and reckon you would need to submit a DAC for the area that has changed, but with some mention of disabled access to that space and WC facilities.

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    I would guess it goes back to whether a fire cert is required, and reckon you would need to submit a DAC for the area that has changed, but with some mention of disabled access to that space and WC facilities.

the weird siuation is that a FSC was obtain after the change of us on 07.. without planning.

Im going with it being required until i hear different. Thanks bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sydthebeat, PM your email address and I'll forward some info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

sydthebeat wrote: »
    quick question guys....

I recently had a similar one for material changes and change of use to a commercial building that took place 3/4 years ago. Building control told me that a DAC wasn't as the work took place before the legislation came in. I did have to regularise the fire situation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

One of the Building Surveyors in work submitted one for a property under development in town and it came back with about 15 conditions, some of which were over the top. It really depends on the LA your applying through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

focus_mad wrote: »
    it came back with about 15 conditions, some of which were over the top
    such as?

such as?

Unfortuanatly I do not have it infront of me but when I am in the office tomorrow I will put up a few of the conditions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

DACs are fairly straightforward for most Connacht LA's... no more than a days work in them. I have a huge issue with the flat rate fee of €800 though - it's petty cash for large companies, but a huge outlay for small businesses.. I really can't see how it's justifiable not to base them on something more equitable, like floor area for example.

How is everyone finding the whole process?

I have a good few under my belt at this stage and hopefully more to come :D

How is everyone finding the whole process?

I have a good few under my belt at this stage and hopefully more to come :D

Most have been pretty straightforward, the one i've done in an industrial environment (involved cleanroom design) was less so though, ended up having to attend 2 meetings to agree on arrangements for specific areas, though to be fair we had the same for the fire cert as even the fire officers coudlnt understand what we were doing it was that complicated:D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Most have been pretty straightforward, the one i've done in an industrial environment (involved cleanroom design) was less so though, ended up having to attend 2 meetings to agree on arrangements for specific areas, though to be fair we had the same for the fire cert as even the fire officers coudlnt understand what we were doing it was that complicated:D

Let's not get started on fire Certs ;) i'm currently drafting my argument for the reasons not to install a suppression system. :D great way to spend the evening.

A lot of them as you said are straight forward so long may it continue. Will also have to brush up on the new Part M.

• Advertisement

A lot of them as you said are straight forward so long may it continue. Will also have to brush up on the new Part M.

Although it is a beast in terms of size compared to its predecessor its actually not that much harder to implement, generally speaking, if you've been using the 'buildings for everyone' good practice standards for example you'll not have to make too many sweeping changes to your designs & detailing. Still, like them all when they change, theres hidden gems in there in terms of hair-pulling frustration:D

A few of the DAC appeals have gone through Bord Pleanala now, and the results make interesting reading, particularly re Dublin City;

http://www.pleanala.ie/search/advanced.php?q=&in_title=0&case_scope=cases&date_from=&date_to=&date_type_signed=1&pa=all&case_type=fullCasetype-DS&status=decided&include_reports_etc=0

A few of the DAC appeals have gone through Bord Pleanala now, and the results make interesting reading, particularly re Dublin City;

http://www.pleanala.ie/search/advanced.php?q=&in_title=0&case_scope=cases&date_from=&date_to=&date_type_signed=1&pa=all&case_type=fullCasetype-DS&status=decided&include_reports_etc=0

very very interesting....

i particularly like the contention from the BCA that it is theoretical that a DAC might not be required pending the outcome of an application for dispensation or relaxation of the building regulations (im paraphrasing) in this report

Although it is a beast in terms of size compared to its predecessor its actually not that much harder to implement, generally speaking, if you've been using the 'buildings for everyone' good practice standards for example you'll not have to make too many sweeping changes to your designs & detailing. Still, like them all when they change, theres hidden gems in there in terms of hair-pulling frustration:D

Ah we are on the same wavelength then :D

Was emailed sketches there today so doing a preliminary review of Part M (jobs not fully instructed yet) want to have everything crossed and dotted as they say!

Bit of light nighttime reading there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rural_red

BryanF wrote: »

Just as you've stated Bryan, they should be approached the same way. As usual ask your local disability access officer in the LA. Very simple in general, no need for special course

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bazma8

Hey there,

Has anyone go a word copy of the new TGD M so i don't have to go to the trouble of actually typing it all out?

I'm not asking for your DAC template, that would just be rude.

PM me please if you do

Many thanks

bazma8 wrote: »
    Hey there,

Has anyone go a word copy of the new TGD M so i don't have to go to the trouble of actually typing it all out?

I'm not asking for your DAC template, that would just be rude.

PM me please if you do

Many thanks
    Why not download it from here

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bazma8

Sorry Muffler,

I forgot to include the words in MS Word in that post Doh! :o

I have the PDF version

Sorry Muffler,

I have the PDF version
    There are loads of free programmes out there to convert PDF to Word.....just use the filters down the left side for free versions and your operating system :)

• Advertisement

Sorry Muffler,

I have the PDF version

I'm just curious as to why you'd want to switch back from PDF to MS Word?

Advertisement