Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Big Irish Times Christmas Quiz 2011

• 28-12-2011 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Anybody doing this one. This goes on until Saturday with a start up of 50 questions last Saturday and finishing next Saturday.( 100 all together)

Here are a few I'm stuck on
    Q 25: The official winning song of the X Factor, by Little Mix, is a cover of a song originally writtten and performed by an Irish artist. Name the original singer and song.
    Q 36: What do Mairead Mc Guinness, Fergus Finlay and Labhrás O Murchú have in common. Could it be their birthday. (Only found one for Mc Guinness June 13th).
    Q 42: What British-American film series came to an end in July after 8 instalments and more than €5 billion in box-office receipts?
    Q 47: CHoose the odd one out of these films: X Men:First Class; The Thing; Rise of the Palanet of the Apes; Transformers: Dark of the Moon; Puss in Butts.

Haven't seen today's set of questions yet. Will give my answers if requested by any reader.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭snowfinch

Hi Vinpaul,

Can possibly help with 2 of these.

The X factor one is Damien Rice and Cannonball
    Think Q42 is Harry Potter - 8 films, finished last July but not sure of the American connection myself...still looking at it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Hi

Q47

The answer is "The Thing". It's a remake while the others or sequels/prequels/spin offs.

simple as!!!!!

Micar

• Registered Users Posts: 38 HOOL75

Could I have help with the following is possible please?

Q.15, 31, 32, 33, 35, 36, 40 & 50 :o

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

HOOL75 wrote: »
    Could I have help with the following is possible please?

Q.15, 31, 32, 33, 35, 36, 40 & 50 :o

Thanks!
    15 Possibly GLENROE. Finola Britton lives in Kilcoole
    31 Joan Burton (watch U-tube for a good laugh)
    32 Dun Laoghaire, I think, Hannifin Minister, Cuffe Junior Minister and Andrews Junior Minister
    33 Mary Coughlan - almost certain. She took over a string of ministries after the resignations of the big boys, Dempsey, O Keefe, Harney, Ryan, Gormley, as far as my memory can recall
    35 6th Dail 1927 I think, might need to be checked
    36 Dont know
    40 15
    50 Alec Guinness

Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 jayemedee

Q. 36. All hoped to get presidential nomination from political parties. Mairead McG from FG, Fergus F from Labour and Labhras from FF

Thanks, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dromusta

vinpaul wrote: »
    15 Possibly GLENROE. Finola Britton lives in Kilcoole
    31 Joan Burton (watch U-tube for a good laugh)
    32 Dun Laoghaire, I think, Hannifin Minister, Cuffe Junior Minister and Andrews Junior Minister
    33 Mary Coughlan - almost certain. She took over a string of ministries after the resignations of the big boys, Dempsey, O Keefe, Harney, Ryan, Gormley, as far as my memory can recall
    35 6th Dail 1927 I think, might need to be checked
    36 Dont know
    40 15
    50 Alec Guinness

Q40: Question refers to "Government" - Cabinet rather than TDs, I think. Would that make the answer 2 (O'Cuiv and Smith)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 meabhyellow

Anyone help with Q19-When it comes to contesting All-Ireland football finals, what unique distinction do Limerick and Donegal still share after the 2011 championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭NedLowry

Anyone help with Q19-When it comes to contesting All-Ireland football finals, what unique distinction do Limerick and Donegal still share after the 2011 championship?
    Not 100% sure, but are they the only counties to have won all the finals they have participated in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 smcorr

I think the film is Planet of the Apes. It is a reboot not a direct remake

• Registered Users Posts: 2 meabhyellow

NedLowry-That certainly checks out and is as good an answer as any! Thanks for your help-would never had got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bressi

Anyone have answer. to 56.

47 Puss in Boots ??? Animation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mickga

I think 47 is Transformers - its a sequel, all the others are prequels

• Registered Users Posts: 37 supersaintpats

prequel sounds v good.
    Q75 on Northern Ireland novelist... any info?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jayemedee

Q. 46. The film 'Bridesmaids'

Any thoughts on Q 19? 'unique distinction Limerick and Donegal still share after the 2011 championship - (All Ireland football finals).

Q75 on Northern Ireland novelist... any info?[/QUOTE]

Patrick mc Cabe??

bressi wrote: »
    Anyone have answer. to 56.

I think it's
    Noel Gallagher and Jefferson Airplane (High Flying Birds)

Patrick mccabe ??

• Advertisement

bressi wrote: »
    Patrick mccabe ??

Q75
    Benjamin Black (alter ego of John Banville)
    Which name do you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 brian 1985

harry potter

Dromusta wrote: »
    Q40: Question refers to "Government" - Cabinet rather than TDs, I think. Would that make the answer 2 (O'Cuiv and Smith)?
    Interesting point. I agree with you that 2 members of cabinet were returned to Dáil (Smith and Ó Cuiv). But of the outgoing government which included FF and Green members, the number returned was 16 FF and 0 Greens. B Lenihan died, which gave me 15 now in Dáil. Would like to hear other opinions on this one. Is it 2 or 15.

Wonder has anyone got 68 and 70
    68 "Which 2 research teams at CERN in Switzerland are leading the search for Higgins boson?"

70 "Name the effect responsible for the quantum levitation displayed by Tel Aviv University in October at the 2011 Association of Science and Technology centres"

For no 79 "What is the relationship between the characters Kevin Thunder and Gerard Spain in Neil Jordan's novel Mistaken, oublished in January"
    Is the answer that "they are one and the same person??"

They are physically identical but not related

vinpaul wrote: »
    Interesting point. I agree with you that 2 members of cabinet were returned to Dáil (Smith and Ó Cuiv). But of the outgoing government which included FF and Green members, the number returned was 16 FF and 0 Greens. B Lenihan died, which gave me 15 now in Dáil. Would like to hear other opinions on this one. Is it 2 or 15.

The term government is normally taken to apply to the cabinet only, so it is more than likely it does not refer to the government parties.

Dromusta wrote: »
    40 the term government is normally applied to the cabinet, not the government parties, so 2 is the most likely answer

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

I missed all the questions from yesterday (Thurs ) forgot to buy the paper due a big boiled head of a hangover. Would anybody mind putting them up. Just the questions. Pleeeeease

• Registered Users Posts: 12 meigeal

I am also missing Thursday as well as Tuesday as I didn't realise they were printing them then. However last year the Times reprinted the whole 100 on the 31 December so expect they will do the same this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 quizzard

What is the answer to q.75? It can't be Patrick McCabe as suggested by others as he set the questions and John Banville is from Wexford so it's not him either. Is it Colin Bateman?

Advertisement