Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bad form and grunting

• 27-12-2011 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

These are my numbers at present @ bw 100kg

Bench 105kg
    Squat 165kg
    OH press 55kg
    Dead 200kg

Now I just have to go and do it ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

How is your oh press so weak in comparison?
    I'm same weight as you & bench 105, squat ~150, deadlift 215 & press 77.5

I did 5/3/1 for 14 months & it did next to nothing for me in terms of 1RMs. I got lots of rep PRs but that's just not good enough. You need to be on juice or milling in the calories for 5/3/1 to "work" and even then I'm
    Not sure it'd be any good.

Give GVT a lash & you can always go bs k to the badass programme & change from bench to incline bench, squat to deadlift and chin up to pull up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

Dont know why its so poor Liam to be honest, most OH stuff iv done in the past has been push press or jerk, so it was a movement im not overly familiar with also i tested all my maxes yesterday so maybe the bench took from the OH and squat from DL.
    I know your a fan of BLABA and so am I, my bench and deadlift are up 20kg each since i started it,my squat is down though. im just looking to freshen things up, if 5/3/1 isnt doing anything for me il drop it like a hot snot, but i need to try it to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Never tried out 5/3/1 as I was put off from what I read on here. The idea of not testing your 1rep max did put me off. Gasman if your going ahead with the program this website maybe of use http://www.strstd.com/
    Not worried about boredom on GVT?

On the over head press I'm guessing the weakness is just down to not training it much? Your technique on the log press that day in Morton looked perfect! Out of interest in training Olympic lifting would the over head press not be trained to help get a bigger jerk & push press?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

How is your oh press so weak in comparison?
    I'm same weight as you & bench 105, squat ~150, deadlift 215 & press 77.5

I know a fair few people who can't press 70% of their bench.

Infact Sami recently told me that my press was big in comparison to my bench (@72.5 vs 102.5).

That may be the case but if you look at the strength standard table, at 100kg, an intermediate press is 70kg and an advanced press is 83kg.

According to Rippetoe,a decent press is 0.75 of BW.

• Advertisement

Never tried out 5/3/1 as I was put off from what I read on here. The idea of not testing your 1rep max did put me off. Gasman if your going ahead with the program this website maybe of use http://www.strstd.com/
    Not worried about boredom on GVT?

I think you have to be your own boss on these things to a degree, i will be testing maxes a couple of times in 2012 even if jim wendler doesnt like it! not to worried about boredom as i intend switching every 4 weeks.

On the over head press I'm guessing the weakness is just down to not training it much? Your technique on the log press that day in Morton looked perfect! Out of interest in training Olympic lifting would the over head press not be trained to help get a bigger jerk & push press?

id say under training the move has a part to play, but the weight lifted is all i could lift so theres no point trying to dress it up - just improve it.
    in my v.limited experience training in the olympic lifts i done no rigid OH pressing or deadlifts, its meant to reduce speed in the oly lifts according to the people who know.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I know a fair few people who can't press 70% of their bench.

Infact Sami recently told me that my press was big in comparison to my bench (@72.5 vs 102.5).
    That may be the case but if you look at the strength standard table, at 100kg, an intermediate press is 70kg and an advanced press is 83kg.

75% of my bench for an OH press is a big target of mine for the new year, i feel its realistic enough as things stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I believe that table to be an arbitrary generalisation.
    Rippetoes illustrative kid from a year or so back ( the kid at the middle of the Lyle/Rip schism) Zach didn't fit those tables. It was alright for him to have a high intermediate squat but a much weaker deadlift. Rip said "Zach isn't a good Deadlifter" which is of course OK if he says it. Come to think of it, I'm sure he has told people to stop living off those tables in his Q&A forums too.

There are literally tonnes of reasons why someones lifts wouldn't adhere to those tables.
    Like, say, body proportions or mobility issues or experience with the lift.

They are a loose guidelines based on the anecdotal observations of two guys and as such are only a measure of where one is if one chooses to use them as their reference point.

bench press w/60 sec rest
    1. 60kg x 10
    2. 60kg x 10
    3. 60kg x 10
    4. 60kg x 10
    5. 60kg x 10
    6. 60kg x 10 v.hard +90sec rest
    7. 60kg x 8 fail
    8. 60kg x 6
    9. 60kg x 8
    10. 60kg x 10

B.W dips

8, 7, 8

SINGLE ARM D.B ROWS
    3x8 e/s @ 35kg db

todays session was sh1t hard, basically no power left in chest. Getting off a bus 2 hours after session, went to grab hand rail and nearly snotted myself.
    looking forward to squat + oh press days , deadlift - not so sure

basically woke up the day after day 1 with a hard dose of man flue, which put me out of action untill today, and being a bit head f#cked i cant start a programme at the end of a week (!). on top of this i treated my sickness with a prescription of roses/heroes/crisps anything else that would fit in my mouth.
    I was going to go back at it yesterday but made an excuse to myself, (it was windy).
    I have a route worked out where i live that is exactly 11km door to door so i ran this tonight, had to blow off some cobwebs.
    Theres a bit of a session in santry on saturday with some peeps from the s&ss forum so after that il be fresh and ready to restart my programme on monday.

11km - 1hr 5min 38sec

I practically fell through the first 3 - 3.5 km , then a bit of a second wind and pushed on a bit pace wise.
    It felt a tough run tonight but that was me more than than anything. I'l be trying to get this in maybe 1-2 times a week so finishing under 1hour is my next target.

good session in santry yesterday with kevinduffy, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056442540&page=4

went for a spin on the bike this morning 20 km in 1:10min, i felt i was puttting in a good shift but at the same time i got over taken a lot by actual cyclists!

• Advertisement

Bench Press 60kg x 10 x 10 w/60sec rec.
    60kg x 10
    60kg x 10
    60kg x 10
    60kg x 10
    60kg x 10 - getting hard now added +15sec rec
    60kg x 10 - forced last 2 reps here
    60kg x 9.5 - agonisingly close to full set, 90% of last rep complete
    60kg x 8 - total fail@8, +15sec rec (90sec total)
    60kg x 9.5 - again just missed lockout
    60kg x 7 - not a hope

I train alone so on each failure i had to roll the bar down my chest to my waist,
    sit up, put the weight on the deck, stand up, turn around, d/l the bar and waddle back to the rack. Id say i looked like a c0ck.

assistance work:

3 x max bw dips + 90sec rec

inc db flyes w 12kg dbs + 90sec rec

Squats tonight

completed 10 sets of 10 @ 100kg which im pretty happy with.
    I was back down in ECB/Ironside too so it was nice to get a change of scenery, the place looks great with the changing rooms and the new d.b section, I havent been in since october so it was pretty big improvement in the gym.

I didnt do any assistance work because i cycled down to blackrock 13km/35 min and then home again 12.7km/39 min.

also im sh1t at chinups so im trying to work up to the point of been able to do 10 in a row so i done 3x3 @ b.w

defo having doms in the morning

ironside again tonight. cycled there and back again but am trying not to time it - which is hard when you want to - to save wiping myself out before i step into the gym.

O/H pressing - strict military 10 x 10 with 90 sec recovery.

i either f*cked up testing my max or allowed to much recovery time but whatever it was i was pressing 30kg (max 55kg)tonight and fairly walked through it. i felt over the first 4/5 sets it was handy but didnt increase as i was expecting fatigue to kick in but it didnt, i was a bit pis5ed off cos it feels like a wasted session.
    i have to figure out over the next few days whether to increase the weight up to 35kg or decrease recovery time to 60 sec or both so any suggestions are welcome.

assistance

bodyrows w/feet on floor

o/h rope extensions
    21.25kg x 10
    23.75kg x 10
    " " x 10

seated rows
    38.75kg x 10
    41.25kg x 10
    43.75kg x 10

chins
    too weak, still 10 away from 10 in a row

26km on the bike too so a good nights work

dealifts in ecb had the place to myself,120kg reps with 90sec rec. went like this

1. 120kg x 10
    2. 120kg x 10
    3. 120kg x 10
    4. 120kg x 10
    5. 120kg x 10 - increased rec +15sec
    6. 120kg x 10
    7. 120kg x 9 reset +1 more
    8. 120kg x 8 - starting to fight for the lockout
    9. 120kg x 8 - getting v.tired especially at top of the lift
    10. 120kg x 5 - bo11ixed altogether, mentally i had ten in the bag for a good finish but it just wasnt in the tank.

the highest volume d/l iv ever done was 5x3's a couple of years ago, ive knocked out sets of 5 before @155/160kg but only for single sets so i was really concerned about whether id be able for the volume. where i usually train doesnt allow chalk so i use straps for reps, i purposely went down to ecb today to try and get it done barehanded and beltless with chalk to keep the sweat at bay.
    im fairly pleased with how it went and reckon i should be able to push for full reps of the first 8 sets next week.

for assistance work i done 3 sets of 8 back raises but then got called back to work so had to cut it short.

week 1 done

woke up very stiff in my back, hams, calfs so went for a handy 5k on the treadmill to loosen up a bit, got home and done some rolling and stretching. im going to take a day off sunday to try get fresh for monday.

missed monday so im going to do the 4 sessions done in consecutive days this week

looking back at last week and re-reading some stuff about gvt i realised that i was being a bit of a pu$$y with the recovery times. so today i stuck to 60sec's between sets im also going to start totalling the lifts in the session to make it easier to measure progress.

bench press 60 kg
    1. x10
    2. x10
    3. x10
    4. x10
    5. x10
    6. x10
    7. x10
    8. x10
    9. x10 - daveyc21's presence intimidated me into completing this set
    10. x8.5 w/spotter

98/100

i surprised myself in completing the first 9 sets, but if i didnt have a spotter on the last id still be pinned under the bar.
    i was just starting my assistance stuff ( 5 dips ) when i was called back to work so left it at that.

squats 100kg
    1. 10
    2. 10
    3. 10
    4. 10
    5. 10
    6. 10
    7. 10
    8. 10
    9. 10
    10. 10

total 100/100

in week 1 i gave between 90sec-120sec between sets but stuck to a strict 75sec today. im still tinkering with this type of training as regards rest times and assistance excercise, my aim by maybe week 4/5 is to complete the 10x10 at the current weights with 60sec rests.
    for assistance i done 3 sets of 10 b.w forward lunges after that my legs were spent.
    3 sets of chins to sh1t to put on the record, apparentley admitting you have a problem is the first step.

feeling very heavy in the legs from yesterday

OH press 35kg 60 sec rest between sets
    1. 10
    2. 10
    3. 10
    4. 8
    5. 8
    6. 7
    7. 8
    8. 9
    9. 7
    10. 7
    total : 84/100
    completed 10x10 last week @ 5kg lighter and 90sec rest, big difference today. very simple try complete 90 reps next week then 95 then 100.

body rows ,feet on floor 3 x 8

50kg bent over BB rows 3 x 8

BW dips 3 x 8

chins 2 x _

deadlifts 120kg w/90sec rest between sets

coming into this today my legs and back were suffering pretty bad doms, i was considering pushing it to tomorow or reducing volume. i started off quite sluggish up to about set 4, at that point i was 1/2 way (maths) and this gave me a second wind of sorts. i was much stricter on timing rests, last week they were loose enough on the back 5. all in all im pretty pleased, 4 reps short of completion.
    total : 96/100
    1. 10
    2. 10
    3. 10
    4. 10
    5. 10
    6. 10
    7. 10
    8. 8
    9. 8
    10. 10

week 2 is finished, next week im going to up the intensity on the assistance work and maybe do squat + oh press on the same day to increase chances of recovery. il figure it out over the weekend.

10km on treadmill, back and legs are aching. got a good sweat up and a nice stretch after then realised id gone out with no house keys and no change of clothes and mrs GASMANN would be away untill night time ( @12.30pm ). long afternoon,

• Advertisement

feeling real fresh today, cycled to ironside for benching ...

1. 10
    2. 10
    3. 10
    4. 10
    5. 10
    6. 10
    7. 10
    8. 10
    9. 10
    10. 9 and 2/3 - spotter

total 99/100

so close to a full set, pretty pissed off with it to be honest. got a few pointers from daveyc21 on benching for high reps which im hoping will get me over the line next week.

incline db press @25 kg db 3x8

8 , 7 , 5

bw dips 3x8

7, 5, 0

flat db flyes @10kg 3x8

8, 8, 8

db curl @16 kg 3x8

8, 8, 8

s/set x3
    single db row @ 36kg 10e/s
    rope pulldown @ 16.5kg x 8

11km run 1h:5m:38s

running last night was a good idea at the time, but made squats a lot harder than they should have been tonight, i was feeling off the pace early in set1 and didnt improve. it was more of a mental battle than a physical one, thankfully stubornness won out.
    im going to put squat and overhead press into the same session from this week on, worked well tonight but doesnt leave a whole lot of juice in the tank for assistance work, hopefully in time that end of things will improve .

SQUAT @ 100kg
    1. 10
    2. 10
    3. 10
    4. 10
    5. 10
    6. 10
    7. 10
    8. 10
    9. 10
    10. 10
    total 100/100

OH PRESS @ 35kg
    1. 10
    2. 10
    3. 10
    4. 10
    5. 10
    6. 10
    7. 10
    8. 8
    9. 10
    10. 7
    total 95/100 - +11reps on last week - happy

BODY ROWS
    8, 8, 8

CHINS
    3, 2, 2

DIPS
    8, 8, 7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

GASMANN wrote: »
    deadlifts 120kg w/90sec rest between sets

coming into this today my legs and back were suffering pretty bad doms, i was considering pushing it to tomorow or reducing volume. i started off quite sluggish up to about set 4, at that point i was 1/2 way (maths) and this gave me a second wind of sorts. i was much stricter on timing rests, last week they were loose enough on the back 5. all in all im pretty pleased, 4 reps short of completion.
    total : 96/100
    1. 10
    2. 10
    3. 10
    4. 10
    5. 10
    6. 10
    7. 10
    8. 8
    9. 8
    10. 10

week 2 is finished, next week im going to up the intensity on the assistance work and maybe do squat + oh press on the same day to increase chances of recovery. il figure it out over the weekend.

that session would be my worst nightmare :eek:

fair play to ya...

i tought that too Pavel, when your doing it its not too bad, i didnt think id be able for it so getting closer to completing it each week is a good feeling, i find an hour or two after training im looking back at incomplete sets wondering could i or should i have performed better.
    im doing week3's d/l tomorow and am itching to get at it

unable to train yesterday or today, bar 2hrs this morning @6am due to work.
    no gyms open so 11km run in 1h:0m:59s v.happy with time.
    ironside tomorow after mass...

Deadlifts

had a bad start by pinching my last 2 fingers on 1 hand while trying to take a 25kg plate from a stand. i cut them both on the 2nd knuckle so it was hard to keep plasters in place, but heroically i carried on.

warm up
    5 sets of 3 empty bar snatch

d/l @ bar x 5, 70kg x 5

deadlift 120kg 10x10 90sec between sets
    1. 10
    2. 10
    3. 10
    4. 10
    5. 10
    6. 10
    7. 10
    8. 10
    9. 10
    10. 10

total 100/100
    phucking delighted with a full set. from 7 on i was fighting the last 2/3 reps per set. i havent completed set 8 up to now, so when i did i knew i had it bet in my head.
    today took more out of me than anything has in a while, i tried unloading the bar straight away and couldnt, after about 5 mins of lying on the floor i managed to wrestle the plates off and put them away. if there is cctv in that section of the gym id say it would be fairly funny to watch back.
    no assistance work bar a token gesture on the legpress
    50kg x 10
    100kg x 10 x 2
    tried some empty bar snatching, again major fail.

week 3 is done and iv made gains on every movement against weeks 1+2 so im happy out.

009.jpg
    008.jpg
    011.jpg

warning images may not be as dramatic as described in text

I think 10 x 10 on the deadlift is absolutely bag of hammers mental.

thought that myself before i started liam, like i posted in week1 i didnt know if id be able to do it. the conclusion i kept coming to in my head though was "why not do it". im not a pt or anything like it but i know my capabilities and im able for it. the d/l session is the one i look forward to most each week.
    is there a reason why you think its nutso though, as i said i thought the same but realised it was do-able and am comfortable with it now. id be interested to hear what you think

• Advertisement

What would 120kg be in terms of your 1RM?

I just think that 100 reps of the deadlift is a huge amount & a is gonnactake a big toll on your CNS.
    That's be my main concern with it like. And the. The fact that you're doing 10 x 10 squats aswell in the same week.

The upper body stuff is grand. Seems way easier to recover from.

I did 6 exercises for 10 x 10 a couple of weeks ago (all upper body) and really enjoyed it as an upper body volume session.

I just don't think it applies as well to lower the deadlift as the load moved is honna be larger & do is the toll on the CNS.

Advertisement