Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anomalocaris' eyes reveal excellent eyesight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I never ever believed it was a plankton feeder, but I am often totally wrong, and kept my mouth shut.

Thanks for that post Adam, good depiction of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Allosaur

I never did. Who thought it ate plankton?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It has been suggested that Anomalocaris' teeth were too weak to take in hard bodied prey. I'm not sure anyone went so far to say it was a plankton eater though.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056079460

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    It has been suggested that Anomalocaris' teeth were too weak to take in hard bodied prey. I'm not sure anyone went so far to say it was a plankton eater though.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056079460

I'm pretty sure it was suggested at one point, with someone suggesting that the grasping appendages would function like a manta ray's cephalic "horns" while feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

That's an odd one. The seem awfully dexterous for that purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

To me the appendages look like they act like a primitive 'mask' as seen in dragon fly young. As I said earlier I am usually wrong but that thing always looked like a pretty fearsome marine predator to me.

They don't seem "paddle-like" enough to me to fit that theory Adam. They also seem to flex in to out, rather than twist side to side to direct water flow and food particles twords the central mouth like a rudder.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Allosaur wrote: »
    They don't seem "paddle-like" enough to me to fit that theory Adam. They also seem to flex in to out, rather than twist side to side to direct water flow and food particles twords the central mouth like a rudder.

Yeah- I am just mentioning that theory, not defending it.

Adam Khor wrote: »
    Yeah- I am just mentioning that theory, not defending it.
    Didn't think so. You are too smart for that. One wonders what the filiments on the Chelicerae are for though.

Advertisement