Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 - 1000 mile challenge - How far have you run since Jan 1st?

• 31-12-2011 1:17pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭

New year*, new table, new format:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApYKSUtVQ4OodEtydGQ4bG5RY0tXeWNaMHU5QW5YdEE

Rather than repeatedly copying the tables into this thread we'll now have the table as a Google Docs spreadsheet. Just click on the link above and enter your boardsie name in column A and then how far your total miles are for the year in column C, or if you count in kilometres enter that in column D. If you want you can also enter you age/ gender category in column B.

Do not edit any other columns, except for the completion date when you have done your 1000miles. Do not edit the "Positions" sheet.

This thread can then be used for general nattering about what you did in your run that day, how many dogs chased you, did you get rained on, did you feel great and run an extra lap, did you feel crap and take a short cut...

*Well it is in Samoa since they moved the international date line yesterday.

Two points for everyone to remember -
    • If you make a mistake, remove someone else's details, anything like that DON'T CLOSE THE SPREADSHEET. That will save the changes. CTRL+Z to undo your changes first. If you don't understand how to do something, ask here on the thread.
    • Keep your own record of your runs, in case someone else deletes them by mistake.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Nice work, well done Robin. I think I might re-join the challenge having had so much downtime recently. One thing these challenges do is keep you honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I just scraped in over the 1000 mile mark in 2010, this year I passed 1500 a week or two ago - next year will be aiming for 2000. Anyone else?*

* if people post their predicted mileage, we could add it to a table!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

It be nice for the km to be calculated automatically when we enter the miles in. Is this possible?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

RayCun wrote: »
    I just scraped in over the 1000 mile mark in 2010, this year I passed 1500 a week or two ago - next year will be aiming for 2000. Anyone else?*

* if people post their predicted mileage, we could add it to a table!
    I think I did about 750'sih at the first attempt, then just shy of 1200 for 2010. Seem that for 2011 I still only managed just shy of 1200. I had been expecting to of covered more for 2011 as it felt as if I was out running more, guess I had just been doing too many short races.
    It be nice for the km to be calculated automatically when we enter the miles in. Is this possible?
    Well it is the 1000 mile challenge. ;)

I have added the calculation for the total kilometres covered to the "Positions" sheet. Do not change anything on that page, unless you really know what you are doing with Google Docs, it is auto magically copied and sorted by distance from the data entered in the "Sheet 1" page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭neilc

Would love to join in this year, great format. Only thing is, is there a time limit for joining cause I'm out ill/injured at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

neilc wrote: »
    Would love to join in this year, great format. Only thing is, is there a time limit for joining cause I'm out ill/injured at the minute.

The time limit is the year 2012. Anything you run within the next 365 days counts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Looks good. Fair play for putting the effort into this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Do you hit the 'Share' button after putting in your data or else how is it saved :confused: Don't want to break it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rollout

robinph wrote: »
    The time limit is the year 2012. Anything you run within the next 365 days counts

- Pedantic rollout :D

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Gonna give this a bash this year (well, next year - bout 3 hours left):p!

The spreadsheet looks much more manageable than the table, nice work!!

• Advertisement

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Do you hit the 'Share' button after putting in your data or else how is it saved :confused: Don't want to break it :)

It saves automatically every few seconds.Just to the right of the Help menu you'll see All changes saved

('Share is something else entirely)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

New year*, new table, new format:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApYKSUtVQ4OodEtydGQ4bG5RY0tXeWNaMHU5QW5YdEE

Rather than repeatedly copying the tables into this thread we'll now have the table as a Google Docs spreadsheet. Just click on the link above and enter your boardsie name in column A and then how far your total miles are for the year in column C, or if you count in kilometres enter that in column D. If you want you can also enter you age/ gender category in column B.

Do not edit any other columns, except for the completion date when you have done your 1000miles. Do not edit the "Positions" sheet.

This thread can then be used for general nattering about what you did in your run that day, how many dogs chased you, did you get rained on, did you feel great and run an extra lap, did you feel crap and take a short cut...

*Well it is in Samoa since they moved the international date line yesterday.

you can protect that sheet by ctrl clicking the sheetname and make it editable to only you.

It's cool watching multiple people adding their entries at the same time.

Will probably change the first sheet where we enter our data to alpha sort once the list gets a bit longer, otherwise you'll never be able to find your name in the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

As a long term defender of the old table, I have to say I am liking the ease of this new system.

Thanks Robin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

RacoonQueen, category: "vermin"! Brilliant!:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

pconn062 wrote: »
    RacoonQueen, category: "vermin"! Brilliant!:D

I might as well be honest. :)

....must .... resist .... Leeds ....jokes.....
    :pac:

Table looking good, and it is so much easier to update. Nice work robinph

• Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭opus

RayCun wrote: »

Table looking good, and it is so much easier to update. Nice work robinph

Just did an update there, big change compared to the ugliness of table editing!

Nice work indeed :)

Head hurts a bit too much today for me to be going out for any miles. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Great work Robinph.

It's cool watching multiple people adding their entries at the same time.

Will probably change the first sheet where we enter our data to alpha sort once the list gets a bit longer, otherwise you'll never be able to find your name in the list.

I think it should be sorted by most mileage, keep it as a league table. It shouldn't be that hard to find your name as you'll know roughly what mileage you've done so a quick scroll should see you right and people using upper and lower case has already ruined it :D and it would be nice to pick a nemesis based on those around you on similar mileage but great job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Rashers23

Table is excellent.
    Going to throw my name in the hopes that it will lead to added motivation for me this year.

Best of luck to everyone!:)

Woddle wrote: »
    I think it should be sorted by most mileage, keep it as a league table. It shouldn't be that hard to find your name as you'll know roughly what mileage you've done so a quick scroll should see you right and people using upper and lower case has already ruined it :D and it would be nice to pick a nemesis based on those around you on similar mileage but great job.

If you click on the "Positions" tab at the bottom then the table is auto sorted by distance. Or this is an html page of the data sorted by distance:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_GB&hl=en_GB&key=0ApYKSUtVQ4OodEtydGQ4bG5RY0tXeWNaMHU5QW5YdEE&single=true&gid=1&output=html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Great work robinph. So much easier than the old tables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Great work robinph. So much easier than the old tables.

+1 great work! I wasn't great at updating in 2011 but going to make a point of it at the end if every week for 2012. Hit 1630.5 for my first year of proper (regular) running in 2011 - would love to do 2000 next year.

Just started the year with a 5 miler at 7.55 - an unofficial pb for me :-D (official pb is 42.21 from race series during the summer!)

Thanks for that Robinph. Appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

+1 very easy to update (must admit I was a bit nervous in case I messed it up !). Thanks - now just need to keep getting out :) made it to just over 600 in 2011 - up about 200 from 2010. Might just make it in 2012 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Never been a HUGE fan of running but did a bit in December and funnily enough set myself a target of 1000 miles for 2012 only a few days ago. Just saw this thread now so I'm in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I have signed on for the first time also, I am a recreational runner but have planned to hit the streets with more frequency in 2012.

Some how I ended up going for a trail race today, I'm going to blame the beer consumed on Saturday that resulted in me saying yes to it. Stupid course up and down 7 hills in 7 miles of forest trails, very muddy, I went flying on one downhill so am a bit grazed, loads of dogs running as well that were set off a few minutes before us, and had to run through a couple of dark tunnels through a freezing cold stream and under a road.

The guy that roped me into doing this race didn't even turn up himself so we didn't have a full team. :mad:

Most importantly though I've now got some miles logged for this year. :D

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/138239199

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

tried adding today yet my name is gone from the first page along with pretty much everyone else and tried adding name again and putting mileage in however this comes up as a new user and the mileage doesn't add together.

I said would ask here rather than try add it to the position page

(I know that I am gonna feel like a right tit when I see where I am going wrong:o)

Advertisement