Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Open Letter to All Irish Airsofters *mod warning in post 2 and 143, please read*

• 06-01-2012 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭

I have been asked to post the following on the IAA forum (http://www.irishairsoft.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=861 ) on behalf of the signatories below. I feel its important to post it here too in case anyone misses it

An Open Letter to All Irish Airsofters

As can be seen on the IAA website, there have been no nominations for positions on the executive committee for the upcoming year. This is a serious situation for a number of reasons.

The IAA has been instrumental in protecting and developing airsoft in Ireland since its inception. They have always been there when contentious issues needed addressing in the media. They dealt with and negotiated with the Dept Of Justice regarding the amendment to the Criminal Justice act in 2009. They implemented guidelines and safety practices for sites and retailers. They dealt with countless enquiries ranging from advice on where to play to how to deal with custom or garda seizures of airsoft equipment. They advised on planning legislation for site operators. They secured recognition of airsoft as a sport in Ireland through their affiliation with the Federation of Irish Sports. In short, they have been there for you when they were needed.

Granted, they haven’t been very visible for the past two years, but we have been assured this will be addressed at the upcoming AGM. Even though there may not have been a publicly visible presence, there has always been a good working relationship between site operators / retailers and the IAA and we are aware of the huge work that was carried out in the background. We as retailers and site operators know the workload that the committee has to work under, and we are also aware that this work is carried out in their spare time, and as such, can be quite limited. The members of all past committees have stepped up to the plate because they have a passion for airsoft and a desire to see it thrive in Ireland. We would be very disappointed to see this fall by the wayside at this point in time.

As it stands, if there is no committee voted in for next years term, the IAA will be immediately wound down, and all the hard work of previous committees will be for nothing and there will be no unified voice representing airsoft in Ireland.

The IAA has always been “by airsofters, for airsoft” and we have always been happy for this to be the case as it afforded us the opportunity to get on with our businesses. This has now changed. Everyone knows we are in a different economic situation now to where we were when airsoft started in Ireland. Sites and retailers are closing for many different reasons. Some may say that this is just an equalisation of the marketplace and that we had too many sites and retailers for the size of the market here. That may well be the case, but we still feel threatened by the fact that the amendment to the CJA (2009) has not yet been fully implemented. The licensing of retailers has not happened yet. There is no unified stance on the importation of devices from a DOJ / Customs point of view. Some Garda Superintendents have embraced the site permission issue, while others have not. Others have acted unilaterally in implementing the law as they see it. We are constantly trying to run our businesses while looking over our shoulder in case something should happen to threaten our livelihood.

That is what it all boils down to. You get your RIFs and your gear from retailer “A” and then you go off and have a days skirmishing at site “B” and you have a great time knowing that what you do is not a criminal offence.
    We do not feel so secure, and our livelihoods depend on what we do. We have to put food on the tables of our families aswell as those of our employees. Without the voice of the IAA representing us, we will be left out in the cold and we honestly cannot predict what will happen in the future. In a nutshell, if there were no sites or retailers, there would be no airsoft.

Currently, the IAA constitution disbars any member of the committee from having any commercial interest in airsoft. We fully understand why this was done, especially considering the debacle that UKARA turned out to be across the pond.

We now feel, however, that this needs to change. As we pointed out earlier, no airsofter has put themselves forward for election, so we are in a state of limbo. We, the Site Operators and Retailers have a vested interest in the security of airsoft in Ireland going forward. We have the passion and drive to make things happen. We have been successful in what we have done with our own businesses and we ask that consideration be given to allowing us to bring our multiple skills to the table to further secure and enhance the future of airsoft in Ireland. Through or daily dealings with Customs / Gardai / DOJ / Co Councils etc, we are probably better placed than any player to understand the issues faced by the airsoft community as a whole.

We do not want to have a second organisation as this dilutes the representative strength. The IAA has a wealth of resources available to it and it has a track record in dealing with Government bodies, Media etc. Nor do we want to have a situation that the IAA becomes a totally commercial driven entity as we do not feel this would be best for airsoft in Ireland. We just want to be allowed to play our part in securing, building and promoting the sport that everyone here loves so much. We want a voice at the table.

If the current committee can see fit to have an amendment to the constitution tabled at the AGM that would allow the participation of commercial bodies at executive level, we can assure you we will leave no stone unturned to make this work. We just want to have a secure framework in which to carry out our businesses and by extension, a secure network of Sites and Retailers to serve the needs of the airsoft players around the country under the banner of the IAA.

The only alternative to our proposal that we can see is that the association be wound down at the AGM, and that is something we would rather not contemplate.

Proposed constitutional changes:

Amend Article 5 section 10 as follows:

Persons who have a commercial interest in the sport of airsoft, or who have a connection to a
    commercial interest in the sport of airsoft shall be ineligible for nomination to the position of Chairperson.
    Nominated candidates shall, at the time of nomination, make a declaration that they have no
    such commercial interests. Serving committee members shall be barred from developing such commercial interests unless they resign their position

Richard Seery..........Hobby Airsoft..........Affiliate
    Derek Talbot...........Main Irish Airsoft.....Affiliate
    Damian Dobbyn........Red Barn Airsoft......Non-Affiliate
    Brendan O Neill........Fingal Airsoft..........Non-Affiliate
    Lee Yang................SG Airsoft .............Affiliate
    Brian Regan............Airsoft Reloaded......Affiliate
    Stephen Hickey........Airsoft Eire............Affiliate
    Alan Behan.............Strikearms............Affiliate
    Kevin O Toole..........Tallaght CQB..........Non-Affiliate
    David Robinson........Rathbeggan Airsoft..Affiliate
    Peter Sharpe...........Go Tactical............Affiliate
    Keith Richardson......Tigerland..............Affiliate
    Tony Roche.............Mid West Airsoft.....Non-Affiliate
    Joe Turner..............Asylum Airsoft........Non-Affiliate
    Tony McCann...........The Airsoft Centre...Non-Affiliate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

this thread is staying open for now for discussion of the above in a civil manner. flaming, trolling, abuse, mud-slinging or derailment will not be permitted and will result in a ban.

this will be the only warning.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

for the benefit of those not on the IAA forum , I'll post the question I asked over there

1 ) whats changed in the stance of the IAA (from an idealistic perspective) to allow commercial interests to get involved with the running of the association ?
    2) what checks and balances are going to be put in place to stop this descending into UKARA ver.2.0 ??

and a few more I've thought of :

3) with the incoming importation ban is it not more important than ever to have an independent body sticking up for the interests of the players ?

4) why can the commercial interests not go and setup their own organization purely for commercial interests ?

Thanks for your time,

Paul Horgan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I for one didn't know it was election/nomination time again, maybe people will see this thread and think of people to nominate and get involved in the voting and AGM.
    http://www.irishairsoft.ie/forum/viewforum.php?f=20 - AGM 2011 forum on IAA website

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cheezy

sounds good guys keep up the good work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

horgan_p wrote: »
    for the benefit of those not on the IAA forum , I'll post the question I asked over there

1 ) whats changed in the stance of the IAA (from an idealistic perspective) to allow commercial interests to get involved with the running of the association ?

It's become apparent that there aren't enough players interested and willing/capable to serve on the committee. I would think that this above all other reasons would be enough for this change. As I see it it's a choice between this and nothing.
    2) what checks and balances are going to be put in place to stop this descending into UKARA ver.2.0 ??

I am also interested in the answer to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭hrta

and a few more I've thought of :

3) with the incoming importation ban is it not more important than ever to have an independent body sticking up for the interests of the players ?

4) why can the commercial interests not go and setup their own organization purely for commercial interests ?

Thanks for your time,

Paul Horgan

Just to add a few questions to Paul's post,

1) How will people's personal data, which is held by the IAA, be used by the commercial interested party's.

2) Whats to stop the commercial interested party's, from blocking new business from trying to start up, or from monopolizing the market, that's here already.

3) And how will the commercial interested party's, look after the player, or buyer, act of conflict, even if the act of conflict, is with a member of the commercial interested party's.

Paul Carey.

hrta wrote: »
    Just to add a few questions to Paul's post,

1) How will people's personal data, which is held by the IAA, be used by the commercial interested party's.

Can't speak to the other ones, but the IAA member data is covered under data protection legislation, it's illegal to use it for any purposes outside IAA official business.
    2) Whats to stop the commercial interested party's, from blocking new business from trying to start up, or from monopolizing the market, that's here already.

How would they do this?
    3) And how will the commercial interested party's, look after the player, or buyer, act of conflict, even if the act of conflict, is with a member of the commercial interested party's.

How would the IAA currently deal with a grievance a player had with a current committee member?

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Can't speak to the other ones, but the IAA member data is covered under data protection legislation, it's illegal to use it for any purposes outside IAA official business.

How would they do this?

How would the IAA currently deal with a grievance a player had with a current committee member?

My questions were to the named commercial interested party's on the list above, thank's.

Paul.

Would the non affiliate sites / shops be willing to become affiliated ?
    Why haven't they been bothered to do so until now ?

Smells a bit like a couple of sites / shops get grief from the gardai / planning authorities and now the rest are looking to circle the wagons to protect themselves.Same old ,same old - when the sky isn't falling down its "screw the IAA" - when the sky is falling down it's "ZOMG , wherez the IAA"
    This looks like commercial interests looking after themselves - IAA and players , plinkers and collectors bedamned.

My questions were to the named commercial interested party's on the list above, thank's.

I don't think they necessarily have put themselves forward for committee, they just think this is a good idea.

• Advertisement

Would the non affiliate sites / shops be willing to become affiliated ?
    Why haven't they been bothered to do so until now ?

Smells a bit like a couple of sites / shops get grief from the gardai / planning authorities and now the rest are looking to circle the wagons to protect themselves.Same old ,same old - when the sky isn't falling down its "screw the IAA" - when the sky is falling down it's "ZOMG , wherez the IAA"
    This looks like commercial interests looking after themselves - IAA and players , plinkers and collectors bedamned.

Would you not have tried something similar back when you ran a shop?

Airsoft in Ireland needs representation. As a sport. It's become clear that not enough players are interested or inclined to put themselves forward (and all this 'not trusting the IAA' is balls. It's a cop-out, universally used by people who haven't informed themselves or just like to mouth off).

Personally as a former IAA committee member, and the person who actually introduced the part in the constitution about specifically excluding commercial entities, I agree that it's unfortunate this has to be considered, but it has to be considered due to lack of interest from players.

Switch the situation round for a second -- airsoft sites and retailers have gone for many years trusting players to do the right thing around their industry without (for the most part) insisting on getting involved. I think if there are enough people associated with commercial entities with the time and expertise to run the IAA, that I as a player think we at least owe them the chance to work for Airsoft as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

I am not commercially connected or at present a member of the IAA but I am an airsofter and can see several reasons why a constitution change would be good.
    1 Ease of sign-up to IAA (at shops or sites)
    2 They* don't have to explain to their boss why they are spending time during
    the working day dealing with the business of the IAA.
    3 They* have constant contact with players/collectors.
    4 They* have on-going contact with Garda/Councils.
    5 If this does not happen I think there will be split or second entity set up.

The only anti change issue I would be concerned with is "who will guard the guardians ?"

They* Retailers/site owners.

Would you not have tried something similar back when you ran a shop?
    You know full well I did dave , and where did it end ? what I wanted was a representative (singular) of commercial interests (sites and shops) on the committee of the IAA - non executive and in an advisory role.
    Airsoft in Ireland needs representation. As a sport. It's become clear that not enough players are interested or inclined to put themselves forward (and all this 'not trusting the IAA' is balls. It's a cop-out, universally used by people who haven't informed themselves or just like to mouth off).
    The players need representation - the plinkers and collectors also. The previous committee's line was that the commercial interests can more or less look after themselves. as regards people not being interested - I remember putting myself up for a nomination last year before what happened happened.A situation we are all still waiting for a resolution of.
    Personally as a former IAA committee member, and the person who actually introduced the part in the constitution about specifically excluding commercial entities, I agree that it's unfortunate this has to be considered, but it has to be considered due to lack of interest from players.

Switch the situation round for a second -- airsoft sites and retailers have gone for many years trusting players to do the right thing around their industry without (for the most part) insisting on getting involved. I think if there are enough people associated with commercial entities with the time and expertise to run the IAA, that I as a player think we at least owe them the chance to work for Airsoft as well.

To be honest Dave , I think you got it right years ago. In fact I think that without that committee we may not be where we are now (having a sport at all) - but I think this is a gross misstep.

se conman wrote: »
    The only anti change issue I would be concerned with is "who will guard the guardians ?"

I think it's a very valid worry. However, I've yet to see any argument or concern that couldn't be also levelled at a player.

By the way , the above in bold is directed at players as much as anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

It be interested to see what actions the committee would take up next year.

Realisticly if the above amendment goes in palce, the IAA committee will essentially just be retailers and site owners.

I'd be interested to keep tabs on where effort and focus was being placed.

It would be actual the ideal set-up for what I've wanted for years, streamlined gaming rule sets across various sites and process through retailers

- Basic clarity on fundamentals like bang kills etc
    - Streamlined chronographing processes
    - Streamlined retail chronographing and certification provided
    - Agreeable warranty and etiquette when dealing with repairs/returns

And there is a few others.

However if its a year spent promoting airsoft, well, that would be epic fail. I dont feel the game needs promotion or advertisement, it requires consolidation and resolution on outstanding issues present the last few years.

But then again as has been said above, I'm one of those that doesnt really care anymore. If it gets to a point where decisions being taken starts affecting my gaming or reducing my enjoyment, I'll resign up to have my voice heard.

But its only fair, that as a non member, that I keep to myself and just hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

I think the unspoken concern amonge players is that what is bets for commercial interests is not necessarily best for areas of the airsoft community

at the moment we have hardly any pressure on retailers or sites to reach a set standard, what would be the intensive for commercial interest to support changes which would put pressure on them to change precise or make improvements

a common theme in Irish airsoft community has been an inability to make the difficult discussions that are unpopular but right for the development of the hobby in the long run, is these hard choices becomes increasingly less likely with these changes

To be honest Doc , the IAA has always said that they are for non-members as-well as members so your opinion is as valid as anybody's. If I could sign up at a shop/site , i would do so in the morning , I know this is down to lazyness but I think there are lots more like me.

I think this boils down to one question , what is the lesser of two evils* , an IAA with retailers/site operators on the committee or no IAA ?
    This may be over simplifying things but it is the base question.

evil* (I use this term loosely)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

It would be actual the ideal set-up for what I've wanted for years, streamlined gaming rule sets across various sites and process through retailers

- Basic clarity on fundamentals like bang kills etc
    - Streamlined chronographing processes
    - Streamlined retail chronographing and certification provided
    - Agreeable warranty and etiquette when dealing with repairs/returns

why? other than areas relatively to law and safety a body can only make recommendation and especially in-regard to commercial areas can not get involved due to competition

- site rules, again other than safety and law it is up the sites to sort that out, you can recommend best practice but that is all, i do not see airsoft as a sport but a hobby so uniform rules are not that important to be and when i've seen the 'sport' aspect some into the community where uniform rules would be of use tbh it has always gone tits up
    - Streamlined chronographs processes, agree
    - Streamlined retail chronographing and certification provided, well you have to address a lot of issue hear from inconsistent practices to 'certificates' begin issued, actually love to see how that one works out
    - Agreeable warranty and etiquette when dealing with repairs/returns, this is where you start getting issue, as players then we want to promote one thing where as retail will want something else, also its a competition issue with retails

AS i say there are massive issue that i can, take downgrades for example. Ideally you would want a best practices to promote correct downgrading by the player community but as a retailer my needs are slightly different, i can not have this body recommended that drilling for example is a bad practice and does not recommend retailers to use it.

The reality is that most players do not care about the IAA and anyone who does is smart enough to stay clear at the moment due to all the **** in recent yeas. In desperation we have turned to the retailers who we hope will how and interest and invest time, but they they will invest time tbh more than likely to get something from it, with an aim of increasing business. People may not want to admit it but that is the reality of the situation.

• Advertisement

The way i see it, all of the above posters have asked there questions to the people named below, would this not be the same as asking any one putting there nominations for committee members, and this thread has been up now for 6 hours, and i have not seen any of the named post back to any of the questions.

Richard Seery..........Hobby Airsoft..........Affiliate
    Derek Talbot...........Main Irish Airsoft.....Affiliate
    Damian Dobbyn........Red Barn Airsoft......Non-Affiliate
    Brendan O Neill........Fingal Airsoft..........Non-Affiliate
    Lee Yang................SG Airsoft .............Affiliate
    Brian Regan............Airsoft Reloaded......Affiliate
    Stephen Hickey........Airsoft Eire............Affiliate
    Alan Behan.............Strikearms............Affiliate
    Kevin O Toole..........Tallaght CQB..........Non-Affiliate
    David Robinson........Rathbeggan Airsoft..Affiliate
    Peter Sharpe...........Go Tactical............Affiliate
    Keith Richardson......Tigerland..............Affiliate
    Tony Roche.............Mid West Airsoft.....Non-Affiliate
    Joe Turner..............Asylum Airsoft........Non-Affiliate
    Tony McCann...........The Airsoft Centre...Non-Affiliate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Airsoft Reloded

The fact that no one has the time to run a governing body, work, look after their family and have a life while on the other hand there are a lot of people who have all of the above and the experience to do it well.

The fact that everything has to be voted on, as always you get what you vote for.

What would you like to see happen regarding this, I don't mean to be smart but don't just pose questions, suggest a solution if you have an idea.

We can, very easily and quickly but that will dilute the power of both the IAA and that body which would render them both weak and it would render the IAA pointless because a "commercial lobby group" could bring a lot more clout than a body ran by part timers and players who sometimes support it. This would result no doubt in UKARA .2 and no one wants that.
    Puding wrote: »
    at the moment we have hardly any pressure on retailers or sites to reach a set standard, what would be the intensive for commercial interest to support changes which would put pressure on them to change precise or make improvements

To put it simply the customer will (as they do now and always will, as with all business), what a lot of players have to accept is that just because something is done that you don’t like or a place is run in a way you don’t like (or that’s what you’ve heard and chose to accept) surely some people like it or they wouldn’t go there and the place would be closed already.

My own personal opinion is that we can secure the sport, now granted it is mostly secure but not enough for a lot of commercial interests to invest more than they already have. I've had several discussions with others involved in the commercial end of things and most feel the same in this regard.

Another plus is that we can start working together for better events e.t.c. As Doc said we can come up with basic standards and rather than hinder new comers to the commercial end of things the committee would be a great source of knowledge and help.

I don't think there is anyone “running to the IAA” when things are bad, I think this is more an acceptance that the body can’t be ran on good intentions or on a few people’s spare time. It would be run by people whose livelihood depended on it and by people who work in the airsoft field full time.

Sites are going to look after shops and players because they need them, retailers are going to look after collectors, plinkers, skirmishers and sites because they need them and the body is going to look after everyone because it needs them all. Without players there are no shops or sites but without shops and sites there is no airsoft at all so we HAVE to look after each other’s interest. After years of working side by side (sometimes at odds) it’s about time we all worked together and did it right for us all.

Everyone is going to meet (for the first time in years) and everything will be worked out, make up your mind after everyone knows exactly what we all want and whats planned. Until then have an open mind. I’d like to point out that I speak for myself and in no way represent anyone else’s view.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cheezy

whats with all the negativity lads thease people are trying to make the sport/hobby call it what u want stronger so that it can grow more :) this benafits the people the sites and the shops put it this way the more shops that open the more people buy stuff the more sites that open the more people play it all works to everyones advantage ;) 1 united force is stronger than 3 forces with people who dnt no where there head is at

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭cobra 08

Paul Carey.

Could it not be amended so that people with comercial interset's can only occupy 50% of the commitee? Allowing players to fill the rest. This way we get the experience of the retailers/site-owners without the worries that they're just going too suit themselves.
    se conman wrote: »
    If I could sign up at a shop/site , i would do so in the morning , I know this is down to lazyness but I think there are lots more like me.
    I've tried too join online but nothing ever came of it and I was down 10euro too, so yes this would be handy.

After years of working side by side (sometimes at odds) it’s about time we all worked together and did it right for us all.
    Would be nice for a change;)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Mister TETRA

What are the options here people. Is there anyone willing to put their hand up and say "Ill do this job". The way it has been explained to me is that if this doesn't happen the IAA "MAY" be no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Mister TETRA

By the way , the above in bold is directed at players as much as anyone else.
    As for this comment, I believe it was the IAA that have proposed this to the retailers and site owners. No-one went running to the IAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭OddysAirsoft

''Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ''
    Could it not be amended so that people with comercial interset's can only occupy 50% of the commitee?

Cobra08/Robbie - you cannot fill a committee with 50% of nothing - NO PLAYERS wanted to be on the committee - it was too much a poison chalice after the last 2 years. And lets face it - some of the 'players' that ran it previously didn't exactly do a stand up job!

Fresh blood, new start and maybe,just maybe there will be a future for the IAA.

Instead of people slating the new, before it has even started, I would love to see people give it a chance - throw the cards in the air and see what way they land before passing judgement - because what ever way it goes from here - it can not be any worse than what it already has been! Am I being a bit Utopian- probably!
    The way i see it, all of the above posters have asked there questions to the people named below, would this not be the same as asking any one putting there nominations for committee members, and this thread has been up now for 6 hours, and i have not seen any of the named post back to any of the questions.

If the new committee has ANY sense, apart from this statement, they should conduct all of their affairs on their own dedicated site and avoid Boards at all cost.

. Snip

So why have Airsoft reloaded never been affiliated before now ? I do assume you'd have to become affiliated to get on the committee ? Or would it just be individual members / employees ?

As for this comment, I believe it was the IAA that have proposed this to the retailers and site owners. No-one went running to the IAA.

Actually that's a damn fine question. Who approached who about this ? We have a letter from retailers /sites , what do the current Iaa committee make of it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

So why have Airsoft reloaded never been affiliated before now ? I do assume you'd have to become affiliated to get on the committee ? Or would it just be individual members / employees ?

While I don't know if they did join recently or not, how would that be a bad thing?

As has been said by others, the IAA is not what it used to be 2/3 years ago. To me personally, there does not seem to be any advantage to being affiliated with an organisation that the very people it represents don't want to be a part of.

Now, however, when a solution is posed to fix/bolster the IAA, becoming affiliated is suddenly a bad thing? Seems a strange point of view to be honest

Advertisement