Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

kettlebell training

Options
  • 10-01-2012 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Just curious to know a couple of things about where people train with their kettlebells.
    I personally prefer outside for fresh air and the knowledge that if i drop them the floor boards won't get smashed but often the weather prevents this.
    For indoor training, what do people use for underfoot in case a bell drops? I've never been to any Girevoy competitions so i don't know whats used.
    I've thought about judo/dojo mats,3/4 inch plywood or even cow mats. Anyone any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭joeduke

I do a lot of mountain biking and want to start a weights program but I have hear a lot about Kettle Bells but I dont know much about them. How many bells and what weight ones do I need? I would be grateful of any help you can give.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭marathonic

joeduke wrote: »
    I do a lot of mountain biking and want to start a weights program but I have hear a lot about Kettle Bells but I dont know much about them. How many bells and what weight ones do I need? I would be grateful of any help you can give.

I believe the general recommendation is an 8kg starting weight for women and 16kg for men.

I'd advise going to a few classes near you to learn the moves. You may also end up progressing past the 8kg/16kg after some classes and avoid the need for purchasing the smaller weights. There are kettlebell workshops coming up next weekend in Dublin 8 which I've read good reviews for.

Standard kettlebells are all different sizes depending on the weight. Competition kettlebells are the same size, regardless of weight, and are colour coded to let you know the weight.

If the price difference when buying isn't too much, get the competition kettlebells. There's currently a sale on the competition ones in http://www.buykettlebelldublin.com/products/kettlebells meaning they're the same price as standard ones.

These 2 * 24kg standard kettlebells are also a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

marathonic wrote: »
    I believe the general recommendation is an 8kg starting weight for women and 16kg for men.

Really?? I wouldn't recommend most guys starting more then 8 due to lack of technique, well for the basic! swings & bad technique is a sure fire way for fatiguing your back!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 aaronboyse

Find a Gym close to you that does Kettlebell Weightlifting. Also, what type of Kettlebells are you talking about? There is the Competition Kettlebells and the Cast Iron Kettlebells.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

rayana wrote: »
    Just curious to know a couple of things about where people train with their kettlebells.
    I personally prefer outside for fresh air and the knowledge that if i drop them the floor boards won't get smashed but often the weather prevents this.
    For indoor training, what do people use for underfoot in case a bell drops? I've never been to any Girevoy competitions so i don't know whats used.
    I've thought about judo/dojo mats,3/4 inch plywood or even cow mats. Anyone any suggestions?

It looks like they use something like stall mats on top of firm ground for competitions

I don't think you should really be dropping them in training. I'm pretty sure training for GS involves picking a certain RPM and sticking to it without going too crazy (the AKC manual is online somewhere). Also, it's handy enough to snap a handle off with certain types of kb, which is no good! Maybe just keep things sensible when indoors and only push very hard when you get outisde

Be careful though. Krazybells are known to cause a condition called "the taint"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Burkatron wrote: »
    Really?? I wouldn't recommend most guys starting more then 8 due to lack of technique
    The placed link will do a course with a kettlebell included in the price, and say 12-16kg. I would guess you can pay more for a larger one.

http://www.buykettlebelldublin.com/node/607
    1 x Cast Iron Kettlebell suited to your own weight, a starting weight of 6-8kg for women and 12-16kg for men are usually recommended, If a lighter/heavier weight is required, this will be adjusted on the day.

They have an adjustable one for €135, not like the other adjustable ones which look like modified dumbbells. I wonder if its any use.

http://www.buykettlebelldublin.com/node/741

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭joeduke

Has anyone done a course or any classes in D8 fittness??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭chadmustang

I learned everything I know about kettlebells from Dan John's articles on t-nation and his website! He's pretty knowledgeable on them and could explain astrophysics to a baby!

Advertisement