Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Great post!

I have suffered from (suffered from?..hate saying that) a mental illness (borderline personality disorder) for years. Been to counselling/therapy on and off since I was 15. Been on and off different medications since then too. It will always be there, but it comes and goes. I can be perfectly fine and normal for months and then out of nowhere will just turn completely dark and scary and lock myself in my room for days crying and self-harming. And then when I am ok (like right now!) I can't even imagine how I can feel so down. And when I'm down I can't imagine ever feeling happy again. I find it very hard to stay in any kind of relationships too, so I just avoid them.

Do get help if you think you suffer from depression. I use not think councelling helped me at all when I was younger. It was a chore. But thinking back on it it probably saved my life. It's a scary place to be in.

Don't really talk about it much. I have warped opinions on the whole mental health thing that usually just piss people off. So I tend to shut up about it most of the time.

There have been so many people I know (or know of) in the past year that have committed suicide, though. They could have been helped. More awareness needs to be made. Especially in small towns.
    You and me both.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah,I was very surprised when my GP told me that there was a HSE Community Mental Health clinic in my area,I passed by the building everyday and I never even knew it existed til I was actually referred there.And I definitely wasn't expecting their services to be free!

I was picturing some sort of one flew over the cuckoos nest scenario when I went there the first time,but it couldn't have been any more different.

All the staff I've dealt with down there from psychiatrist's to psychologists to the nurse's,were brilliant,and very supportive.

I was seeing a great psychologist there for nearly a year too and was making good progress according to him,but unfortunately he had to return to his home country and the HSE wont be replacing him,which kind of sucks.
    This. Read This.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

nesf wrote: »
    Want some book recommendations that I've found fairly good?

yeah, cant hurt. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

It's sad though if everyone who needed help came out tomorrow we would never be able to cope.
    I don't feel like nothing, I do feel sad deflated and like I'm outside of my own body watching someone elses life roll out but hey that just goes to show how everyone is different no matter if we share the same label.

And different things help different folk but its more than helplines and health services, clubs, activities, purpose and SUPPORT can all heal and maintain health if everyone did come out of the mental health closet tomorrow we still wouldn't be in as much of a crisis as the one we are in now concerning attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I hate the disassociation part of it. Not all people get it I would imagine, but the feeling of day dreaming all day but not actually day dreaming about anything is very discomforting. Hated that feeling!

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

One thing I want to clarify is the "IQ" thing. My point is not that it correlates to high IQ... thats kinda silly (and yes, I may have implied it but it was not my intent).

My point is that it certainly doesnt correlate with low IQ or sub par mental faculty.

Also, I full support the idea of trying more than one doctor/psych. I'm horrified that any doctor would dismiss someone's request for help. I'd rather 100 false positives than send one genuine case away.

But if you have a bad experience with one doc, DONT GIVE UP. Feck him/her and try someone else.

If you had a bad pint in a pub, would you never drink again? No, you'd find another pub.

DeV.
    ps: This has been great for me too, this whole day. Emotional but good no, great. This is what Boards is for. This is why it exists and why I wanted it to exist. I'm humbled and chuffed at the same time. Thank you.
    Take the step, trust just once more and if you need anything, come talk.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I hate the disassociation part of it. Not all people get it I would imagine, but the feeling of day dreaming all day but not actually day dreaming about anything is very discomforting. Hated that feeling!

It's horrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭leonvquinn

Great post DeVore.

Been there done that re depression & suicide...ran in the family here. Glad to say I have some measure of control now.

Here's something I wrote a year or 2 on the anniversary of my mother's suicide. It was healing to write:

http://www.leonquinn.ie/209/my-mother-10-years-gone-today/

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Quite an amount of interest in this thread.

A ray of hope, perhaps: After an initial serious episode over ten years ago, visit to GP, referral to psychologist, referral to psychiatrist and this within 24 hours, the psychiatrist who is head of department in the regional hospital gave me his mobile phone and told me to call him at any time I needed help. It was above and beyond what I would have expected of him and, though I never felt the need to use the option, it gave me a great sense of security and that there was help there should I need it.

I had many subsequent visit with him, settled into a medication regime and brought life into control. Later, eased off the medication and am now without it for nearly three years. I have to be very aware of myself and my moods and very honest with my wife so that I don't allow an episode develop. So far, I am managing well. Well, to qualify that I did need to take early retirement so, I suppose, "managing" is the accurate description of my present situation. I would not be fit for a workplace, find social occasions challenging, avoid them regularly but, generally, I manage.

Depression is a frightful nuisance but not a hopeless situation. After all, from previous posts, it seems 25% of the population is living with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

yeah, cant hurt. thanks.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming-Anxiety-Helen-Kennerley/dp/1849010714/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323726603&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming-Depression-recovery-self-help-programme/dp/1849010668/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323726623&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindfulness-Plain-English-20th-Anniversary/dp/0861719069/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323726647&sr=8-2

I've found the Overcoming series very good (they're CBT based approaches to dealing with issues) and the last book is a great introduction to meditation which has been shown in studies to be beneficial for depression, anxiety and other mental health conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Unique User Name

I genuinely had no idea what depression was before reading this thread. Great opening post and I am sure will probably become one of the most thanked post in boards history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming-Anxiety-Helen-Kennerley/dp/1849010714/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323726603&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming-Depression-recovery-self-help-programme/dp/1849010668/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323726623&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindfulness-Plain-English-20th-Anniversary/dp/0861719069/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323726647&sr=8-2

I've found the Overcoming series very good (they're CBT based approaches to dealing with issues) and the last book is a great introduction to meditation which has been shown in studies to be beneficial for depression, anxiety and other mental health conditions.

This is also a very good book and used by a lot of professionals...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Relaxation-Reduction-Workbook-Harbinger-Self-Help/dp/1572245492/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323726951&sr=1-1

There are some wonderful stress and depression counsellors/therapists out there throughout Ireland...for those of you who feel a family member is suffering from it, or if you feel you need to talk to someone yourself, www.aware.ie is a good place to start...

If your company provides an EAP service (many do but not all employees know this)...these services are confidential and the company never knows who attends....

Edit ...just to explain....EAP stands for employee assistance programme...pretty much every big corporate firm would fund 5 or 6 free visits to a counsellor ....the counsellors have a telephone number you phone and appoint you a counsellor based on your geographic location and/ or specific issue....(you don't have to attend in your geographic area but obviously it might be handier for you). Your company is then billed without your name mentioned.....

i'll look into them so. i got a couple of books before too. got to a point in my CBT one where you've to make a list of things that you like about yourself, and couldn't come up with a single thing. so that's where I stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

I didn't notice much AH style shenanigans in this thread!:D

I posted a few pages back, I've read through most of the thread and I thought I'd say a bit more.

As stated before, try a different doctor, try a different Councillor, try a different antidepressant, try support groups. Try exercise, get a sun lamp, eat bananas, try, try, try again, try different combinations in different ways. If something doesn't work for you, don't give up, keep trying.

The first and most important thing for you to do is to find a GP that understands depression and has the time to help you. I don't want to sound glib, but if you walk out of the GP's office and you're not saying to yourself "He/she gets it!" Then walk across the road to another one and try again.

I need to see my GP, because I need to go back onto antidepressants for a while, my GP usually has a waiting list of about a week, when I call he sees me the same day (after hours if necessary). He remembers the last conversation we had, the last treatment we tried and he is (with my permission) in contact with my psychologist and knows how I'm doing. The first time I went to see him about depression, he wrote me two undated sick notes (without me asking) saying that I had a stomach bug/flu, they were for use whenever I needed them so my job wouldn't freak out at me taking a few sick days when I couldn't get out of bed. That is a doctor that understands depression! Keep trying until you get one like that :-)

The brain is a very complex beast and everyone is different, managing or resolving depression in you may be as easy as taking a pill for 6 months, or it may be a frustrating and drawn out experience over years. Eventually however, with work, you'll get there.

I've been sad and felt grief in my life like most people, it sucks but it's life, it's not depression. Before you decide that you're depressed, or worse, before you decide that a loved one is just a bit down, read and learn, understand before you make your mind up.

I'm not the best as the moment, but in the last year, for the first time in my life I KNOW that my depression and anxiety is manageable, I KNOW that in time it will play a smaller role in my life.

The speed that this thread grew at today and the large number of posters has cheered me up, it's great to know that I'm not alone, it's great to see that others are fighting this too. (Not great that people are depressed, obviously!!)

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Have to say these kinda threads remind me of the x factor and the likes where the guys come on and say they got bullied. Car crashes, murders, cancer affect everyone but there isn't any threads on it. sigh.

Samich wrote: »
    Have to say these kinda threads remind me of the x factor and the likes where the guys come on and say they got bullied. Car crashes, murders, cancer affect everyone but there isn't any threads on it. sigh.

Um, go to Long Term Illness if you want to read cancer threads tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Start one and see what happens maybe?

Um, go to Long Term Illness if you want to read cancer threads tbh.

Hmm what's the difference? Cancer kills more people than depression.

Start one and see what happens maybe?

Most likely moved or locked.

there's been a good few threads in AH on cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Hmm what's the difference? Cancer kills more people than depression.

War has killed more people than cancer, better shut down the cancer threads :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Like i said, give it a shot, then you have valid point.

Till then it's just negativity for the sake of it tbh.

there's been a good few threads in AH on cancer.

Also been a thread on depression not too long ago, stickied and everything. Remember the offers of pms and all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Judging by the replies here I`d say depression is normal, no stigma here infact the complete opposite I`m sure I`ll be shot down now for not agreeing. I have experienced all these things people talk about at one time or another and some but I don`t believe it is healthy to define it or get too involved in it. It just feels arrogant and self indulgent to me.

The World is sad, horrific and brutal its not changing and I don`t want to forget that there are people out there suffering right this second, how can I care about mundain details when I know how fruitless it is and how inaffective any change I make can be - you can`t change nature.

There are people right now being raped, tortured, murdered - maybe even next door to you, their only need is to live, eat and have warmth they don`t get to climb Maslows pyramid* to even consider their next layer of need. We`re not complicated and you don`t have to be a genius to understand that we simply have too much and thats our problem.

*http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/60/Maslow%27s_Hierarchy_of_Needs.svg/450px-Maslow%27s_Hierarchy_of_Needs.svg.png

Maybe depression is a natural state and not something wrong maybe anything else is just a break with reality. Yes you can choose to seek and find happiness and it will make you happy but I don`t think its real its just choosing to experience something in a particular way.

Also been a thread on depression not too long ago, stickied and everything. Remember the offers of pms and all?

So is your problem that you're seeing depression threads too much here? or just not enough about cancer?

got to a point in my CBT one where you've to make a list of things that you like about yourself, and couldn't come up with a single thing. so that's where I stopped.

A lot of people in this thread have been in that place. The only thing that I can say to you is that it stops eventually, might not seem that way now but you will come out of this.

theg81der wrote: »
    Judging by the replies here I`d say depression is normal, no stigma here infact the complete opposite I`m sure I`ll be shot down now for not agreeing. I have experienced all these things people talk about at one time or another and some but I don`t believe it is healthy to define it or get too involved in it. It just feels arrogant and self indulgent to me.

The World is sad, horrific and brutal its not changing and I don`t want to forget that there are people out there suffering right this second, how can I care about mundain details when I know how fruitless it is and how inaffective any change I make can be - you can`t change nature.

There are people right now being raped, tortured, murdered - maybe even next door to you, their only need is to live, eat and have warmth they don`t get to climb Maslows pyramid* to even consider their next layer of need. We`re not complicated and you don`t have to be a genius to understand that we simply have too much and thats our problem.

*http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/60/Maslow%27s_Hierarchy_of_Needs.svg/450px-Maslow%27s_Hierarchy_of_Needs.svg.png

Maybe depression is a natural state and not something wrong maybe anything else is just a break with reality. Yes you can choose to seek and find happiness and it will make you happy but I don`t think its real its just choosing to experience something in a particular way.

If you believe all that then I can tell you that you've probably never been depressed in a clinical sense.

A lot of people in this thread have been in that place. The only thing that I can say to you is that it stops eventually, might not seem that way now but you will come out of this.

thanks but what i meant is that I couldn't proceed in the book without having gone through that part. and thinking now... I still don't have anything to write. I will, at some point, take a look at some books, but it's hard to have any hope for anything at this point.

thanks but what i meant is that I couldn't proceed in the book without having gone through that part. and thinking now... I still don't have anything to write. I will, at some point, take a look at some books, but it's hard to have any hope for anything at this point.

Yeah, been there. Used to buy books then never read them. Had to get a fair bit better before I was able to sit down and read a book on any topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

There have been a few threads about depression recently, and all of them have come to a point where people come on the thread who just don't understand it, don't want to understand, don't think its serious or real.

I'm afraid to tell people in real life about my illness, because you never know how they will react. I don't know what I would do if I confided in a friend and was met with one of those type of responses. I have been before by someone I was very close to. It caused me to just stop talking about it, hiding a big part of myself from someone important to me and is possibly one of the reasons the relationship deterioted, because I was afraid to talk about how I felt.

If people have opinions about how real and serious they think depression isn't, fair enough I guess. I assume these people have read through the entire threads before they start bashing it and their opinions have not been swayed otherwise. But I find it very inconsiderate to post it in a thread where people are suffering from this. I have seen so many of these threads descend into debates about the effectiveness on medication or psychiatry, but I really think if you have no first hand experience with anything like this, don't post then!

This thread has been going lovely all day, hope it continues as such :)

Advertisement