Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland De-Facto Visa

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

FalconXV wrote: »
    Well maybe. Lad I went to school with waited 6 months for a Fiancee visa for his Scottish lass. Talk about torture. Lucky he was over in Aus working so they didn't have to find a place to live.
    I haven't gone the de-facto route in Aus yet, but have had three separate visas and it's nice to be able to pick up the phone and talk to someone.:D I need to get the finger out and do the de-facto application soon, start chipping away away at the probationary period. I've heard the application is no picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sophie4187

I got my letter today confirming that I have received a Stamp 4 for 12 months massive relief.

A lot of people I know get family members to transfer money in to their account for visa apps. Just as long as it's not a lump sum and it's seeking permission to remain so have to prove that you aren't relient on the state. Do you have VHI or other private insurance cover? That's important too. They should have told you in writing why they are querying your finances, the people at the help desk don't give much away on the phone. I sent in my bank statements from Australia as I had been working there recently.

If you don't get a response back by Nov 3 you will have to go up to Burgh Quay to get your passport back.

Congrats! Must be a huge relieft. I am hoping once all this stuff gets mailed in on Monday that it'll be good enough. I do have private medical insurance from the states that will cover me here in Ireland. I sent in a letter from them stating that.

I have no clue why they are querying about my finances. We sent in our joint bank statement which I have access to, as well as my savings account in the US (which has very little since I don't use it), and my partner's Irish account, in which I use as well. We're not rich by any means but we also have a bit. My partner is a teacher, so has a steady income. I sent in 6 months of payslips from her job. As for me, no jobs available here in tiny ol' Clare while I was on a Working Holiday.

Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭FalconXV

Australian visas are tough. The 9 months to get married fiancee visa puts a lot of pressure on couples and their families and friends. Thankfully I don't have to go down that road. Anyone who hasn't applied yet should do so soon otherwise it's getting closer to Christmas where Government staff take time off which can delay responses. TD's do too and in cases like these you might need their assistance. To save hassle get it in coherent order and include future plans for you and your partner in Ireland so you give them no reason to write back to you asking for more information. In a way you have to show that you want to stay in Ireland long term rather than using it to stay for a couple of years before shifting off elsewhere.
    sophie4187 wrote: »
    Congrats! Must be a huge relieft. I am hoping once all this stuff gets mailed in on Monday that it'll be good enough. I do have private medical insurance from the states that will cover me here in Ireland. I sent in a letter from them stating that.

I have no clue why they are querying about my finances. We sent in our joint bank statement which I have access to, as well as my savings account in the US (which has very little since I don't use it), and my partner's Irish account, in which I use as well. We're not rich by any means but we also have a bit. My partner is a teacher, so has a steady income. I sent in 6 months of payslips from her job. As for me, no jobs available here in tiny ol' Clare while I was on a Working Holiday.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks it's a huge relief.

Is the bank statement just a print out from your internet banking or is it a bank letterhead one with your Irish address on it? Before I left Australia I changed my address and got them to print it out for me in the branch so I could submit it with my app. I had a feeling they might reject an online banking one.

Your situation is tough as you would have no PRSI contributions, tax records and employer references as record of your history and contribution in the state. What sort of work were you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

4 months is ridiculous was the whole department on holiday during the summer or something?

4 months is actually very fast for that incompetent "department". I would love a processing time of 4 months. I am waiting on my husband's (newly married :)) Spouse of Irish national application. In the letter they stated current processing times are 6 to 9 months but that it can take up to a year :(

Monife wrote: »
    4 months is actually very fast for that incompetent "department". I would love a processing time of 4 months. I am waiting on my husband's (newly married :)) Spouse of Irish national application. In the letter they stated current processing times are 6 to 9 months but that it can take up to a year :(

That's just drivel they post on their website (that desperately needs to be updated) to cover themselves.

• Advertisement

Any news Sophie?

Australian visas are tough. The 9 months to get married fiancee visa puts a lot of pressure on couples and their families and friends. Thankfully I don't have to go down that road. Anyone who hasn't applied yet should do so soon otherwise it's getting closer to Christmas where Government staff take time off which can delay responses. TD's do too and in cases like these you might need their assistance. To save hassle get it in coherent order and include future plans for you and your partner in Ireland so you give them no reason to write back to you asking for more information. In a way you have to show that you want to stay in Ireland long term rather than using it to stay for a couple of years before shifting off elsewhere.

Thanks it's a huge relief.

Is the bank statement just a print out from your internet banking or is it a bank letterhead one with your Irish address on it? Before I left Australia I changed my address and got them to print it out for me in the branch so I could submit it with my app. I had a feeling they might reject an online banking one.

Your situation is tough as you would have no PRSI contributions, tax records and employer references as record of your history and contribution in the state. What sort of work were you looking for?

Well I was told that I could only work for 3 months per job I found, if any, with my Working Holiday Visa. I applied everywhere - retail shops, grocery stores, etc. but no jobs were going! Since my partner supported me successfully for the year that I was here, as well as each time I've visited, I thought they would know that I wouldn't depend on welfare. I would be actively looking for a job until I found one, even if it were part-time. I am a full-time student (online courses) so I don't know how that will play.

As soon as my recent US statement comes in, I am going to send that, along with a 6-month statement from our joint account. I just use my partner's laser if I need anything so our joint account is for savings. My US account is as well, which is why I don't have much in that one.

I don't see how I should be not allowed to live with my partner that we've proven to have for 3 years because I wasn't able to find a job. Most Irish people can't find jobs at this moment.

Anyway, sent off my passport yesterday and my extra financial info should be mailed off tomorrow. Praying!

Well I was told that I could only work for 3 months per job I found, if any, with my Working Holiday Visa. I applied everywhere - retail shops, grocery stores, etc. but no jobs were going! Since my partner supported me successfully for the year that I was here, as well as each time I've visited, I thought they would know that I wouldn't depend on welfare. I would be actively looking for a job until I found one, even if it were part-time. I am a full-time student (online courses) so I don't know how that will play.

As soon as my recent US statement comes in, I am going to send that, along with a 6-month statement from our joint account. I just use my partner's laser if I need anything so our joint account is for savings. My US account is as well, which is why I don't have much in that one.

I don't see how I should be not allowed to live with my partner that we've proven to have for 3 years because I wasn't able to find a job. Most Irish people can't find jobs at this moment.

Anyway, sent off my passport yesterday and my extra financial info should be mailed off tomorrow. Praying!

I think it was 6 months in the one job when I had the working holiday permit (I think it varies for each country). I doubt they really check how long you are with the company and some Irish employers and agencies don't even look at the visas. Were you looking in just Clare or Limerick and Galway too? I had to apply for jobs when I was looking in other counties and there was little going in Clare. Full time student in Ireland or by correspondence? With the Irish student visa you can only work 20 hours per week. I ended up getting a Christmas job when I arrived. You should arrange an appointment with your partner's TD they have different correspondence to the normal channels that we have to put up with and might get your application fast tracked. You end up wasting a load of phone credit trying to ring the INIS helpline every Thursday.

I think it was 6 months in the one job when I had the working holiday permit (I think it varies for each country). I doubt they really check how long you are with the company and some Irish employers and agencies don't even look at the visas. Were you looking in just Clare or Limerick and Galway too? I had to apply for jobs when I was looking in other counties and there was little going in Clare. Full time student in Ireland or by correspondence? With the Irish student visa you can only work 20 hours per week. I ended up getting a Christmas job when I arrived. You should arrange an appointment with your partner's TD they have different correspondence to the normal channels that we have to put up with and might get your application fast tracked. You end up wasting a load of phone credit trying to ring the INIS helpline every Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

You should arrange an appointment with your partner's TD they have different correspondence to the normal channels that we have to put up with and might get your application fast tracked. QUOTE]

Exactly whats wrong with politics in this country.

• Advertisement

No, I looked in Ennis and Limerick.... if I am allowed, I will go on to Galway and even Cork! I'm bored just sitting at home doing schoolwork. Even if I could get 2 days a week, I'd be happy. I've read about situations in which students are here on a visa trying to get a de facto - they were given the stamp 4 but were told they were not to rely on welfare if they couldn't find a job. Hoping that will be my case. I am taking online courses online from my college in the US and sent them all the information from that. I'm not just sitting around here doing nothing. I am going to try and call today in regards to my passport! Will be sending in financial docs as they requested today as well.

I just would hope that they understand that it's hard to get a job in this country for anyone..... I will be actively looking for one! Trust me, I don't like that fact that my partner has had to support me all this time.

TDs are there to provide a service to the community. It's no different to having a personal contact inside the department. The phone line and email address is a joke if they aren't going to much detail away. They are basically asking for it as people are forced to go down to Burgh Quay. My immigration gard doesn't even have a direct line to the Department of Justice. Now that's a joke
    No, I looked in Ennis and Limerick.... if I am allowed, I will go on to Galway and even Cork! I'm bored just sitting at home doing schoolwork. Even if I could get 2 days a week, I'd be happy. I've read about situations in which students are here on a visa trying to get a de facto - they were given the stamp 4 but were told they were not to rely on welfare if they couldn't find a job. Hoping that will be my case. I am taking online courses online from my college in the US and sent them all the information from that. I'm not just sitting around here doing nothing. I am going to try and call today in regards to my passport! Will be sending in financial docs as they requested today as well.

I just would hope that they understand that it's hard to get a job in this country for anyone..... I will be actively looking for one! Trust me, I don't like that fact that my partner has had to support me all this time.

Getting a job in Ireland is difficult but it's even more difficult if you don't have the right contacts or relatives. Not relying on welfare is standard for a defacto stamp 4.

I hear ya. I know that it's tough but I wouldn't rely on welfare, as I was here for a year on a Working Holiday without finding work and did just fine. We'll see.

In my opinion, they need to be more clear on their website about ALL the things they are looking for. It just says to prove a durable 2 year relationship, which we have, obviously.

Spent 10 minutes on hold this morning trying to get info about my passport. Said they were sending it via registered post today, which is something at least!

The website needs a complete over haul. It's the definition of clutter. You do have to do your own research to put the app together. The local immigration gards know less than we do and they are supposed to be our local support.

Did you get your passport and visa?

I did get my passport in time - though the ferryport didn't even check it :rolleyes: as for my visa - sent in all my financial info about 2 weeks ago, got confirmation a day or two later and haven't heard anything since..... it's annoying. i'm going to call tomorrow and see what's going on, especially since my visitor's visa expires in like 4 days.

what i don't understand is that we obviously satisfied them that we are in a genuine relationship of over 2 years - don't know what the hold up is!

They don't check it going in to the UK but coming back there is a good chance the Irish immigration gards will be at the border. Sounds like you have to go to your local immigration gard and get them to stamp it for you. There is a good chance they won't tell you over the phone much.

Nope, coming back in was the same story - just walked through a door and out!

Ya, that's what I told my girlfriend about the phone thing but she insisted that I call :rolleyes:

Did you get hold of the GNIB?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

TDs are there to provide a service to the community. It's no different to having a personal contact inside the department. The phone line and email address is a joke if they aren't going to much detail away. They are basically asking for it as people are forced to go down to Burgh Quay. My immigration gard doesn't even have a direct line to the Department of Justice. Now that's a joke

Getting a job in Ireland is difficult but it's even more difficult if you don't have the right contacts or relatives. Not relying on welfare is standard for a defacto stamp 4.

The role of a TD is to sit in the Dail and to legislate, they are not there to write letters and interfere with the running of departments. It is this type of gombeen rural parish pump vote buying that has this country in the state that it is in.

Immigration matters are handled by INIS, an applicant provides the documentation to prove that he/she meets the conditions of whatever he/she is applying for, the application is reviewed and will be granted or denied based on the facts and the processing time stated. TDs, immigration lawyers, etc cannot change the rules, if the conditions are met the application will be approved, if they are not it will be refused. The same applies in other countries.

• Advertisement

vikingdub wrote: »
    The role of a TD is to sit in the Dail and to legislate, they are not there to write letters and interfere with the running of departments. It is this type of gombeen rural parish pump vote buying that has this country in the state that it is in.

Immigration matters are handled by INIS, an applicant provides the documentation to prove that he/she meets the conditions of whatever he/she is applying for, the application is reviewed and will be granted or denied based on the facts and the processing time stated. TDs, immigration lawyers, etc cannot change the rules, if the conditions are met the application will be approved, if they are not it will be refused. The same applies in other countries.

They aren't interfering with running departments and changing rules. The TD also provide a service to the community and that includes public services (and dealing with issues). They are a point of contact. Had I not contacted my TD I would probably be still waiting for my response and be out of money. Being proactive got me my decision and my job back. Sophie submitted her application before me and is still waiting for a decision.

Did you get hold of the GNIB?

I did - got straight through, surprisingly enough. Guy was very nice - said that I was fine if I overstayed, as long as my application was processing. He checked on my application and said his colleague was currently processing it.

I understand they are busy and have a lot to do, but I submitted my application the 9th of September. I followed what the INIS said to submit and as for proving my relationship, I was successful. If they wanted more financial documents other than recent ones, you would think they would be more explanatory on their website.

Also, a helpline that is only open 2 1/2 hours a week is not very helpful....

They aren't interfering with running departments and changing rules. The TD also provide a service to the community and that includes public services (and dealing with issues). They are a point of contact. Had I not contacted my TD I would probably be still waiting for my response and be out of money. Being proactive got me my decision and my job back. Sophie submitted her application before me and is still waiting for a decision.

Do you understand the role of a TD? Clearly not, the role of the TD is to legislate not to make phone calls and write letters about passports, medical cards or in your case an immigration issue. A TD (Teachta Dála) is to legislate, not to indulge in gombeen, rural, clientelism, in other words exchanging favours for votes. This culture is anti-democratic and needs to be stamped out. It has come to a sorry state when even non-citizens feel they are entitled to bypass the democratic process and the operations of goverment departments in this manner.

Do you understand the role of a TD? Clearly not, the role of the TD is to legislate not to make phone calls and write letters about passports, medical cards or in your case an immigration issue. A TD (Teachta Dála) is to legislate, not to indulge in gombeen, rural, clientelism, in other words exchanging favours for votes. This culture is anti-democratic and needs to be stamped out. It has come to a sorry state when even non-citizens feel they are entitled to bypass the democratic process and the operations of goverment departments in this manner.

You obviously don't realise that TD's are also there to help the community, secure funding for local projects and voice their opinion, push for job creation. How do you think jobs are created in the first place. TD's have to lobby the IDA and companies to secure jobs. Kerry is going through this with the GPCE. Projects like Kerry General weren't built on private money solely. TD's on behalf of the community to push for funding. Plus your partner is an Irish citizen and voter! We don't just pay them to legislate!!! You are deluded if they are just there to create bills and laws.

You obviously don't realise that TD's are also there to help the community, secure funding for local projects and voice their opinion, push for job creation. How do you think jobs are created in the first place. TD's have to lobby the IDA and companies to secure jobs. Kerry is going through this with the GPCE. Projects like Kerry General weren't built on private money solely. TD's on behalf of the community to push for funding. Plus your partner is an Irish citizen and voter! We don't just pay them to legislate!!! You are deluded if they are just there to create bills and laws.

Your post clearly illustrates all that is wrong with this country, the clientalism and rural gombeen politics. A TDs role is not to secure local funding, local jobs, planning permissions, grants for the gaa, etc. You refer to Kerry which explains a lot, the previous failed governments supped with the devil in the form of the vile and dispicable healy raes in a case study of the worst of Irish political clientalism. Naturally the people who did best out of this disgraceful eposide were the Healy Raes, their businesses, their cronies and other hangers-on. You would probably also favour a return to public service recruitment being run by local TDs and councillors with jobs in their "gift" - of course this system may still prevail in Kerry.

You may wish to live in a country rife with such lack of values, decency and corruption but I certainly do not.

The delusion lies with your display of woeful ignorance.

Your post clearly illustrates all that is wrong with this country, the clientalism and rural gombeen politics. A TDs role is not to secure local funding, local jobs, planning permissions, grants for the gaa, etc. You refer to Kerry which explains a lot, the previous failed governments supped with the devil in the form of the vile and dispicable healy raes in a case study of the worst of Irish political clientalism. Naturally the people who did best out of this disgraceful eposide were the Healy Raes, their businesses, their cronies and other hangers-on. You would probably also favour a return to public service recruitment being run by local TDs and councillors with jobs in their "gift" - of course this system may still prevail in Kerry.

You may wish to live in a country rife with such lack of values, decency and corruption but I certainly do not.

The delusion lies with your display of woeful ignorance.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/national_government/houses_of_the_oireachtas/work_of_a_td.html

http://www.rte.ie/news/election2011/newtds.html

I suggest your read those links to cover your own ignorance.

Such a Dublin centric viewpoint. I suggest you go and spend some time in the west of Ireland to see what work TDs especially do to get jobs, infrastructure, school funding in their communities or do you hope that people have to go to Dublin or Cork to get healthcare, travel on roads covered in potholes, travel up to Dublin just to speak to a Government Department, have poor school facilities and queue up outside social welfare as no jobs are available? People like Dick Spring have brought a lot of business in to Kerry (especially businesses like Fexco), proper health care facilities. Taxpayers don't pay them a 100k a year just to legislate. There is a reason why a lot of Dail sittings have a lot of empty seats. The TDs are out working in their constituencies that's why. How else do you think counties outside of Dublin and Cork secure funding to improve people's standard of living?

I did - got straight through, surprisingly enough. Guy was very nice - said that I was fine if I overstayed, as long as my application was processing. He checked on my application and said his colleague was currently processing it.

I understand they are busy and have a lot to do, but I submitted my application the 9th of September. I followed what the INIS said to submit and as for proving my relationship, I was successful. If they wanted more financial documents other than recent ones, you would think they would be more explanatory on their website.

Also, a helpline that is only open 2 1/2 hours a week is not very helpful....

I would still see the local immigration gard so they don't serve you a deportation notice as some don't know the rules. My immigration gard had no clue when I first saw her. She has no direct contact number with the GNIB to ask them questions. Maybe ask if you can get a Stamp 3. If you get a deportation letter they give you a few weeks grace period to leave if you have overstayed (I don't know what the penalty for overstaying is in Ireland, in the UK they can give you a 10 year ban from entering the country). When I got my Stamp 3 renewed after arriving back in the country I told that gard that I will be applying for the defacto Stamp 4 it's better to let them know your situation.

Got letter in the mail today stating that I had gotten my Stamp 4 - Overjoyed is an understatement!!!!!!!!

Well done. Lucky timing take it to the immi gard asap. Thankfully my gard has a chip and pin machine so i can get my GNIB card straight away. When I got my working holiday visa stamped I had to take a money order form down to the bank to pay the 150 euro and it took a week for the money to clear the bank before I could get my stamp and card. Probably too late to apply for Christmas seasonal work

• Advertisement

Yea, same her - for my Working Holiday it took like a week - I guess we'll see when we go in. Just tricky trying to find time as my partner works all day and her boss is a real pain about letting off!!

Advertisement