Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best method to help define natural abs?

• 14-01-2012 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a genetic condition which means that all my skeletal muscles are naturally toned always (sounds better than it actually is and there are major disadvantages to the condition). I have never been to a gym in my life. I have never worked out and no longer play any sports or exercise (although I did play soccer years ago but not competitively). I don't take (and never have) any type of muscle enhancement drugs like steroids etc. I eat a fairly healthy diet but my problem is putting on weight/mass.

I simply want to better define the abs I have and also to bulk up more. I was wondering what people thought of that Ab King Pro and/or whether it's worth the money?

Also, I'd like to know where I can get a complete analysis of my body measurements like body-fat ratio, muscle analysis etc?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rparker

Hi there,
    This is the first time I've heard of your condition. Whats it called?

With regards to getting your abs more defined, why not try some of the classic abs routines (Sit-ups, Hanging leg raises etc). Also, if you want your abs to be highly visible you'll have to get your body fat numbers down so that the muscles are viewable through the skin.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ivorystraws

rparker wrote: »
    Hi there,
    This is the first time I've heard of your condition. Whats it called?

With regards to getting your abs more defined, why not try some of the classic abs routines (Sit-ups, Hanging leg raises etc). Also, if you want your abs to be highly visible you'll have to get your body fat numbers down so that the muscles are viewable through the skin.

Cheers.

It's the first time most people will have heard of such a condition as, depending on the type people have, it's quite rare (I've read stats that maybe 1 in 100,000 people have it but it's apparently more common in Scandinavia). It's called "Myotonia Congenita" but I have quite a mild form of it plus mine is not degenerative.

Yea, I could try those ab routines but since I've never done them before, how would I know if I'm doing them properly i.e. that's why I asked about the Ab King Pro or similar and whether they're any good?

Also, I have very little if any fat. I can essentially eat what I want although I do eat quite healthy. Bear in mind that all my skeletal muscles are expanding and contracting 24 hours a day, 365 days a year so toning or fat is definitely not an issue and never has been. My weight hasn't fluctuated by more than a half stone since college so my only problem with weight is maintaining ad increasing it.

More famous people who have "reportedly" been diagnosed with the same condition include Ricky Hatton (two-time IBF and IBO light welterweight champion) and Art Hafey (rated the #1 rated featherweight in the world in September 1976 after knocking out Mexico’s greatest prizefighter but he never got his shot at the title). That's really all I've found online who share the same condition as me.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

as said above, you probably just need to lose some body fat. i think most people would suggest that the way to get visible abs is through your diet and not through the 'ab king pro' whatever gimmick that is.

as said above, you probably just need to lose some body fat. i think most people would suggest that the way to get visible abs is through your diet and not through the 'ab king pro' whatever gimmick that is.

As I've already said, I have little or no fat to loose and the abs are already visible so how can I loose fat which I don't have? All I want to do is define my abs better i.e. I have abs but they don't look as shaped as those cliche magazine covers (which is ideally what I'd like).

I'd also like to know where I can get a complete analysis of my body measurements like body-fat ratio, muscle analysis etc (in Dublin)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Well the magazine covers are a combination of low body fat and good lighting.

Do you know what your body fat is? Most people do underestimate it, I'm not suggesting you are but it is possible. If you post pictures people might be able to give an estimate or your local gym might have a facility to measure it (although it'll still be an approximation).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Everyone has naturally toned muscles, most people have fat covering those muscles so they dont appear as visible. According to wikipedia your condition causes your muscles to be tenser (sp?) for a short while after being used. This does not mean you will always be ripped.

IMO what you need is to start working out properly and watching your diet. Cos no matter what you say if you cant see your muscles, you have bodyfat, but theres always the problem that you just have little muscle to show off.

A condition which leaves you naturally toned would be one which means you cant or find it hard to have bodyfat.

Seachmall wrote: »

Do you know what your body fat is? Most people do underestimate it, I'm not suggesting you are but it is possible. If you post pictures people might be able to give an estimate or your local gym might have a facility to measure it (although it'll still be an approximation).

True magazine covers are a combination of low body fat, good lighting and some expert photoshop image editing but I'm trying to clarify what I'm looking for.

No, I don't have a clue what my body fat percentage is although I do have a body fat estimation which I got from a machine in a pharmacists so it's accuracy is doubtful:
    Fat Index: 18.1%
    Fat Mass: 1st 12.2 lb - 11.9kg
    Free Fat Mass: 8st 7.7lb - 54.3kg

Is the gym is the best place to go to get all the relevant body measurements?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭marathonic

Seachmall wrote: »

True magazine covers are a combination of low body fat, good lighting and some expert photoshop image editing but I'm trying to clarify what I'm looking for.

No, I don't have a clue what my body fat percentage is although I do have a body fat estimation which I got from a machine in a pharmacists so it's accuracy is doubtful:

you could get a set of accumeasure calipers from Amazon or another website and measure your own bodyfat - much more accurate and no need to pay everytime you want to check your progress....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It's been said a few times now. If your abs aren't well defined it's because they are covered by fat. It could be a small amount, but it's still the case.

Eat clean and actually do some training if you want decent abs.

Some gyms will do you bf% properly with calipers, most won't. Regardless of what the number is, it needs to be lower than it is now for you to see a six pack.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

cc87 wrote: »
    Everyone has naturally toned muscles, most people have fat covering those muscles so they dont appear as visible. According to wikipedia your condition causes your muscles to be tenser (sp?) for a short while after being used. This does not mean you will always be ripped.

IMO what you need is to start working out properly and watching your diet. Cos no matter what you say if you cant see your muscles, you have bodyfat, but theres always the problem that you just have little muscle to show off.

A condition which leaves you naturally toned would be one which means you cant or find it hard to have bodyfat.

Yes, I agree that most people have some toned muscles and usually there are fat covering there muscles. However, not everyone can eat whatever they want and not put on any weight. Not everyone has completely toned skeletal muscle without doing any exercise or training whatsoever. My muscles are slow to relax after periods of rest and they tense quite often (depending on what I'm doing). They are contracting and relaxing constantly but that's not noticeable to me.

Yea I agree that diet and training will benefit me but that's exactly what I'm asking - what type of training would best suit me specifically to better define my abs etc? I've already detailed that my abs are already clearly visible so there's no bodyfat covering them i.e. bodyfat is not the problem here. I'm only asking about better defining what's already there and clearly visible?

You mention that theres always the problem that I just have little muscle to show off - I think you're partly correct here in the sense that although I definitely do have muscle and it's easily visible, I'm probably not eating enough or correctly in order to keep that muscle.

You've nailed it with this statement "A condition which leaves you naturally toned would be one which means you cant or find it hard to have bodyfat". This is the reason why I would like to get myself accurately measured.

• Advertisement

marathonic wrote: »
    you could get a set of accumeasure calipers from Amazon or another website and measure your own bodyfat - much more accurate and no need to pay everytime you want to check your progress....

True, if this is the most accurate way, then I'll do that and continue to monitor my progress. Thanks.

It's been said a few times now. If your abs aren't well defined it's because they are covered by fat. It could be a small amount, but it's still the case.

Eat clean and actually do some training if you want decent abs.

Some gyms will do you bf% properly with calipers, most won't. Regardless of what the number is, it needs to be lower than it is now for you to see a six pack.

I know what's been said but I think people are misinterpreting what I have and what I want. My stomach muscles are toned and clearly visible. However, since they developed naturally it's as if two of them have joined together so they look kinda crooked and to count my abs you'd only count 5... sounds weird I know and I'm probably not explaining myself clearly maybe.

Yes, diet and training would help but I'm asking for specific training regimes for me... there's lots of results for six pack abs on google, youtube etc but what do I trust for proven results?

I've seen one of those daily deals for educo gyms at 29 euro for a mini-consultation 3 personal training sessions and a follow-up consultation and nutrition plan but I read another thread on this forum about educo gyms and it definitely wasn't positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

However, since they developed naturally it's as if two of them have joined together so they look kinda crooked and to count my abs you'd only count 5... sounds weird I know and I'm probably not explaining myself clearly maybe.
    Developed naturally, as opposed to what? Grown in a petri dish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Heres one of the many similar threads to yours, just this one has a few good points in it

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056059912

• Registered Users Posts: 39,000 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

However, since they developed naturally it's as if two of them have joined together so they look kinda crooked and to count my abs you'd only count 5... sounds weird I know and I'm probably not explaining myself clearly maybe.

People don't have multiple abs, its one muscle. The appearance of 6 (or even 8) abs is due to fibrus intersections on the muscle. If you are missing one, then there is little you can go to grow one.
    What is far more likely is that you just cant see it. if you are around 18% body fat (posted above) you jsut need to shed some fat through diet.

Developed naturally, as opposed to what? Grown in a petri dish?

No as opposed to training or poppin body enhancement drugs... which I've already mentioned before

Mellor wrote: »
    People don't have multiple abs, its one muscle. The appearance of 6 (or even 8) abs is due to fibrus intersections on the muscle. If you are missing one, then there is little you can go to grow one.
    What is far more likely is that you just cant see it. if you are around 18% body fat (posted above) you jsut need to shed some fat through diet.

Thanks for that comment and yes, you're right. It is down to that fibrus intersections on the muscle. It may be that I'm missing one but it's very obvious that from looking at them, one of them is much larger than the others.... so essentially, I just want to reshape them or define their outline better.

Those body measurements were taken from a machine in a pharmacy that costs 2 euro so although it measured weight, height, blood pressure, heart rate analysis, given that I input my gender and age, I don't know how it calculated the body fat index, fat mass and free fat mass or what they even mean!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭Thud

some people have mis shaped abs genetically, there's not much you can do about it, this may be your problem.

As for ab workouts sit ups, leg lifts, the plank, ab rollers etc all work

Thud wrote: »
    some people have mis shaped abs genetically, there's not much you can do about it, this may be your problem.

As for ab workouts sit ups, leg lifts, the plank, ab rollers etc all work

Oh maybe. So I can't effectively reshape the abs that I have through any of those training routines?

Thanks for mentioning all those workout routines that work. I appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Symptoms include hypertrophy?

Best. Disability. Ever.

• Advertisement

kevpants wrote: »
    Symptoms include hypertrophy?

Best. Disability. Ever.

Yes the symptoms do include hypertrophy and yes, there are obvious advantages to having such a genetic condition but there are major disadvantages also. I have a very mild version as I have communicated with people (online) in UK, US and Slovenia who also have it but their symptoms seemed to be much more severe than mine.

Exercise and cold temperature make it worse and the only thing I've found that helps is alcohol as it helps relax all my muscles. Heat also helps ease my muscle pain.

I've only recently (in the last year) been open about the condition as people who know me and have asked me how I look the way I do without a proper diet, without training and/or proper exercise would obviously be skeptical when I maintain (truthfully) that it's natural, I'm not taking any type of muscle enhancement drugs and that I've never been to a gym in my life etc.

That's why when I hear about reports of those two boxers (whom I mentioned earlier) were also diagnosed with the same condition, I find it hard to believe how they got so far and did so well with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

You've mentioned steroids now many times. The inference I'm drawing is that you look like you must be on steroids you're in such amazing shape ?? What height and weight are you as a matter of interest ??

Have you had medical advice as to whether doing weights or working on your muscles might adversely affect your condition ? Might be worth considering. Best of luck with it anyway.

Advertisement