Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any Good accounting package for small startup?

• 13-11-2011 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hello folks

just wondering if anyone can recommend any handy software package for accounting for a small business? it is a cafe so it would have to handle a lot of transactions (not with customers so much as with a variety of suppliers with many dozens of transactions per supplier per year, etc.).

cost is an issue so something out there that might be free or low-priced perhaps? if it can handle VAT also and/or payroll, that would be a big plus!

any advice greatly appreciated and thanks

Garrett

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 brosnacat

Hi Garrett,

There are a number of accounting packages available for small businesses including Big Red Book, Sage Line 50, Tasbooks which are probably the most popular. All pretty much do the same job and are priced in a similiar range so shop around for the cheapest. Perhaps have a chat with your accountant to see which one they use or would recommend to you. If you are looking for a free accounting package tasbooks do have a free downloadable Tasbooks Basic software available from their website. I have recommended this package to a couple of new start up clients recently and they found it easy to use and that it did all they needed. This package should be sufficient for a small start up cash business as it will do your Vat, sales ledger, purchases ledger, cashbook, bank reconciliations, etc, although it doesn't have some advanced reporting options such as debtor statements which in a cash business you are unlikely to require anyway. They also have a Free payroll package (Quickpay) available which is limited to a max of 5 employees. If you have more than 5 employees the most popular packages are Quickpay and Thesauras.

Hope the above was useful, best of luck with your business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 garrettf

Thanks so much for that reply. I just managed to download TAS basic (which required some effort as I use a Mac and it is only Windows compatible) - it seems like a very good package. Your advice seems sage (forgive the pun!) and thanks again - very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Crazy World

I've just started using Tas basic also.

Advertisement