Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tender Watch for Roads!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Tuesday 29th November - 3 Notices:

1) Tender: N59 Moycullen Southern Approach Overlay 2011 (Galway County Council);

2) Tender: N62 Birr to Ballinahown Realignment Scheme (Offaly CC);

3) Contract Notice: N5 Ballaghaderreen Bypass Road Project - Design Build Contract (Roscommon CC).

Something at last after a long dry period since Wednesday's notices. Notice #3 is the one we've all been waiting for: 13.6km of Single Type 1 with 1 river bridge, 5 road bridges, 1 accommodation structure and 8.8km of local road realignment. Roll on the the N4 Downs Grade Separation and M1 Lissenhall Upgrade projects.

Regards! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kennykill

I can only imagine the amount of under-cutting that's going to go on for the Ballaghaderreen bypass! This project won't generate many new jobs but at least there's a lifeline of sorts for some lucky people!

kennykill wrote: »
    I can only imagine the amount of under-cutting that's going to go on for the Ballaghaderreen bypass! This project won't generate many new jobs but at least there's a lifeline of sorts for some lucky people!

Along with the N5 Longford Bypass, it should provide jobs indirectly by improved competitiveness - journey times should become more reliable. I'm very surprised that Strokestown isn't bypassed - from a map, it seems like a very simple job as this map shows very clearly. Even with the potential archeological minefield facing an N5 upgrade around Tulsk and Frenchpark, I see no reason why a short Type 2 Single Carriageway can't be built.

Regards!

Wednesday 30th November - 1 Notice:

1) Contract Notice: Transport Planning Services Framework (NRA).

#1: Does this look like a new national road needs study? I certainly think there's an element of it in the services that the NRA is procuring - different aspects concerning National Roads at local, regional and national level. There's also Demand Management and ITS involved as well as a study of the 2011 census for traffic forecasting purposes.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kennykill

Along with the N5 Longford Bypass, it should provide jobs indirectly by improved competitiveness - journey times should become more reliable. I'm very surprised that Strokestown isn't bypassed - from a map, it seems like a very simple job as this map shows very clearly. Even with the potential archeological minefield facing an N5 upgrade around Tulsk and Frenchpark, I see no reason why a short Type 2 Single Carriageway can't be built.

Regards!

Money my dear Watson, money! Gonna take any bets on who wins the Ballaghaderreen job!?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm very surprised that Strokestown isn't bypassed - from a map, it seems like a very simple job as this map shows very clearly. Even with the potential archeological minefield facing an N5 upgrade around Tulsk and Frenchpark, I see no reason why a short Type 2 Single Carriageway can't be built.
    !

I actually suspect Strokestown would plead NOT to be bypassed. Town's in bits financially, the hotel (which is in examinership) is likely living off its remaining passing trade, ditto their petrol stations.

I've never been wildly delayed there, however a bypass that re-profiled the bend on entry from the Dublin side (couldn't go straight on, think its the GAA club there) and cut across would definitely save a few minutes and help reduce emissions from traffic slowing and speeding up for the entry bends and the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

I'm very surprised that Strokestown isn't bypassed - from a map, it seems like a very simple job.

Often wondered the same, you can see the road on the other side of the town as you turn in, completely daft that the short gap was never joined. Surely Roscommon Co.Co. could see fit to fund simple project like this somehow. Though given their history doubt Ballaghaderreen would be happening without the Mayo links. If it doesn't link the county town they can't be bothered.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Neworder79 wrote: »
    Often wondered the same, you can see the road on the other side of the town as you turn in, completely daft that the short gap was never joined. Surely Roscommon Co.Co. could see fit to fund simple project like this somehow. Though given their history doubt Ballaghaderreen would be happening without the Mayo links. If it doesn't link the county town we can't be bothered.

Ballaghadereen's bypass is, by standards of what we're getting built now and comparison to this, MASSIVE though.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

Tuesday 29th November - 3 Notices:

2) Tender: N62 Birr to Ballinahown Realignment Scheme (Offaly CC);

Regards! :)

The removal of the bad bend near Derrinlough is badly needed. There are crashes here on average of 1 to 2 per month. They widened a bit of the road on the Cloghan (Athlone) side of this bend about 6 years ago which made the bend much worse.

Thursday 1st December - 2 Notices:

1) Tender: N59 Road Projects - English to Irish Translation Services (Galway County Council);

2) Tender: Minor Pavement Road Repairs (Westmeath CC).

#1 - There must still be some work going ahead along the N59 despite the recession - AFAIK, there's a Type 3 Single Carriageway project in the vicinity of Maam Cross - maybe this will be included as the N59 is surely a tourist route - isn't tourist routes included in the new capital programme? - I suppose, we'll just have to wait and see. :confused:

Regards!

• Advertisement

Fri 2nd December - 3 Notices:

1) Award: Multi-Party Framework Agreement for the Supply of De-Icing Salt for Regional and Local Roads (NRA);

2) Award: NRA Multi Party Framework Agreement For The Supply Of De-Icing Salt For National Roads (NRA);

3) Award: N4 The Downs Grade Separation Design Build Contract (Westmeath CC).

#3 - SIAC has got the job - as well as the New Interchange and associated roads, the project includes the overlay of 5.7km of Dual Carriageway. AKAIK, the plan is to remodel the current at-grade dual carriageway (no hard shoulders) to the standard Type 1 Dual Carriageway. Even though each carriageway will increase from 9.5m to 10.5m, the overall profile will be narrowed as a RCB will replace the current grass median - I saw the WCC plans (PDF Document) to reconstruct the road from the centre out. Full list of Part 8 overlay documents here!

Regards!

kennykill wrote: »
    Money my dear Watson, money! Gonna take any bets on who wins the Ballaghaderreen job!?

Regarding Strokestown, I'd say a short simple bypass (Single Type 2 with 2 Roundabouts) would pay for itself in no time.

Regarding Ballaghaderreen, I'll take a guess and say BAM - are they doing anything at the minute in Ireland?

MYOB wrote: »
    I actually suspect Strokestown would plead NOT to be bypassed. Town's in bits financially, the hotel (which is in examinership) is likely living off its remaining passing trade, ditto their petrol stations.

I've never been wildly delayed there, however a bypass that re-profiled the bend on entry from the Dublin side (couldn't go straight on, think its the GAA club there) and cut across would definitely save a few minutes and help reduce emissions from traffic slowing and speeding up for the entry bends and the roundabout.

Regarding the possibility that Strokestown wouldn't want a bypass - it is typical of the faulty thinking that exists in various parts of the country (N21 in Limerick, N11 in Wexford for example). My take on it is that a good quality road without needless delays or inconvenience would make a region more attractive which should be of benefit to the region as a whole - such would include the towns that are bypassed - especially with greater safety, improved environments and better access. Then there are the points you made regarding emissions not to mention the wear and tear on the cars etc.

Regards!

Can't find a full link online, but Kildare CC are advertising for civil engineers and similar (3 jobs) for a middling-sized job* on the R402. Doing that suggests they may be planning to do it with their own works dept maybe? They put out a pre-qual for it as a tender during the summer: http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=JUL241775

*10km mostly online but including bypass, from memory.

MYOB wrote: »
    Can't find a full link online, but Kildare CC are advertising for civil engineers and similar (3 jobs) for a middling-sized job* on the R402. Doing that suggests they may be planning to do it with their own works dept maybe? They put out a pre-qual for it as a tender during the summer: http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=JUL241775

*10km mostly online but including bypass, from memory.

Yes, I remember this notice and was very surprised by it's appearance - especially given the timing of July (this year). 8.9km of this scheme is going to be a Type 1 (12.3m) Single Carriageway - that section alone is bigger than the N3 Belturbet Bypass project. 1.4km will be of Type 2 Single Carriageway standard while further 0.7km will be Type 3 - that's 11km in all - a big project even by National Road standards! I wonder if anyone can get their hands on a scheme layout map for the project. It seriously looks like this project is going ahead - it must be funded from the Council's own coffers.

Regards!

I took a little trip today on the N51 from Drogheda to Slane and N2 from there to Balrath Cross (nearly halfway to the M2 Rath Roundabout) from which I'll make 2 observations. Firstly it looks like the N51 Littlegrange Realignment (800m) in Louth is commencing - there were roadworks signs up along this stretch of road! I was actually caught out a little by the bends - how the sense urgency regarding these works hit me!

Secondly, there is major work going on at the N2/R150 intersection North of Balrath Cross in Meath. This junction has been dangerous for quite some time and it's great to see that there's something being done about it now. However, I saw nothing about it on e-tenders (did an advanced search including expired documents) today and I don't remember putting up such a notice here. However, the work seems to involve the total reconstruction of the N2's road base through the junction as well as some carriageway widening. There's a Stop/Go traffic management system in place as of today (3/12/2011) - I guess this will go on for some time.

Regards!

Thursday 8th December - 1 Notice:

1) Tender: Limerick City Road Resurfacing 2012 (Limerick City Council)...

Regards!

I didn't see any notices for Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

<snip>Funding for National Road Restoration and Improvements will fall from €680m in 2011 to €605m in 2012 and to €278m in 2013, €288m in 2014 and €253m in 2015. As I have stated many times in the House and in the media, there will only be sufficient funds for roads already under construction or which are out to tender, as well as for the restoration of existing roads.<snip>

Source: Department of Tourism, Transport and Sport (scroll down to 'Capital Expenditure')

Well the major roads already under contract are:

N3 Belturbet;
    N4 Down's Grade Separation;
    N5 Longford Bypass;
    N22/N69/N70 Tralee Bypass;
    N25 CSRR Interchanges;
    N52 Carrickbridge to Clonfad;
    N87 Ballyconnell Relief Road.

The major roads currently under tender are:

N5 Ballaghaderreen Bypass;
    N7 Newlands Cross / N11 Arklow to Rathnew (PPP);
    M17/N18 Gort to Tuam (PPP).

Some Part 8 schemes on National Primary Roads under contract would include:

N2 Monaghan to Clontibret Upgrade (part of);
    N6 Athlone Bypass Retrofit;
    N6 Lynch Roundabout Reconfiguration.

Some Part 8 schemes on National Primary Roads under tender would include:

M1 J3 Drynam to J4 Lissenhall Upgrade;
    N2 Monaghan to Clontibret Upgrade (part of);
    N3 Mulhuddart Interchange Upgrade;
    N17 Realignment (North of Tuam);
    N21 Realignment (near Newcastle West?)

A couple of Part 8 schemes on Regional Roads under tender would include:

R132 Collins Cross to Airport Roundabout Upgrade;
    R402 Enfield to Edenderry.

Going by the above statement, one might be led to believe that all schemes listed herein are going ahead (other than the 2 major PPP schemes which are pending market funding) - would I be right or will someone burst my little bubble?

Friday 9th December - 1 Notice:

1) Award: Purchase of Winter Maintenance Salt Spreaders and to carry out alterations to Council Trucks (Cork County Council).

#1 - Isn't the council leaving it rather late for the purchase of salt spreading equipment when one considers the timing of cold snaps over the last 2 years? The first of last winter's snow spells started in late November - this year, we were very lucky to have a mild November, but December has seen a return to much colder weather - for all we know, we could yet end up with a snow spell before Christmas, so all local authorities should be well prepared by now.

Regards!

Monday 12th December - 1 Notice:

1) Award: R694 Grange Bridge Replacement Contract (Kilkenny CC).

Regards!

• Advertisement

Friday 16th December - 2 Notices:

1) Tender: Ministers Road, Lusk, Footpath and Cycle Track Link (Fingal CC);

2) Tender: Pre-qualification for Panel of Contractors for Lifford Strabane Construction Project 2012 (Donegal CC).

Very much at the bottom of the barrel in the run-up to Christmas. However, I guess the frequency of road tender notices will start to pick up again in the new year - even if it's maintenance related for the most part. In any case, I'll keep watch...

Regards!

PS. I didn't see any notices for Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Friday 9th December - 1 Notice:

1) Award: Purchase of Winter Maintenance Salt Spreaders and to carry out alterations to Council Trucks (Cork County Council).

#1 - Isn't the council leaving it rather late for the purchase of salt spreading equipment when one considers the timing of cold snaps over the last 2 years? The first of last winter's snow spells started in late November - this year, we were very lucky to have a mild November, but December has seen a return to much colder weather - for all we know, we could yet end up with a snow spell before Christmas, so all local authorities should be well prepared by now.

Regards!

The Date of Contract Award stated is 19-10-2011, there is always a delay between signing the contract and publication of the award notice.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    The Date of Contract Award stated is 19-10-2011, there is always a delay between signing the contract and publication of the award notice.

Many thanks for that Pete - I'm thinking of including Award dates in my posts from now on. Starting work on a Salt Barn on 19/10/2011 is still pushing it IMO - wonder how long do these barns take to build on average?

Edit - A mix up on my part - the contract mentioned above concerns the provision of salt spreaders rather than salt barns! :o

Many thanks for that Pete - I'm thinking of including Award dates in my posts from now on. Starting work on a Salt Barn on 19/10/2011 is still pushing it IMO - wonder how long do these barns take to build on average?
    I have seen tender documents for some of these slat barns and they usually set a timescale of two months. There is a lot of GGBS concrete in them (due to the corrosive atmosphere created by the salt) but the concrete cant be poured in below a certain temperature so it can be dodgy leaving this until the end of the year.

Tuesday 20th December - 4 Notices:

1) Tender: R680 Green Route Phase 1C Site Investigation (Waterford City Council);

2) Award (23/11/2011): N86 Annascaul to Gortbreagoge Road Improvement Scheme (Kerry CC);

3) Award (18/10/2011): Two Framework Agreements for Tourism Route Interpretation and Infrastructure Planning (Fáilte Ireland);

4) Contract Notice: Bothar na dTreabh (N6) MMCI Scheme Phase 4 (Bodkin) (Galway City Council).

#1 - The R680 is the old N25 Cork to Rosslare Road through Waterford City. The section in question is the quay along the Southern bank of the Suir as this map shows. The works seem to involve for the most part the upgrading/provision of bus, cycle and pedestrian facilities according to this word document (should either be in HTML or PDF format IMO!).

#2 - 4.2km of Type 3 Single Carriageway (Eastwards from Annascaul village) including a 500m offline section - this map shows the section of N86 to be upgraded.

#3 - I guess the infrastructure for tourist routes refer to lay-by provision, car parks, picnic areas, toilets, retail concessions etc.

#4 - The Bodkin Roundabout in Galway City will be history as this diagram (PDF - 3.36MB) shows! Also, this second diagram (PDF - 1.65MB) shows a new layout for the N6 Headford Road - also part of the scheme (Bothar na dTreabh (N6) MMCI Scheme Phase 4). Here's a new layout for a separate scheme (Bothar na dTreabh (N6) MMCI Scheme Phase 2) - the Briar Hill Junction.

I must admit, I wasn't expecting all this in the run-up to Christmas - I thought I was getting off lightly! :eek:

PS. - I didn't see any notices for Monday.

Whitemountain Quarries (part of Lagan Group) have been (or will be) awarded this contract.

Friday 23rd December - 1 Notice:

Not much of a notice from a general perspective, but for any motorist (and indeed pedestrians and children) in Limerick City suffering from the aftereffects of waterworks, the following might be welcome news...

1) Tender: Reinstatement of Water Services Excavations for Limerick City (Limerick City Council).

...last notice before Christmas 2011 -

HAPPY CHRISTMAS to all!

• Advertisement

Wednesday 4th January 2012 - 1 Notice:

1) Tender: Construction of Salt Barn (Laois CC).

#1 - Though not significant per se, this (I think) is the first road related notice for 2012 on e-tenders.ie

Happy New Year to all!!! :D

Advertisement