Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snapper

• 09-11-2011 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

it was aired on TV will ruled it out from the oscars..

hypothetically speaking how many oscars nominations and wins would The Snapper have got and what categories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

Er none.

As good as the snapper was it only appealed to an Irish audience. It would undoubtedly have cleaned up at the IFTAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Saw it last night. P****d meself laughing. Colm Meaney is a briliant actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I always knew there was something that didn't entirely sit right with me about that movie, and I figured it out last night. The girl playing Sharon doesn't look young. She looks about 30, in fact she was 25/26 making the movie. Sharon is supposed to be 20, and look it.

Classic movie, still brilliant, but especially after reading the book I always knew there was some angle missing, and that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

errr, none? its not a very good film, has some funny moments but the acting is mostly woeful, the scenes with Sharon in the pub with her friends are painful to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

A good majority of Irish films suffer from poor acting (outside of the main cast)

The Wind That Shakes The Barely is a prime example. Some of the acting from the supporting cast is truly woeful (not to mention how unsubtle the plot is)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

krudler wrote: »
    errr, none? its not a very good film, has some funny moments but the acting is mostly woeful, the scenes with Sharon in the pub with her friends are painful to watch.

But worth the pain when you wait till the scene where Colm Meaney, urging on the Barrystown Wheelies to get a move on, looks at the fat kid who's last on his bike and mumbles "poor little f*cker, he'll saw the b*llix off 'imself". Worth all the pain for that one line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

get outa me way ya dozey bollicks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

If Taxi Driver couldn't win an oscar I seriously doubt The Snapper had a chance..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    A good majority of Irish films suffer from poor acting (outside of the main cast)

The Wind That Shakes The Barely is a prime example. Some of the acting from the supporting cast is truly woeful (not to mention how unsubtle the plot is)

really? like who, i thought they were all believable

best snapper quote: "thats only your water breakin'. sure it could happen to a bishop"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Sonovagun wrote: »
    Er none.

As good as the snapper was it only appealed to an Irish audience. It would undoubtedly have cleaned up at the IFTAs.

Colm Meaney was nominated for a Golden Globe for his performance in the film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Sonovagun wrote: »
    Er none.

Well this is simply not true...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

really? like who, i thought they were all believable

Look at the scene where they're debating the treaty in the courthouse, hilariously bad acting

Not to mention the fella they shot up the hills for being a British informer

It's little lines here and there from small parts that give it away

Murphy and a few others are good in it but as a whole there's some very bad acting

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Look at the scene where they're debating the treaty in the courthouse, hilariously bad acting

Murphy and a few others are good in it but as a whole there's some very bad acting

I must watch it again, usually poor acting puts me right off a film but I don't remember anything bad in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

"Get outta way, ya dozy bollix"

Class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

have to disagree there. the debate scene was very believable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The Snapper is only worth watching for Colm Meaney's performance. It's made out to be a great Irish comedy but apart from Meaney it's not funny at all. Gimme the dark comedy of The Butcher Boy (best Irish film of all time for me) any day over it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

One thing a I get a great kick from out of the Snapper is the window into a different time it provides. Back when someone could be heavily pregnant and smoke and drink as much as they liked without so much as dirty look from the general public. Good times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

krudler wrote: »
    There's a tendency to consider Irish films (particularly from the late 80's/early nineties) as being boring or poorly acted, but that's because they didn't employ the same techniques as hollywood movies of the era, so they appear very raw. There's a tendency in Hollywood to overact somewhat, so if that's what you measure as a good performance, then looking at that era of Irish movies you'd be lead to believe that the acting lacked passion or emotion, when IMO it was a whole lot more "real" than the Hollywood overacting.

That said, we also have tendency to make some poor casting choices (and we still do), due to the nepotism rampant in the Irish film & theatre scene.

The Commitments is considered another great, but the lead character in that has some terrible acting. But it's saved by a great script and some great performances of those around him.

Likewise in this, Sharon (who isn't actually the lead) has a very poor performance, but flanked by 3 of our greatest actors - Colm Meaney, Brendan Gleeson and Ruth McCabe - as well as a number of other good performances, you can kind of gloss over her weak points.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Gleeson's doesn't even have a scene with her. He's a great actor but you couldn't tell that looking at the Snapper, as he hams it up with the rest of them

There's also no point in comparing acting in a serious drama to a comedy. Different films have different needs. Some charachters in the Snapper are dliberately OTT for comic effect. It isn't designed to be ultra realistic. They need to have comic timing and be somewhat belieavble. They all deliver

The Snapper is only worth watching for Colm Meaney's performance. It's made out to be a great Irish comedy but apart from Meaney it's not funny at all. Gimme the dark comedy of The Butcher Boy (best Irish film of all time for me) any day over it.

thought the scenes with his pub mates were good although silly , billy meehan from fair city was one of them :eek:aswell as brendan gleeson of course , didnt like sharon but some of the other kids were good and the mother ( ruth mc cabe ) is a good actress and put in an understated but solid performance , sharons friends were the low point

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    One thing a I get a great kick from out of the Snapper is the window into a different time it provides. Back when someone could be heavily pregnant and smoke and drink as much as they liked without so much as dirty look from the general public. Good times :D

the book must be from the 80,s as even in 1993 , ireland wasnt that innocent

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

Saw it last night. P****d meself laughing. Colm Meaney is a briliant actor.

they need to show more film's like this on TV .................given all the doom and gloom around , it sure would cheer people up

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Not a patch on the Van imo, but definitely worth another watch last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Ah the nostalgia of it makes me happy, the decor, hoppin on an auld green bus.
    TK and a package of King Crips!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

just look up the nominations and winners for the oscars in 1993....fairly big hitters in fairness

http://boxofficemojo.com/oscar/chart/?view=allcategories&yr=1993&p=.htm

Should have got BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE PICTURE???

DRose1 wrote: »
    Not a patch on the Van imo, but definitely worth another watch last night.

only saw the van once , only bit that sticks out was when one particular customer opened his newspaper and the cod he ordered turned out to be something else

its a :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,924 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

irishh_bob wrote: »
    the book must be from the 80,s as even in 1993 , ireland wasnt that innocent

It was written in 1990, not 1993.
    If you had to date it, its set around 1989. Basing this on the van being based around Italia'90

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

irishh_bob wrote: »
    only saw the van once , only bit that sticks out was when one particular customer opened his newspaper and the cod he ordered turned out to be something else

its a :eek:

"ah f*ck off, baldy conscience!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Somewhat neither here nor there, but I always get a bit of a laugh out of the fact that Georgie Burgess (the father of the titular baby) is played by Pat Laffan, the very same as went on to play Pat Mustard in Father Ted - typecasting anyone? :pac:

I am aware he has played plenty of other different roles too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Mellor wrote: »
    If you had to date it, its set around 1989. Basing this on the van being based around Italia'90

Well there is a scene when Sharon mentions that Dessie cried during the World Cup. So it probably starts in late 1989, passing the World Cup and finishing in around August/September 1990.

If the films were like the books, The Van could probably sit between the The Commitments and The Snapper chronologically.

Advertisement