Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If we ever got invaded...

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Fiatach

Nevore wrote: »
    But a majority north and south now support the partition. We even voted to give up our constitutional claims.

The constitutional claims were worthless and the free state constitution is meaningless if the all Ireland Republic rose up and took precedence over the two states in Ireland which were designed by Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

Fiatach wrote: »
    The constitutional claims were worthless and the free state constitution is meaningless if the all Ireland Republic rose up and took precedence over the two states in Ireland which were designed by Britain.
    I too am in favour of the vocal minority rising up and imposing their will on the majority.
    Sarcasm.

Evade wrote: »
    I too am in favour of the vocal minority rising up and imposing their will on the majority.
    Sarcasm.

The hoardes of plebs can't do it without a kick up the rear from the ''respectable minority''. 1916 was proof of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

The hoardes of plebs can't do it without a kick up the rear from the ''respectable minority''. 1916 was proof of that.

Respectable minority? How about a fascist elite who place greater value over dead mythologised heroes (Pearse, Tone) than electoral democracy to the extent that it resembles a homoerotic cult. (Complete with virtuous heroes and pantomine national villains)

Irish Republicanism as you speak of it is dead, thankfully. The civilised world rejected militancy as an acceptable form of political dissent long ago (At least under a constitutional system that permits consensual political change) Take the blinkers off.

Denerick wrote: »
    Respectable minority? How about a fascist elite who place greater value over dead mythologised heroes (Pearse, Tone) than electoral democracy to the extent that it resembles a homoerotic cult. (Complete with virtuous heroes and pantomine national villains)

Irish Republicanism as you speak of it is dead, thankfully. The civilised world rejected militancy as an acceptable form of political dissent long ago (At least under a constitutional system that permits consensual political change) Take the blinkers off.

The ''respectable minority'' was coined by James Connolly describing the minority in each generation and urged further generations to do the same. If you describe the leaders of 1916 as a fascist elite well, thats your prerogative.

• Advertisement

The ''respectable minority'' was coined by James Connolly describing the minority in each generation and urged further generations to do the same. If you describe the leaders of 1916 as a fascist elite well, thats your prerogative.

I know, a horrible legacy to leave a nation (Constant warfare and bitterness) Not only are the leaders of 1916 a bunch of fascist elitists, so are the provos throughout the Troubles and the current crop of dissident Republicans. They place the opinions of the dead over that of their countrymen, and call themselves patriots?

You know that Connolly once called Pearse a blithering idiot? Smart chap that one.

I know, a horrible legacy to leave a nation (Constant warfare and bitterness) Not only are the leaders of 1916 a bunch of fascist elitists, so are the provos throughout the Troubles and the current crop of dissident Republicans. They place the opinions of the dead over that of their countrymen, and call themselves patriots?

You know that Connolly once called Pearse a blithering idiot? Smart chap that one.

You can't blame people fighting for Irish freedom for creating war. Were would Ireland be if we were stuck with spineless people like you?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Hate to sh*t in your cornflakes kid but be very idea of Ireland as a single nation was invented by the English. Even under Brian Boru smaller kingships remained.

kieranfitz wrote: »
    Hate to sh*t in your cornflakes kid but be very idea of Ireland as a single nation was invented by the English. Even under Brian Boru smaller kingships remained.

Hardly an English invention when it what the high kings of Ireland such as Ruaidrí Ua Conchobair aimed for.... England wanted Ireland as a enslaved nation under their rule not as a 'single nation'.

You can't blame people fighting for Irish freedom for creating war. Were would Ireland be if we were stuck with spineless people like you?

Read some political philosophy.

And I happen to believe that the spineless people are those who make excuses for people who murder mothers-of-ten and who blow up shopping centers.

Spineless indeed.

• Advertisement

Read some political philosophy.

And I happen to believe that the spineless people are those who make excuses for people who murder mothers-of-ten and who blow up shopping centers.

Spineless indeed.

Pearse and Connolly who you call fascists will always be remembered for having a backbone. No-one will remember the likes of you. It doesn't matter how many children British spies have. Put away the violin.

Pearse and Connolly who you call fascists will always be remembered for having a backbone. No-one will remember the likes of you. It doesn't matter how many children British spies have. Put away the violin.

There is always someone wrong on the internet.

Sometimes the prudent thing to do is to just walk away.

There is always someone wrong on the internet.

Sometimes the prudent thing to do is to just walk away.

Away you go..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Too late the invasion is full swing right now

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056954386

Derry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Kerry

Id go to kerry. No matter who invaded they wouldnt go near the county for fear of the locals

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Kerry

Id go to kerry. No matter who invaded they wouldnt go near the county for fear of the locals

North Kerry in particular... While south Kerry may be the home of strokes and cute hoorism, it's north Kerry where they take being belligerent, awkward and difficult (pretty much for the sake of it) to all time highs...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

Kerry is defo the place to go! I'd know I live there! I know of a few nice hiding spots!

I'd get my army reserve gear, get the lads together and go missing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

i for one would welcome our Russian overlords

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

fergus1001 wrote: »
    i for one would welcome our Russian overlords

lol, You bump back a year long tread for that comment.

i think the whole Ukraine situation brought it back to the fore sorry though :(

• Advertisement

i think the whole Ukraine situation brought it back to the fore sorry though :(

lol. I done it many a time!.

Just out of curiosity why would you welcome the Russian's would it not be in the fiber of ever man women and child to defend their country, home and family.{Not the Government}.

I mean the Defence Forces would quickly resort to hit and run tactics, Even after calling up 100,000 reserves to fill the ranks, PDF is organised to handle such a vast intake quickly because of its already commission and non-commission officers.

lol. I done it many a time!.

Just out of curiosity why would you welcome the Russian's would it not be in the fiber of ever man women and child to defend their country, home and family.{Not the Government}.

I mean the Defence Forces would quickly resort to hit and run tactics, Even after calling up 100,000 reserves to fill the ranks, PDF is organised to handle such a vast intake quickly because of its already commission and non-commission officers.

Ireland has a tin can army compared to even Russia and we would be bludgeoned to death on the battlefield in a straight up fight since we have zero air cover for infantry and still have propeller planes as interceptors

our only hope would be to resort to an IRA style army and attack the wolverines and retreat back into the crowds and hope to instil enough fear in the enemy that they will pull out of Ireland

but then again we could just get nuked and thats the end of it really

and also the fact that we are a corrupt trash hole of a country so we would be right at home with the Russians with similar tendencies :)

Ireland has a tin can army compared to even Russia and we would be bludgeoned to death on the battlefield in a straight up fight since we have zero air cover for infantry and still have propeller planes as interceptors

our only hope would be to resort to an IRA style army and attack the wolverines and retreat back into the crowds and hope to instil enough fear in the enemy that they will pull out of Ireland

but then again we could just get nuked and thats the end of it really

and also the fact that we are a corrupt trash hole of a country so we would be right at home with the Russians with similar tendencies :)

Well Russia has a Military expenditure of about 90 Billion compared to Ireland 2 billion, So when you say even compared to Russia i'm not quite sure what your on about.

PDF would never try to fight the Russian in the open conflict, And the PDF would be quite good at gorilla warfare.

Nukes would never be used on us.

Are you speaking for yourself here, Because any Irish person i know would not refer to themselves as corrupt and a trash hole. Same to the Russian people.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Caveat_

It depends on what our invaders end game was. If they wanted to occupy and that was it, I would probably keep my head down and flee the country with my family as soon as it was safe.

It they wanted all out genocide. I'd take to the hills and try and leave the country via NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

I think Ireland (republic) has gotten away with murder compared to other countries in regards to war over the past century. We are in a pretty strategic position between America and UK and yet the axis forces didn't invade. During the troubles we had what two bombing (although big ones) where as the UK mainland had dozens and the north must have had hundreds.

macnug wrote: »
    I think Ireland (republic) has gotten away with murder compared to other countries in regards to war over the past century. We are in a pretty strategic position between America and UK and yet the axis forces didn't invade. During the troubles we had what two bombing (although big ones) where as the UK mainland had dozens and the north must have had hundreds.

Iceland would be a much better position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

The Americans would sort us out quickly. Losing a war to America is the best way to get money off them.

Truer words have never been spoken

Advertisement