Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lavatube

• 30-11-2011 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

I see that Irish Vapers are taking orders for the Lavatube. Good to see an Irish supplier getting hold of this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Good to see that.
    Pity its 30 dec for expected delivery, 'cos for the 63E with batts and charger it not much more than an ego kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Bubba9

The specs seem to be copied from Provari's e.g.:

"If the activation button is held down for 10 seconds or longer, the ProVari will shut itself off until the button is released."

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

I received my Lavatube today and it's a top piece of kit, at the prices they're being sold at you can't go wrong. It's nicely made and the throat hit/vapour is frightening.

It's makes an ego with an LR atty feel like a 510 with a knackered battery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

mrplop wrote: »

It's makes an ego with an LR atty feel like a 510 with a knackered battery.

*bounce* *bounce* *bounce*

pretty much what I wanted from it.. hurry the hell up 2smok!

Got mine today too. It won't win any prizes for design and probably won't stand up to rough treatment but it's good value for variable voltage. Well pleased with it.

• Advertisement

in one of the intro videos for it the guy said he was trying to find ways to break it, to see how sturdy it was and he hadn't succeeded

during the video he just flings it up into the air over his shoulder and lets it crash on the ground, then picks it up and vapes

tbh, there's not many electronic devices these days that could survive that :)

The body itself looks sturdy enough. I'd be more concerned about the spring and the buttons. Have you a link to that video?

Don't know why everyone is going on about the spring - unless you're going to hang a ten pound weight off it, it's not a problem and it never will be.
    Okay, the screen isn't made from diamond and the buttons aren't hand cut from unicorn horn like they are on the Provari.
    It costs less than an ego set so it's not a problem.
    It's very sturdy and not in the least bit shoddy, as far as performance is concerned - it's only .25 of a volt lower than the Provari at it's highest setting.
    Vaping at 6 volts tastes pretty nasty anyway...

At the end of the day this performs every bit as well as the Provari - they're both just batteries with voltage regulators after all.

Most of the people that slag this device off are ProVari owners and I can only attribute that to snobbery or buyers remorse.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sparkemo

I was wondering how others are getting on with their Lavatube.
    Have mine about 3 weeks now and have very mixed feelings on it.
    I really wanted this to be my main device, Like the build etc. and variable voltage (issues here).
    I've changed to standard Boge cartos (chibi tanks arivved this morning :)) as dual coils are a non runner with the lavatube.
    Lavatube says it has 2.5 amp load but the max voltage I can set with a standard 3 ohm boge is 4.7-4.8 volts and with a 2.7 ohm carto is 4.2-4.3 volts. The sums don't add up,( Ohm's law V/I=R).
    This is well below 2.5 amps.:mad:
    I have measured the cartos resistance with my multimeter to be sure.
    I find about 4.5 v to be my sweetspot.
    I have tried the same cartos on my box mod (3 amp max) and have the full voltage range.
    Is there something I'm missing about the Lavatube or are the specs wrong ?
    Also if I set the voltage too high it just shuts off, it doesn't default to a safe setting as it says and I have to remove the battery to reset it :mad:.
    Anyone else having these issues ?

• Advertisement

fraid i cant help you with any of that.. dont know a damn thing about the magic we call electricity

the lavatube shutting off after you set the voltage too high just sounds wrong though.. you may have got a defective unit?
    post on the official lavatube forums, or email the vendor you bought it from as that *never* happens to me

Have been googling a bit more about it and it's a possibility that the battery Im using is protected and the battery is cutting out at lower amps, not the lavatube.
    Will have to get proper IMR high drain battery to check.

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/ have them cheap enough. postage only takes a few days too

Thanks for the link Sir DCC.
    Hope to get it next week.

Not sure if this is useful but at least it's unique and some of the comments might be helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19RD-YfbJ0U

I inquired about a different version not made by L-Rider and was sent some photos from China. I think the Chinese vendor will have problems with customs in all the various territories if they use the name on the customs form -it's called the Superbomb!

Get a load of this; The OLED screen displays date and time, the amount of puffs you've had, the battery level and when you switch it off it says 'goodbye my master'.

Seriously.

They wanted $100 for a sample so I'm giving it a miss.

Not seen big pictures of this device anywhere and these are okay sized - where's the main button?

th_variablevoltage.jpg
    th_superbomb.jpg
    th_sparts.jpg
    th_charger.jpg
    th_body.jpg
    th_bodyandatomizer.jpg
    th_batteryandtube.jpg
    th_batterandbatterytube.jpg
    th_900mAhbattery.jpg

goodbye my master, lol

Lavatube is OK.
    It turns out the batteries I was using were at fault alright.
    Cheap ebay batteries are exactly that (cheap ****ty ebay batteries)
    You get what you pay for I suppose.
    All is well again :).

excellent. the 'tubes a great piece of kit, glad to hear yours wasnt faulty

Yes, they are excellent now that I have the full voltage range.
    It's nice to be able to adjust the hit from it according to my mood.:eek:

• Advertisement

yeah, though i've yet to find a carto or juice that tastes great at 6v. I tend to stay between4.4 and 5, generally 5 for my tobaccos and the fruity juices somewhere in the 4's

Yes, I agree.
    5.0 volts would be my max as well but the crappy battery was cutting out at 4.4 most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

I have a lava tube with the batteries that came with it. Could anybody recommend replace ments for them the ones I have don't seem to be working great.

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/batteries/aw-imr18650.html

they are the ones that were originally meant to come with the lavatube
    safer chemistry than standard li-ion batteries, so if they do develop a fault they are far less likely to go on fire or explode and take your hand off

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/batteries/aw-imr18650.html

they are the ones that were originally meant to come with the lavatube
    safer chemistry than standard li-ion batteries, so if they do develop a fault they are far less likely to go on fire or explode and take your hand off
    They look identical to ones I was supplied with down to position of AW sticker. Is there any way of telling if they ARE any better than the ones I have?

the fake ones have a flat top and the real ones have a little nipple on one end

Have heard good things about the panasonic cgr18650ch batteries (8 dollars each from the US).
    I got fed up waiting for mine to be delivered ( according to usps tracking no. my parcel has been getting a suntan in Miami for the past 3 weeks).

I took apart an old laptop battery (very carefully) last week and to my suprise all six batteries inside (samsung icr18650 2200mah) were good.
    I have been testing them all week and they all hold their charger extremely well.
    They are perfect for my Lavatube , I get almost 2 full days vaping from one charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

mrplop wrote: »
    th_variablevoltage.jpg
    th_superbomb.jpg
    th_sparts.jpg
    th_charger.jpg
    th_body.jpg
    th_bodyandatomizer.jpg
    th_batteryandtube.jpg
    th_batterandbatterytube.jpg
    th_900mAhbattery.jpg

Supposed to be in stock soon from this vendor...
    the HOWITZER VV Mod
    http://www.safercigs.co.uk/the_HOWITZER_VV_Mod/cat705284_1140657.aspx#

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

the fake ones have a flat top and the real ones have a little nipple on one end

Are the ones on the IrishVapers site fake then? I was just about to buy some etc.

• Advertisement

well no, they're not fake in that they're not aw branded batteries but they are lithium ion batteries rather than the aw IMR batteries with the safer chemistry which the lavatubes were originally supposed to be shipped with.

dunno if IV's batts are protected or not actually

Advertisement