Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland De-Facto Visa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sophie4187

FalconXV wrote: »
    I say your application must have been fine if they haven't got back to you about missing info.

Here's to hoping. My 3-month tourist visa expires in about a month... hoping I hear something by then. Sent everything you mentioned...though my partner is supporting me as I am on a tourist visa and can't work. Fingers crossed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭FalconXV

sophie4187 wrote: »
    Here's to hoping. My 3-month tourist visa expires in about a month... hoping I hear something by then. Sent everything you mentioned...though my partner is supporting me as I am on a tourist visa and can't work. Fingers crossed anyway.

You should get an answer soon. Surely you could just fly from London and back or just go to your local immigration gard and say that you are waiting on a visa application and see if they can stamp it for another 3 months you will probably have to pay 150 euros for a new GNIB card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

My girlfriend got her stamp 4 in September using the defacto relationship route. It was all quite painless really, but it did take around 4 months to get an answer.

In terms of evidence, we'd been living together for 9 months so we had lease and bills in our name but they still wanted things like wedding invitations, pictures and emails. It's weird, I never email my girlfriend about anything!

My girlfriend got her stamp 4 in September using the defacto relationship route. It was all quite painless really, but it did take around 4 months to get an answer.

In terms of evidence, we'd been living together for 9 months so we had lease and bills in our name but they still wanted things like wedding invitations, pictures and emails. It's weird, I never email my girlfriend about anything!

4 months is ridiculous was the whole department on holiday during the summer or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Yeah it does require background checks. No immigration department would grant visas without doing it.
    With respect, I think you are confusing what should happen and what does happen. I've seen no evidence to support the existence of these checks. I know that the Australian government does require these checks, in fact they require the applicant to obtain the police reports from the overseas jurisdictions. This would be one obvious reason why such background checks would not be possible for the INIS. They have no permission to request your personal information and you are not requested to provide it.

• Advertisement

4 months is ridiculous was the whole department on holiday during the summer or something?

That's just bureaucracy for you. You post stuff in, they post a letter back either asking for more info or to acknowledge what you got, that all lands in someone else'd in pile, they review it, someone else signs off on it, they got into another pile etc etc.

I would imagine that a lot of Irish nationals with foreign partners are applying for a visa this way, in particular gay couples for whom marriage isn't an option or in our case, marriage isn't desirable.

ballooba wrote: »
    With respect, I think you are confusing what should happen and what does happen. I've seen no evidence to support the existence of these checks. I know that the Australian government does require these checks, in fact they require the applicant to obtain the police reports from the overseas jurisdictions. This would be one obvious reason why such background checks would not be possible for the INIS. They have no permission to request your personal information and you are not requested to provide it.

As you have been residing in the state they can run police checks on you in Ireland. They wouldn't be telling me over the phone that my application is hands of other departments otherwise.

We were told to go to Burgh Quay if this issue arose. They should issue another 3 months.

That's just bureaucracy for you. You post stuff in, they post a letter back either asking for more info or to acknowledge what you got, that all lands in someone else'd in pile, they review it, someone else signs off on it, they got into another pile etc etc.

I would imagine that a lot of Irish nationals with foreign partners are applying for a visa this way, in particular gay couples for whom marriage isn't an option or in our case, marriage isn't desirable.

They said to me that my documents were fine it's now a waiting game.

As you have been residing in the state they can run police checks on you in Ireland. They wouldn't be telling me over the phone that my application is hands of other departments otherwise.
    You're making an assumption with insufficient basis in my opinion. I have seen no evidence that background checks are performed. I highly doubt they are performed by default, for the reasons outlined.

• Advertisement

They said to me that my documents were fine it's now a waiting game.

Well, looking at your previous post, you've got more info than myself and my girlfriend did so I think you'll be fine!

You're making an assumption with insufficient basis in my opinion. I have seen no evidence that background checks are performed. I highly doubt they are performed by default, for the reasons outlined.

You are naive to think that otherwise they will be giving visas to people left right and centre.

Well, looking at your previous post, you've got more info than myself and my girlfriend did so I think you'll be fine!

I hope so. My previous employer is being very patient with this. I have contacted my local TD to help my case.

You are naive to think that otherwise they will be giving visas to people left right and centre.
    Again, with respect, I think you are the one being naive. You're making assumptions on the basis of what you think should happen. There is no evidence to back up your assertions. I've outlined what I believe to be the case. You seem to be of a differing view, which is your prerogative.

Again, with respect, I think you are the one being naive. You're making assumptions on the basis of what you think should happen. There is no evidence to back up your assertions. I've outlined what I believe to be the case. You seem to be of a differing view, which is your prerogative.

No point in arguing with you. I am glad you aren't in Government running an immigration department. You should join Fianna Fail they like bent people

No point in arguing with you. I am glad you aren't in Government running an immigration department. You should join Fianna Fail they like bent people
    That's a ridiculous (and defamatory) statement, again completely without basis. Any statement I have made is on the basis of how the department is run. I've made no reference to how I think it should be run. You on the other hand have made assertions about how the department is run that are completely devoid of reality, and based purely on shoddy hypotheses. Your posts here are frankly unhelpful, in my opinion, as they are misleading.

That's a ridiculous (and defamatory) statement, again completely without basis. Any statement I have made is on the basis of how the department is run. I've made no reference to how I think it should be run. You on the other hand have made assertions about how the department is run that are completely devoid of reality, and based purely on shoddy hypotheses. Your posts here are frankly unhelpful, in my opinion, as they are misleading.

It's up to other people to decide on what advice (which is what this thread is all about) they take from here. It's an opinion forum and if you don't like what people write so be it don't shoot them down for it. Grow up.

Absolutely, I've quite respectfully disagreed with your hypotheses. It's up to others what opinion they form. It's a difficult process and there's plenty of misinformation to fill the vacuum. Best of luck with your application.

Just rang the GNIB and they said that a letter has been sent out yesterday. A nervous wait. Will probably get it tomorrow

Got letter from INIS in the mail, requesting for a clearer copy of a page in my passport, as well as evidence of all finances available to me (i.e. 6 month bank statements, payslips, etc.)

I'm confused about the latter, as we sent in a copy of my partner's bank statement, our joint bank statement, as well as my bank statement from the United States. We also included my partner's most recent payslips. I don't have any payslips, as the times I have been here in Ireland, I have not been legally able to work. When I was on my Working Holiday Visa, I was also unable to find work, so I don't have any payslips for myself.

My partner makes 1200 every 2 weeks and has been supporting me each time I've stayed here.

Should I just send in bank statements from further back, as well as more payslips from my partner?

Also, about my passport - it says if the page is hard to read, I'll need to send it in, via registered post, which is fine, however - I have a trip booked to the UK on the 3-5 of November, which I'll need my passport for. Do you think I'll get it back in time?

• Advertisement

If you can get a job offer it will greatly enhance your chances in my opinion. As for sending in your passport, a decent quality colour copy should be legible? or is the page completely illegible anyway?

I sent in a decent copy but the stamp was obviously out of ink that day.... it is extremely faint!

Try turning up the contrast on a black & white copier. Although photocopying an already faint stamp might bleach it further.

Got letter from INIS in the mail, requesting for a clearer copy of a page in my passport, as well as evidence of all finances available to me (i.e. 6 month bank statements, payslips, etc.)

I'm confused about the latter, as we sent in a copy of my partner's bank statement, our joint bank statement, as well as my bank statement from the United States. We also included my partner's most recent payslips. I don't have any payslips, as the times I have been here in Ireland, I have not been legally able to work. When I was on my Working Holiday Visa, I was also unable to find work, so I don't have any payslips for myself.

My partner makes 1200 every 2 weeks and has been supporting me each time I've stayed here.

Should I just send in bank statements from further back, as well as more payslips from my partner?

Also, about my passport - it says if the page is hard to read, I'll need to send it in, via registered post, which is fine, however - I have a trip booked to the UK on the 3-5 of November, which I'll need my passport for. Do you think I'll get it back in time?

Maybe you need to get a relative to put some money in your account, print off a statement and you can send it back to them when you have resubmitted the details to GNIB.

Try and copy your passport again. I looked at every page I photocopied to make sure it was legible before I posted the app out. Some of the stamps I get in Ireland are ridiculous as they are faded when they stamp it at the airport. Itineraries are handy to reconcile your trips so they can match it with the stamp on your passport. You should have rang them up today (you will have to try again next Thursday) and explain your situation about your UK trip. You should have photocopies of your passport when you travel anyway. The other option is to go up to Burgh Quay and get them to photocopy it there and you will have your passport back.

Ya, I thought about having my mom or dad put some money in as my US account doesn't have much in it at all since I use our joint account here.... but won't it look odd with the big amount of money going in?

About the passport.... I got the letter requesting the other things today, after the helpline had already closed - OF COURSE! I also looked and made sure everything was legible but the stamp was completely faded so I didn't know what to do, so I sent as is.

Going through all my partner's payslips of the last 6 months and sending them in; along with bank statements from 6 months until now - that's all I can do. I put in the letter that since I am not allowed to work, my partner has been supporting me. I am just unclear as to how I would be making money and adding to my US account if I can't work.

Trusting everything should be fine when I mail everything back in! Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

I got my letter today confirming that I have received a Stamp 4 for 12 months massive relief.
    Ya, I thought about having my mom or dad put some money in as my US account doesn't have much in it at all since I use our joint account here.... but won't it look odd with the big amount of money going in?

About the passport.... I got the letter requesting the other things today, after the helpline had already closed - OF COURSE! I also looked and made sure everything was legible but the stamp was completely faded so I didn't know what to do, so I sent as is.

Going through all my partner's payslips of the last 6 months and sending them in; along with bank statements from 6 months until now - that's all I can do. I put in the letter that since I am not allowed to work, my partner has been supporting me. I am just unclear as to how I would be making money and adding to my US account if I can't work.

Trusting everything should be fine when I mail everything back in! Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

A lot of people I know get family members to transfer money in to their account for visa apps. Just as long as it's not a lump sum and it's seeking permission to remain so have to prove that you aren't relient on the state. Do you have VHI or other private insurance cover? That's important too. They should have told you in writing why they are querying your finances, the people at the help desk don't give much away on the phone. I sent in my bank statements from Australia as I had been working there recently.

If you don't get a response back by Nov 3 you will have to go up to Burgh Quay to get your passport back.

I got my letter today confirming that I have received a Stamp 4 for 12 months massive relief.
    Congratulations. Your next challenge is to get the physical stamp (and your GNIB card?). You've already had a Stamp 3, so you're familiar with the process?

Congratulations. Your next challenge is to get the physical stamp (and your GNIB card?). You've already had a Stamp 3, so you're familiar with the process?

Thanks. Yeah have to wait till the immigration gard is on duty. She works random hours. It will be my fourth GNIB card in the space of 2 years. 150 Euro a pop nice money raising (at least the actual application only cost the price of postage. Australia charges a grand for the similar visa).

(at least the actual application only cost the price of postage. Australia charges a grand for the similar visa).
    At least you get what you pay for in Aus. ;)

• Advertisement

Well maybe. Lad I went to school with waited 6 months for a Fiancee visa for his Scottish lass. Talk about torture. Lucky he was over in Aus working so they didn't have to find a place to live.

Advertisement