Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Indaver Incinerator at Duleek Co. Meath

• 27-08-2010 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm surprised there no thread on the new incinerator been built up near Duleek Co. Meath, just of the M1 at the 1st Drogheda exit (the one that takes you to the big cement factory on the left of the M1)

The central structure is very advanced at this stage and is quite impressive. I must stop the next time I pass that way and get a few snaps.

Here's an article about it from an old newspaper article.

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/articles/1/30810

Work starts on building €130m waste incinerator

Profile by Ann Casey

Duleek objectors say they will fight for robust independent controls

Image related to story 30810, see caption or article text
    Work has got underway at the site of the new Indaver incinerator near Duleek in the past week.

Work on the controversial waste incinerator at Carranstown, Duleek - Ireland"s first commercial thermal treatment plant - finally began last week, almost a decade after it was first proposed.

The €130 million incinerator, which has been bitterly opposed in a 10-year battle by the local community, will take two-and-a-half years to build and will process 200,000 tonnes of municipal waste each year.

Work began last week on site preparation and extending the entrance to the site at Carranstown, outside Duleek.

The erection of a hoarding, the provision of an additional traffic lane to facilitate site traffic and other preparatory works will continue over the next few weeks.

Indaver has appointed John Sisk and Son Ltd as main contractor for the preliminary works, which will last three months.

An international consortium of French companies Litwin and LAB and the Danish company Volund will build the state-of-the-art waste-to-energy facility. This consortium is also expected to include an Irish construction company to assist in further construction work; the Irish contractor will be appointed in the coming months.

Construction of the project is valued at €130 million and is expected to take two-and-a-half years, with the waste-to-energy plant set to be operational from the start of 2011, and employing 60 people.

Expressing his dismay that work has started on the project, Pat O"Brien of local campaign group, the No Incineration Alliance, said the incinerator would have a serious and negative effect on everybody"s health and wellbeing.

However, as it was going to built, he said the very least they could do was fight for proper controls and regulations to be independently enforced by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

He called on Environment Minister John Gormley to ensure that an independent baseline study of all existing toxins within the region be completed without delay, 'This would give us a strong indication of what levels are at now, and if we have any problems with the incinerator in future, at least have something to compare it with,' he said.

Mr O"Brien said the cost of the independent study could be funded by all the companies involved, with heavy industries in the region including Indaver, Irish Cement, GreenStar and others contributing.

'We have been calling for baseline studies plus a proper detailed health impact assessment for some time now and Minister Gormley should ensure they are completed as soon as possible and certainly before construction is completed,' Mr O"Brien added.

He also called for a permanent EPA regional office within this area to help to give confidence to local residents in relation to proper monitoring and regulation of the facility. He also demanded that the EPA be properly funded and staffed, and that it would have the legal powers to do there job properly.

'At the moment, they are seen as a toothless monster, with no real powers to do the job they are meant to be doing,' he claimed.

The incinerator project was the most controversial planning application ever to come before Meath County Council, with more than 4,000 individual objections to the original planning application and a petition against the plan signed by 27,000 people.

Among the original objectors were former Taoiseach John Bruton, An Taisce, the No Incineration Alliance, local councillors and Northern Ireland Unionists.

Planning permission for the development was granted by Meath County Council in 2001 and, the following year, Bord Pleanála heard a large number of objections during a lengthy oral hearing, but gave the project the green light in 2003 against the advice of its senior planning inspector, James Carroll.

A further planning application to expand the incinerator was approved by Bord Pleanála last year. Indaver had applied to increase the plant"s size by one-third, enabling it to take 200,000 tonnes of waste a year, rather than the previous total of 150,000 and to increase the proposed height of the chimney stack from 40 to 65 metres.

A licence to operate an incinerator was granted to the company by the Environmental Protection Agency in 2005 and, last year, the Supreme Court ruled in favour of the company, following a lengthy legal battle against the proposal by local resident, Eric Martin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

It's called "Indaver"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I thought Duleek got Invaded!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Just did a bit more digging and found a page dedicated to the construction progress on the main Indaver Ireland website.

October update included and loads of progress shots. Really cool looking construction site as you pass as it's more or less been built from the inside out and you can really see the progress.

http://www.indaver.ie/Construction-Update.1599.0.html?&L=0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

He called on Environment Minister John Gormley to ensure that an independent baseline study of all existing toxins within the region be completed without delay

Gormley doesnt give a **** about incinerators as long as they are not in his own constituency, he is the ultimate NIMBY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭eia340600

Either that or he doesn't want to destroy Dublin's greatest natural amenity (the bay) by plonking a big waste plant there.Incinerators aren't as harmful to the environment as landfills, so why should he oppose them in favor of landfills..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Does Indaver have a geographic restriction on where it can get input waste from? If not, a transfer station at North Wall could load up the Tara Mines wagons with inner city waste and send them back full.

Anyone have anymore info on this yet? October still last update on website. Passed it the other day but it was dark so didn't get much of a look. Still not fully clad yet so can still see boiler etc.

Even though noone seems interested in Irelands 1st large scale incinerator I'll still plough on with an update :)

Although it's dated back in Feb it has a few new pics since I last posted. I must take a spin by there soon as I'm sure it's all cladded at this stage and must be getting ready for commissioning tests around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

I used to work for Indaver..

It is only municipal waste incinerator, doesn't do HAZ waste which we really need in this country more than anything.

This is not being managed / driven by Irish people lol... tis mainly being driven from Belgium where Indaver have a proven track record in building and managing these mammoths.

The tonnage for this is only small compared to what was proposed in Dublin port, approx 1/3 of the volume if i remember correctly

I used to work for Indaver..

It is only municipal waste incinerator, doesn't do HAZ waste which we really need in this country more than anything.

Luckily - this is not being managed / driven by Irish people lol... tis mainly being driven from Belgium where Indaver have a proven track record in building and managing these mammoths.

The tonnage for this is only small compared to what was proposed in Dublin port, approx 1/3 of the volume if i remember correctly

Yeah all the Haz stuff gets exported which I though would be illegal under EU rules (i.e. deal with waste where it originates). Suppose we can use the "we dont have anywhere to deal with it" excuse.

Did the haz one in Ringaskiddy Cork ever get planning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

To the best of my knowledge no. It wasn't feasible to build one without haz waste line and not economically viable to build one later so it went on hold I think pending planning appeals if I remember correctly. Could've changed in past while.

I spent a good bit of time in Belgium in these Waste to Energy plant and while they are not pretty looking over there, they are very low impact on environment, the aesthetics of one in Meath is far superior.

When you look at the size of the Meath waste to energy plant only 20% of the mass is where waste gets burned. There rest of it houses the technology for cleaning / scrubbing the gases released during the incineration process. If I remember correctly there is 7 different processes here before gases are released into the air.

The haz has to go somewhere, mostly Belgium, Germany and Netherlands.

To the best of my knowledge no. It wasn't feasible to build one without haz waste line and not economically viable to build one later so it went on hold I think pending planning appeals if I remember correctly. Could've changed in past while.

I spent a good bit of time in Belgium in these Waste to Energy plant and while they are not pretty looking over there, they are very low impact on environment, the aesthetics of one in Meath is far superior.

When you look at the size of the Meath waste to energy plant only 20% of the mass is where waste gets burned. There rest of it houses the technology for cleaning / scrubbing the gases released during the incineration process. If I remember correctly there is 7 different processes here before gases are released into the air.

The haz has to go somewhere, mostly Belgium, Germany and Netherlands.

Yeah the last update on the Meath one highlights the size of the waste hopper compared to the rest of the plant.

I think it's the other way round down in Cork (did a bit more digging last night) The haz part was getting the nod from ABP but the municipal part was ruled out as it did not comply with the Cork County Waste Plan "at this time" so it may come back in play in the future.

Yeah used to see loads of those "Snowie" trucks taking the stuff out of the country for processing around the time of the BSE and F&M crisis. think they used to be heading for the Neatherands.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

eia340600 wrote: »
    Incinerators aren't as harmful to the environment as landfills, so why should he oppose them in favor of landfills..

A truth so often missed by those who campaign against them. End of the day, we have waste that has to be dealt with.

cargo wrote: »
    I think it's the other way round down in Cork (did a bit more digging last night) The haz part was getting the nod from ABP but the municipal part was ruled out as it did not comply with the Cork County Waste Plan "at this time" so it may come back in play in the future.
    Indaver waste plan refused permission
    The board ruled that the provision of a municipal waste incinerator was inappropriate, having regard to the layout and limited size of the Ringaskiddy site and the waste management strategies of both Cork city and county councils.
    I wonder what Cork city and county councils waste management strategies are - just throw it in a hole?

The Times certainly took an interest in this, more articles here and here

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pete_Cavan wrote: »

I wonder what Cork city and county councils waste management strategies are - just throw it in a hole?

May also be "send it to Poolbeg".

Pete_Cavan wrote: »

The Times certainly took an interest in this, more articles here and here

Not done and dusted yet down in Cork it seems.....

http://www.examiner.ie/breakingnews/ireland/waste-incinerator-firm-permitted-to-appeal-refusal-of-planning-permission-514176.html

Waste incinerator firm permitted to appeal refusal of planning permission
    Monday, July 25, 2011 - 06:28 PM

Indaver Ireland have secured permission of the High Court to challenge An Bord Pleanála's refusal to grant the company planning permission to build a waste incinerator at Ringaskiddy, Co Cork.

The company has brought judicial review proceedings on ground including the board erred in law in its decision to refuse permission to build the incinerator.

In its decision last June refusing permission the board said the application for a municipal waste incinerator was not compatible with the waste management strategy plan for Co Cork.

The board also cited the risk of coastal erosion and flooding and the size of the development of the 30 acre site at Ringaskiddy.

Belgian registered Indaver NV, trading as Indaver Ireland Haddington Terrace Dun Laoghaoire, Dublin, have brought proceedings aimed at quashing the board's decision of June 9, 2011, refusing Indaver's application to develop a waste to energy facility for hazardous and non-hazardous waste and a transfer station at the site located on lands opposite the National Maritime College, Ringaskiddy, Co Cork.

Indaver are also seeking an order from the High Court remitting the application to the board for its further consideration.

In its proceedings Indaver are further seeking a declaration the board has erred in law in refusing the application and it has acted in breach of fair procedures in its consideration of the application.

Cork County Council are a notice party to the proceedings.

Moving the application, Garrett Simons SC for Indaver said the challenge is taken on a number of grounds.

These included that the board made a conclusive determination on a material element of the application before an Environmental Impact Assessment was completed. This counsel said was contrary to European law.

Counsel also submitted the board incorrectly interpreted section 37F 1B of the Planning and Developments Act 2006 by reaching a conclusive determination on an aspect of the application.

In this case the Board refused to grant permission to allow municipal waste be incinerated at the proposed facility.

The section, counsel said, allows the Board to make a provisional view only and that view must be subject to review and further information submitted.

Counsel also said the Board failed in its obligations to keep itself informed of, and have regard to, Government policy and the policy of the relevant local authority - in particular the relevant development plan which includes the relevant waste management plan.

The Board, counsel submitted, failed to consider the need for thermal treatment of residual municipal waste at the time of its decision

Today at the High Court leave to bring the challenge was granted, on an ex parte one side only basis, by Mr Justice Michael Peart.

The Judge made the matter returnable to October when the new legal term commences.

Few new updates on Indaver's main website.

There's a few updates on the construction website also since I last looked. June 2011 is the most recent post and there's also a July 2011 newsletter to download.

This article suggests it'll be operational in September. (I see it's dated from the start of this year)

60% of New Recruits at Indaver Plant from Meath
    17-02-2011
    Indaver has almost completed its current recruitment process for direct employees at the Waste-to-Energy facility in Duleek, Co. Meath. 60% of those employed are from the Meath area, with 20% being from the local Duleek community.

Over 850 applications were received by Indaver for the various positions, including operators, shift leaders and engineering positions. The successful candidates have now commenced employment at the site. Of those employed, 60% are from the local Meath area with 20% of employees from the immediate area of Duleek. Over the next few months the new recruits will undergo intensive training in preparation for full operation of the facility in September 2011. An essential part of the training process is a gaining practical hands on experience in a fully operational environment. This means several trips to Belgium to work alongside colleagues in one of Indaver's sister plants.

The Manager of the facility Bart Verlinden said of his new colleagues ‘I am positively impressed by the level of competency, ambition and drive of our new recruits. I am delighted that we found the right people for the right roles in the local area.”

When fully operational in September 2011, the waste-to-energy facility will accept up to 200,000 tonnes of waste and operate with 50 staff. Alongside the running of the waste-to-energy plant is the Community Fund. Depending on the annual tonnage into the site, Indaver donates money towards a fund for the Meath community. At the current capacity this means an annual fund of €250,000 to the community per annum.

Construction of the facility is now entering the final stages. The main components needed for each stage of the process are now in place including waste treatment, energy production and cleaning. The cladding which as been designed to blend in with the local landscape is currently being erected and the grey and greens will be visible in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

funny how local representatives in Cork plead for plants to stay open/locate in East Cork but want to imagine away the resulting waste.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was reading some of that newsletter in a customer in Duleek, they'd left in loads of copies for the public to take.

It stated that they want to get permission to burn "light toxic waste" or some similar term, paint cans and the like that aren't particularly nasty and which they claim the plant already has all the kit for.

MYOB wrote: »
    I was reading some of that newsletter in a customer in Duleek, they'd left in loads of copies for the public to take.

It stated that they want to get permission to burn "light toxic waste" or some similar term, paint cans and the like that aren't particularly nasty and which they claim the plant already has all the kit for.

Here's the bit from the newsletter you're talking about. Well put together newsletter outlining the upcoming commissioning schedule and also minor amendments they are going to make to the planning permission for hte site. (extended hours, roadsigns etc)

it is Indaver’s intention to expand the scope of the facility to be able to treat light industrial hazardous waste such as paint cans and empty contaminated packaging. Currently the majority of this waste is sent abroad and is treated in waste to energy facilities in Europe using the same grate furnace technology that is now available in the Meath Waste-to-Energy Facility.

• Advertisement

Anyone know if this went online yet for commercial operation?

Surprised the amount of chatter in here about it as I would have thought it was one of the biggest developments in the waste sector in Ireland in recent years. Now all we need is a facility to treat all the hazardous waste we produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

cargo wrote: »
    Anyone know if this went online yet for commercial operation?

I believe they are at partial production now i.e. burning waste but perhaps not generating electrical energy yet.

Z

According to this article, Covanta plan to start construction of the incinerator in Poolbeg early next year.
    ‘‘The first project is the Poolbeg Peninsula, Dublin EfW plant that wil l treat 600,000 tonnes of waste per annum.We aim to secure financing by the end of this year to start construction by early 2012.
    Will be great to finally see it started.

Anyone know if they are fully operational yet and how's it running so far? Surely there must be a steady stream of traffic in and out if they are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

According to EirGrid, electricity from the Indavar facility is expected to be available from 19th December.

See the last line of page 3 of this PDF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 amoon04

The Meath plant has been processing waste since October. The plant has only been generating power to the grid since early January. Is is generating 18MW which is a over expectation to the planned output. Is a sucessfull operation

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

amoon04 wrote: »
    The Meath plant has been processing waste since October. The plant has only been generating power to the grid since early January. Is is generating 18MW which is a over expectation to the planned output. Is a sucessfull operation
    Thanks, Indaver employee who just registered.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Thanks, Indaver employee who just registered.

Thanks Spaceweek for your valued contribution to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bmccabe

just going for assessment today for indaver, any one know whats involved.bren

• Advertisement
Advertisement