Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

paddy147 wrote: »
    Will the EU be introducing stabilizers for all new learners???

Nah. That'd be a modification. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paul75

Folks, any advice on what type of bike I should be considering after I take the IBT? Essentially, what's a good bike to learn on for a year or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

What kind of bike do you like, cruisers/sports/naked?

What CC would you be thinking of getting? What will you be using the bike for?

There are loads of options there so you'll need to narrow it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paul75

RosieJoe wrote: »
    What kind of bike do you like, cruisers/sports/naked?

What CC would you be thinking of getting? What will you be using the bike for?

There are loads of options there so you'll need to narrow it down!

As my post stated - a good bike to learn on, not bothered whether sport/cruiser/naked. I can decide on this once I've become competent and passed my test - then I can upgrade.
    Also, CC will be limited because of the 25kw power limit for learner bikers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I am getting quotes for bikes above the 25kw limit?? I asked and have been quoted prices, I pressed them for details regarding restrictions and such and they said they dont ask, so whats to stop me going ahead and getting a bike above the limit (other than the possibility of getting stopped and handing over a learner permit to a Garda) the gardai aren't going to ask for a restriction cert??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭gipi

merch,

If you were in an accident and had to make a claim with your insurance company, the first thing they'll do is ask if the bike is restricted. If it isn't then as far as they're concerned you weren't licenced to be on the road, therefore you won't be insured and the company will walk away (they may pay 3rd party costs).

The gardaí do stop bikes and ask for proof of restriction if they suspect that the bike might be full power.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

i have a zzr 400 with a fake cert just be carefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

no intention of it really, just seems a curious thing for ins not to ask for a cert?
    Anyway I'm looking at restricted bikes, dont even care if its factory restricted and cant be taken off, likely keep it for years if it is a bigger engined bike anyway. Power and speed isnt my consideration, more ability of the bike to endure.

edit: Also looking for a website or anywhere really that I can check out a bikes history, to some extent, like finance, or whatever people think is relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Notch000

Hi just gettign a learner now & looking to buy a bike.

question - I know the IBT is compulsury but do i need to do the IBT before you can get out on the road ?? or can i get a bike insure it & then do the IBT on that bike ???

also looking @ quinn insurance for quotes there are significant discounts for level 1-4 'assesments'. Is this a standard part of the IBT training or somehting you need to pay extra for

also how much do bike prices vary from Pre christmas to spring time price ???

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

When I was buying the price of the bike in nov dropped by 2k come the feb from a dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭gipi

Notch,

You can't legally be on the road on a bike until you've passed your IBT. There's nothing stopping you from buying a bike and insuring it, but you can't actually be on the road until the IBT's done.

You could use your own bike for IBT if you have some way of getting the bike to the instruction area - e.g. a van. Might be a lot of hassle though, which is why instructors supply bikes for the IBT course.

The graded assessments used by Quinn and AON cost extra and aren't included in the cost of an IBT. The IBT instructor may be qualified to carry out the assessment, but will charge you separately for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Hey all I dont know if this is the right place to post this. If not can a mod please move it to its own thread. I have my theroy test on the 5th then will get the permit from the tax office. I'm based in Limerick.Can someone recommend me a place to do the IBT. I've never ridden a bike before so I'm guessing ill need an introductory course before I do the IBT?

Secondly...gear...

With xmas coming the family are asking the usual what do you want questions...I figured i might as well abuse there genoursity :P

Helmet,Jacket,Gloves,Pants,boots....and after a while a decent backpack....

Can someone recommend brands and places to get them?

sorry about the complete newbie questions

P.S I will wait till after ive done some of the IBT before i buy the gear just to make sure biking is for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

if you are willing to travel to the ennis area,then try mo garvey its where i did my ibt, she is widely regarded as being one of the best around...

As for gear, a trip to dublin might be required as things like helmets need to be tried on first, i think i tried on well over 20 different brands and size helmets before i found a comfortable fit...
    Same goes for gloves and boots, so you are better off going to a place that has a large selection, i think the best place is cotters in dublin..

eurofoxy wrote: »
    if you are willing to travel to the ennis area,then try mo garvey its where i did my ibt, she is widely regarded as being one of the best around...

As for gear, a trip to dublin might be required as things like helmets need to be tried on first, i think i tried on well over 20 different brands and size helmets before i found a comfortable fit...
    Same goes for gloves and boots, so you are better off going to a place that has a large selection, i think the best place is cotters in dublin..

Excellent...sure Ennis is only out the road. Have found Mo's website and will be in contact!!!

Have no problem going to dublin to get the right gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

you will find mo is maybe not the cheapest but i can tell you i passed my test first time with very few hours on the bike and had very few mistakes in the test, i put most of it down to good clear instruction from her..

As for the gear i did attend the birmingham bike show last year, its a great place to see and try on loads of gear.. i came away with a very nice pair of sidi boots for less than half price retail... it might be worth looking into the bike show in dublin...
    But as you said try biking before you spend big on gear as that way if its not for you you have not lost out on much,

I think mo will provide most of the gear for you, and when i did the bit last feburary i did it over 2 days, they were long days but it was a great achievement to get it all done, mo can also do an insurance assessment if you require that...

eurofoxy wrote: »
    you will find mo is maybe not the cheapest but i can tell you i passed my test first time with very few hours on the bike and had very few mistakes in the test, i put most of it down to good clear instruction from her..

As for the gear i did attend the birmingham bike show last year, its a great place to see and try on loads of gear.. i came away with a very nice pair of sidi boots for less than half price retail... it might be worth looking into the bike show in dublin...
    But as you said try biking before you spend big on gear as that way if its not for you you have not lost out on much,

I think mo will provide most of the gear for you, and when i did the bit last feburary i did it over 2 days, they were long days but it was a great achievement to get it all done, mo can also do an insurance assessment if you require that...

Thanks eurofoxy i dont mind paying for good training. As i said it will be my first time on a bike so i would rather be in good hands!

I've never ridden a bike before so I'm guessing ill need an introductory course before I do the IBT?

No need to do any introductory course as the IBT is designed for new Riders!

RosieJoe wrote: »
    No need to do any introductory course as the IBT is designed for new Riders!

Excellent...

Did i see posted somewhere that the IBT can be done over 2 days i.e a weekend? this would suit me better with work

Best thing to do is give Mo a ring to see if she can accomodate you over a weekend.

Also, see if you get a discount if 2 of you do the IBT together, most places do this. You could save yourself a few shekels doing it this way.

Will do. Thanks for all the advice everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 waterfordal

Morgoth wrote: »
    Yep you're probably right, or maybe I did get asked a motorbike Q and just aced it anyway. :)

Really?! So IBT is only required for those who sat the theory test after last December? Jeez I was about to ring up and book, must look into this a bit more... Edit: okay, it's for someone who has taken out their first learner permit after 6th Dec 2010, simple as that. The more I read though, seems like you might as well do it anyway if you're a total bike newbie, since how much less would 16 hours of regular lessons cost and it looks like a really good intro.

It's being processed / in the post, will investigate when it arrives.

Sorry to bring this up again. Have been reading rsa website/citizens info.ie/other websites and I just seem to be more confused. I had a moped in 2002/03 and had a provisional licnece for it. In 2004 I got my full car driving license. Does anyone know if I am required to do the IBT training since I had a cat m provisional before 2010, or does it make any difference?

I will still be doing some form of training but would like to know if I am obliged to do the IBT.

Many thanks.

Sorry to bring this up again. Have been reading rsa website/citizens info.ie/other websites and I just seem to be more confused. I had a moped in 2002/03 and had a provisional licnece for it. In 2004 I got my full car driving license. Does anyone know if I am required to do the IBT training since I had a cat m provisional before 2010, or does it make any difference?

I will still be doing some form of training but would like to know if I am obliged to do the IBT.

Many thanks.

If you got you provisional licence in 2002, this lasts for 2 years so if you did not renew it has expired in 2004. After 5 years expiration you will then need to resit your theory test to get your new permit.

So yes, you do need to go throught the full process including the IBT

Here is the page you need to clear this up, do a search for "expired 5 years ago"

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

I'm not a learner as I just passed the full A, but I have a question.

I have A1, A, B and W on my licence now.

I want to add M as I'll be travelling and don't want the hassle of explaining to the official that mopeds are covered under A.

Do you think the MTO will let me add in this category for free?

Right, well I went in the MTO and got sorted.

Chap said he'd put the A1, A, B, M and W on it - no charge, just needed fresh photos and application .

:)

right..passed the theroy this morning...from reading the first post in this thread id say that a learner permit is issued for each cat.... ill be looking for a restricted 600 so is it A1 i need? or can i get A,A1 and M put on the permit?

You'll be looking for A1, A and M.

Not that it matters as you'll likely not have the learner permit for long.

The A part is what pertains to your 600cc bike.

fleet wrote: »
    You'll be looking for A1, A and M.

Not that it matters as you'll likely not have the learner permit for long.

The A part is what pertains to your 600cc bike.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

Regarding the Module 1 IBT, do you get to even sit on a bike?

I just booked in earlier and was told it is all class room based:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

buzz wrote: »
    Regarding the Module 1 IBT, do you get to even sit on a bike?

I just booked in earlier and was told it is all class room based:confused:

Yes, the first module is class room stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

P.C. wrote: »
    Yes, the first module is class room stuff.

I cant really complain, I got a groupon for 19euro...

Think its 440 for the other 3 modules?

Advertisement