Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Szent István University - Veterinary MEGATHREAD

• 11-05-2010 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

has any done the entrance exam for this?
    i looked at the topics on the brochure and i can't find a few of them in my Bio or Chem books
    Is it hard compared to leaving?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

I'm only finishing 5th year, but I will be applying to all veterinary medicine courses in Eastern Europe.

A friend of mine did it and found it was comparable with the Leaving Cert., and in fact some questions were much easier as they had multiple choices.

I found some sample questions on one of the University websites - I have saved the website somewhere so I'll try and find it for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

Scroll down to the attachments at the very bottom of the page...

http://www.uvm.sk/en/node/1374

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jamesdots

thanks a mill i'm only finishing 5th year 2! although slovakia sounds alot more off putting than Hungary ha although as long as i get in somewhere
    add me on msn <snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

jamesdots, I've removed your personal details from your post so you don't get all manner of spammers emailing you. It helps to use the PM (Private Message) function to contact other members.

Click on the user's name in the thread and private message is the second option down. It'll take you to a new screen to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

Hey Im a student over there now so should be able to help you a bit.

The enterance exam is not too bad, like if your pretty good at biology and chemistry you should be fine. It does go into a bit more detail then LC though...but nothing worth worrying about (I did a year of college in ireland so I had that to help me)

The multiple choice isnt quite as easy as it sounds. I cant remember if we had it for biology but we definately had it for chemistry! I remember it asking questions that LC equations would be used for but the answers would be like .5 / .05 / .005 so If you screw up your calculations anywhere youve got a definate wrong answer ...no attempt marks here! Make sure you bring along a calculater! Under the pressure of a time limit and getting a place in vet college you will feel a bit nervous or panic...but just chill and relax! :)

Best of luck to you both :) Youll LOVE budapest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Hoping to go to Budapest to study Veterinary this coming Sept, one big problem - accommodation! I haven't a clue where to start. Does anyone know good websites to find somewhere to live?! Please pm me details if you do, thanks in advance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 romur84

I am going over to study Dentistry in Semmelweis. I would recommend anywhere in the 6th district. Mail me if you have any questions. There are lots of Irish in Szent, you'll have no trouble settling in!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭HOBO123

im jumping on the band wagon here but i was just wondering what its like over there to study .. i sat my leaving cert this year and if i dont get the points im hoping to go to budapest for veterinary.. can anyone help on what the city is like as in is it safe , is the college nice , what is the course like , college life , accommodation , living in Budapest i.e food etc .. lots of questions but i would like to clear up things so im sure moving abroad is for me :)

Hoping to go to Budapest to study Veterinary this coming Sept, one big problem - accommodation! I haven't a clue where to start. Does anyone know good websites to find somewhere to live?! Please pm me details if you do, thanks in advance :)

Pm'ing you now :)

HOBO123 wrote: »
    im jumping on the band wagon here but i was just wondering what its like over there to study .. i sat my leaving cert this year and if i dont get the points im hoping to go to budapest for veterinary.. can anyone help on what the city is like as in is it safe , is the college nice , what is the course like , college life , accommodation , living in Budapest i.e food etc .. lots of questions but i would like to clear up things so im sure moving abroad is for me :)

Did you find out if you got in yet ??

The city is lovely, have to say I feel much safer walking around there at night then Dublin. Its quite a lively city so there is always people around and its all lit up so you do feel safe. There is 24 hour shops everywhere, the city is always buzzing. The only downside is that there is alot of homeless people, they dont really bother you though. You do just see them asleep on benches at night in the warmer months then they go elsewhere once winter hits.

The college is grand. There is a clinic on site so always sick pets coming and going. Lecture halls are perfect size - not too big not too small. Lectures and Labs teaching hours start from 8.15 and go on till 7pm. Obviously you wont be in that long, but be prepared for a few early starts during the week but your usually finished by about 3-4pm with a few breaks in between.

College life is good, there are sports teams that go around europe and compete in leagues. There are no real clubs or societies in the college which I found strange but it is small enough that everyone knows everyone and you do just organise trips and activities amongst yourselves :)

Accomodation has to be organised by yourself and not the college - if you want some websites to look at just let me know. There should be a few people around on the day of registration looking for room mates so that is always an option. I didnt organise accomodation until I had moved there, a good lot of people in my year had it sorted before they went over though

The food is grand, its a pretty westernised country - not what I was expecting at all! There is a huugeee tescos close by, loads of smaller tesco express's and spars. There is 24 shops everywhere which I find really handy! There is burger kings and 24 hour McDonalds too. Dont be worrying about food though, Its pretty much the same as Ireland. There is also a Lidl over there too. Oh I know tea drinkers usually bring over barrys tea from home though!

If you have any more questions feel free to pm me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Tryst

I'm going to the vet college this september too and I was wondering is it possible to get a job at the on site clinic? Also are there many mature students doing the course? And finally on a completely off topic question but is there a gym on or near the campus? :)

• Advertisement

Tryst wrote: »
    I'm going to the vet college this september too and I was wondering is it possible to get a job at the on site clinic? Also are there many mature students doing the course? And finally on a completely off topic question but is there a gym on or near the campus? :)

There is a small and exotic animal clinic on site. I think from 3rd year its compulsory to do hours there as part of your course work. There is also a large animal clinic close by where you also go for practical expericence. The 1st two years of the course are pretty much all theory based and working with cadavers.

There are a good lot of mature students doing the course. In each year there are usually about 5-10 Irish mature students. But it dosent seem to be an issue, all the irish really get on well with each other and everyone just hangs out with everyone. :)

Oh my god - gyms! There everywhere! Theres a small one on campus as far as I know. But there is usually one on every second street so youll have plently of oppertunity to pick and choose. There is also a football and soccer college team that train and go off around europe to play matches. There was talk of a basketball and volleyball team - not sure if its still happening though as Ive no interest in them so dont really know what they get up to!

ashlingm wrote: »
    There is a small and exotic animal clinic on site. I think from 3rd year its compulsory to do hours there as part of your course work. There is also a large animal clinic close by where you also go for practical expericence. The 1st two years of the course are pretty much all theory based and working with cadavers.

There are a good lot of mature students doing the course. In each year there are usually about 5-10 Irish mature students. But it dosent seem to be an issue, all the irish really get on well with each other and everyone just hangs out with everyone. :)

Oh my god - gyms! There everywhere! Theres a small one on campus as far as I know. But there is usually one on every second street so youll have plently of oppertunity to pick and choose. There is also a football and soccer college team that train and go off around europe to play matches. There was talk of a basketball and volleyball team - not sure if its still happening though as Ive no interest in them so dont really know what they get up to!

Thanks for the info! As I've worked as and studied veterinary medicine as a veterinary nurse here I was curious if I can keep my skills up to scratch with a part time job in their clinic. Guess I will find out when I arrive! :)

I did not want to feel like an old fogey in a sea of young 'uns :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sarahhhhh

Hi guys.
    Is there anyone going to Budapest to study veterinary/medicine in the Szent Istvan Uni this year? I've got my place and I'm going over there this September '11.
    I would love to hear from anyone else thinking about going down the same route :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ezer

im going to budapest this year for veterinary also. i am going over in july to find accomodation.iv been told to look in the 6th and 7th districts to be close to the college. the student housing service are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Omentum

Try and stay away from 7th district if you can. It's pretty grim. Try near octogon it's closer to everything and a better neigbourhood. Budapest is the best decision i've ever made. Study hard from the get go and you'll be able to party hard too. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ezer

oops, iv already rented a flat on same street as university as of last friday. i have three big dogs which complicated things so i couldnt be very fussy. any advice in general? whats the story with buying books, a guy that graduated last year told me not to bother buying just photocopy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ambergambler

Yeah, defo no need to buy any books. Not yet anyhoo.. Much of what you need you can get copies of, or get in the library. Make sure you're back amongst things in time for the boat trip. I almost didn't bother with it last year, would have been devied to miss it, in hindsight! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mae71

Hey ezer, Im hoping to start in Budapest next year, and I was also wondering how things would work with bringing my dog considering the long hours I anticipate having to stay in the library and all, was it difficult to find somewhere to live that would allow dogs? Do you have an enclosed space for them outdoors like a graden or something, I really don't want to have to leave my pooch behind if I get accepted...... :(

Hey mae,

most accomodation are aparments in the city so no outdoor gardens for the dog. Most people I know who do have dogs keep them indoors and walk them a lot which can be a welcome break from the books. The dogs seem to be happy enough as long as they are frequently walked.

On a side note I lived in district 7 all last year and found it a fine area to live in but the rent in that area is more expensive than in others I found. If anyone has an questions feel free to pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bg397

hey im a student in the university and have a three bedroom apartment. there are two people in it but one room is free. anyone who is interested in renting a room please conyact me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 budavet2010

Hi all,
    I graduated from Budapest last year and my lovlely 3 bedroom apartment is lying empty. It's a great apt, great building and in a brilliant location in the centre of Budapest, but only a 10 minute walk to szie uni.
    Anyone interested please let me know, can email pictures and details and can arrange to view in bp next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 user1989

Hi, could anyone tell me how to apply for veterinary in Budapest? Is it an exam? how hard is the exam? Are points considered? How competitive is it to get in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Quest1

Hi, I am hoping to sit the entrance exam next May in Dublin. Is anyone out there planning on doing it? or has already done it? How bad is it and whats the oral exam like?

Im 27 and have wanted to do veterinary for years and have just decided that i should go for it. Im going to enroll in Biology and chemistry classes for the year previous but im not sure of thats enough to cover the entrance exam?

Any advice or tips would be greaty appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 EibhlisS

Hi, I'm planning on sitting the entrance exam next May. and was wondering if anyone has any tips about it? Is it hard? I'm doing biology and Chemistry for my leaving. Also I have no idea about fees and accommodation, how much would it cost per year for living and tuition and everything?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Eibhlis,

I am also taking the entrance exam in May. Im 27 so im doing grinds in Chem and Biology to prepare but i think the content is similar to the Leaving cert so should be good. Fees are €10800 per year and renting costs start at about €250 per month. You should look up the college website for all the info you need in relation to applying. They are below:

www.studyhungary.hu/
    www.univet.hu/english/education/0910/respermit09.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nmamaliger

Hello!

Sorry if this seems random, but I am attending Szent Istvan University this coming February, I happened to find this thread while looking for help with accommodation, I'm a little nervous about looking for it. I am a US student that is transferring to Szent Istvan Vet and because I have previously taken some of the classes offered in the Sept semester, the university has offered me a February start. This sort of puts me in a weird position because of the late start, but I would like to find a room mate that can help me get around the city and the school.
    I was wondering if you know about where I can find help to find a February room mate? Is there anywhere I can post?

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help!

Hello!

Lucky you starting in February - thats great! Im not too sure about accomodation but I do know the college offer a housing service so they could help you find exactly what you are looking for so perhaps if you contact them.
    I imagine as soon as you make a few friends you will probably be able to switch you arrangements to suit you anyway.

Congratultions and best of luck! I hope to see you next year!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Nolimits12

How do you apply for the entrance exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Gurdy

Nolimits12 wrote: »
    How do you apply for the entrance exams?

Hi Nolimits12,

There's an agent in Cork who you can use to help you apply, and he'll tell you when and where the exam is.

His name is Tim O'Leary and his phone number is 028-28197. He helped me with my application (I'm studying Medicine in southern Hungary now), so I don't know how the University contact you about the exam, but I'm sure they'll let you know.

Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

hey guys,
    just curious,
    Is the budapest vet degree transferable around the world?
    Just curious as i know last year 80% of UCD vet grads could not get any work in ireland but they are able to work in australia,new zealand,USA.
    Just curious if people here dont find work after graduating what happens?
    Im guessing the medics in hungary have no problems with this,lucky f******:D
    Thanks

Advertisement