Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend me an album/Name an album.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 aidodo

I'm looking for some recommendations, I've been so content with my itunes library for the last number of years that I've barely given any new music a chance! I listen to most genres but nothing that's been released in recent times, alt/indie would be the genre I listen to the least so I'm trying to broaden my horizons there!

In the last few days I've listened to and liked the following...

Bon Iver - Bon Iver (on first listen I wasn't sure but I'm getting more into it)
    The National - High Violet
    The Antlers - Hospice
    Beach House - Teen Dream
    Beirut - Gulag Orkestar
    The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You (Love this!)

Love all those bands ( except the last one, never heard of them), so will recommend some of my favourites:
    Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
    The National - Boxer and Alligator
    Anna Calvi - Anna Calvi
    Villagers - Becoming a Jackal (Playing Marlay Park with Beach House on Saturday by the way)
    Wolf Parade - Apologies to Queen Mary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I'm looking for some recommendations, I've been so content with my itunes library for the last number of years that I've barely given any new music a chance! I listen to most genres but nothing that's been released in recent times, alt/indie would be the genre I listen to the least so I'm trying to broaden my horizons there!

In the last few days I've listened to and liked the following...

Bon Iver - Bon Iver (on first listen I wasn't sure but I'm getting more into it)
    The National - High Violet
    The Antlers - Hospice
    Beach House - Teen Dream
    Beirut - Gulag Orkestar
    The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You (Love this!)

Wye Oak are seemingly often compared to Beach House. I really like their Civilian album, maybe check them out:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Howdy

I need to add some more upbeat shizzle to me collection so I do. I'm interested in recommendations for upbeat, rhythmic stuff like Passion Pit.

Bit of an edge but nice n poppy, melodic, sing-along and not necessarily guitar music - nothing against guitars, far from it, but on this occasion I'm seeking more electronic stuff, keyboards n synths etc. Big 80s fan. The themes can me as dark as you want as long as the music makes me move. As much as I can move in my car anyway...

Not quite as dancey and straight up beat driven as Cut Copy but close...if I'm making sense at all...

Thanks in advance people.

Check these out:

Yeasayer - Odd Blood
    MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
    Empire of the Sun - Walking On a Dream
    The Naked And Famous - Passive Me, Aggressive You
    Hurts - Happiness
    Fenech-Soler - Fenech-Soler

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

nm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

in reply to Denalihighway

you should check out the presets , they are awsome and being said to be today depeche mode of the 80's etc , check out the album apocalypse ,its brilliant
    also hurts aswell, the album happiness is out-standing,
    also filthy dukes check out the album nonsence in the dark
    the latest editors album in this light and on this evening is real 80's synth drivin and is a good listen
    check out chromeo ,the albums fancy footwork and she's in control
    caribou with the album swim
    m83 and the album is saturdays=youth

if i think of more ill post them up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Thanks for the recommendation of The Avett Brothers..enjoying the album now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

A V A wrote: »
    m83 and the album is saturdays=youth

And just to let everyone know, the new M83 album Hurry Up, We're Dreaming is AMAZING.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

my answer to this question will always be

"I am the cosmos" by Chris Bell

how everybody doesn't love this record is beyond me

how it isn't up there with ok computer and nevermind and revolver and blonde on blonde in all those greatest albums ever polls is beyond me

please listen to it and try to disagree with me

title track here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Been listening to Band Of Horses about 4 years now, have only seen them live once but they are working ona new albu mso get yourself into some Cease to Begin and you can begin your own journy. Great great band!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Been listening to Band Of Horses about 4 years now, have only seen them live once but they are working ona new albu mso get yourself into some Cease to Begin and you can begin your own journy. Great great band!

Funny you should say that, I have Everything All The Time and Infinite Arms but not Cease To Begin.

Love them too, especially Infinite Arms. Compliments was probably my favourite song from last year.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Funny you should say that, I have Everything All The Time and Infinite Arms but not Cease To Begin.

Love them too, especially Infinite Arms. Compliments was probably my favourite song from last year.

Cese to Begin is a much better piece imo than Infinite Arms. But they are such a great band and very under-rated. They are starting to get more regocnition now rom Infinite Arms. I would love to see them get more recognition on a global scale, but then alas you would have people accuse them of selling out. Catch 22!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

Right everyone, on the hunt for new music!

Have a broad taste and will appreciate anything as long as it sounds good,

For reference these are some of my favourite artists:

Arcade Fire
    Bloc Party
    Bombay Bicycle Club
    Delphic
    Editors
    The Maccabees
    The National
    Stornoway
    Maximo Park
    The Strokes
    Tv on the Radio
    Vampire Weekend

Arcade Fire
    Bloc Party
    Bombay Bicycle Club
    Delphic
    Editors
    The Maccabees
    The National
    Stornoway
    Maximo Park
    The Strokes
    Tv on the Radio
    Vampire Weekend

Joy Division. Every band you mentioned has taken at least one thing from Joy Division. To not listen to them is leaving yourself devoid of any depth and background to your favourite bands.

Band of Horses, see above posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 corbonykeidis

What I'm listening to now:

Jeff Buckly
    Fleet Foxes
    Local Natives
    Young the Giant
    James Vincent McMorrow
    Lykke Li

Any suggestions? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

What I'm listening to now:

Jeff Buckly
    Fleet Foxes
    Local Natives
    Young the Giant
    James Vincent McMorrow
    Lykke Li

Any suggestions? :)

Bill Callahan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Arcade Fire
    Bloc Party
    Bombay Bicycle Club
    Delphic
    Editors
    The Maccabees
    The National
    Stornoway
    Maximo Park
    The Strokes
    Tv on the Radio
    Vampire Weekend

Foals, Broken Social Scene, The Boxer Rebellion, Deerhunter. Also a young new band from Dublin called Spies.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

Foals, Broken Social Scene, The Boxer Rebellion, Deerhunter. Also a young new band from Dublin called Spies.

Thanks for the recommendations! Love the Foals already and have a Deerhunter album knocking around somewhere, will give the others a listen!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

10,000 Maniacs - The Wishing Chair
    Band of Horses - Everything All the Time

Just a couple of jangly types i could think of off the top of the noggin, bar the obvious ones........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭polakdot

the soundtrack to the movie.."magnolia" aimee mann

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bigfloppydonkey

Absolutely anything by Radiohead beside Pablo Honey, Fleet Foxes first album, Merriweather Post Pavilion and Strawberry Jam by Animal Collective, Interpol's first 2 albums, Surfer Rosa and Doolittle by The Pixies, Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Homogenic by Bjork, Boxer by The National. All unreal albums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ScarbCakes

Angles - Dan le Sac VS Scroobius Pip
    No Commercial Breaks - Scroobius Pip
    Yanqui-UXO Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    I'm Wide Awake Its Morning - Bright Eyes
    Sixteen Layers - I am No One
    Sparklehorse-Good Morning Spider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

ScarbCakes wrote: »
    Angles - Dan le Sac VS Scroobius Pip
    No Commercial Breaks - Scroobius Pip
    Yanqui-UXO Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    I'm Wide Awake Its Morning - Bright Eyes
    Sixteen Layers - I am No One
    Sparklehorse-Good Morning Spider

Distraction Pieces - Scroobius Pip is awesome. My favourite of his albums. Going to see him in November.

Distraction Pieces - Scroobius Pip is awesome. My favourite of his albums. Going to see him in November.
    Whelans? Me too :)

Love Scroobius Pip!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

This is not a random list thread. Please stop posting bands you like, it's not the purpose of this thread.

lordgoat wrote: »
    This is not a random list thread. Please stop posting bands you like, it's not the purpose of this thread.
    That's not what I was doing, I was replying to The___________ I just forgot to quote it,
    I don't see anywhere in my post where I said here are the bands I like....? I see that many people have replied without quoting.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭adomino

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Anyone care to recommend me a band/album. Listening to a lot of Editors, Brand New and Interpol lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

That_Guy wrote: »
    Anyone care to recommend me a band/album. Listening to a lot of Editors, Brand New and Interpol lately.
    I presume you've heard Joy Division, since Editors and Interpol draw most of their influences from them. If you haven't already you should give The National and The Horrors (not their first album though!) a listen as well.

Haven't listened to Brand New in years so I don't know what their more recent stuff sounds like. But one band you should check out are Sunny Day Real Estate, especially their album Diary. They were doing what bands like Brand New are doing only years earlier and far better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

White Lies. First album is decent, havent really heard much of their second. Personally I'd put them a level below Editors & Interpol but still worth a listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 bigfloppydonkey

Yeah The National are serious. Boxer is flawless. I'm really enjoying My Bloody Valentine at the minute. Their music takes a bit of patience because the production is so raw but it's well worth it. Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is gorgeous too. Not a bad track on it.

Advertisement