Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shirts for the larger individual

• 29-01-2012 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭

This is strength related because weight training is the cause of this issue and if its not ok to put here the delete it cos im not going to the fashion forum

Hey guys any tips on websites or cheap ways to get a shirt to wear with a suit.
    I've a 20 " neck a big back and arms down to a 34 " waist and I ,like most of ye I assume, wear open neck shirts and tee shirts etc most of the time.

I can get tailored stuff but it costs like 80 for a shirt any hints tips ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Where are you getting a tailored shirt for 80 quid? That's very cheap for a tailored shirt.

You could do this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf3OxmanTig

I feel dirty answering that.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I had to get my dress shirt pretty heavily taken in , I don't think its too much of a hassle to do the body/arms because they did it for free when I came in to get my tux altered .Buy one that fits in the neck and bring it to someone who does alterations, shouldn't be more than 10 or 15 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

papu wrote: »
    I had to get my dress shirt pretty heavily taken in , I don't think its too much of a hassle to do the body/arms because they did it for free when I came in to get my tux altered .Buy one that fits in the neck and bring it to someone who does alterations, shouldn't be more than 10 or 15 euro

where is doing cheap 20" neck shirts tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Tigger wrote: »
    where is doing cheap 20" neck shirts tho?

internet may be your best bet , quick google gave http://www.suitsmen.co.uk/shirts/style/brand/20inch-neck/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

This crowd started out somewhere around Marble Arch. I can visualise the shop but I can't remember the street name; they're pretty good for larger sizes but I have only ever shopped in person never over the interweb, as it'll never cartch on.

http://www.highandmighty.co.uk/shop/

• Advertisement

papu wrote: »
    internet may be your best bet , quick google gave http://www.suitsmen.co.uk/shirts/style/brand/20inch-neck/

for anyone searching this:
    they are good but i've got better leads i'll edit when i get sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I tend to get a size or two bigger in shirts but get the fitted or tapered ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

Big men's clothes:
    http://www.jacamo.ie/shop/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Hugo Boss slim fit.

They are not 80euro though.

L

125 sterling + postage :eek:

thanks but :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

L

125 sterling + postage :eek:

thanks but :eek:

I've gotten them in ireland for 120 yoyos, last "shirt" shirt i bought was a white slim fit from that lad Tom, and it did the trick too. Although i bought it for a wedding, and they ended up coming around with seconds and thirds at the dinner, i had 3 steaks, a salmon and two cheesecakes, decided i better go lie down for awhile, and ripped the ****ing thing taking it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭Thud

this crowd have decent options but think 20" is the largest neck size:

www.ctshirts.co.uk

Found this

Itailor.com

I'll let ye know how I get on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

im not going to the fashion forum
    They might know more online tailors like you already found.

You hear of Indian lads doing suits in a few days on your holidays. I think some shoemaker accepted scans of your foot, and you took a few measurements around it too.

rubadub wrote: »
    They might know more online tailors like you already found.

You hear of Indian lads doing suits in a few days on your holidays. I think some shoemaker accepted scans of your foot, and you took a few measurements around it too.

Yes but in their world I'm fat. I had to press a mate recently to show the difference between swole and fat. Its ok for you with your body weight exercises I just wanted to get as strong as I could as quickly as I could. :(

The last thing I had to go to I borrowed a shirt off a mate that got three silk shirts three silk ties and a exact replica of a calvin klein classic suit in lambs wool done for 200 in Indonesia the quality of the shirt was unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hightower86

I had the same problem there a while back, now i wouldn't go up to a 20" neck but i always found it difficult to get shirts till some boardsers directed me to this site

http://www.tmlewinshirts.eu

I went and ordered 5 shirts for €150 and they all fitted! I got the slimmer fit and i had plenty of shirt left. A regular fit should do the trick for you, but if your not sure i think they have a shop in dublin just off Grafton Street if i remember correctly. The shirts are of very good quality too.

Hope this helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I've used a few online made to measure places for shirts. As with most things, I've found that you get what you pay for. If you don't care too much about the quality of the cotton, the collar construction, pattern matching etc. and just want an ok shirt that fits then I'd go online.

If you want a high quality material, high quality construction I'd go to a bricks and mortar tailor. I've done this abroad for peanuts but not in Ireland, from a couple of people I've talked to you'd be talking 60-80E a shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes but in their world I'm fat.
    I was thinking you could just ask about good online tailors, no need to mention your size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Title should read: post in this thread if you're swole and want the world to know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Yes but in their world I'm fat.

I doubt they'd think your fat if you have a 20" neck and 34" waist

• Advertisement
Advertisement