Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Atomiser + Cart vs Cartomiser

• 17-11-2011 11:24am

Hi, new to this vaping thing and can't figure out exactly which is better - atty (atomiser) + cartridge or cartomiser?

From what I can see cartomiser is better?

+ cartomiser is smaller than atty+ cart
    + can be reused maybe 5 times? (how many times can you reuse?)
    + cheaper than atty + cart option?
    + produces more vapour

are there any advantages to the atty + cart?

I bought a 510 manual 280mah starter kit (which comes with 2x atty and some carts) and some single coil cartomisers so will try both but just wondering about users experiences here...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I just can't get a good hit from an atomiser on its own or an atomiser with a normal cartridge. I've tried with 4 different ones now, and no joy.

I've stuck with the DCC cartomiser (longer than atomiser and cart though), especially with a drip tip. So far, I've found it the least inconsistent thing to use.

Eoin wrote: »
    I just can't get a good hit from an atomiser on its own or an atomiser with a normal cartridge. I've tried with 4 different ones now, and no joy.

I've stuck with the DCC cartomiser (longer than atomiser and cart though), especially with a drip tip. So far, I've found it the least inconsistent thing to use.

so with a drip tip and cartomiser you can just pour eliquid directly into the cart? can you use drip tip directly onto atomiser also?
    I got some single coil cartos with the starter kit to start with will see how they go.
    seems like I should just have gotten batteries, charger and cartos (dual) instead of a kit but too late now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

glasso wrote:
    so with a drip tip and cartomiser you can just pour eliquid directly into the cart? can you use drip tip directly onto atomiser also?

Yes to both. You can also fill a DCC by pouring some liquid into the sock that comes with it, and forcing the DCC down into it. This pushes the liquid into the cart. I don't do this though, as there are always some drops left over, and because I find the cart can get quite hot, and the drip tip doesn't conduct it as much.

There are loads of different combos though, but I'm sticking with that works the most often for me. I've pissed away too much money and liquid on ones that don't work very well. I find it a very frustratingly inconsistent technology in general.

Eoin wrote: »
    Yes to both. You can also fill a DCC by pouring some liquid into the sock that comes with it, and forcing the DCC down into it. This pushes the liquid into the cart. I don't do this though, as there are always some drops left over, and because I find the cart can get quite hot, and the drip tip doesn't conduct it as much.

There are loads of different combos though, but I'm sticking with that works the most often for me. I've pissed away too much money and liquid on ones that don't work very well. I find it a very frustratingly inconsistent technology in general.

bought 1 drip tip as well - will be trying out the thing this eve. so you just pour a few drops down the drip tip and it goes direct into the empty carto?

I just tend to take it off before I pour anything in so I don't get any drops directly in my mouth when I inhale. But this is using a DCC, not dripping directly on to an atomiser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I like the attie and cart combo for flavor but the carto is so much more convenient.
    I put a drip tip on the cartos cos it easier to take off than the stopper that comes with a carto. Also it fits my gob better.
    When you upgrade to a big battery (and you will) try some low res cartos their real good.
    Having said that I still use the 510 with a reg carto and its fine nice size and a handy ecig when out n about.

how many times do you reuse a carto then?
    I presume dual coil cartos give more vape than single?
    and can low res cartos only work with bigger batteries...?

(apols for all the q's... :) )

and can low res cartos only work with bigger batteries...?
    Generally no, one exception are the Kanger horizontal LR cartos which can work on 510 as well as ego riva tornado type battery.
    I presume dual coil cartos give more vape than single?
    yes they have 2 reg resistance coils which gives a higher combined voltage so more heat more vapor.
    how many times do you reuse a carto then?
    Until they taste bad. I use the LR ones and they suck juice, I fill them 4 or 5 times a day and get 3 or 4 days use. I'm not sure if it time or volume of juice or fireing times tho.
    Some last a good while, some go off after a day.
    The dual coils lasted me a week but I got sick of them and went back to LR cartos. I've been vaping since July and haven't setteled on something yet.
    Good luck with it, it's great to be off cigs.

tommy2bad wrote:
    Until they taste bad. I use the LR ones and they suck juice, I fill them 4 or 5 times a day and get 3 or 4 days use. I'm

Yep, about the same - though I use them longer than I should. I opened a new one today, and it made a big difference. Seemed to "crackle" louder than usual, but great flavour!

tommy2bad wrote: »
    The dual coils lasted me a week but I got sick of them and went back to LR cartos. I've been vaping since July and haven't setteled on something yet.
    Good luck with it, it's great to be off cigs.

why did you get sick of the dual coil cartomisers?

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    why did you get sick of the dual coil cartomisers?

This is a bit of topic but anyway, Vaping isn't the same as smoking, somethings missing. I'm not sure what, it might be some chemical in tobacco smoke or it might be the unconscious habit.
    When I smoked I bought a box of baccie every day. The same brand everyday, hardly gave it a thought just got it. Since vaping I search forums, check websites and generally put too much thought into what is at heart a habit. Something that satisfies because it doesn't require thought.
    Maybe when I started smoking I was the same, I do remember buying thees one time http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sobranie . It's so long ago I don't remember. I hope so because what I want is to be able to buy the same thing all the time and not think about it. Then I'll be done with smoking for certain. Worry 'bout quiting vaping then.
    So why did I get sick of dual coils? I'm fickle at the moment.

This is a bit of topic but anyway, Vaping isn't the same as smoking, somethings missing. I'm not sure what, it might be some chemical in tobacco smoke or it might be the unconscious habit.
    When I smoked I bought a box of baccie every day. The same brand everyday, hardly gave it a thought just got it. Since vaping I search forums, check websites and generally put too much thought into what is at heart a habit. Something that satisfies because it doesn't require thought.
    Maybe when I started smoking I was the same, I do remember buying thees one time http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sobranie . It's so long ago I don't remember. I hope so because what I want is to be able to buy the same thing all the time and not think about it. Then I'll be done with smoking for certain. Worry 'bout quiting vaping then.

I get what you mean - I think it's also 'cos there are some many devices and different paraphernalia out there (ecig types, liquids, atomisers etc etc.). Some people really get into the gear side of things With cigarettes it is simple. I'm not a big smoker but if I do buy smokes tend to chain smoke them so the good thing about vaping for me is that I have the option to satisfy a craving but don't have to go out and get 20 smokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭achieve

I have tried the Cartomisers and am not a fan. First it seems to me that I have to pull harder, and you can really hear the sucking noise. Also my cartomisers do seem to get much hotter than cart + atty, because I have to pull so strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

I think the reason for this is that personal vaporisers as a technology is only what, 3-4 years old, and still in it's infancy. The tech is improving and changing all the time with new devices, atties, cartos, tanks etc...
    I rekon in time when things settle down, the tech will have bedded in and become more reliable, then it'll be possible to go out and buy what works for you, and have it perform consistently, if it doesn't already...

Gryzor wrote: »
    I think the reason for this is that personal vaporisers as a technology is only what, 3-4 years old, and still in it's infancy. The tech is improving and changing all the time with new devices, atties, cartos, tanks etc...
    I rekon in time when things settle down, the tech will have bedded in and become more reliable, then it'll be possible to go out and buy what works for you, and have it perform consistently, if it doesn't already...

Yep, I really hope that's the case. And that it isn't just outlawed in the meantime. I find the inconsistency very frustrating.

I have 510 / Ego. Filling up these cartomisers etc is annoying and you always end up with some eliquid spilling somewhere, having to worry about when they are nearly empty so they don't burn etc. what about those clear tanks where you can fill up a couple of ml at a time - anybody recommend any? do they work well? how long do they last?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭achieve

I recently purchased an Ego T and have tried both Type A & Type B (with LR atomiser). Overall, I am disappointed, particulalrly so with the Type A where the flavour is non-existant. Lots of vapour though! Type B with LR atty is better, but flavour wise still doesn't compare to my 510 with cartridge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the 510 atties/cartomisers are pretty good for flavour alright but the advantage of the tanks/larger cartos is that you dont have to refill the damn things every 20 minutes if you're a heavy vaper

i'm using echomisers atm and they're probably the best cartomiser i've tried yet (when they work). great vapour and flavour, but out of an order of 20 (split between myself and samba) I had 3 duds, Samba had six.. which is just crazy. the good point about them is we paid around 23-24 euro each for 10 of them so they are quite cheap when bought in bulk which does kinda offset the possibly ridiculous failure rate.. and when you get one that works it will last you at the very minimum a week of heavy vaping.
    but as with all things vaping... it's a new technology so we just gotta power through, try nnew things and just hope problems get ironed out in the future.
    being honest about it too, even if you do end up spending as much or more money as on cigarettes it's *so* much better for you than cigarettes so while you may end up wasting money on dud atomisers every now and again.. it's still worth it overall imo

also it's so long since I used tanks I don't really remember.. but I do remember the type b's were better (i think I posted here to that effect, wondering aloud whether or not they actually were better or if I just wanted them to be better).

yes - hopefully they will invent something reliable at some point.
    those repairable atomiser tank things seem too expensive and too much hassle at the moment...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah kinda, it depends
    that genesis line looks very nice, and for 70 odd euro delivered.. if you consider it oughta last almost indefinitely
    you'd easily spend 70 on atties in a year

the main problem with them is that because they are so expensive, you wouldn't really feel safe taking them out with you.. just in case you lose them. you lose a 2 euro dcc, who cares. you lose a 70 euro atty.. you'll bloody feel that
    repairable's are the future I think, there'll always be a market for the disposables. but once you get some really good and simple to use repairables into the market.. i don't see why anyone who's into vaping for the semi long-term wouldn't pick one up.

• Advertisement

yeah kinda, it depends
    that genesis line looks very nice, and for 70 odd euro delivered.. if you consider it oughta last almost indefinitely
    you'd easily spend 70 on atties in a year

the main problem with them is that because they are so expensive, you wouldn't really feel safe taking them out with you.. just in case you lose them. you lose a 2 euro dcc, who cares. you lose a 70 euro atty.. you'll bloody feel that
    repairable's are the future I think, there'll always be a market for the disposables. but once you get some really good and simple to use repairables into the market.. i don't see why anyone who's into vaping for the semi long-term wouldn't pick one up.

I'd buy one if they were reliable and easy and simple to refill and repair.

once somebody gets it right the copycats in China will make one that costs 5 euro! (hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 velocivaper

Gotta say I'm a convert to the DCC LR xl cartomisers, at €2 a go they are great value. Because I'm out and about all day I carry a spare set up (cart+battery) with me. I have generally got around 25 days use ( about 45-50ml juice) from the two cartomisers alternating between one set up an the other. I reckon that keeping them damp and not letting them get too hot helps prolong their life, I also run boiling water and/or small amount of vodka through them every 4 or so days leaving them to dry on the rad for a few minutes before refilling. Their only down sides are the need for a decent battery (I run 1000mAh) and their greater length with the big battery makes it look like your smoking a screwdriver !

Put a new LR carto on my 650 eGo battery yesterday, pressed the button and got a horrible burnt taste, not the usual burned filler taste either.
    Left it sit and tried again. It had killed the battery :O
    Dead as mutton, couldn't even charge it. Had to order a replacement from Best Shop got that today 900 mah, big bugger but Ill get used to it.
    First time I had one that did damage and I'm kinda worried now, wouldn't too many to bring down batteries.

Their only down sides are the need for a decent battery (I run 1000mAh) and their greater length with the big battery makes it look like your smoking a screwdriver !
    Actually am considering getting a screwdriver.
    http://www.cavecom.com/screwdriver/shop/kitindex.htm

Gotta say I'm a convert to the DCC LR xl cartomisers, at €2 a go they are great value. Because I'm out and about all day I carry a spare set up (cart+battery) with me. I have generally got around 25 days use ( about 45-50ml juice) from the two cartomisers alternating between one set up an the other. I reckon that keeping them damp and not letting them get too hot helps prolong their life, I also run boiling water and/or small amount of vodka through them every 4 or so days leaving them to dry on the rad for a few minutes before refilling. Their only down sides are the need for a decent battery (I run 1000mAh) and their greater length with the big battery makes it look like your smoking a screwdriver !

Yep, I use only them now. I tried the ego mega thingies, but they were too pricey given how inconsistent they were. Plus they're huuuuge.

I also tried the smaller horizontal ones (got a constant burnt taste from all 4), but the DCCs have been the most consistent for me.

As you said, they make the device that little bit too long, but feck it.

By the way, I'd stick with the stainless ones. The black ones peel very easily, and the clear ones disintegrate and are often too wide for a cone (making them even more fragile).

Put a new LR carto on my 650 eGo battery yesterday, pressed the button and got a horrible burnt taste, not the usual burned filler taste either.
    Left it sit and tried again. It had killed the battery :O
    Dead as mutton, couldn't even charge it. Had to order a replacement from Best Shop got that today 900 mah, big bugger but Ill get used to it.
    First time I had one that did damage and I'm kinda worried now, wouldn't too many to bring down batteries.
    Had the same problem about two weeks ago with one of my regular batterys, took the bugger apart, the battery had a load of charge but the red wire to the circuit board had fried a bit where its soldered on to the circuit board. The wires are of a very thin guage, I'd reckon barely up to the job of carrying the increase current from the low res cart. I did manage to solder it back on and get it working again, the board is tiny and very fiddly to solder and then get back under the switch/push button. I'd reckon these thing are really built to a price, longevity not being a factor in their production.

Actually am considering getting a screwdriver.
    http://www.cavecom.com/screwdriver/shop/kitindex.htm
    I have been looking at them as well, they seem pretty robust, I'm just not sure about the position of the switch ,on the bottom, looks like it could fire off when its in your pocket ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

been useing the [genuine] EGO-T type A mostly for the last 6 months now and for me its the best out of what i use now that iv get some proper juice. use a 510T for tabaco juice aswell.
    1 of my attys is still going after 6 months [think ill replace it next month]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I used the 510 and cart initially and moved onto the 510 T. Found that a huge improvement but still not quite right.

Bought a Smokeymiser CE3 and it was perfect.......for 2 days until they blew my 2 x 510 Mega batteries. Just moved to eGo batts and DCC XL LR and it's a huge improvement from the 510 set up. Eats juice but I'm very happy with them. Tempted to try a different Smokymiser again but afraid to destroy more batts.

Advertisement