Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iMessage for Dummies -an organic guide.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭ablelocks

a couple of times when I've sent an imessage, the recipient sees the 083 number of my sim, rather than my actual 087 number. This only happens with imessage - any time i send a normal text or make a call the recipient sees my 087 number (or my name if in their address book).

How to fix this?

(i switched from a personal account to a business account with 3, am new to iphone 4s and to iMessage, so i may have not set it up right. )

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

Soot-fan wrote: »
    Hi,

The wife lost her iphone 4 with imessaging activted.
    The phone was password locked.
    Her new phone is a android euorpa :eek: with the same phone number
    The porblem is when i text her it sends an imessage rather than a normal text message. the imessage is never devliered.
    this is a pain as i have to resend it each time as a text.
    I don't want to turn on the 'send as SMS' in setting for other reasons.
    I tried creating a new contact with the same phone number but that doesnt work.
    we share an ipad but my details are on imessaging.

any ideas how to unregister her number from imessage.

Did she have an iCloud account too?

ablelocks wrote: »
    a couple of times when I've sent an imessage, the recipient sees the 083 number of my sim, rather than my actual 087 number. This only happens with imessage - any time i send a normal text or make a call the recipient sees my 087 number (or my name if in their address book).

How to fix this?

(i switched from a personal account to a business account with 3, am new to iphone 4s and to iMessage, so i may have not set it up right. )

Try connecting the iPhone to iTunes and adjust the number in "summary". Or go to settings/phone/my number on the handset itself and correct there.

culabula wrote: »
    Try connecting the iPhone to iTunes and adjust the number in "summary". Or go to settings/phone/my number on the handset itself and correct there.

no option to change it on the phone, will try itunes.

edit - itunes won't let me change the number either. As far as i can remember, when I initially set it up in itunes, i entered my 087 number as the phone's number. A few days later, i backed-up and restored in order to get the 9A406 update - could that have reset the phone's number to the sim?

no option to change it on the phone, will try itunes.

edit - itunes won't let me change the number either. As far as i can remember, when I initially set it up in itunes, i entered my 087 number as the phone's number. A few days later, i backed-up and restored in order to get the 9A406 update - could that have reset the phone's number to the sim?

You're with Three? And you don't have phone/My Number in settings?

• Advertisement

You're with Three? And you don't have phone/My Number in settings?

yep, with three (087 is a ported number)

I can see the "my number" in phone settings as an 083 number (the number on the micro-sim i got), but I can't change it.

yep, with three (087 is a ported number)

I can see the "my number" in phone settings as an 083 number (the number on the micro-sim i got), but I can't change it.

I can I just click on the forward arrow > beside the number and adjust it.

I can I just click on the forward arrow > beside the number and adjust it.

no arrow beside mine.

are there other settings that should be on/off for the arrow to become active?

no arrow beside mine.

are there other settings that should be on/off for the arrow to become active?

No idea, am afraid, mine has always been like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Soot-fan wrote: »
    Hi,

The wife lost her iphone 4 with imessaging activted.
    The phone was password locked.
    Her new phone is a android euorpa :eek: with the same phone number
    The porblem is when i text her it sends an imessage rather than a normal text message. the imessage is never devliered.
    this is a pain as i have to resend it each time as a text.
    I don't want to turn on the 'send as SMS' in setting for other reasons.
    I tried creating a new contact with the same phone number but that doesnt work.
    we share an ipad but my details are on imessaging.

any ideas how to unregister her number from imessage.
    Delete any previous text conversations.
    Switch iMessage off, then back on.

Write new text, it should be a green button, ie SMS.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »

Was just about to try that with someone in a similar recently-lost iPhone scenario, when I noticed it was back to green of its own accord. Maybe resets itself eventually.

It will check itsself again periodically. But you can force a check by turning it on and off.

I had to do that a few times recently. Was only back in ireland on a temp sim, had data switch off (until I enrolled in a free internet with top up plan) and going in and out of wifi caused it to stall sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Soot-fan

tried this and it still comes up as an imessage.
    when i sellect her contract there is a blue speach balloon beside her name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

My partner has just started using iMessgae. However, her customized text tone has disappeared and been replaced with the default one. Any way to link this tone to iMessage?

My partner has just started using iMessgae. However, her customized text tone has disappeared and been replaced with the default one. Any way to link this tone to iMessage?

No problem. Most of mine have dedicated ring tones.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

I just cant seem to get this activated on one of my iphones
    I have 1 itunes account that i use for myself and my wife
    her iphone can use imessage
    I setup another account for myself separate apple ID and email and got the activation email but its just showing waiting for activation for days now.
    Tried turning it off and on , logging out of itunes etc but still not working

No problem. Most of mine have dedicated ring tones.

:confused: so how is it done? Her text tone is set it just doesn't use it since she switched to iMessage?

:confused: so how is it done? Her text tone is set it just doesn't use it since she switched to iMessage?

Just return to contacts, select desired contact, click edit and "ringtone" will appear as a configurable option.

I think you are miss reading the question.
    She is refering to a text tone not a ringtone.

iMessage uses a different tone. So the custom ringtone it still there, (go to sounds to set it) but it only works for message from non imessage users. The imessage tone is a separate default sound. Theyll prob change this in a new update, rather simple fix I have thought.

I think you are miss reading the question.
    She is refering to a text tone not a ringtone.

iMessage uses a different tone. So the custom ringtone it still there, (go to sounds to set it) but it only works for message from non imessage users. The imessage tone is a separate default sound. Theyll prob change this in a new update, rather simple fix I have thought.

Yes, you're quite right - it is called text tone. However, in order to set a dedicated one for a given contact, you do so in the manner that I have already described. Go to your address book, choose that contact, click edit, scroll down to text tone and choose the ringtone, custom or otherwise and set it from there.

• Advertisement

As Mellor has said, go to settings/general/sounds/text tone if you wish to reset the tone to your custom one for everyone. To set a dedicated one for individuals, do so using the method I describe. Apologies if I misconstrued your question.

That actually reminds me, I need to update my custom tones.

Yes, you're quite right - it is called text tone. However, in order to set a dedicated one for a given contact, you do so in the manner that I have already described. Go to your address book, choose that contact, click edit, scroll down to text tone and choose the ringtone, custom or otherwise and set it from there.

Thanks but I've already done all that! My ringtones and text tones are set for all my contacts. I'll just have to wait for an update that will allow me to over-ride the default text tone on iMessage!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Hi all

I have had some problems with iMessage. Some international texts which are sent to my friend are being sent as regular SMS and not iMessage. I have "send as SMS" turned off so this shouldn't happen. Right ?

photota.png

Any help is much appreciated

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Not if you friend doesn't have iMessage. Are you sure they are running iOS 5 and have it enabled?

Not if you friend doesn't have iMessage. Are you sure they are running iOS 5 and have it enabled?

It still should not be sent as SMS if the user has that option turned off.

Hi all

I have had some problems with iMessage. Some international texts which are sent to my friend are being sent as regular SMS and not iMessage. I have "send as SMS" turned off so this shouldn't happen. Right ?

photota.png

Any help is much appreciated

It shouldn't no, though it did happen to me initially a few times and then settled down and hasn't happened since.

If I were you I would de-activate iMessage and then re-activate (may incur charge, dependant on your network).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It still should not be sent as SMS if the user has that option turned off.

Yeah, but maybe they aren't until it turns blue, confirming that the contact does have iMessage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Yeah, but maybe they aren't until it turns blue, confirming that the contact does have iMessage.

The other person does indeed have iMessage. Its weird because the other messages sent fine and turned blue. It has happened a few times before. It must be a bug or something :). Still cost me €0.25 for the text though :P.
    I normally just use whats app or viber, but in this instance sent via iMessage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

hmm, I'm in Spain at the mo, updated to 5.1 today and now it wont activate my imessage with my apple id, same one i've been using the whole time, have wifi on and briefly turned on 3g and roaming data with wifi off just to see if the text turned blue but it doesnt, tried on different roaming networks as well and did a network reset, it should work while roaming right?

Advertisement