Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herberton Gym, Rialto

• 14-10-2010 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

I'm moving to Drimnagh soon and as a result will be looking to change gym to something closer to home (currently in Westpark Fitness Tallaght and love it).

I've heard great reviews of the gym at Herberton but can't seem to find any website for it despite numerous google searches. I'm wondering if anybody can tell me anything more about it like the type of facilities they have, staff, price range, is parking available, is it packed at peak times, are any classes offered, etc.

I'd be going maybe 2-3 times a week and looking for a good range of free weights and bench as opposed to only machine weights. A good mix of each would really be great if they had it!

If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 fravbront

Hello,

firstly, yeah, herberton would be a pretty good location for you, get a LUAS streight there from Drimnagh, would be nice and handy.

I was up the other day, they advertise www.herbertonleisure.ie as their website, but it doesn't exist?! No idea what the story is with that.

I'm joining up this week hopefully. I previously had a membership but only for a month, as I was cash strapped, and just wanted to test it out, before I went away for the summer. So I assume everything is the same as it was, 2-3 months ago.

I think this is a pretty good gym, i have never seen it anywhere near packed, even at what should have been peak times. It has good free weights, with dumbells up to 60kgs. I think there is only one squat rack, but a smith machine as well (although i don't like smith machines myself).

There is more than enough cardio machines, plenty of treadmills, rowing machines, and lots of bikes, cross trainers. There is also a punch bag area, which would be pretty handy is that was your thing. There is 2 studios that are used for classes, but most often empty so a nice area where you could strech, or do some skipping or something like that. There is the pretty standard set of resistance machines, (lat pulldown machine, weighted pull up bar, chest press, the various lower body ones etc) As well as this, there is a good set of 4 ( i think) heavier resistance machines, the ones you load the weights onto yourself. I found these to be quite good.

There is also a very nice pool area, with a regular pool, a hydrotherapy pool, a sauna, a jacuzzi and a steam room. It is a very nice set of facilities in the pool area, my only criticism is the pool isn't that big, although, its probably plenty big enough. With the jacuzzi and hydroptherapy pool, its a really nice place to warm down, and ensure you're not too stiff afterwards.

There is loads of classes offered, from spin, fat burner & abs, aqua arobics, to boxing fit and mini marathon training. I think the majority of these are included in the price ( I think) so its a pretty good deal, if you're going to do any.

I haven't had any experience of the staff yet, so haven't a clue about any of that.
    I don't drive, so not sure about parking, really don't know. As i said, LUAS will bring you almost to the door, maybe 40 second walk.

You should head down and check it out for yourself, especially if you're only around tallaght. Their number is 454 7963, is you wanna ask them anything.

If you have any more questions, post them here all ill try and answer them. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RosieP

Hi dublin24guy

Just saw your thread today, so excuse my slightly delayed response! I was a member of the Herberton until September and am planning on rejoining soon. The annual membership was around €350 at that time, they also have 6 month, 3 month and 1 month options.

I generally use the pool area so can't give you any info on the gym part I'm afraid. The pool area is lovely with 2 pools (one normal - think its about 15m, one with jets), sauna, steam room and jacuzzi.

Lots of classes, like abs, aqua aerobics, spinning, box-conditioning, most included in the membership price, with the exception of the usual yoga/pilates courses etc. The staff are friendly, the place is always very clean, and I've never found it packed.

Location is really good if coming from D12. The gym itself doesn't have a car park, but there is parking on the street outside and I've personally never had a problem finding a space.

You can see some photos of the gym and pool area on:
    http://www.herbertonapartments.com/herberton-photos.htm

Hope this info helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dublin24guy

Thanks a million for the info from you both.

I went and checked it out recently and thought it was great inside. The pool area really does look great, although a tad small. Gym had plenty in it so I'm very happy with what they seem to have there.

Only reservation I have now is the area its in. I don't want to come across wrong here but it did seem like the area around it was dodgey enough. Some funny looking characters hanging around the place. I'm wondering if it would in fact be safe to park your car there on the dark winter nights? It seemed quiet enough in the herberton area but literally down the street was another world all together!

Hey

The pool is small if you're a strong swimmer, for someone like me attempting to overcome a severe fear of water it's just perfect! :D

I get what you're saying about the area. I too was a little nervous at first. I tend to park directly outside the gym itself so don't really venture too far. Apart from a few young kids playing on the road I haven't come into contact with any locals.

Don't know if you've checked out the Carlisle Gym at the KCR, might be another option. Info at http://www.bendunnegyms.com/carlisle.php

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dublin24guy

Well congrats on getting into the pool! Hope the swimming is coming along well.

I've been down to see Carlisle too. It's that little bit further away and a lot busier so that's actually what spurred me on to look for something else in the area.

I guess if you go at peak times and always manage to park outside then that's a good sign so I think I'll go for it and join up in the next few weeks time.

Thanks again for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 HavanaC

The gym is great ...IF ONLY ONLY ONLY they had at least one tv down there to stare at to take the boredom away, it would be perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I know the gym isn't about television and is about exercise, but i go to the gym to keep fit and def not for the love of exercise, it would just be sooooo good to just have something to look at(OR at least the choice...like majority of gyms really) instead of a blank wall, just to speed up those minutes on the treadmill!! i would have rejoined if they had tvs, but i just can't bear the boredom!!! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 scuba chick

Hi guys if any of you have joined could you please give me an update on how the place is almost a year later???
    I dont live anywhere near Herberon/fatima, but my job is a 2 minutes walk way and seeing as my gym closed down today, with no notice I need somewhere to join for a short term period fast!!!
    Do they still offer their one month memberships and at what price?
    Is the equipment still relatively new and in working order?
    Do they have a decent weights area (doesnt have to be heavy weights)? and are the weight machines standard..I'm used to the very straight forward zest machines and find the newer models quite complicated...
    what are the opening hours?

Any information would be very much appreciated...

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

Hi guys if any of you have joined could you please give me an update on how the place is almost a year later???
    I dont live anywhere near Herberon/fatima, but my job is a 2 minutes walk way and seeing as my gym closed down today, with no notice I need somewhere to join for a short term period fast!!!
    Do they still offer their one month memberships and at what price?
    Is the equipment still relatively new and in working order?
    Do they have a decent weights area (doesnt have to be heavy weights)? and are the weight machines standard..I'm used to the very straight forward zest machines and find the newer models quite complicated...
    what are the opening hours?

Any information would be very much appreciated...

Im heading up on Monday to look at it, think they still do the one month membership, Il let you know on Monday after I check it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Dr Kildare

any update on membership fees?

Hi

Rejoined the Herberton last night. Was just in the pool so can't say what the gym was like in terms of equipment or no. of people. The pool area was nice and quiet, about 3-4 people in the jets pool. Myself and my friend had the swimming pool to ourselves. Got parking right outside the door no problem at 6pm.

Membership fees:

€349 - 1 year
    €239 - 6 months
    €139 - 3 months
    €49 - 1 month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

They could do with more weights, there's only one set of each so it can be hard to get the weight you want at peak times. Always seems to be someone else using the 12kgs.

The area is not the greatest, I was locking my bike on the street outside and some scanger walking past made a comment to me "hey mister, how much did that bike cost you?" Thankfully they'l let you leave your bike in the gym beside the counter. If you're parking your car there you definitely wouldn't want to leave any valuables.

The pool is only 15 meters so fairly pointless from my point of view.

The air conditioning isn't working in the men's changing rooms so not the most pleasant smell.

Other than that I'm pretty happy with my membership. The machines are all in working order, they'e open bank holidays and it's good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 NiaDublin

RosieP wrote: »
    Hi

Rejoined the Herberton last night. Was just in the pool so can't say what the gym was like in terms of equipment or no. of people. The pool area was nice and quiet, about 3-4 people in the jets pool. Myself and my friend had the swimming pool to ourselves. Got parking right outside the door no problem at 6pm.

Membership fees:

€349 - 1 year
    €239 - 6 months
    €139 - 3 months
    €49 - 1 month

Hi, thanks for the info. I have one more question. I read in the thread that the pool is small. Can you tell me if it's shallow or deep? Is it the kind of pool when your feet touch the floor all the time or is it deep enough to swim? Did you join any pool class, ie aquagym or the like?
    Thanks a million!

Hey NiaDublin

The pool is all the one depth i.e. no shallow and deep ends. Not sure the actual depth of the pool but I'm about 5'4 and it's up to my chest, if that helps. I didn't join the aqua aerobics class but did see them in action a few times and it looked like they were having fun. Mainly ladies taking the class.

You should call in and have a look around, see the place for yourself. Plus there's the option to join for just a month and see how you get on.

If you're looking for a bigger pool the new Swan Leisure in Rathmines has a 25m pool with moveable floor so they can vary the depth. www.swanleisure.ie

I've actually stopped going swimming now for the winter, don't fancy coming out in dark, cold evenings with wet hair! Will go back when the weather gets a bit better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 NiaDublin

I'll check the swimming pool you are talking about, but rathmines sounds like a bit too far for me. And yes, it's not nice going to the pool on winter evening, but i don't have much choice... I'm gain weight, I need to go back to sport. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭NoobSaibot5

Sorry to bump an old thread but I've had a horrible experience with this gym, and I'd advise against people joining it.

Its been 3 weeks since I've had to leave my local gym, Herberton Leisure in Dublin 8, and I'm disgusted by the lack of contact the management have made despite writing in a complaint. Was working out minding my own business and a bodybuilder nearby decided to lower his shorts to show a particular instructor the size of his thighs, to which the instructor decides to poke fun at me and joke out loud (in the middle of a room full of people) "now you better close your eyes, don't be looking!". Cue the other people in the room (women included, who weren't advised to look away) staring at me, laughing, and me sitting there mortified as 3 muscular macho men have a laugh at the gay guy in the gyms expense. It made me so self conscious and uncomfortable being made out to be a pervert that I left the gym and haven't returned.

To make matters worse this staff member has continuously dropped my appointments over the last year (despite asking me to book with him as I've an injured shoulder) and other staff members have made smart comments about me asking for his help implying I fancy him. Needless to say I'm disgusted with their lack of professionalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 TK1

that's absolutely terrible, but how did he know you were gay? And why would they think you fancy an instructor? Maybe it was just a crude joke? Bad taste though! I was half thinking of joining there which is why this popped up, but think ill give it a miss!

Advertisement