Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Docs on the TV this week.

• 22-01-2012 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Any chance of this being made a sticky? :)

BBC4, Friday night is music night.

How the Brits Rocked America: Go West
    BBC4 9:00pm-10:00pm (1 hour ) Fri 27 Jan

Season 1 Episode 1 of 3
    How the West Was Won New series. British bands' attempts to find success in the USA, beginning in the 1960s, the decade in which acts including the Beatles, the Hollies, Herman's Hermits and the Animals found fame on both sides of the Atlantic. The documentary examines how British musicians and American audiences became fascinated by each other's cultures, and features contributions by Paul McCartney, Graham Nash, Peter Noone, Eric Burdon, Donovan and Mickey Dolenz

The Beatles: The First US Visit
    BBC4 10:00pm-11:10pm (1 hour 10 minutes) Fri 27 Jan

The Fab Four's tour of America in 1964, including their memorable performance on The Ed Sullivan Show, which exposed 73 million TV viewers to the Beatlemania experience for the first time. The visit was captured by cameramen Albert and David Maysles - the makers of documentaries including Grey Gardens, Primary and Gimme Shelter - who were granted unprecedented access to the musicians both on and off duty
    Category General Music/Ballet/Dance
    Director Kathy Dougherty, Susan Froemke, Albert Maysles

Vox Pop: How Dartford Powered the British Beat Boom
    BBC4 11:10pm-11:40pm (30 minutes) Fri 27 Jan

Iain Lee discovers how Vox, a small music-equipment manufacturer based in Dartford, Kent, helped the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and the Shadows define the sound of the 1960s with its amplifiers. The comedian tells the company's story, hearing from musicians Brian May and Bruce Welch, along with some of the staff who worked at the Vox factory at the time. Previously shown on BBC1 in south-east England

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

Prince of Paisley Park - Sky arts 1 10:00pm Wednesday.

A look at how Prince built his mystique and redefined 'black music', the importance of sex in his songs, and the risk he took in setting up a $10 million record label, Paisley Park.

John Lennon : Classic albums Sky arts 1 9:00 pm Friday.

A fascinating look at the making of John Lennon's debut solo album, Plastic Ono Band.

The Doors : No one gets out alive. Sky arts 1 12:05am Saturday

Members of the doors discuss the legend of their charismatic and exhibitionist front man and lyricist Jim Morrison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

mike65 wrote: »
    Any chance of this being made a sticky? :)

Seeing as I really want to watch a lot of these, yeah, I think so! I'll stick it now :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I was going to post these up myself this week .

The two below were on BBC 4 last year and great to view if you missed them first time .

How the Brits Rocked America: Go West
    BBC4 9:00pm-10:00pm (1 hour ) Fri 27 Jan

The Beatles: The First US Visit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Good Rockin' Tonight: The Legacy Of Sun Records is on Sky Arts 1 at 11.00 PM tonight (Wednesday 25 January).
    The history of the record label that launched the careers of Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins and Roy Orbison. Artists including Matchbox Twenty, Paul McCartney, Johnny Hallyday, Kid Rock, Zucchero and Third Eye Blind also perform covers of some of the label's biggest hits
    I saw it myself a few months ago and thought it was pretty good, although I could have done without Kid Rock.

How the Brits rocked America / Part two on BBC 4 , friday the 3rd @ 9.00

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01bgqlc/How_the_Brits_Rocked_America_Go_West_Stairway_to_Heaven/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭take everything

Just watching How the Brits rocked America now.
    BBC 4 does some great documentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

How the Brits rocked america? Eh yeah, just how did they bring it to america seeing as Americans had done it already :rolleyes:
    They also managed to make U2 part of their 'British' Rock. Very disappointing documentary from the usually excellent BBC4.

kerash wrote: »
    How the Brits rocked america? Eh yeah, just how did they bring it to america seeing as Americans had done it already :rolleyes:
    They also managed to make U2 part of their 'British' Rock. Very disappointing documentary from the usually excellent BBC4.
    If you listen to the dialogue in parts 1 and 2 of the documentry ,you'll hear some of the British artist such as Jimmy Page say '' it was America who gave us Rock n Roll and Blues but they gave up on it for a period until we brought it back to them again ''. He was refering to that period in the very late 50s/early 60s period when it was the teeny pop idols like Fabian ,Bobby Rydel and Booby Vee who were riding the charts with their boy /girl ballads ....until the brit groups , with their long hair and twangy guitars, arrived and rocked the place up again .

U2 are made out to be part of British Rock ? .That's because they are , they had to cut their teeth in the UK scdene before they made it in America anyway .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kerash wrote: »

Jasus if you were watching you'd understand how white Americans in the 60s had completely shut out true blues based music in favour of stuff like surf music and MOR crooners. It took the British bands to get that market listening to what was American music (albeit with a British accent).

I happen to agree about shoe-horning U2 in but they also had The Boomtown Rats who are 100% Irish whereas U2 are 50% British born.

Interesting enough show though its interesting how many acts who sold millions in the USA didn't get so much as a mention during the series - Def Leppard, Rod Stewart, Wham/George Michael, Supertramp, Queen, Bee Gees, Phil Collins, Genesis, Dire Straits, The Who, The Kinks, Iron Maiden and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Jaysus I was watching ;) and listening to the dialogue, btw Jimmy Would be quite the fool if he didn't admit that he took black american music and gave it back to them :D
    What I wasn't impressed with was constant pushing of the suggestion that the Brits invented Rock Music! It wasn't balanced, lots of important acts went unmentioned as Mike says.

Anyhoo - we had a Weekend of Jazz on BBC4 this week. Sonny Rollins Documentary was particularly good. Thelonious Monk last night, a lot of very sad stories.
    Not sure is it on again tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Ireland's Rappers on 9.30 Tonight on Network 2, might be interesting, though Ireland has yet to produce anyone of the calibre of Dizzee Rascal, The Streets or Roots Manuva someone may be on the way up.

Re- How the Brits Rocked America: Go West

Exaggerations aside ,there is no doubting that the Brits did for long periods throughout the 60s 70s and 80s , dominate the pop and rock scene in America and it would have been nice to see an extended version of the programme covering the many groups not mentioned .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Couple of good looking shows on Gerry Rafferty coming up this Friday night on BBC4, starts at 9...

BBC2 London 9:20pm-10:20pm (1 hour ) Sat 25 Feb

I'm in a Boy Band!
    Season 1 Episode 1 of 3

New series. Three programmes exploring the experiences of being a music star. The first focuses on the boy band, featuring contributions by a cross-generational selection of artists, including members of Motown ensembles the Four Tops and the Jackson 5, as well as modern groups such as One Direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Anyone notice that Sky Arts seems to have gone exclusively HD now? Shame if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Bryan4president

flyswatter wrote: »
    Anyone notice that Sky Arts seems to have gone exclusively HD now? Shame if true.

No. its just changed number. Its at Sky 129 now. I only noticed because I have it as a favourite channel, and it came up earlier on the list

Friday Night is Disco night on BBC4

Southern boogie on down night on BBC4 9 pm
    Sweet Home Alabama: The Southern Rock Saga
    How groups including Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Allman Brothers Band helped popularise a style of rock music rooted in the culture of America's Deep South during the 1970s. The programme explores how the genre had an impact beyond the world of music, shaping the cultural identity of some of America's most deprived and marginalised regions. Featuring contributions by Gregg Allman, Mike Mills, Charlie Daniels, Doug Gray, Al Kooper and Bonnie Bramlett

followed by as per usual by Southern Rock at the BBC (10 pm) then The Old Grey Whistle Test: Lynyrd Skynyrd in Concert (11pm) finally The Old Grey Whistle Test: Macon Whoopee - a festival show covered by Bob Harris

BBC2 London 10:00pm-10:30pm (30 minutes) Mon 16 Apr

Sounds of the 70s 2: Art House Glam - Get in the Swing

Season 1 Episode 1 of 10

New series. Collection of archive performances by artists including the Kinks, Roxy Music, Elton John, New York Dolls, Queen, Sparks and Rod Stewart. Plus, a recently rediscovered recording of David Bowie singing The Jean Genie from January 1973

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Not traditional tv per say (is for me though, play it through my PS3 onto telly) but Netflix US has a load of music stuff about 8 Classic Albums episodes plus this stuff just added today (some good, some awful)

Alice Cooper: Brutally Live 2000
    Alice Cooper: Live at Montreux 2005
    Asia: Fantasia: Live in Tokyo 2007
    Bob Marley & the Wailers: Catch a Fire
    Canned Heat
    The Charlie Daniels Band: Volunteer Jam 1975
    Classic Albums: Cream: Disraeli Gears
    Classic Albums: Metallica: The Black Album
    Classic Albums: Phil Collins: Face Value
    Classic Albums: The Grateful Dead: Anthem to Beauty
    Deep Purple: In Concert with The London Symphony Orchestra
    Diana Krall: Live In Rio 2009
    Doctor Strange hot
    Dresden Dolls: Live at the Roundhouse London 2007 Dresden Dolls 134
    The Groundhogs: Live at the Astoria
    Keane: Curate a Night for War Child 2007 Keane, Lily Allen, Pet Shop Boys
    Queen: Rock Montreal & Live Aid
    Ray Charles: Live at the Montreux Jazz Festival 1997 NR 3.1 new Apr 16 Ray Charles 73 minutes | play queue
    Sebastian Bach: Forever Wild
    Classic Albums: Sex Pistols: Never Mind the Bollocks
    Simply Red: Stars
    Sinead O'Connor: Goodnight, Thank You, You've Been a Lovely Audience
    Strat Pack: Live in Concert Joe Walsh, David Gilmour, Brian May, Ron Wood
    Tori Amos: Live at Montreux 1991 & 1992
    Wyclef Jean's All-Star Jam at Carnegie Hall Wyclef Jean, Mary J. Blige, Eric Clapton, Macy Gray, Stevie Wonder, Destiny's Child, Marc Anthony, Charlotte Church, Third World
    Yes: Live at Montreux 2003 2003 NR

Also has load of great non concert music docs.

• Advertisement

BBC4 reggae night. All repeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

It's just finished but probably available elsewhere or will be repeated.

"Jazz" was an excellent series I stumbled across on PBS and I wouldn't consider myself a huge enthusiast.

Well worth a look if you've an interest in music.

BBC4 Friday 25th 9pm

PINK FLOYD evening but with new stuff!

Wish You Were Here -
    John Edginton's documentary explores the making of Pink Floyd's ninth studio album, Wish You Were Here, which was released in September 1975 and went to top the album charts both in the UK and the US.

Featuring new interviews with band members Roger Waters, David Gilmour and Nick Mason alongside contributions from the likes of guest vocalist Roy Harper, sleeve designer Storm Thorgerson and photographer Jill Furmanovsky, the film is a forensic study of the making of the follow-up to 1973's Dark Side of the Moon, which was another conceptual piece driven by Roger Waters.

The album wrestles with the legacy of the band's first leader Syd Barrett, who had dropped out of the band in 1968 and is eulogised in the album's centrepiece, Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Pink Floyd had become one of the biggest bands in the world,
    Etherington also did " Syd Barrett: Crazy Diamond" and "The Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett Story" which were good viewing.

followed by A Pink Floyd Miscellany 1967-2005 (repeat)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭furiousox

Just watched the WYWH doc.
    Fantastic.

CPL 593H

Even when Rog and Dave are in different places the tension is palpable!

Its Punk Season on BBC4 and tonight at 9 pm is the first of a series

Punk Britannia
    Season 1 Episode 1 of 3
    Pre-Punk 1972-1976 New series. An insight into the musical landscape of the 1970s, exploring the development, influence and legacy of the punk genre, beginning with the rise of pub rock and the emergence of bands including Dr Feelgood, Ducks Deluxe and Kilburn & the High Roads. Featuring contributions by artists including Paul Weller, John Lydon, Mick Jones, Adam Ant and Wilko Johnson. Narrated by Peter Capaldi

followed by several punk themed programmes including Dr Feelgood/Ian Dury at the BBC and repeat of Stiff Records doc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Friday Night is Disco night on BBC4

Bit late writing this but watched this when it was on and it was very good, good documentary on discos history and a load of live performances from the BBC archives.

Part One of Punk Britannia was excellent, loved the narration by Malcolm Tucker. Its observations about how a couple of years or a slightly longer haircut was at times the difference between being in or out was intriguing, such fine margins!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Part One of Punk Britannia was excellent, loved the narration by Malcolm Tucker. Its observations about how a couple of years or a slightly longer haircut was at times the difference between being in or out was intriguing, such fine margins!
    YEah, I really enjoyed it. Is the next part next weekend, or tonight?

• Advertisement

Its on Fridays (so up against the footie :eek:)

Advertisement