Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machete

• 24-11-2011 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Saw this today on Sky. Its a Robert Rodriguez film starring Trejo, De Niro, Jessica Alba, Lindsay Lohan, Don Johnson and Steven Segal.

I thouroughly enjoyed it. Its pure mindless entertainment but its done brilliantly. Its a grindhouse movie that doesnt take itself seriously. Plenty of B category gore and cheesy lines but it works a treat. Add beautiful women and an anti-hero so far-fetched he makes MacGyver look realistic and you get great entertainment. Highly recommended.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Machete was a bit of a disappointment IMO. Some good moments alright but it's got nothing on Planet Terror

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Machete was a bit of a disappointment IMO. Some good moments alright but it's got nothing on Planet Terror

It is similar to Planet Terror, which i enjoyed as well and imo it stands up there alongside. The main character Machete is just brilliant, plus its a very funny film.

Warper wrote: »
    It is similar to Planet Terror, which i enjoyed as well and imo it stands up there alongside. The main character Machete is just brilliant, plus its a very funny film.

The fact that it was a planet terror spin off was what got me so excited for it but overall I think PT is much more fun

I enjoyed Lindsey Lohans tits though :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Well, I hate to break this to you, but they weren't hers. She used a body double.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

I liked it, it was a more serious movie than it let on to be, eg a look at illegal immagration from latin america to the united states.

• Advertisement

Well, I hate to break this to you, but they weren't hers. She used a body double.

:eek:

That hurt a lot more than It should have :(

Think she's doing a playboy shoot soon anyway!

Good God I sound like a pervert!

The fact that it was a planet terror spin off was what got me so excited for it but overall I think PT is much more fun

Her mom was alright as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

Machete is definitely one of my favourite films. Don't get me wrong, it's terrible, but it's the fact that it knows its terrible that makes it so brilliant. I literally had my mouth open for the first 20mins of that movie. It's a mindless action film with Steven Seagal as the villain. Can't go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Awesome film, I'd imagine it was an enjoyable film for the cast to make. That sucks about Lohans tats.

It was something of a missed opportunity, it tried so hard to be a bad 70s action film but it was far too polished for that true grindhouse feel. Anyone looking for a film that truly captures the feel of what grindhouse is should check out The Devil's Rejects.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It was something of a missed opportunity, it tried so hard to be a bad 70s action film but it was far too polished for that true grindhouse feel. Anyone looking for a film that truly captures the feel of what grindhouse is should check out The Devil's Rejects.

Devil's Rejects is a fine film. Have you seen Hobo with a Shotgun? Its a gas, took my a while to get used of the (probably deliberate) production values but once I did I found it great fun.

Machete was great fun I thought.

Mickeroo wrote: »

Devil's Rejects is a fine film. Have you seen Hobo with a Shotgun? Its a gas, took my a while to get used of the (probably deliberate) production values but once I did I found it great fun.

Machete was great fun I thought.

Hobo is great trashy fun, completely ridicolous and over the top and all the better for it. Have watched it a few times and cannot recommend it enough, I thought it was hilarious that there were walkouts at it during its screening at the Galway Film Fleadh. I'm curious as to what people expected when they got tickets for a film with such a title.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hobo is great trashy fun, completely ridicolous and over the top and all the better for it. Have watched it a few times and cannot recommend it enough, I thought it was hilarious that there were walkouts at it during its screening at the Galway Film Fleadh. I'm curious as to what people expected when they got tickets for a film with such a title.

Exactly, you'd think they would have been aware of what it is before they would buy tickets too. It always annoys when people regard a film like that as rubbish, the irony flies straight over their head. THese are the same kind of people who diss Evil Dead II for not being believable/scary enough :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Machete doesn't text

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

The bit at the start was better with the girl who pulls her phone from her 'lady purse'. She was unreal.

rossc007 wrote: »
    Machete doesn't text

Machete improvises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

It was good to see Big Steve back in something outside of DTV films.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

rossc007 wrote: »
    Machete doesn't don't text
    :pac:

Only got round to watching this today - holy moly, I loved it. Hilariously outrageously brilliant... De Niro looked like he was having more fun making this movie than he has had in years and Don Johnson was outstanding as well.

Great stuff... Danny Trejo must've thought all his birthdays had come at once when this script landed at his feet? "Hang on, Jessica Alba, Lindsay Lohan, Michelle Rodriguez and a fairly hot cougar type?? Get the f*ck outta hereee..."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Danny was involved with this from the start since he and Robert both decided to do the movie. So if you were involved with a movie where you're the main star, would you not want to make sure you got all the hot women? :)

Of course, it's gonna be very wrong in Machete Kills if he's involved with Alexa Vega.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

Machete, its probably the dumbest movie I've ever watched, but I love it. Then again, I'm a sucker for a good dumbass action flick.

• Advertisement

With Machete Kills in cinemas atm and as it stars Mel Gibson I thought that what better way to spend a quiet Saturday night than with a few beers and some stupidly violent cinema. So with that in mind I decided to rewatch the first film, a film that I really didn't care for when it came out but had hoped that it was one of those films that grows on you. Sadly it's not and to be blunt, Machete is easily one of the worst films to ever get a wide theatrical release.

From watching Grindhouse it was obvious that neither Tarantino or Rodriguez quite knows what makes a film grindhouse, instead preferring to rely on lazy FX work and cheap, boring ideas and tricks to capture the look and feel. They may love those trashy old genre films but they try so hard to ape the style that they ruin any potential in the ideas. Rob Zombie's The Devil's Rejects managed without really trying to do everything that Tarantino and Rodriguez failed to do. He captured the look and feel of grindhouse cinema because of the way in which he told his story. The script lent itself to the style and managed at the same time to be a damn fantastic piece of cinema that is essential viewing for anyone who likes a little intelligence and wit to their genre viewing.

Getting to the end of Machete was a slog and I could have easily turned it off after 10 minutes but lets be honest, I'd be willing to walk across broken glass if it meant seeing Mel Gibson onscreen. He may be a drunken, racist but by christ is he a great film maker and one of the finest actors of his or any generation. So with that in mind I watched all 100 minutes of Machete and at the end all I could think was what a monumental waste of time it had been. Rodriguez managed to assemble a cast that included Robert De Niro, Don Johnson, Jessica Alba, Jeff Fahey and then give them absolutely nothing to do. The script wasn't so much scribbled on the back of a napkin as on the smallest flap on a matchbox. From the 100 minutes you could assemble one hell of a 90 minute trailer but not a whole lot else. The whole thing looks and feels so cheap that had it been made by a few friends at the weekend you'd feel sorry that they wasted their time on such a terrible film. There's really nothing redeeming about Machete and it's a shame that a filmmaker as talented as Rodriguez has spent the past decade and a half wasting his talent on bargain basement, direct to DVD fodder. Bar Sin City he hasn't made a decent film since The Faculty way back in 1998 and considering just how much promise he showed with El Mariachi and Desperado that's a real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rogeratucker23

It tried hard to be an action movie of the 70's but it was too polished for that real groundhouse feeling. Anyone looking for a movie that really captures the feeling of what Groundhouse is should see the devil's rejection. See more details about machetes here: best survival machetes

Advertisement