Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite recurring character

• 28-11-2011 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭

I was going to start a poll but wasn't sure I could think of enough choices.

So I was wondering who is everyone's favourite recurring character from any of the Star Trek series? I took a recurring character to be anyone who appeared in a several times but who wasn't a regular cast member.

I'll start out with a few:

Q
    Garak
    Gul Dukat
    Brunt/Weyoun/Shran
    Rom

I think I will say Q. He's very entertaining and always has a funny line and played very well off Picard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Q definately, apart from Picard and Data, he would be my favourite character out of all trek. He's an excellent critic of humanity and generally takes the p1ss out of humans but is also a kind of teacher, one who delivers hard lessons but lessons well learnt by his human subjects. He has some of the best lines in trek

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid. "

(Imo the most accurate description of the nature of this universe we actually inhabit)

"Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you had never considered. *That* is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence."

(Again, something I would agree with, Q is basically saying that collecting data, dotting Is and crossing Ts isn't going to push humanity forward, it will be achieved through imagination and insight.)

Barclay in TNG would be another recurring character that I like. Kehylr was cool , shouldn't have been bumped off so soon. Lore I guess aswell. I very much liked Garak, he was a likeable villain who I actually wanted to suceed most of the time, he wasn't such a bad guy, he had good ideals, its just that circumstances made him get confused in executing them. And he perfectly showed up the pomposity of Sisko and Bajorans by being a laissez faire libertarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

Guinan because she was a contradiction sometimes she would interfere and sometimes she would act enigmatic and refuse.

Of course Q.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I just watched the episode Q-Less from season 1 of DS9. Again Q was super funny and had one of the best lines in the show. Vash is talking to Quark when Q makes him disappear and Q says "What business could you possibly have with that disgusting little troll".

I laughed my head off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

G-Money wrote: »
    I just watched the episode Q-Less from season 1 of DS9. Again Q was super funny and had one of the best lines in the show. Vash is talking to Quark when Q makes him disappear and Q says "What business could you possibly have with that disgusting little troll".

I laughed my head off.

DS9 were pretty poor with Q tbh. There was no lesson, no philosophical issue just Q chasing some skirt. And then don't get me started on Voyager.

My favourites

Martok
    Q
    Guinan
    Dukat
    Admiral Nechayev

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Reg

He was so inept it was funny every time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Toss up between Garak & Dukat :cool:

Reg

He was so inept it was funny every time.

I don't think he was necessarily inept, he had many moments of brilliance which left the other crew members trailing in his dust. The problem was that he didn't fit into the regimented heirarchical structure of starfleet nor did he conform to its cultural emphasis on personality traits such as displays of self assuredness/confidence, being a good communicator etc. In many way his story is allegorical of those (aspergers/introverts/eccentrics) who are unable to conform to the increasingly draconian cultural demands of the workplace and are therefore overlooked/ostracized even though they may be highly capable.

I don't think he was necessarily inept, he had many moments of brilliance which left the other crew members trailing in his dust. The problem was that he didn't fit into the regimented heirarchical structure of starfleet nor did he conform to its cultural emphasis on personality traits such as displays of self assuredness/confidence, being a good communicator etc. In many way his story is allegorical of those (aspergers/introverts/eccentrics) who are unable to conform to the increasingly draconian cultural demands of the workplace and are therefore overlooked/ostracized even though they may be highly capable.

Is that just an elaborate way of saying he had no self confidence in social situations? If so, agreed...he was a great character

EnterNow wrote: »
    Is that just an elaborate way of saying he had no self confidence in social situations? If so, agreed...he was a great character

Well not quite, yeah he had no confidence but the other characters were displaying their own in built prejudices which they derived from their cultural environment by making him a pariah and exacerbating his lack of self confidence. The only one who understood him and treated him with any modicrum of respect was Guinan. Picard also. Geordi eventually got the idea too but Wesley and the random officers acted like assholes and that simply reflected the fact that they were unconsciously carrying out the unspoken prejudices of star fleet culture towards people like Barclay.

In manys a way it conveys the idea that in nature the odd element/mutation is attacked if it isn't strong enough to rapidly multiply or find a niche, most humans act in the same way towards people who flout convention, the episode was advocating for the conscious attempt to exercise one's humanity (sentience/critically evaluating the procedures of nature and choosing to align with them or reject them) in being accepting (within reason) of people who don't conform to the meme pool of cultural rules, with respect to non dangerous individuals such as Barclay.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Well not quite, yeah he had no confidence but the other characters were displaying their own in built prejudices which they derived from their cultural environment by making him a pariah and exacerbating his lack of self confidence

Are you the Architect? :pac:

113architect3.jpg

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »

113architect3.jpg

haha lol :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

TNG - Lwaxana Troi. No matter where she went she always managed to spread a little chaos. And it's always fun to watch Picard squirm :D

Spot - I like cats!

Vash

Sela

Professor Moriarty

DS9 - Dukat. If nothing else for all of his career changes - Gul, Freighter Captain, Renegade Klingon hunter, Cardassian premier then religuous figure. And the way he screwed Sisko so completely, priceless.

Garak - I've always admired his sense of pragmatism.

Honourable mentions go to Joseph Sisko, Ishka, Enabran Tain and Luther Sloan.

VOY

This one was hard, not too many to choose from here. I liked Lon Suder.

ENT - Crewman Daniels. It turns out you can be a time warrior from the future and be fairly average looking.

Major Hayes. It was interesting to have the conflict between the unbridled optimism of exploration and the fact that it's a dangerous galaxy out there.

Shran, definitely. You could see how he hated having to work with Archer to achieve their mutual goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

EnterNow wrote: »
    Toss up between Garak & Dukat :cool:

Came in here to post this.

Both of these men had so many sides to their character it was always entertaining to see them on screen. Dukat in particular because he had such a good character arc throughout the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Daith

Alot of my faves have been mentioned (Garak, Dukat) but I'm going to give props to Nog. From stealing in the first episode to being a lieutenant in the last. Now that's some character development.

Daith wrote: »
    Alot of my faves have been mentioned (Garak, Dukat) but I'm going to give props to Nog. From stealing in the first episode to being a lieutenant in the last. Now that's some character development.

Nog is brilliant :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Dukat was class. He was evil but you still loved watching him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Surely Garak and Nog would have been considered regulars, rather than recurring characters? Loved them both though.

I loved Eddington. Was a good character as a Security officer, and even better when he went back to the Maquis. Sisko really hated him for that, which was great. Good to see him getting a proper ending as well, rather than just getting captured and put in jail.

Weyoun was fantastic as well. Really played the good bad guy well, and his interactions with the Cardassians was great. Jeffrey Combs was great for the role, which considering it was made specifically for him, is no surprise.

Q, from TNG was a fantastic character. Not so fond of him in DS9 or Voy, but he was brilliant when dealing with Picard. Loved how the last episode went, with him kind of saving (or helping to save) humanity.

Lastly, Dukat. What a character. Whether it was with Sisko, Kira or Garek, he played the role perfectly. As someone else said, from Captain to rebel to leader to prophet, he was great. The Pah'Wrait story was a bit meh, but still. Loved him in charge of the Klingon Bird of Prey, and his betrayal to the Dominion was perfect.

Other honourable mentions go to Martok.

And Morn :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Q, John de Lancie only, didn't like the others.
    Garak, with almost any other character he was great to watch.
    Brunt, best of the bunch played by Jeffrey Combs, his other characters where excellent as well but Brunt was his best.
    Sloan, might just have been me but I saw a Star Trek spy series in him alone.

My winner, Reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd have to go with Dukat for the reasons above closely followed by Garak

Honorable mentions for (TNG) Q - although he lost it a bit with the Vash episode I thought, Martok, Weyoun, and Gowron

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Captain Braxton.
    The poor guy went mad because of Voyager. I'm sure many Star Trek fans will sympathise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

KenSwee wrote: »
    Captain Braxton.
    The poor guy went mad because of Voyager. I'm sure many Star Trek fans will sympathise.

I don't feel much of anything for Voyager. The wasted potential of Enterprise really annoys me though.

If someone just randomly approached you and blamed you for a temporal explosion that destroyed our solar system in the distant future you'd think he'd offer up a little more evidence. It's even more unlikely that Braxton didn't think that Voyager would offer up any resistance to being wiped out of existence and plan accordingly to a number of scenarios. Bear in mind that he's one of the people from an advanced Federation that travels through time as a matter of course, you'd think he could plan ahead given all the consequences that could happen because of their jobs.

I haven't thought of that episode in a while but it's a particularly bad example of a flimsy premise.

Personally, he was a potentially interesting bad guy turned into a cardboard cutout. The guy who stole his ship may be for the cringeworthy character thread though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Admiral Necheyev. Hated her when I was younger, but she has grown on me. Generally a sign the episode will be good when she appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Off the top of my head, Garak... Though I would nearly think of him as a main character....

And special mention goes to Robin Lefler, but that's only because she's so te...

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Harcourt Fenton Mudd.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

Kiith wrote: »

113architect3.jpg

Needs more "Ergo, vis a vis, concordantly, apropos" ^^ shítty character btw

Anyway, Rom is my favourite character. I like his attitude and way people always underestimate him but he generally proves them wrong (importantly because he achieves it without feeling like he HAS to prove them wrong!). Cool voice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Garak, best character in trek peiod.

Advertisement