Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starship Voyager dumped into skip

• 25-01-2012 8:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Tearful Trekkie dismantles intergalactic flat
    By Lester HainesGet more from this author
    Posted in Entertainment, 24th January 2012 12:38 GMT
    One Trekkie's dream of boldly going where no interior designer has gone before appears to be over – thanks to his estranged wife, who has decided his starship Voyager-themed flat isn't entirely suitable for the terrestrial housing market.
    Former DJ Tony Alleyne, 58, has spent 10 years and a wad of cash coverting the one-bed pad in Hinckley, Leicestershire, into a faithful replica of the spaceship's flight deck.
    voyager_flat.jpgGeorgina Alleyne has told Tony the flat has to boldly go. Pic credit: 24th Century Design

Alleyne's attempt to build a Star Trek-inspired design business on the back of the flat ended when he was transported to the bankruptcy courts, and the poor bloke then faced a serious hydroponic fungus attack, courtesy of his cannabis-cultivating neighbours.
    Voyager survived that particular menace, but now faces a terminal threat in the form of Alleyne's wife Georgina, who has been paying the mortgage on the starship since the couple split in 1994.
    They're finally getting a divorce, and Georgina told the Sun: "I want to sell it as conventional property."
    A distraught Alleyne said: "To say I'm gutted is an understatement. It is my life's work – and it looks like it's going into a skip. I admit there were tears." ®

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Bitch!

I've always said to my OH, i'd love a room in my house like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

I'd settle to have my linux looking and functioning like LCARS :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

she has been paying the Mortgage since 1994 and he spends his money on this?

Get a job

It's a bloody miracle that she didn't string him by the short & curlies when he built it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

she has been paying the Mortgage since 1994 and he spends his money on this?

Get a job

oh ffs come on, its a work of art, he does have job anyway as an interior designer but job or no job his work is more worthwhile than any job

• Advertisement

the poor bugger is in hock up to his eyeballs, it was a failed business venture and so his ex-wife was having to pay all his debts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

but job or no job his work is more worthwhile than any job

I could think of a few nurses & firefighters who would argue that point

I mean it is frikken awesome, in all fairness, but a bit of common sense. The ex has been paying his mortgage for 18 years!!
    Did he actually think that she would keep on paying, once they were divorced?

I don't understand why his wife didn't divorce him sooner.

EnterNow wrote: »
    I could think of a few nurses & firefighters who would argue that point

yeah but if you go down that route we'd have no art, no culture, no music, just firefighters, doctors, nurses and plumbers. What a boring world it would be. Art is one of the few things that makes life appealing. I think Nietzsche said, without music life would be a mistake. My point was that get a job! is commonly used if someone isn't being successful outside of the mainstream. I don't agree with this, I commend this guy for being unconventional and trying to live his dream, even if it was a disaster. I feel sorry for him as well as I'm sure his motivation was to carve out a niche so that he wouldn't have to keep the head down and work in a conventional 9-5.

Its kinda the same with a rich person, say they're rich and they do nothing all day, are they called a waster? No, they're international playboys. But if they're not they're called wasters who live in their parent's basement. Society's double standards once again. If anything I feel sorry for him because he's been beaten down for standing up to convention and now he has a difficult path ahead of him for doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Pretty sound of her to pay his mortgage for 18 years. It's clearly an impressive labour of love but the man needs to look at his priorities if he couldn't pay the mortgage and yet continued to spend thousands on this.

My point was that get a job! is commonly used if someone isn't being successful outside of the mainstream. I don't agree with this

Well no, you said his job, as an artist or whatever, was more worthwhile than any other job. This clearly isn't the case. Every job is worthwhile, but there are people who truly make a difference & nobody is more worthwhile then them.

Well no, you said his job, as an artist or whatever, was more worthwhile than any other job. This clearly isn't the case. Every job is worthwhile, but there are people who truly make a difference & nobody is more worthwhile then them.

No, what I meant was that it was more worthwhile for him than doing something he hated just to pay the bills even if it did blow up in his face. If I were to be an assface nihilist I would say "its all subjective man, there is no more or less worthwhile job as its all in your head." I would say the value of a job is purely subjective, in experiential terms this varies depending on the situation. Beethoven was a musician and made as big a difference I think than anyone employed in a something which makes a direct immediate difference. Ditto for Van Gogh who made a small difference in his lifetime which turned into a big one posthumously. There's no absolute way to evaluate the worth of an occupation. Of course I would add goldman sachs employee, marketing executive, speculator and politician to the worthless jobs list. In experiential/local terms its more clear cut as to what makes a difference and what doesn't. If someone is sick a doctor makes worthwhile difference, if someone's house is on fire the firefighter is more important than the doctor at that point. The doctor and firefighter are more important than the artist. But remove the artist and you have a world without entertainment, its bland and pointless so the artist is just as important in a different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Seems a shame to tear it apart. I am sure they could sell it as a star trek themed apartment for people all over the world to stay in, and charge 100 euro a night, or for wedding couples who love star trek to use it as a setting for wedding photos. I'd also say a rich trekkie would want to buy it and would pay more for it than a conventional property. Some people never think outside the box.

Seems a shame to tear it apart. I am sure they could sell it as a star trek themed apartment for people all over the world to stay in, and charge 100 euro a night, or for wedding couples who love star trek to use it as a setting for wedding photos. I'd also say a rich trekkie would want to buy it and would pay more for it than a conventional property. Some people never think outside the box.

I was thinking that it could be worth more as it is too.
    All depends on the location I imagine

yeah but if you go down that route we'd have no art, no culture, no music, just firefighters, doctors, nurses and plumbers. What a boring world it would be. Art is one of the few things that makes life appealing. I think Nietzsche said, without music life would be a mistake. My point was that get a job! is commonly used if someone isn't being successful outside of the mainstream. I don't agree with this, I commend this guy for being unconventional and trying to live his dream, even if it was a disaster. I feel sorry for him as well as I'm sure his motivation was to carve out a niche so that he wouldn't have to keep the head down and work in a conventional 9-5.

Its kinda the same with a rich person, say they're rich and they do nothing all day, are they called a waster? No, they're international playboys. But if they're not they're called wasters who live in their parent's basement. Society's double standards once again. If anything I feel sorry for him because he's been beaten down for standing up to convention and now he has a difficult path ahead of him for doing that.

To cut to the chase, in my opinion, he's a bum who let his girlfriend pay his mortgage for 18 years. There's no defending that, even with philosophical musings. There are genuine people in need in this world, what he done is a purely selfish exercise. Hopefully you never have to, but if you ever have to deal with the staff in Beaumount hospital, don't try & tell me those people are in the same league as this fella.

To cut to the chase, in my opinion, he's a bum who let his girlfriend pay his mortgage for 18 years. There's no defending that, even with philosophical musings. There are genuine people in need in this world, what he done is a purely selfish exercise. Hopefully you never have to, but if you ever have to deal with the staff in Beaumount hospital, don't try & tell me those people are in the same league as this fella.

No doubt the staff at Beaumount are doing a great service towards the betterment of society. There was a report which showed that people in these types of professions contribute vastly more than those in the top tier financial professions, in other words a nurse or whatever works a lot harder and for less money but contributes vastly more to human life in general. So why does the pin striped asshole get paid more? But value is subjective, I agree with you in local terms, but the world would be a lesser place without artists, everyone contributes, in different ways. To privilege one profession over another is the problem with societies in general. It just leads to economic and social penalties for people with talents and interests which don't fit into the prevailing trend. He lived the dream but fell off the wave. I hope something good comes of his dream.

That said, with such awesome interior design skills he could have gotten a job and met her halfway. Which kinda makes this whole discussion moot. :P

Advertisement