Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

theg81der wrote: »
    Judging by the replies here I`d say depression is normal, no stigma here infact the complete opposite I`m sure I`ll be shot down now for not agreeing. I have experienced all these things people talk about at one time or another and some but I don`t believe it is healthy to define it or get too involved in it. It just feels arrogant and self indulgent to me.

Have you felt them nonstop, for months on end with no respite?

Or were you just a bit sad for a while and think you have a clue what your on about?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I think its very unfair to label depression an intelligent persons disease. Your social circle consists of mainly people you perceive as intelligent i guess.
    There is certainly an established link between creativity and mental illness http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1720 http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/2003/10.23/01-creativity.html While creativity is usually thought of in terms or artists and the like, engineers, physicists, mathematicians etc can also be creative. People who can think out of the box seem more prone to having a slightly dodgy box in the first place. Which makes sense. Otherwise odd, out of the norm associations or original thinking in the mind may turn out to be correct or innovative, compared to a more "ordered" mind that won't or can't make such associations. Other conditions like Aspergers appear to be higher than background with creative types in many fields. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/3766697.stm

However O I'm not describing depression or other mental illnesses as an "intelligent persons disease". As you say that would be incorrect as it can affect anyone. Indeed some studies show a higher IQ helps in the treatment of such illnesses. Again this makes sense. More likely to be educated on the condition(s) and more likely to seek and most of all have access to professional help.

I was (badly)making the same point as Dev. IE a diagnosis of mental illness not a reflection on ones mental acuity.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Samich wrote: »
    Have to say these kinda threads remind me of the x factor and the likes where the guys come on and say they got bullied. Car crashes, murders, cancer affect everyone but there isn't any threads on it. sigh.

If you don't like it, don't read it. You're not obligated to, you know. There are plenty of threads on murders, car crashes and cancer. And you may be interested to know that Ireland had its highest year in the nation's history for suicide last year with 527 dead from suicide (not accounting for all those people whose deaths are written off as "accident"). Car crashes killed 212. So, given that depression killed more than car crashes did last year, is it okay with you that we talk about it here?

Further, you do know how a discussion site works, right? People discuss things they are interested in. Because it doesn't interest you, should we shut down every thread that causes you to "sigh" so dramatically?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

There have been a few threads about depression recently, and all of them have come to a point where people come on the thread who just don't understand it, don't want to understand, don't think its serious or real.

You should see their reaction to psychosis.

"You believed what???"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

So is your problem that you're seeing depression threads too much here? or just not enough about cancer?

Don't see a need for them. Just people crying out for attention. IMO.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »

"You believed what???"

Yeah, it's almost funny in a way. My parents, while being incredibly understanding about what i have been dealing with, were having a very hard time wrapping their head around some of the **** that has been going through my head the last year.

People's reactions to hearing the word "Schizophrenia" is even better. Thanks Hollywood.

Great post Dev.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

"You believed what???"

People fear what they don't understand and the usual reaction is either slag it off or ignore it completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Don't see a need for them. Just people crying out for attention. IMO.

you've no idea how hard it is to get to a point where you can talk about it, and now you've just gone and said that, which will no doubt have an effect on many people reading this, already feeling they shouldn't or can't. read what princess peach said above, heck if you look back on my posts in all the many depression threads you'll see exactly what i've faced when telling people about my depression.

don't get involved in something like this if you don't know anything about it AND don't care to.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

mod note:

OK folks. Excellent to read so much input so far on the whole.

Samich. Please do not post in this thread again. Folks please do not feel the need to reply to him further.

Let's not go down that route.

Report posts which cross the line and lets try and keep this thing on topic.

PM for clarification. Fair warning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

If you believe all that then I can tell you that you've probably never been depressed in a clinical sense.

I have been and I believe that everything I have said makes sense. Depression is not an issue when you are scraping to meet you most basic of need thats what the evidence points to. What exactly have I said thats wrong?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

My problem isnt my depression. Thats not why I wrote this. I have my depression under something resembling control. I still get it but I'm able to handle it myself.

My problem for the last 20 years has been people like you not having an understanding of it. The problem of most of the people on this thread is that you (ye) are poorly informed.

Most of my first post wasn't about me, I dont need or want your pity mate.I'm doing great! What I need is to get this message out there. Mostly to the non-affected. Mostly for the other people with depression.

This isnt my problem I'm solving. Its yours.

DeV.

Yeah, it's almost funny in a way. My parents, while being incredibly understanding about what i have been dealing with, were having a very hard time wrapping their head around some of the **** that has been going through my head the last year.

People's reactions to hearing the word "Schizophrenia" is even better. Thanks Hollywood.

Yeah I've got to explain Schizotypal to people now, that's fun.

I have been and I believe that everything I have said makes sense. Depression is not an issue when you are scraping to meet you most basic of need thats what the evidence points to. What exactly have I said thats wrong?

You've no idea what clinical depression is or what it looks like.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Hi folks.
    Samich banned. Some posts have been removed relating to that little dalliance. Please PM for clarification and carry on.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

mod note:

OK folks. Excellent to read so much input so far on the whole.

Samich. Please do not post in this thread again. Folks please do not feel the need to reply to him further.

Let's not go down that route please.

Please report posts which cross the line and lets try and keep this thing on topic.

PM for clarification. Fair warning.
    Oops. D'Oh.

Ok, but my point stands. I contend that the problem ISNT entirely with people who have this, they could deal with it if it werent for the misunderstandings of the gen.pop.
    In that sense Samwich is "on topic", oddly enough :)

As for explaining other mental illnesses... oh man, I dont think even I have the clarity of wordsmithing to do that. Sorry Nesf! :)
    I cant imagine what that must be like, but I'd say there is a black humour in it all the same :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'm not on about depression, depression is bad.

I'm on about people posting here!
    To be fair, almost everyone who has posted has had depression or has an interest in learning more about the condition. I believe that this is an excellent thread, anything that helps remove the stigma/fear associated with depression is to be welcomed in my opinion. It would be wonderful if it prompted even one person to seek help instead of suffering in silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

i'll look into them so. i got a couple of books before too. got to a point in my CBT one where you've to make a list of things that you like about yourself, and couldn't come up with a single thing. so that's where I stopped.

I like your genuineness (if that is a word?!)

Have you felt them nonstop, for months on end with no respite?

Or were you just a bit sad for a while and think you have a clue what your on about?

Since I was a child, 2 suicide attempts as a teen, treated and medicated. It all seems like a black cloud now like I was asleep. I got sick and believe it or not it saved me woke me up - when your fighting for your life (your basic needs) it changes your life.

ps: I've been swamped by people twittering, booking face and PMing me. Its all good. Its really been a blast. I didnt sleep last night so soon I will crash but its been an awesome (if tiring) day.

I'm gonna play some Defence Grid before bed. GlaDOS calls :)

DeV.

• Advertisement

Since I was a child, 2 suicide attempts as a teen, treated and medicated. It all seems like a black cloud now like I was asleep. I got sick and believe it or not it saved me woke me up - when your fighting for your life (your basic needs) it changes your life.

Well you'll need to forgive for not buying into your Tyler Durden school of thought on it. You went through the ****, no doubt, but that doesn't mean whatever caused it for you and helped you out of it will work for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 TaxationTheft

Have to say these kinda threads remind me of the x factor and the likes where the guys come on and say they got bullied. Car crashes, murders, cancer affect everyone but there isn't any threads on it. sigh.

Point is, this thread is for people who have experienced Depression. The context dictates the topic of discussion, do you understand this?

FWIW - The poor research into the causes of Depression leads to ignorant comments like the above. At least I hope so. People associate mental illness with "crazy" and "drugs" and Psychiatrists etc. The most rational person I knew was actually very severely depressed.

Was he crazy? God no. This guy was probably the most rational logical thinker I have come across. Those that do not understand Depression, are condemed to write it off. Ignorance is bliss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I just have.... really bad self injuring instincts. It does me no good, I know, I just do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I like your genuineness (if that is a word?!)

thanks

I get what you're saying, but what others are saying in response is that clinical depression is not something like that. of course if you're starving and homeless then your concerns are feeding yourself and protecting yourself, getting enough to survive, and so on as you move up through the chain. we can understand that. and what you're saying, i think, is that humans are so well off our minds don't have anything 'real' to worry about, and hence comes on the depression. it's not a real illness. and to a point I may agree. but
    1) it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist-ie it's a real problem as is. what's the solution, make everyone homeless so they can appreciate their real needs?
    2) the theory goes that clinical depression is the form that is chemical and has to be treated-ie can't be ignored away no matter how much people say it can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Aware have a lot of literature on their website addressing just what you're talking about: http://www.aware.ie/help/literature/

There is also more info here: http://www.aware.ie/help/information/supporting_a_loved_one/

I think it has to be acknowledged that helping a loved one through depression can be frustrating and draining at times. This isn't to move the focus off the person suffering with depression but I think it's important to acknowledge it.

Thanks, Earthhorse. In some ways the "you don't understand!" attitude is as unhelpful as "pull yourself together!" from the opposite side, and we'll never get anywhere like that, particularly when most efforts - and those spent by people fighting the illness itself - seem like trying to play chess with a ninja.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kierjan

I have skipped all bar the OP. Thanks so much for sharing. I have a friend and a sibling who suffer from depression. I really appreciate how candid you have been. I think this is the very best thing you can do and I just wish more people, whether they have depression or know somebody who has or not could just be open and discuss it like you just have. Thanks again

Please don`t put words in my mouth I don`t agree with Tyler Durden`s philosophy.

I don`t think it`s healthy thou to be supporting the notion that happiness or even contentment is a natural state. I think thats a dangerous idea and leads to unrealistic expectation maybe thats part of the problem. I also think its a fundamental misunderstanding of human nature.

I should have added I absolutely believe in very real chemical imbalances that alter people sense of reality particularly in women eg. pcos and pms and I see them as a very physical problem.

Please don`t put words in my mouth I don`t agree with Tyler Durden`s philosophy.

I don`t think it`s healthy thou to be supporting the notion that happiness or even contentment is a natural state. I think thats a dangerous idea and leads to unrealistic expectation maybe thats part of the problem. I also think its a fundamental misunderstanding of human nature.

Reread what i posted.

I don`t think it`s healthy thou to be supporting the notion that happiness or even contentment is a natural state. I think thats a dangerous idea and leads to unrealistic expectation maybe thats part of the problem. I also think its a fundamental misunderstanding of human nature..

There are normal highs and normal lows. You're right it isn't normal to be happy or content all the time. That doesn't mean depression, and mania, don't exist though. Depression is normal unhappiness taken to an extreme beyond normal bounds of human behaviour and experience. It's a fundamentally different thing to something normal like grieving after the death of a loved one.

• Advertisement

Reread what i posted.

Sorry I have dyslexia reading is not my strong suit :o

Advertisement