Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Got a speeding ticket but not sure who was driving..what happens

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

In the UK, if the owner fails to nominate someone they are charged with failing to furnish information, 6 points and a fine of 500 to 1000 pounds. Unless they name someone they will be stuck with something worse than the speeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 derek2901

not sure if this contradicts your earlier post?

Registered owner is responsible unless he can assign it to another and that other person agrees- that's it in a nutshell right?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

derek2901 wrote: »
    not sure if this contradicts your earlier post?

Registered owner is responsible unless he can assign it to another and that other person agrees- that's it in a nutshell right?

Earlier post was about Ireland.
    That one was about UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

In the UK, if the owner fails to nominate someone they are charged with failing to furnish information, 6 points and a fine of 500 to 1000 pounds. Unless they name someone they will be stuck with something worse than the speeding.

That's fair enough, assuming it doesn't come back to owner if other person bins the fine.
    One thing I'm wondering.
    6 penalty points?
    What in case owner doesn't have a licence.
    Obviously not every car owner needs to have a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    Yes nothing happened to you and you were not the owner.Did you know the owner? , did he still get the fine and points?
    CiniO wrote: »
    I would be strongly surprices if owner got fined for speeding in UK after nominating someone else, unless they could prove it was him driving and speeding.

I knew the owner and nothing ever happened. No points or anything.

It did occur to me that if I was pulled in the UK, something may pop up, but the plan is :"while I borrowed the car, I was asleep in the back and my mate billy was driving."

If it ever happened again, you could name billy murphy as the driver and if a letter arrived, I could sign it billy murphy.

(Although that could be illegal so I wouldn't do such a thing :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    That's fair enough, assuming it doesn't come back to owner if other person bins the fine.
    One thing I'm wondering.
    6 penalty points?
    What in case owner doesn't have a licence.
    Obviously not every car owner needs to have a licence.
    If the owner has no licence (a company for example) then no points just the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

Ok so who has the better system? In Ireland if you lend your car to a friend and the "friend" gets caught on camera speeding and then refuses to accept responsibility . Then the owner gets the points and fine for being so naive as to trust their friend.
    Or the Uk system where according to some other posts all you have to do is look up a name and address of someone outside the Uk and claim they were driving and you get away scot free.There are speed cameras all over the UK , the average British speeder must be very honest or very stupid .I don't think so.

Or the Uk system where according to some other posts all you have to do is look up a name and address of someone outside the Uk and claim they were driving and you get away scot free
    The UK cops are wise to that old rouse. They will demand evidence that this "friend" from abroad was driving. If they find you are lying a holiday with Bubba awaits you for perverting the course of justice.

The UK cops are wise to that old rouse. They will demand evidence that this "friend" from abroad was driving. If they find you are lying a holiday with Bubba awaits you for perverting the course of justice.
    Good to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

You have a way with words and I like it !:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

A UK case, but if the photo doesn't show whos driving, you might have a case

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-202833/Christine-Hamilton-cleared-speeding.html

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

A person could do the following if they were not driving

- decide to fight the case in court
    - produce the driver on the day to testify that they were driving and not the owner
    - case against owner is thrown out
    - law does not allow Gardai to go after the driver as it is outside time limit to issue a summons

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

What if it was a fine for tax? Out of curiosity, who would be responsible then?

- produce the driver on the day to testify that they were driving and not the owner
    - law does not allow Gardai to go after the driver as it is outside time limit to issue a summons

Yep, plus, even if they could go after him, wouldn't they need your testimony in his court case? They wouldn't have any other evidence against him. They couldn't force you to give evidence, so wouldn't they have to let it go?

Not a lot they could do.

Until they introduce an offence of failing to name, the situation as above can play out.

firefly08 wrote: »
    What if it was a fine for tax? Out of curiosity, who would be responsible then?

Yep, plus, even if they could go after him, wouldn't they need your testimony in his court case? They wouldn't have any other evidence against him. They couldn't force you to give evidence, so wouldn't they have to let it go?

This is great news. Who's going to go first then?
    Of course they could force you and if you tell a different story from the one you told the first time you'll be done for perjury and Bubba will be waiting ,as our man in Havanna put so well before.

Of course they could force you

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

How is it perjury? You are simply exercising right to go to court.

You wait until court date, as you are entitled to and tell story there and the driver admits he was driving. At that point the alleged speeding offense will be outside time period for fixed penalty or summons.

Remember the court system would break down if everybody exercised their right to go to court over alleged speeding offences

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

if they cant identify who was driving..do you have an old granny with a licence..

How is it perjury? You are simply exercising right to go to court.

I think he meant it would perjury if you accused the other guy in your court case and then gave a different story in his one. This is assuming that the Gaurds could somehow charge him, presumably if the time limit had not run out or whatever. But in that case, I can't see how they could proceed without your voluntary cooperation. Human memory is fickle - I have never heard of anyone being forced to testify to a certain effect against their will.

Advertisement