Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bad news for drinkers. FG/Labour to introduce minimum prices!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

The retailers in the North are gonna have a good year!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I know they want to stop underage drinking and the likes but would it not be easier to try and enforce the laws we already have first anyway? Alcohol is easily available to under 18s because there's no fear of the law or punishment involved.

Maybe if shops or parents were hit with heavy fines, we'd see some actual decline in teenage drinking...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

You can buy a crate of cheap beer in Germany (20x 0,5l bottles) for €7, or a crate of quality beer for €12, a 0,33 can in Lidl in Spain is 20 cents, but for some reason they don't have the same problem of widespread teen drinking that we have here. Why?

Its not the price of drink, its the attitude here to it, and raising the price of drink will solve nothing.

If FG/Lab had bothered to insist on facilities for kids being built as a condition for planning permission when they were rezoning swathes of the countryside the past couple of decades then kids might have somewhere else to go rather than sitting in clumps of trees knacker drinking, but that would involve sensible long term thinking, something the major political parties seem to be incapable of.

They can raise the price to €5 a can, it will do nothing, people will still find the money to get drunk, and the majority of us out for a couple of pints on a Friday night will suffer.

Its like the mindset that shut down head shops, they believe that now that because thay are shut down their kids aren't taking drugs, they are, its just that they are buying them off criminal gangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Lol, you think this is actually going to reduce drinking.

You think they are doing it just for the craic, im sure there has been research on this. Perhaps the measure doesn't go far enough, but they will test it and see the results.

Perhaps it should go up to 1.50 but you'd be moaning more then.

The fact is the population has a horrible disease, and even the bullshiet that the problem only affects 1% is total crap.

Id say 30-50% of the Irish population from 16+ has a serious problem with alcohol.

bijapos wrote: »
    You can buy a crate of cheap beer in Germany (20x 0,5l bottles) for €7, or a crate of quality beer for €12, a 0,33 can in Lidl in Spain is 20 cents, but for some reason they don't have the same problem of widespread teen drinking that we have here. Why?

Its not the price of drink, its the attitude here to it, and raising the price of drink will solve nothing.

If FG/Lab had bothered to insist on facilities for kids being built as a condition for planning permission when they were rezoning swathes of the countryside the past couple of decades then kids might have somewhere else to go rather than sitting in clumps of trees knacker drinking, but that would involve sensible long term thinking, something the major political parties seem to be incapable of.

They can raise the price to €5 a can, it will do nothing, people will still find the money to get drunk, and the majority of us out for a couple of pints on a Friday night will suffer.

Its like the mindset that shut down head shops, they believe that now that because thay are shut down their kids aren't taking drugs, they are, its just that they are buying them off criminal gangs.

This is the bullshiet i love reading. Ah yeah a few casual pints me arse. Maybe you do but for such a large percentage this is utter crap, more like 6-12 pints and highly damaging for ones health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Jim_Kiy wrote: »

Wouldn't be so sure about that, Stormont has been talking about introducing minimum alcohol prices as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Jim_Kiy wrote: »

Yep, as are those that will start up small 'buy cheaper from certain places' unofficially, this side of the border - after they bring it across the border.
    I know of a few in my own home town.
    Such places might likely increase like the sale of drink during the American banning of it at one stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

You think they are doing it just for the craic, im sure there has been research on this. Perhaps the measure doesn't go far enough, but they will test it and see the results.

The fact is the population has a horrible disease, and even the bullshiet that the problem only affects 1% is total crap.

Id say 30-50% of the Irish population from 16+ has a serious problem with alcohol.
    What the f**k has that got to do with the government exactly? What are they going to do with workaholics or people addicted to working out? Its another scam like the Price of Fags but sure lets all just bend over and take it.
    (i dont drink by the way)

Lol, you think this is actually going to reduce drinking.

Why you think young people have unlimited money?

You not for one second think it is possible that a raise in price might make some 14 year old buy 4 cans instead of 6?

You think they are doing it just for the craic?

No, I think they are doing it for the publicans.

• Advertisement

What the f**k has that got to do with the government exactly? What are they going to do with workaholics or people addicted to working out? Its another scam like the Price of Fags but sure lets all just bend over and take it.
    (i dont drink by the way)

It has to do with trying to create a good society. A healthy society.

I think there is a big difference between gym addicts and work addicts than bloody alcoholics. Jesus. Boards has really hit the floor recently intellect wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I'd like to see some links to back that up.

Otherwise, I'm calling bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Catching up on Boardwalk Empire atm, LOL at the thought that raising prices will stop people drinking :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

It is a big problem that needs to be worked on and I think this is a good step forward.

No harm bringing more money into the countries pocket.

I think there is a big difference between gym addicts and work addicts than bloody alcoholics. Jesus. Boards has really hit the floor recently intellect wise.
    That is not what government is for, Its to run **** while we live our lives. What they are doing is pricing us all into poverty while they lap up the grravy train.

In fairness, it's not just boards. The entire country is filled with people who don't want to even discuss the possibility Ireland has a serious drink problem. Anyone who brings it up is just, after all, a dry arsed auld *****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭overshoot

wait 1.10 a can? so my 8pack will now cost 80c more? this is going to have an effect on peoples drinking is it?! 1 euro a night?!
    (might not be able to afford that pack of crisps tomorrow tho)

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I'd like to see some links to back that up.

Otherwise, I'm calling bollocks.

If you've went out to a pub recently and counted how many of your mates consume more than 4/5 pints in an evening, you'd understand we have a very big problem that affects more than just a small minority.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

That is not what government is for, Its to run **** while we live our lives. What they are doing is pricing us all into poverty while they lap up the grravy train.

Don't drink if you cant afford it then. Its a luxury not a necessity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

It's creating a ****ing nanny state. Who the **** are these clowns to preach to us about what we do in our spare time? We're living in some of the most depressing times in my memory and we have goody two shoes telling us we're drinking too much. I work and pay my extortionate taxes and I'll be ****ed if this bastard of a country is going to critique or tell me what I can do with my money in my own time.

• Advertisement

Yea the government are colluding to make the lives of their citizens as miserable as possible, that's their aim.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

If you've went out to a pub recently and counted how many of your mates consume more than 4/5 pints in an evening, you'd understand we have a very big problem that affects more than just a small minority.
    Wow. Really scientific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Why don't parents take some responsibility then? Why does the rest of the population who behalve themselves have to suffer higher prices because of anti-social kids and their inept parents. Expecting the government to solve all our our social issues is a cop out. These parents who allow their kids roam the streets at all hours of the day and night drinking themselves silly should be taken to task.

Yakult wrote: »
    Don't drink if you cant afford it then. Its a luxury not a necessity.
    I dont drink. I just dont like seeing the government take so much control of our lives.

overshoot wrote: »
    wait 1.10 a can? so my 8pack will now cost 80c more? this is going to have an effect on peoples drinking is it?! 1 euro a night?!
    (might not be able to afford that pack of crisps tomorrow tho)

The way some people are reacting, you'd think they were charing 80Euro extra a night :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yakult wrote: »
    It is a big problem that needs to be worked on and I think this is a good step forward.

No harm bringing more money into the countries pocket.

Question - not to just yourself but to all.

IS the extra money going to the government or who exactly will get the bulk of the increase?
    Genuinely unsure myself.

DarkJager wrote: »
    It's creating a ****ing nanny state. Who the **** are these clowns to preach to us about what we do in our spare time? We're living in some of the most depressing times in my memory and we have good two shoes telling us we're drinking too much. I work and pay my extortionate taxes and I'll be ****ed if this bastard of a country is going to critique or tell me what I can do with my money in my own time.

Because contrary to popular believe they are looking out for the well-being of their people.

They realise alcohol is a serious problem in this country that leads to various health problems including depression, suicide and leads to domestic abuse.

Perhaps your ignorance is why we have such a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

This is the bullshiet i love reading. Ah yeah a few casual pints me arse. Maybe you do but for such a large percentage this is utter crap, more like 6-12 pints and highly damaging for ones health.

Do you drink yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I wish they'd just come out and say they're adding more tax too it because they want the money. Are they really trying to convince people that they believe making it €1.10 a can teenagers are going to drink. :pac:

They'll never own up to that, in the same way that they'll never own up to the real reason for cigarettes being so expensive.

I'm pretty sure they don't give a sh1t about carbon emissions either, but the tax is handy.

• Advertisement

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Wow. Really scientific.

Jesus, some reply mate, you 10?:eek:

Advertisement