Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Indo Article 31/12/11

• 31-12-2011 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Cigarette firms

back 'healthy' nicotine

revolution

8D7yn.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Or for those of you who like me have lost the ability to read the written word unless its encased in <TAGS> ...
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/cigarette-firms-back-healthy-nicotine-revolution-2976781.html

:-)

Generally a good if slightly uninformed story ...hardly a "news" story ...wondering what might be the " agenda" behind it

Oh ..and BTW today I pass the 3,000 cigs not smoked mark ...
    / Ed gives himself a big pat on the back /
    :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Generally a good if slightly uninformed story ...hardly a "news" story ...wondering what might be the " agenda" behind it
    Big Tobacco needs a share of the e-cig market?
    The pharma companies wont like this if its as effective as e-cigs.
    Holland has banned e-cig containing nicotine, did it on xmass eve BION.
    Theirs a market and everybody is trying to get in on or protect their existing share.
    Might stock up could see banns on 'unlicensed' products coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Does that mean they will buy out an existing ecig company or design a next generation device in house?

Does that mean they will buy out an existing ecig company or design a next generation device in house?

I think it means this; http://www.nicoventures.co.uk/what-is-nicoventures

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Italian Study.
    Effect of an electronic nicotine delivery device (e-Cigarette) on smoking reduction and cessation: a prospective 6-month pilot study

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/11/786

Conclusions

Current smoking cessation interventions can increase the chance of quitting in committed smokers who are already motivated and prepared to stop smoking [33], but a broader range of interventions are needed in order to bring more smokers into treatment and increase the numbers who are motivated to make quit attempts. Although not formally regulated as a pharmaceutical product, the e-Cigarette can help smokers to remain abstinent or reduce their cigarette consumption. By replacing tobacco cigarettes, the e-cigarette can only save lives.

Here we show for the first time that e-Cigarettes can substantially decrease cigarette consumption without causing significant side effects in smokers not intending to quit. However, large and carefully conducted RCTs will be required before a definite answer about the efficacy and safety of these devices can be formulated. Some of these trials are now in progress in Italy [34-36] and New Zealand [37] and hopefully they will be able to confirm and expand the preliminary observations reported in the present article.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If the tobacco companies are getting into the eCig market that could be a worry. They could potentially lobby for very heavy regulation, leading to a situation where the current players can't afford to meet the regulations and the tobacco companies get a monopoly on the market leading to huge prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Holland has banned e-cig containing nicotine, did it on xmass eve BION.

Was this ban in Holland coming down the tracks for a while, or did it come out of the blue??
    My question really is I suppose, when our crowd roll over and ban ecigs, will we see it coming in time to stock up on supplies??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Gryzor wrote: »
    Was this ban in Holland coming down the tracks for a while, or did it come out of the blue??
    My question really is I suppose, when our crowd roll over and ban ecigs, will we see it coming in time to stock up on supplies??

Why do these countries keep banning them anyway? Is it because of the lack of "regulation"? At least the UK seems to be somewhat supportive? Haven't heard anything about them being banned in Ireland yet?

Why do these countries keep banning them anyway?

Because vested interests don't want ecigs damaging their sales of tobacco or tobacco cessation products...they have lots of money and persuasion...

Gryzor wrote: »
    Because vested interests don't want ecigs damaging their sales of tobacco or tobacco cessation products...they have lots of money and persuasion...

Yep thats it and in Holland nicotine is classified as a medicine and e-cigs fit the definition of drug delivery device.
    Still not sure if it the entire thing or just nic containing liquid thats banned.
    I cant see a ban on batterys or carts being legal so DIY your own e-cig if they go that way. Banning nic containing liquid is already the way its done in Canada and some Scandinavian countries. With personal use import exemptions.
    I really would be fearful of either the pharma companies or the tobacco companies getting in on the act. They have the influence to affect regulation that favors them and will exert it. Also once e-cig become mainstream tax and excise will be applied.
    The future is not bright.

• Advertisement

Banning nic containing liquid is already the way its done in Canada and some Scandinavian countries. With personal use import exemptions.

Interesting, didn't know there were exemptions for personal use....sounds like it'd be a royal pain to police it...
    Also once e-cig become mainstream tax and excise will be applied.

Yeah, you're right. If they don't ban them, they'll tax the bejesus out of them...

Interesting, didn't know there were exemptions for personal use....sounds like it'd be a royal pain to police it...
    In Norway it a set volume of pure nic per user per year ???
    Imagine policing that?

Advertisement