Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airsoft VS Paintball?

• 08-01-2012 3:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

i've been thinking about doing either one or the other once I get my Leaving Cert finished with. Airsoft looks more appealing - eg, realistic guns, pellets don't hurt when you're hit etc, but compared to paintballing, which one's better and less complicated? I heard that with airsoft you have to join teams to be able to play, and airsofts apparently a lot more expensive - a good gun costs roughly 250 or over, equipment, eg scopes, vests, uniforms, bags, magazines etc would cost a fair few hundred quid?
    But which is considered better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    i've been thinking about doing either one or the other once I get my Leaving Cert finished with. Airsoft looks more appealing - eg, realistic guns, pellets don't hurt when you're hit etc, but compared to paintballing, which one's better and less complicated? I heard that with airsoft you have to join teams to be able to play, and airsofts apparently a lot more expensive - a good gun costs roughly 250 or over, equipment, eg scopes, vests, uniforms, bags, magazines etc would cost a fair few hundred quid?
    But which is considered better?

Asking which is better is like asking whether soccer or rugby is better. They're both from the same family of sport so to speak. Both have their pros & cons and neither is better than the other (unless it's airsoft of course ... :pac: )

You seem to have been misinformed regarding airsoft.

First off, you do not need to be a member of a team in order to play. I'm not, nor have I ever been and I have been playing since 2007. In this I am not an exception as you'll find the vast majority of airsofters the world over are not members of any 'team'.

Secondly, airsoft can be as cheap or as expensive as you want to go. If you want to just turn up, rent a gun & play, airsoft is notably cheaper than paintball. If you start buying your own kit, it gets more complicated but it's up to you how much you want to spend. You do not need a truck-full of tacti-crap to play, but if you want to, again it comes down to what you want to do personally.

Thirdly, paintball markers can be just as - if not more expensive - than airsoft guns.

Forth, in order to own a paintball marker you will require a firearms license as far as I am aware (unless those requirements have been changed/dropped). Not so with airsoft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

Lemming wrote: »
    Asking which is better is like asking whether soccer or rugby is better. They're both from the same family of sport so to speak. Both have their pros & cons and neither is better than the other (unless it's airsoft of course ... :pac: )

You seem to have been misinformed regarding airsoft.

First off, you do not need to be a member of a team in order to play. I'm not, nor have I ever been and I have been playing since 2007. In this I am not an exception as you'll find the vast majority of airsofters the world over are not members of any 'team'.

Secondly, airsoft can be as cheap or as expensive as you want to go. If you want to just turn up, rent a gun & play, airsoft is notably cheaper than paintball. If you start buying your own kit, it gets more complicated but it's up to you how much you want to spend. You do not need a truck-full of tacti-crap to play, but if you want to, again it comes down to what you want to do personally.

Thirdly, paintball markers can be just as - if not more expensive - than airsoft guns.

Forth, in order to own a paintball marker you will require a firearms license as far as I am aware (unless those requirements have been changed/dropped). Not so with airsoft.

no, I think 250 is a reasonable price for a gun, I'd be looking for one around that price as the very cheap ones are usually spring powered and slow to use, a battery powered one do suit me best - they're not very expensive, and the gas powered guns need to be filled with co2/air canisters quite frequently, which are quite pricey? Regarding licences, don't you need one to import an airsoft gun from a foreign country into Ireland? Also what areas around Dublin can be played in?

no, I think 250 is a reasonable price for a gun, I'd be looking for one around that price as the very cheap ones are usually spring powered and slow to use, a battery powered one do suit me best - they're not very expensive, and the gas powered guns need to be filled with co2/air canisters quite frequently, which are quite pricey?

Don't get me wrong, €250 will get you a pretty decent gun that sits across the budget/start-of-midrange bracket. But it is the tip of the iceberg in terms of what you can get and for what price.

Electric powered (hence the term AEG- automatic electric gun) are by far and away the most common airsoft guns you'll find. I'd go so far as to say you would need to specifically go looking for a gas-powered gun unless we're talking about pistols.

Gas powered guns obviously have a larger running cost over time vs. electric. At face value it can be pricey, but if you're buying either co2 cannisters in bulk or using propane it works out considerably cheaper albeit still with higher cost vs. electric ultimately. But gas guns have their appeal. I wouldn't recommend a gas-powered rifle for a beginner though; too much overhead.
    Regarding licences, don't you need one to import an airsoft gun from a foreign country into Ireland?

Legislation has not yet been enacted regarding personal imports. So no you do not need a license, nor will you once said legislation is enacted; you'll just need to order via a shop instead.
    Also what areas around Dublin can be played in?

Check the sites sub-forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

firstly I would say that this is probably the wrong question to ask in the airsoft section as you're going to get a lot biased answers, although most users will give you pro's and con's for both. and so will I:

I prefer airsoft. I've been paintballing and the consistency of the rifles used is horrible (it was in the place i went to anyways)
    to em it sounds like your main problem is money and the price of airsoft Vs paintball. some have already made some good points but what you got to realise is as far as im aware a decent paintball marker will set you back 400-500 euro while a decent entry airsoft AEG maybe 250. also the cost of BB's, for 14 euro you get 4000 BB's while you pay 10 euro for 100 paintballs, and i know you can pay them cheaper yourself but the paintballing place i went to didn't let people use their own paintballs. the one problem airsoft has against paintball is that paintball is way more popular so easier to get out and play if you're new and generally runs into less negative media as airsoft does.

hope there's something in there that helps mate

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

airsoft pros

don't need a team or own gear.
    aeg's cost less than paintball markers
    you need no licence to hold an aeg
    its cheaper all round eg bb's vs paintballs aeg's vs markers

airsoft con's

its an honorable sport but some don't play by the rules
    sites tend to be few in ireland
    realistic aegs mean the sport is shrouded in bad press

paintball pros

more power in markers hence greater range on projectile.
    more accepted sport

con's

expensive
    you need a licence to own your own marker
    the damage of a paintball is exceptional compared to a bb hit
    not as much realism as airsoft

here's a few point that you can take into account. both sports are good but on this forum airsoft rules supreme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

pellets don't hurt when you're hit etc

they definitely do "hurt" when youre hit, much like paintball.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

This is the first time I have disagreed with a Mod but airsoft is nowhere near as hurtful as paintball. I have been hit with thousands of BB's and no serious marks left but any time I have gone paintballing I am left black and blue for a week regardless of what I wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

I think that while in paintball you get shot by 1-3 paintballs, and you feel pain, while in airsoft you might get shot with like 10 pellets at same time especially in CQB, but that's just my opinion. I think airsoft is less dirty, as in no color on clothes etc..

T4RGET wrote: »
    firstly I would say that this is probably the wrong question to ask in the airsoft section as you're going to get a lot biased answers, although most users will give you pro's and con's for both. and so will I:

I prefer airsoft. I've been paintballing and the consistency of the rifles used is horrible (it was in the place i went to anyways)
    to em it sounds like your main problem is money and the price of airsoft Vs paintball. some have already made some good points but what you got to realise is as far as im aware a decent paintball marker will set you back 400-500 euro while a decent entry airsoft AEG maybe 250. also the cost of BB's, for 14 euro you get 4000 BB's while you pay 10 euro for 100 paintballs, and i know you can pay them cheaper yourself but the paintballing place i went to didn't let people use their own paintballs. the one problem airsoft has against paintball is that paintball is way more popular so easier to get out and play if you're new and generally runs into less negative media as airsoft does.

hope there's something in there that helps mate

Thanks :) my main problem wasn't money issues, really I thought I would have to join a team to be able to play airsoft, which it appears I won't have to, so that's a relief! Cheers,

Random wrote: »

lol yeah i've been paintballing only once with one of my cousins like three years ago and first match I got hit in the face, which was still a painful bastard despite the fact I was wearing a visor, not to mention all the paint went through the air-holes! the second match was a slaughter... i was hit by well over 20 paintballs at once when I decideed to surrender (i was the last one left on the team), so I ended up hiding in cover for the rest of the other games, was still great craic though. but from what i've seen and heard, when you're hit by a pellet, it simply bounces off and the player just calls out ''hit!'' and your out. One reason why I might prefer airsoft., becuase I wouldn't be afraid to go out there and go for the other team if getting hit doesn't hurt.

• Advertisement

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    airsoft pros

airsoft con's

paintball pros

more accepted sport

con's

expensive

here's a few point that you can take into account. both sports are good but on this forum airsoft rules supreme.

about clothes eg, camo, equipment etc, when I went paintballing, everyone there was dressed in simple camo clothing, my main worry that with paintball is that it would be frowned upon to dress up like a complete juggernaut out of call of duty to avoid feeling any pain, whereas by the looks of airsoft in videos i've seen, the players are all dressed up as proper soldiers, which I'd probably prefer,

but from what i've seen and heard, when you're hit by a pellet, it simply bounces off and the player just calls out ''hit!'' and your out. One reason why I might prefer airsoft., becuase I wouldn't be afraid to go out there and go for the other team if getting hit doesn't hurt.

Airsoft can hurt alright, but it tends to be either when you're up close - in CQB environments for example - or get hit with an unlucky shot with enough force to a sensitive spot. I would describe the pain as more sharp string and then *gone* vs. a proverbial pasting one might receive at a paintball site. I've seen a few unlucky cuts & bruises, but mostly you'll just get a small welt or blemish on the skin for a couple of days.

Bear in mind that that you're using an airsoft gun that's putting out 1j or under in force vs. the 14-17j expended by a paintball marker. It's not quite as straight forward as that as the difference in diameter, weight, & composition of the ammunition types needs factored in as well, but you get the idea.
    about clothes eg, camo, equipment etc, when I went paintballing, everyone there was dressed in simple camo clothing, my main worry that with paintball is that it would be frowned upon to dress up like a complete juggernaut out of call of duty to avoid feeling any pain, whereas by the looks of airsoft in videos i've seen, the players are all dressed up as proper soldiers, which I'd probably prefer,

This is where airsoft & paintball differ - for me anyway. Most people think of 'woods ball' when they think paintball, whereas most paintball enthusasists would think competition speedball, which is a whole other deal. Airsoft tends to be oriented more towards milsim (or more tactically oriented at any rate) to varying degrees, with different types of play as a result. That said, you'll find plenty of airsoft games organised that are literally just speedball with airsoft rather than paintball and that's fair enough.

Like I said before, it's like trying to compare soccer & rugby and asking which is better, never mind 5-aside indoor footie or tag-rugby variants, etc. etc.

This is where airsoft & paintball differ - for me anyway. Most people think of 'woods ball' when they think paintball, whereas most paintball enthusasists would think competition speedball, which is a whole other deal. Airsoft tends to be oriented more towards milsim (or more tactically oriented at any rate) to varying degrees, with different types of play as a result. That said, you'll find plenty of airsoft games organised that are literally just speedball with airsoft rather than paintball and that's fair enough.

Like I said before, it's like trying to compare soccer & rugby and asking which is better, never mind 5-aside indoor footie or tag-rugby variants, etc. etc.[/QUOTE]
    Really I wanted to know what other people thought which one's better (from their experiences) I probably should've said so lol. that's what I really meant though.
    Are foreign airsoft trips to to the UK/US, wherever else organised for normal players like yourself, or are they only organised for team members? I read somewhere about that type of thing,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

As has been said previously, Airsoft is NOT a team only thing. You can travel abroad, play in events, play at sites etc all by your lonesome. Teams exist, but so do solo players.

Airsoft is a strange little hobby. It is rather multifaceted, and many people take many different things out of it. Some collect, some play, some plink (target shoot), and some replicate.

For many Airsoft is a Sunday Skirmish - you show up to your chosen site, basic load out (built for practicality and no other real reason), and play. Games are generic, there is no command structure, and rules are rather simple (once hit, respawn etc). There is not usually a storyline.

For others Airsoft is once in a blue moon; event play. People will eagerly await an event, build their loadout for it accordingly (i.e. authenticity in mind) and play. The vast majority of events will be MilSim orientated - there is a command structure in place, there are usually more complex rules in place (e.g. medic rules), and there will normally be story driven gameplay.

You really can take whatever you want out of Airsoft; it's entirely up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭CaptainCook

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    airsoft pros

airsoft con's

paintball pros

more accepted sport

con's

expensive

This pretty much sums it up. ive played both and looked into getting marker before buying too many aeg's, on price a good marker from RAP4 will cost the same as a high end AEG. Id say airsoft is easier to get into but all the camo and even the RIF's scared the be jes*s out of me first time i saw them. Then once you own them you realize they are just big boys toys with very little danger (still though treat them with respect never take them out in public). I would agree with the above poster its most definitely cheaper to get into, a JG g36c, a battery, charger some gear (BDU's, Cheap vest or rig, MOST IMPORTANTLY FACE AND EYE PROTECTION, A trip to the dentist or god forbid an opthalmic surgeon is no laughing matter for the latter to occur you would have to of been doing something very stupid, unlucky and probably illegal for this situation to occur) can all be assembled for approx 300 - 400 yoyo's and your good to go.

Both are great craic deciding between both its just personal preference.
    Ive met some great people playing airsoft, very friendly talked about their aeg's but also met alot of d**ks, lets call them the AIRSOFTERATTI, who think its their jobs to act as unofficial police around airsoft and who seem to spend most of their time knocking people or condoning anybody who does not sing from their particular hymn book. Any who just ignore them and enjoy it, it is really good craic, i don't get out playing as much as i'd like but when i do you want to go straight back out.

Cheers, i've been wanting to join airsoft for at least a few years now but never really found the time to with school in the way of everything lol. yeah i've heard about the airsoft ar**h***s who take the game too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Cheers, i've been wanting to join airsoft for at least a few years now but never really found the time to with school in the way of everything lol. yeah i've heard about the airsoft ar**h***s who take the game too seriously.

Don't worry though - those types are few and far between!

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Don't worry though - those types are few and far between!

lol, hopefully! :D where are good places in or around Dublin for airsofting?

Random wrote: »

yeah i'm sure they do if you're in very close quarters and are wearing thin material, at long range though you might just feel a slight flick on clothes and harder one on exposed skin, but nothing too painful. i never want to feel the pain of a paintball again :D

yeah i'm sure they do if you're in very close quarters and are wearing thin material, at long range though you might just feel a slight flick on clothes and harder one on exposed skin, but nothing too painful. i never want to feel the pain of a paintball again :D

even at range they can give a good whack. not too put you off but i lost a bit of my tooth on sunday playing, still played on as i love airsoft so much, just to prove it can hurt (and injure) but play safe and you're good :)

• Advertisement

even at range they can give a good whack. not too put you off but i lost a bit of my tooth on sunday playing, still played on as i love airsoft so much, just to prove it can hurt (and injure) but play safe and you're good :)

ouch, then i'll probably just buy a full face covering visor to prevent the same happening to me lol! i suppose as well that if they do hurt then it adds some excitement into the game?

ouch, then i'll probably just buy a full face covering visor to prevent the same happening to me lol! i suppose as well that if they do hurt then it adds some excitement into the game?

another point yeah, well sometimes people are a bit too afraid to push forward but adrenaline usually helps there, especially at new sites when you don't know the place.. i use a Bolle goggles and then a half face mask but im going to get a mesh one like this
    http://www.hobbyairsofter.com/Airsoft-Accessories/Goggles-and-Masks/%20V1-Strike-Steel-Half-Face-Mask-TMC

and i use these as eye protection
    http://www.hobbyairsofter.com/Airsoft-Accessories/Goggles-and-Masks/Bolle-Viper-Clear-Lens-Shooting-Glasses

nice, mesh would probably also allow you to see a bit better as well as allow a lot more air to your face. these look good for a good price
    http://www.mainirishairsoft.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=915i've also been looking at those mesh masks as well as this particular gun:
    http://www.airsplat.com/Items/ERM-DE-M89-UMP.htm
    doesn't look too bad, comes with everything you need :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

i've also been looking at those mesh masks as well as this particular gun:

At 370 feet per second though, you'll need to ask them to downgrade it before shipping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

nice, mesh would probably also allow you to see a bit better as well as allow a lot more air to your face. these look good for a good price
    http://www.mainirishairsoft.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=915i've also been looking at those mesh masks as well as this particular gun:

They are a great AEG. I bought one about 4 years ago and used it as my main CQB AEG.
    I gave it to my mate in the UK who has been using it for the past 2 years without problems.

As has been mentioned in the previous post it will need to be downgraded.
    Mine came in at 380, changed the spring down to 320fps.

one of the luck of the draw things i think, my mate had one, he couldn't geet any mags for it, no battery would last long enough and then one day the whole gun just decided stop working altogether :P

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    At 370 feet per second though, you'll need to ask them to downgrade it before shipping it.[/QUOTE

is it required to be downgraded by law?

one of the luck of the draw things i think, my mate had one, he couldn't geet any mags for it, no battery would last long enough and then one day the whole gun just decided stop working altogether :P

on that site Airsplat there are mags for that particular UMP for around $10, they carry 300 pellets each, which is pretty decent.http://www.airsplat.com/Items/ER-UMP-DE-MAG.htm I was looking for one of those Israeli Tavor Tar-21 bullpup guns in airsoft on some other site but it was around $500 and comes without a battery and charger, which is a bit of a rip-off imo. the really expensive guns tend not to come without batteries or chargers for some odd reason. :confused:

I was also gonna ask about airsoft silencers, do they really ''silence'' the gun or are they worth getting? :confused:
    these two for example: http://www.mainirishairsoft.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=828

and this auto-tracer?? how does it work? http://www.mainirishairsoft.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=625

• Advertisement

a good place in Dublin i've been in is Army Bargains. It's a good little shop on Little Mary St. that sells the bits and pieces you could use for airsoft eg. uniforms, jackets, bags, vests, camo, balaclavas, bags, helmets, and stuff for outdoors :) the stuffs a bit pricey but still pretty good. only thing is though is that the staff like to follow customers around the shop, i was in there once about two years ago and again recently to have a look around and i could see that an asian fella who worked there was over my shoulder for pretty much the entire time, and at the very most stayed about a few feet behind me. i left a few moments later as I was feeling just very uncomfortable in there with him behind me the entire time and it just pissed me off greatly, i couldn't relax and enjoy looking around and i was also afraid to pick up anything and look at it - afraid that your man would accuse me of trying to rob, i don't know. sorry for going a little bit off-topic there! :p

Advertisement