Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The CIMA Thread

• 16-09-2011 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Hi folks, well as we can all see the same questions keep popping up in various new threads asking similar question about accountancy as a career, entry points, job prospects, exemptions, study guides, CPD and texts just to name a few.

So this thread is hopefully going to be the one stop CIMA answer shop. A place for all CIMA students, Qualified Management Accountants and potential students to discuss their thoughts and have their questions answered.

So please participate !
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Good idea. Every now and again I visit this forum just to look for CIMA threads, it seems ACCA is the more popular choice and so has more threads on it.

Anyone sitting exams in November? I'm sitting P3 again, not my favourite subject it has to be said

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭daheff

Finished Topcima in march - have my PER signed off and now just waiting on CIMA to review/ approve.

also if anybody needs any books...PM and i'll see if i have any lying around

for those doing TOPCIMA, I found this (http://case.accountancystudy.co.uk/)forum extremely helpful

**Mods if any of this is deemed inappropriate please feel free to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Shannonsider

Any CIMA qualified's on here who are members in practice? Or any CIMA qualified's who do business consultancy or book keeping on the side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Havent a Saloman Kalou

Hi guys,

Im a 35 year old builder and thinking of a career change. I already have a degree in construction mgnt and was thinking of doing the CIMA exams. I think its time for a career change and this looks like one of my main options. Any thoughts or opinions or well any help.
    How hard is it? i know ,how long is a piece of string?
    What stage do you have to get experience?
    Whats the money like to start off?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 julianne2009

Hi there,
    I'm thinking of starting to study for the CIMA qualification & would appreciate any advice.
    I think I qualify for exemptions in all certificate exams due to my Degree (UCC BComm & French) and also for F1. I was thinking of studying E1 & P1 in 2012. I'm located in Cork & can't seem to find any courses.
    Would it be a good idea to learn by distance with BPP? Also how long does it take to study for each subject and when are exams held?

Thanks a mill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Hi exams are held in May and November. How long it would take to study for them is really down to what you want to get out of the exams, just pass or do well.

Does your construction management degree get you any exemptions? I had exemptions but decided to do the certificate anyway to refresh my exams, you can take these by computer every month.

Thanks for the reply Kilburn, i was starting to give up on this thread.

I don't get any exemptions but don't want them really. I'm not afraid of the work i have to put in. The only issue i have now is why CIMA. Is it looked down in compared to aca etc.

Going to start next week with the online study packs, starting with the maths as its my best subject.

CIMA qualification is very highly thought of in industry so if that is where you want to work, it is fine. Anyway all the professional qualifications are pretty much similar with a few differences.

Take one subject a month if you can, try to do a computer based exam every month and have all five certificates exams done by the end of january so you can sit professional exams in may

Anyone got any books for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jamescork

did any one do exams this wk? did p1 and e1. found them ok...i think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 exd

I've got some books for sale for the CIMA Certificate in Business Accounting:Brand New (never taken out of box).

C03 Fundamentals of Business Mathematics
    C04 Fundamentals of Business Economics
    Plus the exam practice kits & revision cards for each module.

Price: €80

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭grange mac

Hi Lads,

I'm doing top cima (again as last wk just didnt work out for me), am sure could root my strategic level books if any of ye needed them for a nominal fee!!:D

Ill give you €50 for them exd . Are you in Dublin by any chance

CIMA Certificate in Business Accounting Pack for sale

C05 Fundamentals of Ethics, Corporate Governance and Business Law
    Text book, Exam practice kit and revision cards. Valued at 68 euro will sell for 40 only 3 weeks old.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭eire2009

I can provide most easily, pm me and ill have them to you in a jiffy notes included it will make you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭julyjane

Has anyone had their PER assessed recently or currently going through it? I have passed all strategic exams and I have no notion of doing Topcima until I know my PER is approved. AFAIK if I pass the exam I have to have the PER done within 4 years. I have years experience doing the basic work, it is only now that I am working in a management accounting role that will meet the conditions of the "core" part of the practical experience.

I read through how to do it on CIMAs website but I am still unsure where to start. It says you need a proposer and a seconder, do these have to be employers who can certify that you did what you did in work or can they be any CIMA members? My 2 previous bosses were ACA and CPA. Where I work now my immediate manager is ACCA.

I am also only on a 6 month contract now so should I be getting my boss to certify my experience before I leave, and should I go back to my previous employer (from years ago as I've been unemployed for a while) to get them to do the same?

Hi I sat top cima in nov & failed but goin to start at it again when pre seen comes out in two weeks. Out of the class in dublin BPP OF 30, 4 had done it, all 4 passed it. they done it though interview wheich happens once a year in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭julyjane

Thanks, that's good to know they all passed the interview. However I'm fairly sure I have nowhere near the required experience so what I want to know is should I be keeping a detailed diary now of everything I'm doing in work every day, and should I write up a career profile of a job I've done in the past and get my previous boss to sign off on it, or should I wait til I'm ready to submit it, it will be 2-3 years at least I'd imagine before I have my PER done but I'd like to know I'm on the right track. I read through the discussion boards on the cimasphere website and someone posted a link to templates for career profiles but the link was old and no longer available

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

I'm ACMA 20 years but never got round to applying for FCMA even though I have tons of experience.

Applying for FCMA is one of my "To-Do's" for 2012 but with CIMA and AICPA launching the Global Chartered Management Accountant Credential (CGMA) on Jan 31st (see www.cgma.com) which all existing ACMA and FCMA's can use is it worth applying for FCMA at all?

I spoke to a CIMA employee recently and they told me that CGMA will effectively replace the ACMA and FCMA credentials. If this is true is there much point applying for FCMA now?

Thoughts anyone?

Ben

^^^ This is an active thread :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Richard571

julyjane wrote: »

I read through how to do it on CIMAs website but I am still unsure where to start. It says you need a proposer and a seconder, do these have to be employers who can certify that you did what you did in work or can they be any CIMA members?

Proposer and seconder do not need to be cima members or indeed accountants. They should be your manager or supervisor and have direct exposure to your work.

BenThere wrote: »
    ^^^ This is an active thread :rolleyes:

Its a new thread have patience, it will build up over time.

The idea behind it is to keep as much information on the CIMA qualification as possible in the one thread rather that having loads of different threads. Tell you CIMA buddies about it :p

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm ACMA 20 years but never got round to applying for FCMA even though I have tons of experience.

Applying for FCMA is one of my "To-Do's" for 2012 but with CIMA and AICPA launching the Global Chartered Management Accountant Credential (CGMA) on Jan 31st (see www.cgma.com) which all existing ACMA and FCMA's can use is it worth applying for FCMA at all?

I spoke to a CIMA employee recently and they told me that CGMA will effectively replace the ACMA and FCMA credentials. If this is true is there much point applying for FCMA now?

Thoughts anyone?

Ben

My thoughts are that the CGMA designation will be of greatest benefit if working - or planning to work - in the US. CIMA would not have great exposure over the pond, so FCMA designation would be of limited value. However in UK & Ireland where CIMA has a significant profile CGMA would not add value but FCMA would stll be seen as having added benefit.

This I believe is reflected in the fact that all ACMA can gain CGMA designation with no additional effort but FCMA requires additional application and importantly exposure to strategic decision making.

Well thought through response Richard, thanks.

I agree with your conclusion BTW. CGMA = nice to have if working internationally, particularly in the US. FCMA adds a 'senior' string to your bow if you're going to be operating here or in the UK.

Cheers,

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

I've been acma for 10 years but I've done very little about maintaining my cpd. How important really is it to keep it up to date considering I have little interest in getting the fcma letters?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Has anyone sat TOPCIMA by PC? If so, how did you find it compared to the pen and paper of a normal exam?

Trying to decide at the moment whether to sit the exam by PC or written, will sit it in May in any case

endabob1 wrote: »
    I've been acma for 10 years but I've done very little about maintaining my cpd. How important really is it to keep it up to date considering I have little interest in getting the fcma letters?

Main issue is if your picked up in "random" audit of members, you are asked to submit evidence of cpd hours - never known of anyone who has had this and in reality if this happens I think you are given 12 months to get up to speed - in short, not very important to maintain credentials unless very unlucky. However theory and practise can move on quickly in some areas of accounting so no harm in keeping abreast of things....

Sat it on pc, recon would be bout 5% better off if your writing is poor, like my case. Abour 2/3 class done it on pc which starts on saturday:eek:

Do it on PC if possible.

It is much tidier assuming you can touch type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭masalbeagdubh

I am thinking of doing the CIMA qualification as I have finished the Accounting Technician course. Is the content on the course much more detailed than the IATI course as I`m afraid I wouldn`t be able to give enough time to the study even doing one exam at a time. I would love to get some sort of accounting degree eventually but am afraid I may not be able to complete the full CIMA qualification as well as work fulltime etc. Any advice?

Advertisement