Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE ads from the 80s...

• 19-02-2006 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Hey all! Would any of you guys know where I could get my grubby little mits on some old RTE tv ads from the 80s?? Is there anywhere on the net even?? Theres so many ads from the 80s I can remember, I'd love to see them again for a laugh/bit of nostalgia!!:) Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

:rolleyes: ???

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Do you mean the public safety adverts like the ones about not climbing electricity pylons or flying kites near overhead lines. They also had ones about kids drowning and about not eating less than an hour before swimming.
    Does anyone remember "Where's grandad?" where an unfortunate elderly gentleman falls off his chair into a river and drowns.

And the worst one of all which still haunts me to this day was the fire safety one where the married couple are in bed and the wife asks the husband did you put the cat out? So he goes downstairs to check only to find that the television (which he had left plugged in) was faulty and had started a fire and he manages to put it out in the nick of time. That freaked me out completely and ever since I have always pluged out all electrical apliances before retiring for the night.

So yeah for me "Wheres Grandad?" and "Did you put the cat out?" are two defining rte adverts in the 80's. I think they were made by the national safety council.

Shít! Youve just reminded me of the 'did you put the cat out?' ad there! I used to run of the sitting room...the camera would then focus on the sofa catching fire. Aw, creepy! Thanx for bringing back bad memories!:D Some other ads wouldve been the Guinness ad with the surfer guy, or The Harp ad where the locals are drinking in a tavern and the vikings invade! Another freaky ad was an ad for Trocáire which showed a burning red candle in a dark room and all that you could hear in the background was swirling wind. Theres loads! Or the Mr.Proper ad...'Harry dont! The floors still wet!' 'No, its dry I washed it hours ago!' 'That shine made me think it was wet' 'Thats the shine you get with Mr.Proper!' Ah, youve got me started now!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rubberneck

.. the ad for pregnant women to be vaccinated against mumps and the shots of the deformed kids, the nun shouting ‘ba..ba’! into the deaf kids ear and the guy with dodgy hearing, listening (with muffled dialogue) to the stand up on stage..this ad absolutely freaked me out!

The ‘wheres grandad’ ad was another..the mum on the phone who looks out the window and sees her kids legs hanging out of the paddling pool..!! the little kid brian who goes missing and then they cut to a barrel of water with a big splash mark on the wall!

I have a few videos at home in Ireland with stuff taped back in ‘86/87 which I throw on now and again for a blast from the past!
    Remember the AAA Golden Maverick /Clint Eastwood ad with the whistling intro? Ronny Drew and the ‘ah..that’s bass!”..

I even have the 3D movies from Halloween ‘88 and the glasses still intact..
    Inferno, The Mad Magician and a 3 stooges in 3D!
    :rolleyes:

Excellent!!! When you get back to Ireland maybe I could rob a video or two of you?? I love all that Retro stuff...I remember that Golden Maverick ad very well!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭brian crackout

rubberneck wrote:
    .. the ad for pregnant women to be vaccinated against mumps and the shots of the deformed kids, the nun shouting ‘ba..ba’! into the deaf kids ear and the guy with dodgy hearing, listening (with muffled dialogue) to the stand up on stage..this ad absolutely freaked me out!

The ‘wheres grandad’ ad was another..the mum on the phone who looks out the window and sees her kids legs hanging out of the paddling pool..!! the little kid brian who goes missing and then they cut to a barrel of water with a big splash mark on the wall!

I have a few videos at home in Ireland with stuff taped back in ‘86/87 which I throw on now and again for a blast from the past!
    Remember the AAA Golden Maverick /Clint Eastwood ad with the whistling intro? Ronny Drew and the ‘ah..that’s bass!”..

I even have the 3D movies from Halloween ‘88 and the glasses still intact..
    Inferno, The Mad Magician and a 3 stooges in 3D!
    :rolleyes:

I remember that halloween 3D thing that RTE had. god i mustve been only about 6 but I Remember it. wasnt there a cowboy one in the desert? as for those old ads - any chance you could put what ever you have onto one video whenever your back in the country- id pay good money for it... get in touch if your interested...

I remember that halloween 3D thing that RTE had. god i mustve been only about 6 but I Remember it. wasnt there a cowboy one in the desert? as for those old ads - any chance you could put what ever you have onto one video whenever your back in the country- id pay good money for it... get in touch if your interested...

Same here! I wonder if anyone has the old Guinness ad with the ridiculous wah-wah solo with the dude on a surf board...as celebrated in 'Delirium Tremens' by Christy moore!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Gosh I could go on all day and all night about ads I liked,hated and was terrified of in the 80's.....

"TV spongers beware,the squeeze is on!!"

"....and Sally O'Brien and the way she might look at you,and then a pint of Harp".

"Most people enjoy an occasional gamble.But today,the stakes are too high,because you're gambling with AIDS".

The Coke vs Pepsi challenges.

I really really really wish RTE would release a DVD with all these ads.They can do it with Reelin In The Years,so why can't they make one of old TV commercials?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

RTE probably don't hold the rights to the ads.I'd love to see those public safety ads again especially "where's grandad?" but I think the HSE has the rights to them.I wouldent hold my breath about the possability of them being released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jake 74

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jake 74

this one has to be my fav
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTczq_S4dEM
    murphys ad from 1990's

jake 74 wrote: »

"Well the money is good and the suntan is free.You could fry an egg on the stones here-if you had an egg.
    And you could certainly sink the pint of Harp.

If you had the pint of Harp".

Don't know if anyone remembers this ad that was on in the late 70's ,I'm not sure what it was for but it might have been a bank or building society.It showed people going about their daily business and things belonging to them suddenly disappearing.There was a farmer in a field and one of his wellingtons disappears making him fall into the mud.A bunch of womens clothes disappear leaving them in their underwear and I think as well the wheel disappears from a car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

thejuggler wrote: »
    Do you mean the public safety adverts like the ones about not climbing electricity pylons or flying kites near overhead lines. They also had ones about kids drowning and about not eating less than an hour before swimming.
    Does anyone remember "Where's grandad?" where an unfortunate elderly gentleman falls off his chair into a river and drowns.

And the worst one of all which still haunts me to this day was the fire safety one where the married couple are in bed and the wife asks the husband did you put the cat out? So he goes downstairs to check only to find that the television (which he had left plugged in) was faulty and had started a fire and he manages to put it out in the nick of time. That freaked me out completely and ever since I have always pluged out all electrical apliances before retiring for the night.

So yeah for me "Wheres Grandad?" and "Did you put the cat out?" are two defining rte adverts in the 80's. I think they were made by the national safety council.

This wasnt irish but creepy anyway

• when i was a little girl i remember an Advert about keeping dogs under control, it was a animated Ad with a dog who, when his owners let him out met up with otjer dogs and they went and attacked and killed sheep! does anyone remember it?

Also i remember adverts that warned kids about strangers, "say no to strangers" add, i think it was on english television though, scary stuff. they really should still show these adverts I think. I also remember an advert on RTE warning about the dangers of unprotected sex around the start of the AIDS epidemic

when i was a little girl i remember an Advert about keeping dogs under control, it was a animated Ad with a dog who, when his owners let him out met up with otjer dogs and they went and attacked and killed sheep! does anyone remember it?

Also i remember adverts that warned kids about strangers, "say no to strangers" add, i think it was on english television though, scary stuff. they really should still show these adverts I think. I also remember an advert on RTE warning about the dangers of unprotected sex around the start of the AIDS epidemic

"Bonzo wants to go out,dear.
    OK,come on,good dog..........................
    KEEP YOUR DOG UNDER CONTROL-RUNNING FREE HE CAN BE A KILLER!"

"......just one act of intercourse may give you AIDS-and lead to DEATH.Sleeping around is a gamble.
    CASUAL SEX SPREADS AIDS!!!!"

I think there were Punch and Judy ads for the say no to strangers campaign also...

I also remember an advert on RTE warning about the dangers of unprotected sex around the start of the AIDS epidemic

You can actually get that ad on either youtube.com or vuclip.com.I don't have a direct link,but type "Casual sex spreads AIDS,Ireland 1987" or something like that into the search bar,and you should find it.But be warned-tis very chilling and scary!! It used to terrify me when I was younger-the scary music,the scary voice,and the fact that I was too young to understand it all back then,but still knew something terrible was happening(and still is).

You may also find the British "don't die of ignorance" PSAs,which were even scarier again.

Believe it or not-I think these ads should come back,along with many others.

That dog ad is embedded in me brain for 2 days,I remember it so well-I used to be really scared of it.So I'm gonna write it down(sorry for boring ye all)

"Bonzo wants to go out,dear". "Good dog,come on..."
    Bonzo is let out and sits outside the door scared and lonely,then he runs away and meets up with a pack of other dogs who've also been let out,they all run in a pack and their happy faces change to vicious bloodthirsty ones,in a wolf-like pack they surround sheep in a field,teeth stripped and snarling they attack and kill all the sheep.Bonzo returns home and when he's let back into the house,a voice says "where were you all night,you bold dog" and then the closing line: "Keep your dog under control-running free,he can be a KILLER".As the word "killer" is said,a close up of Bonzo's face turns around to the camera and blood can be seen around his mouth.

I'd love to see this ad again.They should bring it back anyway for the same reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I went searching for that dog ad,no good but came across these clips on YouTube,Good old Maurice Pratt.he was never off the TV in the 80s :)

And here is a few ads from 1984

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

• Advertisement

I went searching for that dog ad,no good but came across these clips on YouTube,Good old Maurice Pratt.he was never off the TV in the 80s.

And here is a few ads from 1984

Me bloody phone still won't play youtube videos...
    :-S
    Maurice Pratt-was he the fella who advertised for Super-Quinn or Super-Valu??

Can you tell me which 1984 ads you posted,just so that I can try and get them on vuclip later.Thanks.

Seasan wrote: »
    Me bloody phone still won't play youtube videos...
    :-S
    Maurice Pratt-was he the fella who advertised for Super-Quinn or Super-Valu??

Can you tell me which 1984 ads you posted,just so that I can try and get them on vuclip later.Thanks.

I just typed in RTE ads 1980s into Youtube and a good few videos came up

RTE commercial ad break in 1984
    RTE ad break February 1984 part 2

I just typed in RTE ads 1980s into Youtube and a good few videos came up

RTE commercial ad break in 1984
    RTE ad break February 1984 part 2
    Great stuff,Kerrydude.Plenty of nice,nostalgic surprises in there!

Who remembers these:
    "Is Trevor ever getting up?Never in a month of sundays!"

"Stag,Stag,right for enjoyment!"

"We now know who killed Madame Doyle.Mes amis,it was.......Youll never know when the nibbles will strike:-)"

"If theres one great thing that no-one can deny,if theres one great day,if theres one great pint...."

"Start the day the flahavans way,the natural way to start the day,the fibre-fit way that makes the day......"

Dont forget this ad for Harp and Sally O Brien and the way she might look at ya :)

".....you could fry eggs on the stones here-if you had eggs here.And you could certainly sink a pint of harp.
    If you had a pint of harp".

And..........

"Hey....Stupid....leave that phone alone!! (geldof)Phonewreckers are IDIOTS!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

remembers the Calvita cheese adverts featuring a puppet called Tastie Nastie )) ?

remembers the Calvita cheese adverts featuring a puppet called Tastie Nastie )) ?
    I posted a thread about that a couple of weeks ago."Pickled icecream".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Do ye get Youtube in Dublin yet.

• Advertisement

darkdubh wrote: »
    I posted a thread about that a couple of weeks ago."Pickled icecream".

And "shoe-polish on toast"!! :-)

And then wasn't he sent to the dungeons as punishment,and then he became a nice guy,and won an award?? :-):-)

Advertisement