Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Braces Experience

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kathyd91

I'm 20 and got my braces on 6 months ago and I can really see a big difference already! I was told they'd be on for 18 months-2 years so I'm guessing that's just the standard time they tell everyone. The cost is €4000 and I'm paying in installments so its not too bad! Hopefully they'll be off sooner rather than later! I have to agree that the extractions were by far the worst part but by the time I had them done there was no going back! Having said that, I definitely don't regret getting the braces I just wish I'd gotten them earlier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Its great to see all the stories. A Dental professor of mine used to say about undertaking a large dental treatment plan, that its like building and extension on your house. Looking at the plans you know it will be good, but when there are builders with a cement mixer in your kitchen its not so jolly. When its over you forget all that and enjoy the results. Good luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

That's a pretty good analogy. My Mom cried at the worst of her extension and I haven't cried yet so I guess things are going well. But then her extension only took 8 weeks!...

I think the main issue with not feeling I'm able to get my teeth fully clean is I left my super electric toothbrush in a friends house a few weeks ago and I won't be able to get it back until Christmas. I think once I have that I'll be back on track. Will probably still visit the hygenist in January anyway though.

Azureus wrote: »
    I had braces on my bottom teeth for two years and two months (he originally said 18 months, but there ya go...) and Im getting them off later today! The difference is honestly unbelievable. Im so happy I went ahead and got them at 21. The top could probably do with a little bit of straghtening, but they werent near as bad as the bottom and for 2grand I couldnt afford it. But adult braces were definatey the best decision Ive ever made!

Cant wait to see my bottom teeth without train tracks for the first time since 2009!

If you have a sec can you let us know how the taking off went? What's the process? And were the results as you expected?

BMRising wrote: »
    oh also...I may need a gum graft (going for assessment on Thursday) - has anyone had one of these? the ortho said if I do need it (just one tooth, on the bottom) then I can get the top braces on and I wouldnt be getting the lower ones on anyway for a few months so the graft can heal in that time...would be interested in hearing others experiences esp re cost?

I can't help you on the graft because I have no idea what one is. On the self-conciousness then I found, yes of course you're conscious of them for a while. It's a big change to your face. But then if you are getting the brace you've been conscious of teeth for 20 years now so the 1-2 year period of braces is worth it for the 40 years of happy smiling. And I know it sounds like something people say but for the first week I hated it as the depressed sounding post above notes but within a week I find you get used to them and they are what they are.

That being said I still hate if I have a presentation in work or something big on cos I'm very conscious of them but from a day to day pov it's grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

If you have a sec can you let us know how the taking off went? What's the process? And were the results as you expected?

I got my braces taken off last year after wearing them for 20months or so. I was so happy with the results. Its a bit uncomfortable getting them off. but similar feeling to getting the wire changed, feels so weird:). The ortho used a piler type thing to pull the brace off, that was the worst part, not for pain just felt a bit odd. She then used something lsimilar to what you would get your teeth cleaned with and took off the cement. Little bits of cement floating around your mouth(nice!).

I was a bit worried about how my teeth would look as I am a smoker and thought there would be major staining as I have a friend who still have the outline of the braces on their teeth. She really did a good clean and my teeth looked really nice and clean:)

Actually the worst part of getting the braces off was the fact that I had(still have) to wear a retainer. I cried for the first few morning as it was too easy to take the retainer off to stop the pain I felt and when I would put it back in even after 20mins or so the pain was unbearable.

Over a year later, my teeth haven't moved, I can go a couple of days without the retainer but if I leave if any longer, I can see the gaps appearing again; I'm happy with the results still although a bit miffed as if I waited an extra year or so, I would of got them alot cheaper(I paid over 5000e):(

• Registered Users Posts: 48 BMRising

Tomorrow is D Day...I'm very scared.
    I've cleared work for Wednesday and Thursday in case they are really sore - does it tend to be sore enough to take time off work? I just have no idea what to expect. I suppose it's different for everyone.

I'm going to curl up in bed tomorrow night and watch a Christmas movie to make me feel better anyway....oh well, it'll be worth it in the end I hope. I am just sick of seeing photos of myself on FB with my mouth closed...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭SooooBored

Tomorrow is D Day...I'm very scared.
    I've cleared work for Wednesday and Thursday in case they are really sore - does it tend to be sore enough to take time off work? I just have no idea what to expect. I suppose it's different for everyone.

I'm going to curl up in bed tomorrow night and watch a Christmas movie to make me feel better anyway....oh well, it'll be worth it in the end I hope. I am just sick of seeing photos of myself on FB with my mouth closed...:o

Best of luck, best decision of your life to get them. Its not as sore as people make out but milk it for every thing ya can ;). Its more strange than anything else. Its the eating that will be the worse. At work ya can't really just grab a big roll and scoff it now, yogurts and smoothies for the first while.

Ok....they've been on for almost two hours now...nothing more than slight discomfort yet. I'm just sitting here waiting for them to really start hurting!

Worst timing ever as well, something in work completely blew up this afternoon and I got two panicked phonecalls about it in the 10 minutes after the braces went on! So I didn't even really have time to be upset about how they looked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Kids dont mind braces at all, they are very stoic and just get on with it. I remember my mum telling me I was an lucky to have them and to stop complaining :)

As an adult you are less tolerant of discomfort and worry more about thing that may or may not happen.

• Advertisement

Definitely...like worrying what other people will think etc.
    My niece is 12 now and they are talking about her getting braces, I know she is resisting massively so I may have to sit her down for a little chat... I wish somebody had done that for me when I was her age, I was just a stubborn little brat and my parents didn't stand up to me about it!

Even though I am a bit sad with them on because of how they look now, the feeling that they are being fixed every minute of every day is so much better than feeling constantly self conscious about your teeth and knowing nothing is happening to improve it, and that they might even be getting worse!

I found the worst discomfort (and only discomfort, couldn't really call it out and out pain) was for the 1 day after getting it on (so tomorrow for you). I probably moaned about it like I'd been shot though.

I thought it was just something people said but it's unbelievable the movement in the 2 months I've had them on. That keeps me going for situations like I know there'll be over Xmas where running into the old boyfriends and the like!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Hey, how are you all getting on with your braces? I've had mine on nearly 6months and thought I'd post some before and after pictures, hopefully the rest of you will join in! Its great to see some progress!! :D

I have ceramic braces top and bottom!

Before Braces:
    img0361q.jpg

First day with braces:
    img0472u.jpg

Today, 6months into treatment:
    photo215n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dublinannie

Those braces look great, your teeth also look really white. What are the name of those brackets you have on? I know they are ceramic, but what is the actual name. Are they self ligating?

I am due to get some on too, ceramic on top, called Radiance, they are supposed to be the clearest type, but elastics will be used with them. Metal will be on the bottom teeth. Yours seem to be really clear and not bulky like a lot of ceramics are that I have seen.

It is a good idea of posting pics up for progress and other people can also see different types of orthodontic problems and braces being used. I don't know how you get an actual group/forum started for it though. There are a few forums for braces but I haven't found an Irish or UK one yet. I'm sure it would be a very active forum.

I'm not sure of a name...I just know they're ceramic sorry! I have elastics on mine aswell, some of them have wires instead cause some teeth need extra pressure I assume, like my canines. They've just been changed so they're very clear. Nearer the end of the month they will be very stained.

I had my teeth whitened a few years ago so that might be why they look white as the ceramic brackets blend better than if they were discoloured.

I'm very excited to get to my end result. I have a few chips so getting some bonding work done and also my gum line is very uneven so getting some gum lasering.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

The change in 6mths is incredible! Sorry, I have no good pics. I had a pic of mouth before braces but my camera is crappy. Might put it up anyway if I figure out how. I do intend to ask dentist can I have a good before and after off him. Just to see what 4k looks like!

Mine look really good just after the changing of the elastics but after about three weeks all the tea and coffee kicks in and they discolour. I hope to get them whitened too when I'm done.

EDIT:
    1000688ew.jpg

Ok here it is. Sorry for the crappy quality. In this photo I think they look far more jumbled than I remember. That one on the left of photo used to sit on my lip when my mouth was closed and that was the main reason I think I ended up getting the brace.

Just wondering - is anyone else going non-extraction?
    My lower front teeth are very overcrowded; I have rarely seen another person with worse, but I guess maybe i'm overly self conscious. My ortho started me with a non extraction plan and is 75% sure I won't need one. Is this unusual? I just saw on another thread that overcrowding is usually treated with pre molar extraction and braces. if I end up needing extractions, will it slow down the braces treatment or can it be done at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

^ A lot of orthodontists prefer not to extract teeth as extractions can sometimes (or..usually) change how person's face look. It's easier with kids as expanders and other appliances can be used to make room and therefore extractions are not needed. Expanders don't usually work with adults though. I wouldn't get the teeth extracted if you don't need to, I'm sure your ortho knows best anyway!

I would have preferred not to have any teeth removed, but there would have been absolutely no room in my mouth otherwise! Still must get the bottom two pulled. Yays.

I have photos!

This was the second week I got them on:
    Click

And this is today...only 3 months later!!
    Clicky click

Getting the bottom ones on in 2 weeks. He put in the spacers today. My brother said they will hurt, I hope not.

Thanks for posting those! My top teeth actually look a lot like yours, the two canines are my most out of position.my incisors are a good bit smaller than yours though. teeth are so funny. it's really encouraging to see what a difference three months makes, I am braced for three weeks (and one day) so can't wait to start to see real results like that!
    My bottom teeth look a good bit more overcrowded than yours. i am really not looking forward to getting the lower braces on. :/ i just think my mouth will feel so full. and flossing etc is already such a pain in the ass that I can't imagine it taking twice the time that it's currently taking me!

• Advertisement

It's mad how fast they move! I'd say my bite will take a lot of time. It's very deep.

Get a Waterpik! Very handy if you find flossing difficult.

I do have a waterpik, and I was using that for a while but then I did normal flossing on my lower teeth the other day and there was a good bit of bleeding from the front incisors :/ so I've gone back to regular flossing every other day and using the waterpik in between and to dislodge stubborn bits of food etc. I think they're too overcrowded and the contacts are too tight for the waterpik to get in for the moment.

on another note I just had a gum graft, I feel like I've been punched repeatedly in the mouth :(

Oh and...my bite is really deep as well. What was the time estimate your ortho gave you? Mine says average time is 18 months, slow is 24 months. I really can't afford to be in these for more than 2 years due to the timing of different things coming up after that so I really hope she's right...

Next tightening is in a week! Cannot wait! Braces are super stained! :o

I have a tightening next week too and really need it as elastics almost glowing orange at this stage from all the tea I've been drinking. But then again a choice between white elastics and tea is only going to have one winner!

After the first 8 week or so wait between getting them on and the initial adjustment, how long is it generally between adjustments?

Oh and...my bite is really deep as well. What was the time estimate your ortho gave you? Mine says average time is 18 months, slow is 24 months. I really can't afford to be in these for more than 2 years due to the timing of different things coming up after that so I really hope she's right...

He told me 2 years, approx..
    After the first 8 week or so wait between getting them on and the initial adjustment, how long is it generally between adjustments?

Every six weeks for me. Although this month I have 3 visits, due to getting the bottom spacers/braces and I'm getting some lovely thing behind my front teeth to help my bite :/

Ya, every 6 weeks for me too. Although because of Christmas it's been about 8 weeks so hence the lovely orange colour.

Love Lia Lia photos. Amazing the movement in 3 months on the incisors. Braces do some great work!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭fichillie

Feel the pain about the discoloured elastics, I have one wrapped around the brackets of my 4 front teeth to keep them together. Gaps were beginning to appear in them which looked really bad, so now they're all together, but it tends to get discoloured quite fast. Got a new one this week so its good at the moment, but I do miss having the odd curry ;)

Getting my bottom brace on Feb 17th, I'll have had the top one on 5 months then. He had told me I'd be done in 18ths months but I'm hoping they'll be off in December (15 months).....told him they have to be looking pretty for when the world ends ;)

Thanks for posting pics guys, I have a set of photos the ortho took before my treatment, which if I get a chance to find, I'll try and put up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ennis81

Was at ortho on Friday and he opened a pic of teeth on his computer beside me while I was in the chair,, I asked who's are those teeth? He laughed and said they are YOURS!!! (1ST PIC HE TOOK OF ME NEARLY 2 YRS AGO WHEN I STARTED TREATMENT) Couldn't believe it, didn't even recognise my horribe OLD smile, my treatment almost finished just some minor tweaks left. To any one considering fixing your smile GO FOR IT best money I've ever spent;)

Advertisement